Masters Running

Saturedaily 11/27 (Read 37 times)

bioguy

First day of deer hunting with shotguns, so I expect to hear a lot of shooting!

Jay was out early for 8 on a new route.

JLynne went to the Y for a workout; sounds like a nice Turkey Trot you did.

BTY started with a different weight training scheme; drives GN to eye dr for new glasses. 2650 yards in the pool too..

Karen’s streak is now 600 days! She adds another 5.1.

Doug many be adding a train room to the house. 17.25 mile ride on the trainer.

Holly paid a visit to the tree farm.

Evanflein makes me feel a tad wimpy what with her running when it is -7 degrees!

Dnaff is hitting the yoga mat.

Wildchild was running on the dirt roads for 6.

Mike is closing in on the pace bunny with 8 more miles. How do you feel after the booster; I was a bit “off” for one day.

Falcon ran 7.5 and walked pups.

Moebo ran 6.5 and had a nice pre-sunrise walk.

Quickadder reports 5.9.

Tet checked out the ice rink.

I ran 3 to test my legs. They got a D-.

Mrs Bio and I will go into town to the Christmas parade, then maybe an indoor bike ride is in the cards.

Have a greta Saturday!

Thanks for the start and recap, bio. I read an article in the NY Times a couple days ago about a woman who is the first official Black female professional triathlete, and among her other accomplishments is that she ran the JFK with you last week! You might even have seen her, albeit momentarily at the start (like I used to catch sight of the Kenyans at the old Crim 10-mile race for a few seconds at the starting gun).

Erika, that's freaking COLD!   I don't know how you do it.  It sometimes gets below zero here, but not very often!  Today it was in the 40s and I wore shorts on my run.  I also had a long sleeved shirt, jacket, and gloves, because of the wind, but hey, at least it was nice to wear shorts!  6 miles around the dirt roads here.

I'm surprised it's not often a lot colder than that at your altitude. Similarly it rarely gets sub-zero here either, but we're at 850 ft.

Roch, I like his setup.  Several years after dad had passed away mom gave the balsa wood models he'd made (some I had helped him with) to one of my sisters.  It included a Sopwith Camel and Fokker Dr.1 Triplane.  Together we usually did WWII aircraft (P-47, P-51, Spitfire, Fw-190, etc).

That's actually the setup in my shop -- not his place. I'm the one with the more nostalgic memories of his childhood . BTW, those model planes you spotted on the top shelf -- a Nieuport and a Fokker -- go back to my days playing some of the early PC games. A favorite was called "Red Baron" and was of course all about WWI dogfighting. Do they still have that sort of thing on Playstations or whatever? If so, they must be graphically astounding compared to the days of VGA screens!

No workouts today, but a lot of chores of various sorts around the house, cleaning up from Thanksgiving and getting the Christmas decorations out from the storage under the basement steps (during which, from experience, I wear an old hard hat!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start 'n recap, Bioguy. Sorry your legs didn't pass the test, but they'll get there. Enjoy the parade and the ride.

I also don't know how Erika deals with the cold up in her neck 'o the woods. I guess it is what you get used to, and how well you dress for the weather. But it makes me feel like I have no right to ever complain about cold temps.

I also have to get Christmas decorations up from the basement, Roch. But we probably won't put them up outside today unless the winds die down a bit. Great 'time-capsule moment' yesterday!

I'm streaking similarly to KSA, except that my pace bunny is set at 5 miles/day, and that I do all my miles outside. I also set a 1-mile minimum, but think the lowest I've done is 2. I hit my goal for the month this morning, so the next few days just add cushion. Barring any issues, I should get to 600 days at around the end of the year.

Congrats on the serendipitous 10K record, Moebo!

How'd you do with the booster, Mike? I was fine the day I got mine, but completely exhausted the next day, and then good again.

I never thought about hockey rink running. Maybe that is because there's no hockey rink near here.

I decided to snooze a bit this morning and wait till it was just starting to get light out so I could go headlampless. So I didn't head out till a few ticks passed 6. I had on an extra s/s shirt to give me some protection from the 15-20 mph winds, and was fine with that. I created another new route this morning, trying to maximize the time/distance when I had the wind at my back. I went 6.2 RW miles, and managed negative splits just for the fun of it.

Today, we're doing some local shopping, including stops at Wicked Flannel, Lindt Chocolate, Trader Joe's, and the running store in Portsmouth to pick up my new Topo Magnifly 3s.

Have a greta Satureday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

Thanks for the start Bio.

Jay, LIndt chocolate and new Topo's. Life is good!

The forecast called for a wintry mix but the skies looked clear.  A block into my walk, the skies darkened and let loose the "mix".

My cranky IT band was already complaining so I cut it short.  Upper body strength training still on tap today.  As are turkey enchiladas - gotta get rid of that bird.

Unlike those of you bringing your Christmas decorations 'up' from the basement, mine have to come 'down' from the attic.  Hard hat recommended for this operation too.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Here are a couple of shots of DS and his GF yesterday at the tree farm..

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, christmas tree, outdoors and text that says 'SANTA CLAUS LANE'

May be an image of 2 people, christmas tree and outdoors

May be an image of 3 people, people standing, outdoors and tree

And the finished product:

May be an image of christmas tree and indoor

More laying around for me today watching too much TV.  I feel like such a slug.  Today is probably the last day I will take pain pills - they just make me feel sluggish and nauseous - and just deal with it with Tylenol and Ibuprophen.  Nothing really takes away the pain entirely, but it is what it is. Hopefully another week will reduce it to minimal.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, bioguy.  Holly- great pictures and beautiful tree.  I guess I need to drag some stuff up from the basement.  At least the Advent calendar.  The tree won't arrive until about the 9th.  I'll put the worse-for-wear stuffed Mr and Mrs Santas on the porch railroad bench.  My daughter thinks they are creepy looking and the stuffing could use replacing.....

7 outside miles over at the path.  I wasn't feeling great, but managed to get it done.  But- the reward!

May be an image of 1 person

Steve is camping!  Jay- those are good personal streak rules.  Congratulations on keeping it up!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - nice.

I liked the red hat too.

ps - I guess I missed it

but what is "Steve is camping

all about."  Did DW throw him out?

Holly - very nice.

Everything seems to be white

or clear lights around here.

Doug - neat about the NYT article.

I always thought it was mostly

erika-land cold in wildchild-land too.

ps - are any of your virtual rides

in bad weather or all nice and sunny?

BTY - I always though pool laps were so boring but they'd be fun with all the variety you can do.

But it makes me feel like I have no right to ever complain about cold temps.

Jay - fortunately, except for the 2005 Christmas Marathon with Econo running too, I've never run when it's below freezing.  However, running so many hypothermic, marathons at 40F or lower in driving rains more than makes up for it.

I should get to 600 days at around the end of the year.

Jay - fantastic, especially considering most all of your miles come when everyone else is still asleep.  What year did you start your morning daily runs and will 600 be your PR streak?  However, sounds like you might run in all kinds of weather more than any of us.

there's no hockey rink near here.

Jay - I bet there's lots of Norman Rockwell ponds I remember from SEP days for ice skating, though.

Giclee Painting: Rockwell's Grandpa and Me: Ice Skating, 16x16in.

s/s

Topo Magnifly 3s. 

? ?

Circuited around the island’s only waterfront park in a balmy 50F and every-so-slightly drizzly rain discovering on way back on a slightly different route another of the city’s white-lighted trees as my stomach, which had already been sick-and-tired of turkey left-overs yesterday could hardly wait for some more this morning to get ready for the penultimate day of the fall sumo tournament followed immediately by a certain football game in hopes of a different outcome than the last ten years.

No matter what, it’s all going to turn good with an Econo lunch for my first RA meet-up since the Portland Marathon in 2016

May be an image of sky, tree and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Looks nice, tet!  Enjoy the meetup!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

3.2 this morning. A feel good run. Even ran up most of the hills that I would normally walk.

Delivery guys brought me some new Brooks Glycerin 19 shoes and new wireless headphones. Cleer Goal earbuds designed for handling sweat so I can listen to some podcasts when I go to the gym.  My Aftershokz let in too much of the surrounding sound and the music at the gym drowns out what I am trying to listen to.

Went to the local running store to have a look around. Got some socks, a new belt for carrying a phone and stuff, and a clip on light that doesn't work.  I will try some new batteries and see what happens/

Happy post-Thanksgiving friends!!

Decided to sleep in a little this morning then ended up texting a friend last minute to see if she wanted to get in a workout together and she did!!

3 mile walk, full body, upper body and core Peleton workouts, 15 minute Tabata ride on the Peleton - my friend did a 30 minute Peleton ride while I did the upper body and core workouts - it was great!!

Need to get a few things done around the house before 4pm mass then figure out something for dinner with dh. Work 12 hour shifts the next 2 days so will have little time for workouts.  Enjoy your weekend!!

denise

did an ez 5k @ 26:00 this morning cuz I haven't run in a few days, and the Ducks game is at 12:30.

Hopefully I'll have time for a decent run tomorrow. Weather still great here for at least 10 days ahead.

Having some kind of foot pain for the last couple weeks, nothing major but I don't want it to become major.

Congrats to the streakers and the tree hunters!

Tet; try not to drown.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Heading up I-5 with Herr Wegetarian to meet Tetsujin for a Chinese food lunch. Tet, we’ll be there on time unless traffic slows to a crawl like it did in Chehalis.

So, Little Econo announces out of the blue that he’s purchased his entry to the Acadia Half Marathon. Sounds exotic to us — Maine! I accused him of selecting a race from a list in alphabetical order. He and his GF don’t drive and he has no sense of direction, so I hope it’s a well-populated race to enable him to just follow others. I’m just glad there’s an airport there, which makes logistics a lot easier.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Weather still great here for at least 10 days ahead.

. . . 

Tet; try not to drown.

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎Sun 11/28 56°|51°F |51°F Mon 11/29 55° 50°F Tue 11/30 53° 51°F Wed 12/1 55°48°F 55° |48°F 50° Rain 0.57in ויוין Rain 0.5in AM Light Rain 0.11in Showers 0.29in AM Showers 0.13in AM Showers 0.01in Dew Point(‎'‎

Surly - I'd say I hate you but, in light of today's 42-27 first win in 10 years, I love everybody!

. . . the Ducks game is at 12:30.

Surly - good luck I hope Quack-Quacks do just as well (NOT NOT NOT)ps - Duck the _______!!!!!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, we’ll be there on time unless traffic slows to a crawl like it did in Chehalis.

Econo - no problem. Take your time.

I'd wait forever for you.

We can meet at Expo too

if more convenient

ed note: for some reason,

tet is very happy today.

See email, Tet — thanks!