Masters Running

Weds 4/8 Mastery Runs - Rest - and Healing (Read 592 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like everyone is still percolating right along, with a new Marathoner in our presence. Congratulations, Mariposa! ~
    Leslie - Mariposai isn't a new marathoner. I think she's run 8 (?) so far, but this one coming up could be smashing - her training certainly has been fabulous!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Hello again. Added a 1500 yard swim at lunch. .. Mariposai, I loved your story about your son. My DD 15 would be horrified if I appeared at a track workout. She is in a bad phase these days, at least I hope it is a phase. ... barely civil to us; she is a good student and does several sports but she seems determined to show as little enthusiasm as possible for anything and to back off if she starts doing really well. Very frustrating... some day I hope to look back and laugh! Cheers.
        That's a kind of personal question, isn't it? Tongue Regardless, I hope to finish in less than 3:35. Anything better than that and I'll be ecstatic. So I don't get ahead of myself, I have to keep reminding myself how tough this course is.
        Wow, it's as if I wrote the response to my question. Boston is the only marathon I've run that I feel I haven't run well at, and a 3:35:59 will get me another BQ so that is what will make me happy...anything better and I too will be ecstatic. We'll see how things go, and make a final determination as to what pace I'll aim for come maraton Monday depending on all the different factors etc. I would really like to run a 3:20 or better but as you said, I know how tough this course is. Oh by the way Tongue right back at ya! Big grin Headed out for an easy 5 now.
        dg.

No time to catch up again.... Leslie, welcome back! Mary, you really know how to motivate. Wink. enke, get better. It's your turn. lamerunner, (((()))).
            Leslie - Mariposai isn't a new marathoner. I think she's run 8 (?) so far, but this one coming up could be smashing - her training certainly has been fabulous!
            Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tammy, I cried all along the course when I ran Boston the first time out of sheer emotion. The wonderful volunteers kept stopping me to ask if I was ok. Off to find some sidewalk amidst the snow that STILL HAS NOT MELTED, sorry, but I'm really tired of snow and besides, maybe getting a little fiery about it will help it melt! That is so true, about teens and parents. Congrats on many levels, Mari. Glad to see you excited, Ribs! The UConn Women's defense has been spot on all year, so a fitting end to the season. I was keeping track of the Boston Globe game blog yesterday. At exactly 16 minutes into the season (just after Pedey's homah), one of the Nation typed in "Cue the Duck Boats!" I love Boston. OK, I know this is a running forum, but since many of us are heading to Boston soon, I feel a sort sense of responsibility to be sure all my friends and fellow runners here will be sure and confident in being to discuss all matters of import with the locals. Clowning around grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
                Holly - On your race report, you mentioned using Skin Shield for blister prevention. Is that something you get over the counter? I have a tendency to have big blister problems. I've sort of found a solution, but am always looking for something better, easier to use, etc., etc.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wednesday - 5.02 miles - 40:49 - 8:08 - Avg HR 131 Max HR 142 - Cloudy, windy & 43° 8:20 - 8:11 - 8:03 - 8:05 - 7:58 - 0:09 Right hip was a little stiff the first mile or so, but was fine after that.
                  wildchild

Carolyn

Aamos, what the heck does "cue the duck boats" mean? Confused Leslie, welcome home! I've been to Australia twice, and DH has been about 8 times now. My favorite part was Tasmania - did you make it down there? Lamerunner, I hope your DD decides her moody phase isn't much fun and tries a happy phase! We've been very lucky with our DD 16 - she's always had a sunny disposition, and teenagerhood has been a joy (so far, knock on wood!) I was never in 4-H, but I was in Girl Scouts, and I think with both, the quality really depends on your troop leader. My sister was in a cool scout troop that went camping, but my troop just sang songs and did stupid merit badges. So when DD was in kindergarten and they were looking for a troop leader for the Daisy scout troop, I volunteered because I figured I knew how to be a cool troop leader. We took the kids tent camping, but one thing that really pissed me off was that most of the other women on the trip had their husbands come by to set up the tents. What kind of message does that send to girls? Angry Warm here in Denver again today, 70° and sunny, so I adjusted my goals accordingly and ran 5 slow miles, 11:29 avg pace, but with no walk breaks. Yesterday I ran the first couple of miles too fast, and had to take walk breaks after that because my heart rate was getting too high.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

Here's a duck boat in Seattle. I assume it is a similar touristy thing. I lived for 3 1/2 years downtown along the ducks' route. The quack quack quacking never got old. No siree.

TammyinGP

in my almost 10 yrs of living in Seattle, I never did 'ride the duck' . . . am wondering if I missed out on a crucial aspect of the Seattle experience? Roll eyes

Tammy

Tamster, are you thinking about any kind of target MP just yet? I was thinking my HMP might be similar to your MP, in which case I could pace you nice and slow the first 13 miles, and after that you can rip up the course! dg- yes, my turn will come. It is fun watching other people's training and progress even though I can't get out there yet. I am getting softer and squishier by the day. I am really craving an endorphin-soaked trail run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos, what the heck does "cue the duck boats" mean? Confused .
                            After the first Boston World Series victory in 2004, the victory parade was in the local fleet of duck boats. it included a trip into the Charles River, which featured David Ortiz wearing a life jacket. 2007 was also via duck boats, but no river. Not David, but a pretty decent crew, nonetheless.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Tamster, are you thinking about any kind of target MP just yet? I was thinking my HMP might be similar to your MP, in which case I could pace you nice and slow the first 13 miles, and after that you can rip up the course!
                              Thanks Enke. I do want to run with you! Not sure I'll be ripping up any courses though! LOL As far as pace goes, I haven't given it much thought really. I've had HM times that range anywhere from 1:54 to 2:07ish, so quite a spread really. I think once I get into my longer runs, like over 17 miles, then I might have a better idea of what is realistic for me. and one thing I've learned about myself and perhaps this is true for most, is that when I go into a race with a certain pace goal in mind and if I don't achieve it for whatever reason, I get real disappointed in myself and somehow feel that I've failed. I remember feeling that way when I ran the Eugene HM. I wanted to beat or be very close to my PR of 1:54 and when I missed that goal (I ran it in 2:00: xx), I feel like I failed the whole HM. And I don't want to walk away (or hobble as the case may be) from my first Marathon feeling disappointed in myself for not achieving some arbitrary goal I set for myself. So, I'm almost leaning towards "no goal but to finish" and just let the race come to me as it is - pick up the pace when I feel good, slow it down when I need to, and just savor each moment, rather than thinking "oh, I fell 30 secs behind my goal pace, so now I have to make it up" . . . but since I'm female, I reserve the right to change my mind and adjust my plans as many times as I want to over the next 79 days. Tongue

Tammy

xor

in my almost 10 yrs of living in Seattle, I never did 'ride the duck' . . . am wondering if I missed out on a crucial aspect of the Seattle experience? Roll eyes
                                The duck gives a unique perspective of the city (most cities with ducks, I'm sure) BUT you really have to be in the mood for the duck driver's shenanigans and the goofy music. And the experience can augmented +/- greatly by your fellow passengers. I dunno. The duck was ok. Better than the underground tour, which could have been very very interesting but was way too short and I didn't actually get to see much. Both were more fun than the space needle though. Way too $$$. Because of the hills in our city, you can get pretty awesome views just by going to the top of queen anne, capitol hill, or riding the water taxi over to west seattle and looking back towards downtown.