Masters Running

Alternatives to Gels for Marathons? (Read 675 times)

evanflein

Like Byll, I have a pretty solid stomach and can tolerate just about anything. I do not, however, like anything chewy like the sport beans or cliff shot bloks because they stick in my teeth and I have a terrible time getting them out. And then there's the whole breathing while running and chewing thing... And if I get too distracted by what's going on neck up, I end up tripping. Just call me grace.

I've settled on the chocolate outrage Gu because it reminds me of licking out the bowl of brownie batter and it has a nice jolt of caffeine. Second choice is the vanilla... reminds me of vanilla sandwich cookies.

Prince of Fatness

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but is nothing an option?  I've only run two marathons.  The first I took nothing and the second I had a fig newton at the half way point.  I didn't notice any difference.

To this day I still wonder whether all of this fueling stuff is really necessary.

Not at it at all. 

Shot Blocks from Cliff Bar.  Each is 33 calories. which studies indicate is about ideal for refueling.  Take one every 20 minutes.  Hate chewing?  Use it as a sucker!  My TP does that.  Me?  I cannot resist just eating it as I go.  

MrPHinNJ numerous studies show that fueling in any endurance event lasting an hour or more improves performance.  The only debate these days is about how much and how often.  Even then the argument is just about tweaking things.  Every 15 or 20 minutes?  30 calories a shot or 35?  Trivia unless you plan to win the next marathon you enter.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but is nothing an option?  I've only run two marathons.  The first I took nothing and the second I had a fig newton at the half way point.  I didn't notice any difference.

To this day I still wonder whether all of this fueling stuff is really necessary.

Good point. I frequently don't take anything on my long runs, sometimes not even water, but that's not often. With all the emphasis on Gu and sports drink, you wonder what runners did before those things were commonplace?

Renee the dog

No, I have enough fuel on my thighs to get me through!   

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

MrPHinNJ numerous studies show that fueling in any endurance event lasting an hour or more improves performance.  The only debate these days is about how much and how often.  Even then the argument is just about tweaking things.  Every 15 or 20 minutes?  30 calories a shot or 35?  Trivia unless you plan to win the next marathon you enter.

I hate to start a debate here but sometimes I wonder what's behind these studies.  Admittedly I'm not an experienced marathoner but I've done many training runs in the 2.5 - 3 hour range with either just a little water or nothing at all and have been fine.  The marathon is the only race where I even consider food or drink.  I just ran a half over the weekend.  No food.  No water.  Did fine.

I just wonder if we as runners over think this topic.  I've seen countless threads on this topic, many opinions and experiences, but never a concrete conclusion.

Not at it at all. 

Well, I might as well throw my 2 cents worth in and see what sticks.  I'm coming at this with 50k and longer trail running in mind, but my coach (who has completed triathalons, marathons, century bike rides, ultra trail runs) and I have talked extensively about this.  But as he says, each person is a science of one, and you have to figure out what works best for you.

It's recommended that for any long distance/endurance activity, you begin taking in fuel after an hour, BUT, you should be drinking from the start.  If you don't, then it's harder for the stomach to digest the fuel when you start taking it in.  For me, fuel is solid food and Clif shot blocks.  So much blood is going to the legs, that there's not as much to help the stomach, which is why dumping solids on it with no fluid in there to help can cause nausea.  My solid food preferences are fig bars, Clif Mojo Mountain Mix bars, bananas, boiled potatoes, and sometimes PBJ.  I don't do pretzel 'cause my mouth gets so dry, and chips (i.e. Ruffles) are too greasy and nauseate me.

Remember with Clif shots (and I presume gels?), you have to drink fluids after eating one to make them work.

The maximum amount of calories a body can digest in an hour is 260, and the average amount of carbs is 40 or so.  You have to take into consideration not only the "solids," but your "liquids," as well.  An excellent source of carbs are boiled potatoes with skins on.  I carry a sandwich baggy with me that I put food in from the aid stations, zip it up, then either stuff it in my waist pack, or split the food down the  middle of the bag and hook it over the belt of my pack (so that part of the food in the baggy is on each side of the belt).  It bumps around, but it doesn't bother me.

Re S-caps/salt pill, it's recommended that you take one per 20 oz bottle of fluids.  If it's a hot day, you may need up to 2 per bottle.  Even if you don't feel like you're sweating a lot (because it's cold), you are.   Some stomachs can't' tolerate the salt pills, so Endurolytes are another option.

I have a sensitive stomach, as well, and I've resorted to using the nausea medication I got after my gall bladder surgery.  It's called Phenergan.  I take half at least 20 minutes before I start a long run, and sometimes, halfway through, I have to take another.  It's made a big difference.

Also, nausea can be caused from being low on salt (which can also cause diarrhea), not having enough fuel in you (low on carbs/calories), or too many calories (which was my case this past weekend).  In an effort to get a better handle on all this, I  make up my baggies of food the night before my long run and mark on each what is in it and how many calories.  I calculate the amount of calories in each, keeping in mind the amount of fluids I will be taking in, as well.  I am also going to go back to marking my bottles at 6 oz increments.  Every 20 minutes, I will eat a little bit of something and drink 6 oz of fluids, with the goal being that at the end of an hour (beginning in the second hour) I've consumed approximately 260 calories.  Somehow, by sheer luck I presume, I managed this consumption as SOB and wasn't doing the dread death march at the end.

I don't know how well all this translates for road marathons, but I do know that is very much they way it's done in trail running.  If you have a well put-together trail run, it's a veritable smorgasboard at the aid stations.  As far as running and chewing, I take the minute or so to walk and eat, knowing that in doing so, I will (hopefully) avoid the death march.

So that's my 2 cents.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Holly: 

You asked about fuel for a "marathon or ultra"  IMHO they are two different animals.  Years ago on CR someone on the ultra board (As I recall)  said a marathon is the longest race that is aerobically limited.  Ultras and Iron distance races are metabolically limited.  The point was,  with proper training,  You could "Almost" store enough fuel to run a marathon.  a few gels with water and a little gatorade, and proper strategy would get you to the finish.

No one can store enough fuel for iron distance or ultra races so the challenge becomes how fast you can refuel..  I have heard Ultras described as buffets with running between.  You see M&M's Potatos,  soup,  hamburgers,  gummy bears choclate,  anything you can imagine at the aid stations and people milling around until the decide to grab a potato and start walking out of the station,  or maybe start jogging away.

You are an experienced marathoner.  I know you can decide what works for you.  but the above made sense to me.  that is why I don't really like gummies and such during marathons (at least when I was faster) but I am happy to throw them on my bike for a long ride since I always have a water bottle.

FWIW  Dave

fatozzig you have a well read coach.

MrPHinNJ you can do what you like but in the academic literature on sports performance and fueling there is not much of a debate.  If you look up a few of the studies done in the last 10 or so years you will see that they are pretty much unanimous: fuel early, often, and in small amounts.

The following quote comes from the review article, Hawley, John and Louise Burke, 1997, "Effect of meal frequency and timing on physical performance," British Journal of Nutrition, 77, Suppl. 1, 591-5103

INCREASING CARBOHYDRATE AVAILABILITY DURING EXERCISE: EFFECT OF TIME OF
                    FEEDINGS ON METABOLISM AND ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE

There is now strong evidence that increasing the availability of CHO during prolonged,
                    moderate-intensity exercise can improve work capacity. The majority of well-controlled
                    trials employing either prolonged cycling (Brooke et al. 1975; Bjorkman et al. 1984; Coyle
                    et al. 1986; Blom et al. 1987; Coggan & Coyle, 1987, 1988, 1989; Anantaraman et al.
                    1995; Below et al. 1995; Jeukendrup et al. 1997) or treadmill running (Macaraeg, 1983;
                    Sasaki et al. 1987; Williams et al. 1990) have shown significant improvements in exercise
                    ‘performance’ with CHO ingestion (Table 1).

For the curious, CHO stands for carbohydrates.  The article also discusses the impact of various dietary regimes both before and after exercise as well the above section on concurrent with exercise.  There are more recent articles on all three topics.  But, the basic result that eating during an endurance event remains solid.  This is not surprising given as the authors put it "strong evidence" already existed in 1997 that you should take in fuel while in an endurance competition.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat - There is no way I could have gotten as far as I have without my coach.  He is very smart and has a ton of experience in all different areas of endurance.  I am very lucky to have him on my side and rehash my progress with him on almost a weekly basis.

I'd also like to add the following to my previous post:

I've started eating a serving of oatmeal about 2 hrs before my long runs on Saturdays (no milk or butter, just a little bit of sugar).  This gives me enough fuel for the first hour of running.  It's definitley made a difference.

Also because of my back-to-back long runs which I've started and will be doing for some time, on my 2nd long run on Sundays (13 miles right now but will be increasing), I not only have my fluids (Succeed Ultra) which I am drinking every 20 minutes from the start, but I am ingesting 1 Clif shot block every 20 minutes after the first hour.  Again, I've felt the difference.  My coach has recommended, however, that because I am starting out in somewhat of a deficit from the day before, if I don't eat 2 hrs prior to running, then I should start taking in fuel - not just fluids - from the get go.

I realize that what I am doing right now is a bit extreme, but I know some of you turn around do somewhat lengthy runs the day after your long runs, or even do a significant amount of cross training.  It might help to play around and add the extra fuel to see if you feel a difference.  Although I don't consume the Ultra during my XT days, because those workouts are up to 1.5 hrs in length, I drink at least 20 oz of water (if not more) and upon completion, down a large glass of milk with Olvaltine.  It really has helped me "bounce back" after those workouts.

(Not sure if I've hijacked the thread with all this, but maybe it'll help someone.  )

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Prince of Fatness

MrPHinNJ you can do what you like but in the academic literature on sports performance and fueling there is not much of a debate.  If you look up a few of the studies done in the last 10 or so years you will see that they are pretty much unanimous: fuel early, often, and in small amounts.

Maybe I misworded my post.  My intention was more wondering out loud than anything.  I really don't know.  I haven't had any experience that coincides with what you are saying Twocat, that's all.  That doesn't mean that I am right (although I do believe that people over think the fueling thing for shorter races, half on in).

Maybe I need to experiment more.

Not at it at all. 

Tramps

Good thread, Holly.  This stuff is important so it's nice to revisit from time to time.

Excellent posts, Leslie.  Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Twocat--as usual, thanks for bringing in the science.

MrPHinNJ--a couple of things seem relevant.  First, for me, paying the price for not fueling properly comes at the end of the marathon.  I'm golden for about 2.5 hours, can make it fine for another half hour, then WHAM!  any lack of fuel kills me in that last half hour.  Glycogen depletion, I suppose.  Second, pace is important, too.  I can--and often will--do an easy 20-mile training run at around a 9:00-9:15 pace with just water.  Fuel's not really an issue.  But "racing" (such as it is for me) at an 8:00-minute pace is a whole different ballgame. Without adequate fuel early and often, I'd be walking by mile 20.

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Leslie,

I was surprised that you take Phenergan before or during a long run.  I used to give this to patients and it always left them sleepy... one of the "benefits" of the medicine when patients desired rest.  Have you spoken with your doctor about the risks involved with taking this prescription during endurance events?  I don't know if there are any but, I worry about "off label" use.... ha ha.  I guess the last sentence in the piece below has that covered...

Phenergan is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body.

Phenergan is used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, hives, anditchy skin rashes.

Phenergan also prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea and vomiting or pain after surgery. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.

Phenergan may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I ran my first marathon basically with no fuel. I only had water and a piece of orange around the half mark.  That had been the way I had "trained" and I made it in a respectable , for me ,time, 4:05. 

My second long race was an Ultra, 50M and there I didn't hold back with the fuel, I was so worried about making it to the finish that I made sure I had something solid at each aid station. Ever since then, I never run long without  at least a few Clif Bloks, in fact I start taking then after about 1 hour of running and keep it going. 

Very true Dave, the Ultras aid stations are like banquets.....at the last one I even grabbed an almond frosted cupcake( delicious) and ate it while running...I'm lucky my stomach is strong enough to take that.. 

At the end of the day I think it has become for me a mental issue, I'm sure  I could run a marathon with far fewer Bloks than I take ( every half hour or so) but my mind is now conditioned to think that I'll bonk  if don't. Even for a Half I tend to take a couple at the half way point.  Who knows, maybe if I managed the whole thing better I could run faster ,but on the other hand I always finish my races pretty strong and recover very quickly.

There you go, my very unscientific experience!

Francesca

#artbydmcbride

MrPHinNJ, I think you have an excellent point.  Marathoners used to not eat anything during the race and the elites finished in 2:09 etc without gus and gels.  

Some of these 'studies' find out what the researchers want to find.

Runners run