Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.7.17 (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

The Weatherman said

if we had a Brass Monkey out in the yard,

it's time to bring it in.......

Tammy - love the help with the rescues - a great cause.

My mother gave me a set of 36 Berta Hummel Christmas Ornaments many years ago, complete with their box and Certificates of Authenticity.  Mostly they have stayed in the box ever since - I am not into collectibles and have always considered Hummel-type figurines as, well, "old lady" taste.  (Gotta be careful saying that, as I'm getting up there myself...).  At any rate, I am on a mission to clear stuff out of the house, and every weekend something goes, one way or another.  I didn't know anyone to give these ornaments to, so I put them up for sale on E-Bay without much hope that they would sell and, lo and behold, they sold in one day, for $155 plus $12.15 S&H.  Who knew it would be that easy?  I am new to E-Bay selling, so I am not sure how much of a cut that E-Bay and PayPal take, but still, something got cleared out of my house and I got some money for it, so I am happy.

7 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tammy - love the help with the rescues - a great cause.

My mother gave me a set of 36 Berta Hummel Christmas Ornaments many years ago, complete with their box and Certificates of Authenticity.  Mostly they have stayed in the box ever since - I am not into collectibles and have always considered Hummel-type figurines as, well, "old lady" taste.  (Gotta be careful saying that, as I'm getting up there myself...).  At any rate, I am on a mission to clear stuff out of the house, and every weekend something goes, one way or another.  I didn't know anyone to give these ornaments to, so I put them up for sale on E-Bay without much hope that they would sell and, lo and behold, they sold in one day, for $155 plus $12.15 S&H.  Who knew it would be that easy?  I am new to E-Bay selling, so I am not sure how much of a cut that E-Bay and PayPal take, but still, something got cleared out of my house and I got some money for it, so I am happy.

7 miles for me today on the TM.

Don't worry, Holly--we'll never be as old as our parents.  regardless what our kids might think.  I've been doing some ebaying of some of my mom's stuff and it's not a bad way of getting rid of stuff.  Of course, i think I might be losing money on some things, once fees, packing, etc are taken out.  which I think should end up around 8-10% for both.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

we 'give' our un-needed stuff to our kids to sell on eBay - they keep the money & we get rid of stuff - win, win

Henrun

3.1 sunny miles before cold winter arrives (in a few more days). Been having a swollen red big toe. Saw podiatrist this morning and he said it’s a bruise accompanied by some Reynauds (cold related), Should wear thicker socks and run on softer surfaces. Ran a couple of reservoir paths this week- mostly packed dirt-and run in warmer climate (which we plan on doing soon).

Tramps

Marj--I'm familiar with the options out there, I just haven't figured out what I need and what combinations work at what temps.  I'm hoping maybe SantaBee provides me with more options soon.   And, no, I'm not riding in any snow.

Stumpy--no. 

You could send them all to me, Dave, and watch my priceless expression!

+1  

Leslie--you wouldn't like our nearby hunters....or the Quantico live fire exercises. Our windows rattle. Literally.

Tammy--nice that your car seems to be going to good use, in addition to bringing in a little cash.

Holly--Hummels on Ebay might give some people some ideas <<cough--Mike--cough>> 

Back to work.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a side thought re kids and cellphones - this summer I had DD put the "Find my IPhone" app on my phone so I could track her whereabouts without have to call or text.  I can't tell you how nice it is, and I have no problem being a stalker.  And she, in turn, is happier that I am not constantly calling or texting to check on her.  Right now as I sit at work 40 minutes away, I can see that she made it to work at Kroger on time for the 3rd day running.  

Tramps - "SantaBee" made me laugh...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Just a side thought re kids and cellphones - this summer I had DD put the "Find my IPhone" app on my phone so I could track her whereabouts without have to call or text.  I can't tell you how nice it is, and I have no problem being a stalker.  And she, in turn, is happier that I am not constantly calling or texting to check on her.  Right now as I sit at work 40 minutes away, I can see that she made it to work at Kroger on time for the 3rd day running.  

Tramps - "SantaBee" made me laugh...

Or at least her phone did. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

metalmancpa

I was able to get in 6.15 miles, overall 8:00/mile pace. I had no intention of running any faster than I have been. Splits were 8:22, 8:10, 8:04, 7:57, 7:33, 7:44. Had a slight tweak in the hamstring near the end of mile 5. We'll see how that goes. It's the first night/dark run I've done in a while. Right near the end had a coyote dart out across the road around 15 feet in front of me which was cool.

I took the day off so I could ferry the life accomplice out to Pt Reyes Station to go to some particular store for some particular thing.

BUT

We got back early enough that I got 7 miles in @7:58 before I had to go pick up the kids.

Lower 70's and still, again. We had real strong winds overnight, so I was sure there's be some weather today, but no. If those are the type of winds they're having down in SoCal, I can understand why the fires are out of control.

Stopped to look for spawning salmon in Lagunitas Creek at Samuel P Taylor State park, didn't see any. I'd never been to Pt Reyes Station before, it was cute. We had lunch at Cowgirl Creamery, did the localvore thing with all local cheese, bread, produce and cider all grown/made within 200' of the shop. All a write-off because she was doing research for her trade (health food industry). Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ebay: I'm an occasional seller and frequent buyer. I think I made around $1000 this year selling stuff. Some of it is bike parts I've had for years, some clothing. I often find expensive Goretex jackets from Patagonia, North Face, etc. in thrift stores for $5-10, and put them up for auction on Ebay and get $50-150 for them. I was surprised how high I sold an old Sony MiniDV camcorder for, probably more than I paid when I got it on Ebay 7-8 years ago. It's an easy way to make extra money and reduce the load at the same time.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

I tell ya, someone lit a firecracker under Stumpy today, geez! Not missing a beat there.

Tramps, ditto on the Hummel doodads on e-bay for ahem <Mike> someone...

The only thing I ever tried to sell on e-bay were some really nice wine glasses I got when practice spouse and I got married many years ago. These beautiful Orrefors crystal wine glasses were what I really wanted back in the early 80's but now they're not the kind I like at all. Too small and dainty, they're "claret" glasses and not much bigger than a port glass (ok, a little bigger). But they were very pricey and what to do with them? I tried local sales, Craigs' List, classifieds, no luck. So DH put them on e-bay and we got $100 for them, then the guy said 2 were broken so DH gave him back $30. WTH? This was a full set of 12 (should've split them up) and they were $30 each back in 1983. Never used, in original packaging. Got $70. I was just sick about it. Haven't done e-bay since.

So... got out this afternoon and got a run in with no headlamp! That snow we got yesterday made for some slow going on the path below campus, lots of stumbling and slipping even with the spikes. Last couple miles were better, sidewalk was brushed clean and main road path was more traveled. 5.6 miles.

bioguy

Hi all,

Still ramping up for an official start for the Hanson's Marathon plan I ran 5x600 with a 1/4 recovery. Total of 5.3 miles.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

interesting ideas about e-bay.

Do you just send stuff out USPS Priority to purchasers.

Sounds awfully ripe for purchases to say they didn't get what they thought they were ordering, e.g. me getting a headset with the left earphone not working, the flip-phone ordered a couple of years ago for my T-Moble carrier but locked in for ATT.

hmmmmm.

Five miles - warm and sunny walking fiver.

First regular walking as if nothing happened since October's little out-patient procedure that they forgot to tell me takes six weeks to get back to normal.  One cyclist was down-and-out with a broken arm in a solo spin-out before the sun melted the frost-and-ice in the shady places. Glassy calm lake made the floating bridge crossing a walk-in-the-park compared to the strong waves from yesterday's steady north winds splashing off the pontoons like being on a ship-at-sea.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Hummels?  I've never heard of them...I Googled them, though...hmm...

I had a dermatologist appointment to have a sore on my forehead looked at.  I guess it's "Basel Cell Carcinoma"...fancy word for skin cancer.  But, as I'm sure you all know, it's the very common treatable kind.  So, now, I have to have a little procedure to have it completely removed...which I'll be paying for, for quite some time with the great insurance I have.  I'm sure sunscreen would have been a whole lot cheaper.

I went 6 miles today.  I put on a little burst for 4 miles in the middle, just to get the blood flowing.

After my run I went to the high school to watch my granddaughter's JV basketball game.  She's a 9th grader and pretty good.  6'-2' and has a sweet little hook shot and great move to the basket from underneath...I think she had 14 points.  Anyway--it is so cool to watch my granddaughter play on the very court my daughter used to play on, years ago.  She looks just like her but their styles of play are very different.  Larva (my daughter) played all out every second she was on the court.  She would fly through the air to save balls from going out of bounds--she was an animal.  But she had to play like that because she didn't have the natural talent of so many of the other girls.  Weiner (my granddaughter) is a very skilled player and plays nice and smooth most of the time but can be a bit of beast inside when she has to be.  Wow...what got me started all of that?

Okay--I'll leave you all alone.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

As if a 15yo girl and her phone are ever separated...

Tet - I actually purchased the priority mail label at E-Bay - 8.95 instead of 12.95, and it has tracking, so hopefully all is good.

Now to see if I can sell my mom's faux fur mink coat...

tru dat ^

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying