Masters Running

My date with the Woods Lady (Read 320 times)

Mariposai

My trip to see the family-in-law for Thanksgiving was great in all fronts. I had a lot of time to sit by the cold and sunny beach to write and ponder. I had a chance to go shopping and to eat more than I should have. I also was blessed with a special date with the lovely "Woods Lady" aka maEcono.

Now, I have met this glorious runner before at a local OR race, but this was the first time that we really had a chance for our "runner's heart" to meet each other. I showed up for my date around 10 minutes late (some calls are just too precious to ignore Smile). Anyway, I ran to her house from my MIL's house (isn't it amazing that MaEcono lives only 3.5 miles from my MIL's house and that I had run up to the bottom of her driveway so many times over the years). 

“ Run up my drive way”- said maEcono and running uuuuuuupppppppp her driveway I did. After a hug, a glass of water and a tour of her house to see her "runner's altar" Smile we took off for a run in the woods. Now, for an ordinary runner this would be a frontier type of running...off her house her trail takes you to the heart of the woods. Lovely trees, shrubs and wild animals would be your companion on this run any time of the day.

Being a frontier lady myself, I was in my element and I loved this wild run every step of the way.

After a 20 or so minutes of walking on her steep trail that served us as a warm up course we encountered a rustic forest service road and then we started running, of course we chatted all along the whole way. I think Woods Lady should write a RR telling us her running story because her story could move anyone to start running. Anyway, her woods route is very inspiring, one can see a lake and the ocean from her path…yeah…one lucky runner she is. It took all my will power to leave the many lovely spots we saw to keep on running, but the effort was blessed with more lovely views, great terrain and a wonderful company. We talked a lot about our "running history",  about you all and what you mean to us as “newbie runners”

We talked about our challenges as runners, about our dreams and our next steps. Most importantly we talked in length about what this RA running community means to our hearts.

We both hopped that many running friends will join us at the Newport, OR race in June…after all, MaEcono wants to meet many more of her RA running friends…

and...............

You would not want to disappoint her…

right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mariposai, thanks for posting about your meeting and run with Woods Lady.  It's so neat that you two lovely ladies could get together and have such a nice run in a beautiful setting. 

TomS

TammyinGP

Isn't she just one of the most lovely and gracious women around? I have been fortunate enough to run and dine a couple times with Woods Lady and always look forward to times when we can meet up at local races. And I'm really looking forward to Newport to spend more time with her again.  So glad that you two got to spend more quality time together and her running route sounds divine!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for the pictures, Butterfly Lady!  I'm so jealous that you two got to meet and run in the woods together.  Views of the ocean sound lovely.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai, the pleasure was all mine.   You make me blush.   We did have a great time sharing running stories, and I loved showing you my hill and woods.   Thank you for making time in your vacation to come and run with me.   I am so happy you think my hills are "real hills" worth the name, and that you think my running place is pretty. 

I'm sorry I didn't do a better job of taking your picture.  Now, can I make this one of me my official RA picture?  Can anyone tell me how to transfer it over to my home/log page?  I'm not good at this sort of thing. 

Yep, I'd love to see many of you at Newport, OR. on June 5th.

evanflein

What a wonderful day you had together! Thanks for writing and posting the pictures!

Mariposai, you sure have been getting around lately. I'm very envious of all the places you've seen and RA peeps you've gotten to meet... and run with!

Erika, Nancy says maybe you will come on down to Newport!   I'd love that.  I have spent some time in Alaska, and love the state.
                evanflein

Shhhh, at this point it's a little "off the radar," shall we say. But I'm trying to see what else I can tie it to, travel-wise.
                    Very nice!  Thanks for sharing what sounds like a wonderful day together.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

How fun,  and what great pictures.  I look forward to seeing everyone in Newport.

Dave

SteveP

Thanks for sharing your wonderful encounter.

SteveP

Big grin  Thank you for the report, Mariposai -- it was a delight to read.  And see you at Newport!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for takin' care of mariposai.

she does so much for everyone else, she deserves it from all of us too.

ps - uhmm, no particular reason but do you like oysters too?

pps - let me know when you find out how to do the avatar.

ppps - why do they call it an avatar?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi tet!  I use to love raw oysters,but then got very ill over them, and ended up in the hospital for New Years Eve in 1988.  I have had only one or two since.

avatar.  Maybe it has something to do with flying.  That is something like running, is it not?  

Marathon Maniac #957

Finally we get a glimpse of the lovely Woods Lady.  And what a beautiful area you have to run in.  Thanks for sharing this, Mariposai.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."