Masters Running

Fri 25th July Runs and Thoughts (Read 502 times)

King of PhotoShop

Bill, thanks for sharing such a touching personal story, and all that pain. That Perch dazzles me every day with his runs. Go back and look at that progression. That's as neat a run as I have seen. Addendum to last night's post. Early client conference call to discuss my situation. I was dying to know how they were going to handle the postponement. They will incur some fees from the conference planning company for changing dates, but they are happy to do so and reschedule and said they were 100% behind me. I was very moved. As much as all of us are in business, or work for businesses, or deal with businesses on a daily basis, sometimes we forget that businesses are all run and managed by people, and people can be doggone nice sometimes. I will run through walls for this client, I am so grateful. Tramps, who always has the most imaginative suggestions, hit the big time today. Bringing Tall with me to the surgery adds a certain veiled menace to the doctor's desire to perform well for me, but I would be just a bit concerned about shaky hands as a result. Maybe I will hold off on that idea. Spareribs
    wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, hugs to you and your family! I hope all goes well. Maybe you could go to Dr. Dale's hospital for your procedure! Bill, sad story. Makes me count my blessings. Handymom, happy belated birthday! I got a Garmin for my birthday this month, too, and its fun. We're leaving today to drive to Wyoming for our backpacking trip, so I got up early to take the dogs for a run, to tire them out before 7 hours in the car. We did 6 miles, so my total for July is exactly 100 miles - not sure if I'll get any more running in during the trip. My get up and go had got up and went, though. Unsproinky run, but I got er done. I won't be here to do the July Master Miles thread - any volunteers? Put me down for 100 miles. Smile

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maybe you could go to Dr. Dale's hospital for your procedure!)
        Carolyn! Don't get me into more trouble. 'Ribs is in very good hands. (despite the fact that my hospital is the busiest CT surgery center in NE...Smile) Get well soon, G! --------------------------------------------- 5 miles with first 5 minutes rec>easy with a few pickups, then ran fartlek -moderately hard @30sec/1min/2min/3min/3/2/1/30sec with equal recovery finishing with 4x20sec quick strides; 40sec recovery --------------------------------------------- sobering announcement, Byll...suicide touches more families than people like to admit...you are so right to say that we should all reach out if there are danger signs. thanks for sharing something so personal but so important {{breger1}}
          Late good morning, all! Roy - awesome heart rate and blood pressure values!! {{{{{{Bill}}}}}}}} - thanks for sharing. {{{{{Ribs}}}} - hang in there! Handymom - yes I almost always bring a washcloth or some kind of fabric so soak up the sweat. I've just recently started wearing a cap, and, so far, the cap seems to be absorbing most of the sweat on the majority of runs. I look dorky, but at least the sweat stays out of my eyes. Much lower humidity here this morning - thank goodness! 8.6 miles this morning - 5 solo hilly miles @10:00 pace followed by 3.6 Jesse jogging miles and a half mile walking cooldown. It made up for yesterday's horribly hot and miserable 6 miles on the treadmill. That was probably the worst treadmill run I've ever experienced, but I didn't have any choice with the llightning and torrential rains. Twocat - speedy feet for this weekend race!! Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I have a drawer full of cloth diapers (leftover from the kids) for just this purpose. I cannot stand sweat dripping down my face and into my eyes. I have even been known to carry this cloth when I run in the rain, because the rain dripping down my face when it is warm out makes me a little crazy and so I continuously wipe my face, and even though it is of course useless to do so in the rain, it makes me feel better. I consider it "expoliating." Big grin
            Ditto, as sweat in your eyes hurts! Also, I use chapstick on my forehead, just above my eyebrows all across my forehead to help keep the sweat out of my eyes.
            Masters 2000 miles
            evanflein

Bill, thanks for sharing and the message is important. I worry about my DS1 sometimes... he's so sensitive and prone to feelings of hopelessness, despair, not being popular, etc. He's so caring, sweet and emphathetic, it just tears me up when he feels like that. We did get him into counseling a year or so ago, and he did very well in learning how to react to people and deal with others. Depression runs in my family on my dad's side so I try to be very aware of the signs... Ribs, not what you wanted yesterday, but good to have a plan. Thanks for the detailed description... it makes more sense now. I like the witty doctor-speak... Holly, that Dexter sure has grown! I agree it looks like DD was onto something with the basket lesson. Best wishes to all the NW Ragnar Relay runners. I had to bow out of this one and I really wish I could be running it. Just too much going on here in the summer... Can't wait for Phoenix though... Denise, you do scare me woman. Falling asleep while driving is a very real concern and cause of many accidents! Glad you can find places to pull off... I think you put it very well when you said "not the most peaceful" time in your marriage but celebrated 26 years. I know exactly what you mean... we just did 19 and I wonder how we'll do... But things seem better, for now at least. This is a usual rest day for me, but it's going to be so nice today, and not so nice this weekend apparently, so I brought my running stuff to work. After last night's wine and dinner (had the winemaker from Rodney Strong in town, oh boy was that good!), I need a little run or something to get back on track. I've lost 4 pounds since June... don't want 'em back!!

I Can Go The Distance

Ribs:Sorry to hear things did not go as you had hoped yesterday. Don't worry about your clients, I am sure they will understand. Just focus on getting things with your heart taken care of and everything else will fall into place. BTW I don't know about Tim, but don't cash my check right away, I have not received my shoe contract payment from Adidas yet. They keep teliing me the check is in the mail. Smile Amy: I am looking forward to the Sox Yankee series this weekend. I read a few days ago that Manny was having one of his knees drained and would miss a few games. Hope he can play this weekend. Isn't "Big Pape" suppose to come off the DL this weekend? That would be great. Tim: I bought a Garmin 205 and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I have a question about your mid-week track workouts. Since you do part of the workout on the road to warm-up, do you use your Garmin on those days or just a running watch. I have heard that the Garmin does not work to well on the track. The watch I have now is a Timex Ironman. Dromedary: Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about sending you an email to see how you were doing. I am running "Jet to Jetty" at Dockweiler Beach on August 23rd. Have you ever run that race? It has been around for 25 yrs. but I have never run it before. I did 8.15 miles easy today in IRC. My time was 1:14:48 a 9:11 pace. Still a little too fast for an easy pace. Should have been 9:30. Tomorrow I do my 12 mile LR. I think I will wait until next Saturday to do a wave run. I will have my Garmin by then and it will be easier to time a wave run. Have a great day and a great weekend everyone. Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

breger1, I am sorry to hear about your first wife taking her life. I am sorry she was so tormented. Her poor daughters. Prayers for you all. hi Sarge and Tramps! Thank you Smile 4 miler yesterday without orthotics went great. No pain and felt free and strong. I was cautious and did a run-walk of 7 min/1 min. I'm just surprised at how my pace is a little quicker now. I'll continue to run-walk for a few more weeks to ease into this new way. Spareribs, you are courageous for analyzing and explaining your heart situation in such detail for all of us. Many hugs to you and your family, especially The Saint. hi Bruce/BCMorant! I am fine now. Great job in your longer runs. Good luck at Jet to Jetty!
                  dromelina - the runningbarefoot.org gang has a number of previously sidelined runnners who became so frustrated with orthotics and/or not running that, against their doctor's advice, they tried runningbarefoot as a last resort, . . . and have been running ever since. don't know how it would be for your feet but even a little barefooting will usually help strengthen foot/ankle/calf/knees, . . . and prevent heel landings that are the source of many running injuries even when done with thickly-cushioned running shoes supposed to prevent the same. http://runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/c8bf1c3eacc74cb3a800b370c5387c88
                  hello Tetsujin, since May I spend a lot of time barefoot. I wear a pair of Keen sandals at work, and I am barefoot at home all year long. I have very strong calves/legs (my mom says I have daikon-ashi! Tongue) All this barefootedness plus the good hard work my personal trainer has given me to do probably caused me not to need the orthotics anymore. Thank you for the link. I will be very careful not to perform heel striking!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bruce, I do use my Garmin on my mid-week long run with 1000 meter repeats, so I know my total miles and ave pace. I run to my track about 4 miles away - then I use the lap feature and time to try and run my planned 1000 meter repeats at desired pace. After I cross the finish line I hit the re-set button then stop button. Then after my 200 meter recovery I hit start again to start a new lap. I had problems at first running them way to fast than what Ribs wanted, but he helped me to know what time I should be, at given points....like 54 seconds at 200 meters. And no, the pace with the Garmin on a track workout is not very accurate, but I figure my overall pace for my workout is close enough. On the wave runs I basically do the same thing with hitting the re-set button, to start a new lap for each mile, or you can set it up to do that automatically with the auto lap feature. If you have any questions once you get your new watch, don't hesitate to ask. Have fun with your new gadget Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

"After I cross the finish line I hit the re-set button then stop button. Then after my 200 meter recovery I hit start again to start a new lap.
                      Tim, there's a much easier way than what you've been doing. At the end of each Repeat just press the Lap button. Then at the end of your Recovery period press the Lap button again. Rinse and repeat. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps - thank's for the link...good Christmas gift idea. Holly - thanks for the idea of cloth diapers. I used to have some of these when my kids were still babies, but maybe I sold them on a garage sale. I'll definately have to look. I keep forgetting to pick something up on the way out. SueT48 - I've thought of a cap. May have to revisit that one. I have kindof a big head and hats never stay on right, but maybe a running cap may have a better design. Not to mention that it would help with the sun. I wear glasses and do have prescription sunglasses, but they are quite loose and a real pain in the drippy sweat. Aamos, chapstick? Hmmm, never would have thought of that. May have to give it a try. BTW, I grew up in SD (east river) and went to college in RC (SDSM&T), beautiful country. I miss the hills sooo much...

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, there's a much easier way than what you've been doing. At the end of each Repeat just press the Lap button. Then at the end of your Recovery period press the Lap button again. Rinse and repeat. Bill
                          Ummm, but the watch will keep going, and I don't like to keep track of my 200 M recovery jog....if I am understanding you correctly. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Yeah, but why worry about NOT seeing the Recovery lap portions? You'll be able to tell by the distance/pace whether the lap you're looking at is a Repeat or a Recovery. If it's fast, it was a Repeat. If it was slow, it was a Recovery period. Cool Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yeah, but why worry about NOT seeing the Recovery lap portions? You'll be able to tell by the distance/pace whether the lap you're looking at is a Repeat or a Recovery. If it's fast, it was a Repeat. If it was slow, it was a Recovery period. Cool Bill
                              True, but I guess I think it would drop my overall pace way down......I know, I am vain about having a quicker overall pace when finished, without including slow jog recoveries Roll eyes Tim

[Using Spareribs voice here] "The important part of a Interval/Repeat workout is NOT the overall pace, but the paces you're working at when running hard." [/Using Spareribs voice here] Bill