Masters Running

Fri 25th July Runs and Thoughts (Read 502 times)

Tramps

Bringing Tall with me to the surgery adds a certain veiled menace to the doctor's desire to perform well for me, but I would be just a bit concerned about shaky hands as a result. [...] I will run through walls for this client, I am so grateful.
    I hadn't thought about that. Good point. (Most of Tall's running opponents have the same trembling problem.) However, I'm not sure that "running through walls" will be your best rehab strategy.
    I have a drawer full of cloth diapers (leftover from the kids) for just this purpose.
    I had this vision of you running with a diaper on your head. Big grin
    I use chapstick on my forehead, just above my eyebrows all across my forehead to help keep the sweat out of my eyes.
    For some reason, this made me laugh, too! I learn something every day here. Where do you people carry all these diapers and face cloths? In the summer H&H I'm just dripping with sweat. If I tried tucking it into my waistband or something, it would just be soaked. Maybe it's just me. Bruce and Tim--at the track, do you use the "every second" data, instead of "smart data" (I'm not getting the terms right, but you know what I mean). It makes a big difference with the accuracy at the track. Also, Tim, if you have the lap time as one of your data screens, it re-starts each time you hit lap (same thing if you're going by distance).

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

[Using Spareribs voice here] "The important part of a Interval/Repeat workout is NOT the overall pace, but the paces you're working at when running hard." [/Using Spareribs voice here] Bill
      Tim stubbornly says " I know, and I need to change my mentality about this Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thought I might chime in on the ole sweat-in-the-face issue. I wear a hat designed for running. It's light weight, has little holes all through the head portion to help your head breath and stay cool, and it does a great job of soaking up the sweat. Mine's usually drenched by the time I'm done running. Other than that, I always carry a bandana with me, tucked into the waistband of my shorts. The end that's flopping around in the air stays fairly undrenched. Of course, I don't live in the heat and humidity that a lot of you folks do. You are a busy bunch here! How do you all keep up?? Smile

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Summer: Sweat Winter: Snot These are great http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14667148&RN=995&KSKU=111413& Yes, I tuck them in my waist band. While they get wet from the waist, I still seem to be able to soak from my head as well. If it gets too wet, I can ring it out. (We don't have any old diapers Smile )

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps, who always has the most imaginative suggestions, hit the big time today. Bringing Tall with me to the surgery adds a certain veiled menace to the doctor's desire to perform well for me, but I would be just a bit concerned about shaky hands as a result. Maybe I will hold off on that idea.
            Not to mention that he would be hitting on all the nurses. Roll eyes Out with a friend for 22 miles of easy cycling on a beautiful summer morning here in Paradise. Good running to all of you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #3309

Also, Tim, if you have the lap time as one of your data screens, it re-starts each time you hit lap (same thing if you're going by distance). Tramps, I do have my watch set up like you are describing....and I hope Bruce figures out how to set up the different screens also...very useful info while running, and afterwords. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I Can Go The Distance

True, but I guess I think it would drop my overall pace way down......I know, I am vain about having a quicker overall pace when finished, without including slow jog recoveries Roll eyes
                I have always counted my recovery times. When I put them into my log here on RA I list them under tempo runs and title them Tuesday intervals. That way I can see what were recoveries and what were repeats. I have never figured out whether it is correct to count recoveries in the overall time or not. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Tramps, you laughin' at me, eh? Tongue Big grin [Admittedly, until I figured out to use chapstick instead of my Mom's old Primose Red lipstick, laughing did occur Surprised.] I'm just back from a noon run and I carried some paper towels to "dab" my brow--also stopped at a drinking fountain and dampened half of 'em for the run back. Worked well. 8.5 miles at an 8:30 pace. Back to work so I can scoot at 5--there's a ball game this evening I need to catch! grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

True, but I guess I think it would drop my overall pace way down......I know, I am vain about having a quicker overall pace when finished, without including slow jog recoveries
                    I have always counted my recovery times. When I put them into my log here on RA I list them under tempo runs and title them Tuesday intervals. That way I can see what were recoveries and what were repeats. I have never figured out whether it is correct to count recoveries in the overall time or not. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.
                    Me too... I include recovery times. But... you can always delete those 200m laps after you're done rather than messing with all those button pushes and new "runs" to download. That's what I've done before.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon all. At home today on my every other Friday off. DW wouldn't want me to get complacent, so the main item from the "honey-do" list was to wash the mildew and moss off the front of the house in preparation for paint (likely on the the next Friday off) Roll eyes before the work started, a late in the morning (7am) weekday run. 3.2 in 29+. 72 when I got back, so I got a good sweat going. I've been wearing a series of hats to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Works pretty well, but the hats sure get gross and sticky quickly. I have a hat washer that hold the hat in shape and you put it in the top shelf of the dishwasher. works great, but I can only do one at a time Smile one of the things that I've discovered about tech shirts is that they suck for wiping any sort of liquid off the head region. In the winter, I've got gloves or a cotton over-shirt to use but in the summer, I do sometimes carry a small towel. those ones from BB&B look like something good to pick up for that purpose. No mention of Manny's knee being drained in the Globe today. have to check and hope it's not true Sad Nothing like a Friday night Sox/Yanks tilt for excitement!! Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

[Admittedly, until I figured out to use chapstick instead of my Mom's old Primose Red lipstick, laughing did occur Surprised.]
                        Amy you crack me up. Leslie... it's a challenge sometimes, and a huge cause of unproductivity at work for me at least... Big grin Off for my nooner, 70F and sunny out there, I may not come back!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Leslie... it's a challenge sometimes, and a huge cause of unproductivity at work for me at least... Big grin
                          Me too....don't tell my boss Smile

King of PhotoShop

I am glad Tim posted these things just so the rest of you can see what I am up against in trying to help him. The man is a menace! But let me elaborate on Bill's post about intervals when he used my voice (without permission). And I'm posting this for all people who really like precision in workouts and in keeping good track of your data. Yes the intensity of the workbout (by that I mean the speed part) is an important part of the workout, but it is called "interval" for a reason. That reason is that the rest, or recovery portion is equally important. Let me put a very fine point on this and recall a recent discussion on this subject that no one attacked me about but actually should have. The metric for a useful track workout of 6 x 1000 meters is one minute or recovery for every K run. That is why Perch used 1:40 as his jog recovery earlier this week when he did miles. Remember when I asked him about that? But the problem we all face on the track in doing oneK's or 800's, or any other distance, is how you jog easily for one minute and then end up at the desired starting place for the next workbout. So for that reason, many people will just pick some DISTANCE to recover in, rather than the more important TIME to recover. For that reason, when I advise others, I just say, "Oh, just run 200 meters to recover," which gives the runner a short enough recovery time, probably more than a minute. In fact when I do this workout, I have noticed my 200 meter jog recovery takes more like 1:20. I go really slow. (This is where I thought someone would have picked up on this and gotten me on it, the point being that if I can't fully recover in a 200 meter jog, that I have set the times too fast during the oneK's.) But you should pay attention to this time, because it's a terrific metric for measuring improvement. You might say, "Last week I did 6 x 1000 @ 4:15 per K, with a one minute recovery jog. Now I am doing the same workout with a 45 second recovery." That would be a great improvement, and help your conditioning better than decreasing the time of the workbout. In other words, leave the speed alone and shorten the rest period. This data, as Bill correctly points out, should be reviewed, and I think it should go in your log. And Tim, you should be thinking of that this fall as temps drop and the workout becomes more comfortable. You will see your average pace for the workout come down, simply because you did not need to recover that much. During the summer months I wouldn't put too fine a point on the times because of the conditions, but I sure would write them down, because NEXT summer you will have a great benchmark for how you run in the summer vs. how you run in the cooler fall and winter months. Spareribs
                              Headband and Sweatband for me. (See avatar.) It doesn't stop me from sweating. It just keeps the sweat from being a constant aggravation. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Headband for me too. Also helps keep the hair out of my eyes.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!