Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 06/20/09) (Read 868 times)

Hey Everyone - Thank you for your kind comments regarding my niece, her wedding, and my post late last night.  They're a great couple, and I look forward to getting to know Josh better.

Ev - Nice race yesterday!  Somebody earlier said it was starting at a strange time, and 8:00 p.m. is strange, indeed.  Did you run this last year, too?  Something about it is ringing a bell.

Jim - Um, yeah, looks like you need to find yerself a nice HM.  Very nice run for you!  Glad the gi issues have calmed down.

Carol - Your running is coming along great again, too.  Good luck with the H&H to all of you.

Well, my trail run yesterday.  Where do I begin?  When Dad and I got to town, we went and found the trail head so I'd know where I was going the next day.  The whole area is very beautiful.  It's in the Marble Mountains in Skiskiyou  County.  Without knowing the trail, I had figured on about 5-5 1/2 hours for the 20 miles.  I had planned on 5 in/out twice.  However, once I got going, I realized this was going to be quite the trial.  This trail was so rocky, it was ridiculous.  It's a great trail for hiking and horseback riding, but running?  No.  I finally gave up after 4.5 miles and no less than 8 water crossings, not counting the 5-6 feeders.

So with the water crossings and 20 miles of running, I wanted to keep my feet dry, if possible.  It was on the 2nd or 3rd crossing going in, that my right foot ended up nice and damp.  On the way back, I was a mere .5 miles from the end, I am at the second to last crossing, I'm on a rock in the middle of the creek.  It's not deep, about ankle deep.  I decide to go a different way than I initially wanted.  Took a large step to the left, my foot slipped on the rock, and DOWN GOES LESLIE!  Slammed into the rocks on my left side, and for awhile, I thought I sprained my left wrist.  Yeah, I was a happy camper.  It took me 2.75 hours for the 9-mile round trip.  I'd say of that mileage, only about 3-3.5 miles total was runnable.  When I run the Arcata Forest, I can do 10 miles in about 2:15, 2:20.

So I'm a bit irritated, to say the least, since I need to get 20 miles in and I'm a time limit.  I head back down to Etna, having decided to finish up the last 11 miles on the highway.  Not challenging like trails, but at least I'd be getting the miles on my legs.  Two problems, I'm PO'd, and it's 45 min drive back to the motel, where I have to change my soaking wet shoes and retape my feet.  All in all - about an hour between runs.  Plus the sun has decided to come out.  Plus it's the freaking road.  Plus, plus, plus . . .  I finally turned around at 4.5 miles.  From about Mile 6.5 on, it was sheer hell.  I was thisclose to trying to flagged someone down to give me a ride back to town.  It . . . sucked . . . sucked . . . sucked.

Once I staggered back to town, I hit the restaurant by the motel, and first thing asked for the largest glass of chocolate milk that they had.  Ugh!  I'm not sure I could possibly ever have a worse run.  . . . . . . . nope, just not possible.

This is a sample of how rocky the trail was:

But this is the beauty I got to see:

A rare section of runnable trail:

Saw one bear on the drive up, and crossed paths with a mule train while running out.  Other than that, only a few squirrel sightings.  This would be a great trail to run/hike when there aren't any time constraints, and I'd like to go back.

MTA: WOW!  Maybe I could make the pictures bigger, what do ya think??

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Leslie- those pics look great! Don't get so down on yourself, it won't make that much difference to your training. You got to see some beautiful trails and persevered the best you could with bad footing. Heck, I would treat it like a bonk. Can't do anything about it right? Learn from it. Great pic of the wedding and keeping your Mom's Memory in their hearts!

Great Race Ev !! Wow, that's a very nice pace! Since I run in the evenings most days, 8pm would work for me. Was that your first 10K? Is that a PR? Nice job beating your goal pace, WTG!

Nice run Carol . One of these days I'll have to become a morning person to escape the H+H. There will soon be no choice.Or, we could meet at that super nice lake/canyon where Cindy was last week! Nice pic of her sitting on the rocks. And Cindy ,how about Doug's Dingy? Get any time on the yacht?

Nice to see ya Jewels, your running will come.You too Arla, especially with the things you're coping with now.

Very impressive LR Jim. Whatever it takes to loosen up is good by me.I sometimes do a set or two of pushups along the way ,to give my lower parts a chance to realign themselves. You're getting consistency,and that will pay off.

Quite a bit cooler than last weekend and my running went better. Cut the grass yesterday and still did a good job pacing an 18 miler @9:51 per  ,proven by the fact that my last mile was fastest.

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone!  I'm back again-can you believe it?  Quick check in because I need to get to bed.

Awesome pics Leslie-that trail looks really cool.  If I was you.....I would have downgraded the run to a speed hike.  You would have gotten a high intensity cardio workout on the way up and use the way down to pound the heck out of your quads and practice some fancy footwork to get down as quick as possible without falling.  I understand you wanting to keep your feet dry but you never know what race day is going to bring-let loose a little bit and have fun getting wet and dirty!  I know you had the time constraint as well so I would have hiked with the time I had.  Congrats to your niece-pretty bride and handsome groom.

Good job at  the 10K Ev!  I like the idea of an evening race.

Nice LR Jim and no worries about getting older...you're getting better!  Jack ran the Nipmuck Trail marathon in CT last weekend and blew the 50's age course record away from 3:40 to 3:25 finishing 2nd overall.  Yeah, he got beat by a 30 something.

Good to hear from Jewels and Carol too.

I got home a little while ago from two days of mega miles.  I started Saturday running a 10k myself.  It was half pavement/half dirt and mostly flat.  I did it just because I haven't raced that distance in a while and wanted a poit of refernce as to how fast I could go.  I finished in 50:28 which is not a PR (close) but faster than what I thought I would go.  Ran a couple miles before to warm up put me at 8 miles so far.  Jack and I drove to Woodstock, VT-the home of the VT100 and caught up with a friend who is in charge of the course.  With him and a few others covered the last 30 miles of the course (running 20 and driving 10 which was on roads anyway).  Saturday's total 28 miles. 

I slept in the back of a friend's Subaru and went back and covered miles 48-70 with the same group except for Jack who had to go home to work today.  So 22 miles for today which gave me an all time high of 91 miles in a week (except for my 100 mile race week).  My feet are a little sore and I'm sure my quads will be talking to me a bit tomorrow but I have a great appreciation for what Jack does in a relatively short time (his best VT100 time is 16:35ish).

Have a good week everyone!  Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Fatozzig, what an adventure.  Beautiful pics.  Wow, you're right about the rocky trail.   It sucked, but you endured.  Nicely done.  About the Downtown Dash....this was the first year for this race...thus the women's and men's course records I posted yesterday.  I think Jim got the joke!

Joe and Carol.... it's been about 13 years or so since I ran a 10K race, but even at that I do believe my time yesterday is a PR for me at that distance.  I liked the evening start time.  It was cooler (but not by much) and I, too, usually run in the evenings (at least during the week).  Joe nice long run.

Jim....nice going on the 13+

I got in an easy recovery 3miler this evening.  Temps not too bad in the mid 80s....very high humidity relatively speaking.   (no pun intended)

good runs/walks and stuff to all!

Ultra...simultaneous post.....your runs are just incredible! 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Kelly - I will keep the advice in mind re the power hike and coming out.  I did try to come out as fast as possible, but it was still a lot of walking.  Either that or face plant.  Now I know why it's considered a great stock trail.   I understood that trying to avoid the water was a mistake, but I also failed to tape my feet correctly and knew that getting them wet could result in problems.  That was just stupidity on my part.

Your running always amazes me.  You were definitely born to trail run.

Ev - Somebody else must of mentioned running a race at night, but I can't remember who it was.  Regardless, you had a great run, and it sounds like you had a lot of fun.  I have yet to do a nighttime run.  Would probably have to do it when The Hub's gone and Karen and Coach Bill and I go together; otherwise, he'd pitch a huge fit.

Okay - I'm off to the shower and to bed.  I'm a tad tired after the weekend's festivities.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dang, Kelly, you're amazing!  I just don't know what else to say about a 91 mile week. 

Beautiful pic's Leslie.  I don't think I'd stay very focused on running in such spectacular surroundings.  That is "stop and take it in" country right there.  Part way through reading your post, I was afraid it was going to end in a fall that jeopardized your upcoming race.  Glad I was wrong about that!

Joe, very nice pacing indeed.  Maybe there should be a new kind of triathlon....mow 5 acres with a push mower, run a marathon, with pushup stations at various points in the run.  I think you'd win it!

Ev, I had a feeling that was a PR for you.  Great job! 

Howdy to everyone else! 

Got all geared up and headed out the door for a run, but called it after only a few steps.  Had the feeling that I should not stray far from the bathroom, and my new gizmo that monitors my blood sugar 24 X 7 was just at the place where my amphipod belt irritated it with every step.  Had also waked up with a pretty high blood sugar number that generally makes runs feel like crap, though had all other indicators been OK, I would have run through it.  Hope to get things better aligned and try again this evening.  You evening runners are inspiring me to give it a try.   

Progress Trumps Pefection

Joe, very nice pacing indeed.  Maybe there should be a new kind of triathlon....mow 5 acres with a push mower, run a marathon, with pushup stations at various points in the run.  I think you'd win it!

Great idea!

Carol - Hope things work out for you better this evening.  If you don't my asking - your new blood sugar gizmo, is that implanted?  I remember a friend's daughter having her insulin pump implanted on her side somewhere.

A rest day for me, which was just a well.  I'm still worn out.  Had the great idea of getting up and doing some upper body strength training since I didn't get my 5 miles in yesterday, but poo -poo'd that idea when the alarm went off.

Now it's back to Reality Land, aka Work.  Hopefully, today I get the lowdown (yet again) on my job and where things stand with people retiring/not retiring.  That merry-go-round is getting reeeeeally old.

Have a great week, my friends ~

MTA: Ev - Follow this link: http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/ for info about some running events in your area.  Look at the second post - "The Hard Way and Double Dirty Dozen."

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey Everybody!!  Still working on getting caught up on all the reading, etc....Sounds like some good running & Life stuff going on in here!   

Dang, Kelly, you're amazing!  I just don't know what else to say about a 91 mile week. 

Hope to get things better aligned and try again this evening.  You evening runners are inspiring me to give it a try.   

Ditto! & Ditto!!  Hoping everything balanced out for you, Carol!   I've done a few evening runs...sometimes they're just magical....  sometimes though, they keep me awake too long

Very pretty scenery there Leslie!  don't know that I'd have been too terribly concerned w/time (other than getting on w/other activities) which would've meant, go as far as I can, then back out - with camera in hand!!  Just waaaay too distracting!

Congrats to your very pretty niece!

Push up breaks during long runs??   Hrumpf! mebbe not!!   & yes Joe, we had the dinghy out -  LOTS!  34' lb trolling motor & deep cycle battery...  was enough to retrieve an escaped boat, pull 3 kids on a giant tube thingy (though not at all fast! ) troll around in the narrower canyons.....

How do you post pictures now??

I am truly  having difficulties w/cut & paste, linking photobucket, etc....here's trying to share slideshow of Lake Powell:   http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/?action=view&current=87477de9.pbw&t=1245121918

Doug did an "update" about the same time Eric made some changes here.....now, several things don't work the way they did before....some, not at all   & I'm not having the time to re-learn some of this stuff just now....

Picked up the oldest granddaughter to stay w/us for a coupla weeks...possibly right up to our next camping trip in 3 wks (anybody seeing a pattern here?) She's old enough now to ride her bike along side while we run so, this am, loaded up the car for a "family" outing - aka/10 miler on Highline Canal;  me, Doug, GD, Mairead....I was a little concerned that we weren't getting it together too terribly early...(WHAT a production!!) temp was climbing pretty quickly so, I set up 'Raid in her coolie vest (which she seems to mostly have outgrown!?) & toted extra water, G2's & such....on the way, I noted that we were brewing up our daily ration of big ominous dark clouds to the West already.....hmmmm...pretty early to be starting that carp! Started out in sunshine but, clouds moved in, temp dropped, breeze picked up...niiiice! ...for awhile!   random light (refreshing) raindrops started about 30-40 mins in...got progressively more persistent, but still real light...then, just past mile 7  LOUD thunder & lightning!!   Mairead is NOT amused!  10 more minutes to steady, colder rain....stopped long enough to put all of my electronics into my waistpack....we all got back much resembling drowned rats!   Stopped by a sub shop for sandwiches to go with our G2's....& soon learned that a pretty good sized tornando came outta that mess, just about 10 miles from our house & flattened an old barn (4H calf was rescued, goat still missing) !!  other than that - it was a perfectly lovely day!!  

Oh Hey, anybody want to join us in Las Vegas on Dec 6th for a little 26.2 group run?  http://las-vegas.competitor.com/   We're already signed up....  Good Lord! here we go again!

Gotta Run!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Hey Cindy - Nice weather you had going there.  Not!  A tornado a mere 10 miles away?  Do you guys get many of those up there?

Re posting a pic:

1. Go to photobucket and click the "Direct Link" http and copy the link.

2. Come back here and click the mountain box above.

3. Paste your link, ensuring you don't have a double http:// and voila!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice pics, mtnck
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Nice pics, mtnck

The other thing is that the "reply" button is missing from this thread for me?   my only way into this "private" thread is by using the "quote" button

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/134.jpg

that's what I did...this is what I've got.... I get an "explorer user prompt" requesting the http....

guess I just have an extra step to posting pics...

& ref the weather ~ apparently!  We've got a 9 day "streak" going on so far of hostile weather!!  Every morning the weather folks say that this one will be milder....NOT!  & we're really good abt sharing w/folks East of us....we just brew 'em, & ship 'em!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Easy 2 recovery today. We took my wheat head to a JD dealer 80 mi away last nite to get checked out before harvest so missed the run yest. Achilles pretty sore but coming around with stretch and trigger point roller other than that no problems.

Nice pics Cindy, looks like a good time.........On your front range storm brewing, kindly try and keep them less than severe ok when u ship em east. We missed the bad stuff last nite, some hail and tornadic activity in the area, got a heck of a wheat crop coming if we can get it before the Great White Combine does.

Carol hope your evening run went better.

Leslie those trails look alot like RMNP.

Gotta get going hi to evry one else!!! Catch up with the rest of uuuuse later.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie those trails look alot like RMNP.

RMNP??   I'm terribel with this stuff.

Jim - Keeping fingers crossed the Big White Combine stays away.

Cindy - Beautiful pictures.  We live in a sucha diverse, but spectacular country!

5 miles w/10 steep hills repeats this a.m. in about 52:04.  Felt really good the entire time, and with the exception of the hill repeats, kept the HR in the mid 150s.  Very nice.

Well, it's official.  This job is ending.  My boss, who actually keeps me apprised of what's going, on talked to me for awhile yesterday.  Looks like Sept 1 is the date.  However, he would really like it if I could continue to work for him 2 days a week, which  means I have to see if the other office that has offered me a job is willing to do part time at 3 days a week.  From my talks with my friend, Denise, over there, it sounds like that would probably work.  My other thing is I want vacation time.  Medical would be nice, but it's not going to happen for a part-time job, and right now I'm paying for it myself anyway.  I want my vacation time.  So, we'll have to see how the negotiations go.

This was inevitable, but it still makes me sad.  This has been the Dream Job.  Oh well, it's been a good 11.5 year run.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

RMNP??   I'm terrible with this stuff.

Rocky Mountain National Park

I still have no "reply" button on this thread....appears on any others that I've clicked on....?

Sorry about the job Leslie....you'll get it sorted out.

Mairead wasn't real thrilled to go out this am....took me a bit to figure it out.(thwacking noggin) seems that she's grown a bit since last Summer...I was sure that close to 2 yrs should be mostly it....I did notice a snugger fit to her coolie vest....apparently too snug! poor baby has rub welts from yesterday's run! she has odd hair - chafing is definitely an issue for her...I put some topical on it....guess I'm back to the drawing board on the coolie vest thing, as this was the biggest one I could find. Apparently XXL does NOT apply to 100#+ dogs! On that note, a friend gave me a doggie hoodie for Mairead for Christmas, pkg said size-L....fits my smallest Pomeranian!   

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - wow, that was some gnarly run! I'm really glad you didn't seriously hurt yourself on that fall - scary. Maybe you need to carry something for communication?   Sorry about the job - maybe it's really an opportunity.

Hey Kelly - good to hear from ya! Back to the big miles, nice!

Ev - congrats on the good race. Consistency pays.

Carol - sounds like you're still trying to get that gizmo dialed in - it'll be worth it in the end.

Cindy - maybe you could get one of the cooling vests that are made for people and modify it for Mairead. Some motorcycle shops sell them...and I KNOW they come in BIG sizes!

Shout out to Jewels - hang in there! It's ok to have some light weeks, anyway.

Thanks for the kind words about my mom. She's doing pretty well, hopefully we can pull this relocation off without it being too much of a nightmare. Moving is never fun though.

Keep running, everyone!

Arla

Ex runner