Masters Running

Wednesday 10/3/2018 (Read 45 times)

SteveP

Coastwalker doing a little rolling over snoozing cross training. I like you PT.

Jlynne turns up her fitness level another notch.

Buehrle offers words of wisdom before painting an picture of her extended plan.

Quickadder adding 7.3  more miles of family time fun.

TomWhite is serenading us, ARCing, then leaving us high and dry for two weeks.

Henrun gets wet and wild signing up for a 5K on a beloved course. How could the man not leave an impression?

Cripes TwoCat...My aging heart cannot handle provocative photography. Why only a single serving?

AnneB going double nuts on her 3.75 neighborhood run.

Stumpy beaming into his 5K around the lake.

TammyinGP is living the dream. Long run, getting cleaned, decluttered and planning on a race. She sounds like a happy camper.

Pfriese puts in 11 on the home front.

Holly is easing back into a run sporting a new brand of shoe.

Fatozzig is enjoying the abuses put onto her from physical therapy. The stupid  driver law must have a lot of words in it.

Evanflein enjoyed the deck, dirt and 5.5.

Mrrun is digging life.

Tramps had to spend the morning waiting for the telephone man. Well done on the 81o 22 miler.

RunnerKSA is looking to expand her horizons on the ellipticals. You deserve a lot of credit.

Bioguy blowing off some fist fight- it's only Tuesday- stress with a nice five miles.

Surly Bill 4.5 at 9:00.

Falconfixer launches into lunch with 5.7 at 8:40. Tone it down a bit people....I type slowly while moving my lips.

Joe618 knocks 5.2  outta the park.

I'm getting audited again starting the 19th an through the weekend. My attitude is usually, "bring it on". For the last six months, it's been the inmates running the asylum. The manager of three months is just starting to reel in the rebel forces. The last one in March had me scrabbling and I was off less than $10.00  on over 1/4 million in inventory. Our inventory person said the now retired auditor kept going on how he's never seen anyone that thorough. I've heard that a lot.  My Dr.s saying a variation of, "I've done this for 27 years and I've never had a patient do that in my office". A garage door delivery guy has said , in over 20 years, he's never seen anyone play revelry on garage door parts. (We have to make sure all the parts work). A cabinet driver near retirement has said he's never had anyone unload him while dressed like Batman....shrug.....These people need to get out into the normal world more often.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Steve, I have a feeling that your 'normal' world is just a bit different than most other people's.

Our Seacoast Half Marathon (Nov. 11, Portsmouth, NH) is 99% sold out as of this morning. 12 more entries and I'll shut down registration for this year's race. I've been updating how close we are to being full on the race website and FB since last week, when we were at about 85%. I'll still hear from people pleading to get in after we close. Haven't taken a bribe yet...

6 wet RW miles in 50° temps at 4 this morning. I started in a mist that became a mizzle that became a steady light rain that stopped when I was about a quarter mile from finishing. So it goes.

Gotta get going to my dermatologist for our annual look-see.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Early 5 mile run this morning, in case roofers showed up…and they did!

That’s good news….I think. Lots of miscommunication (“What part of the house are we doing? " ) doesn’t instill a lot of confidence on my part but all I can do is hope for the best…and try to keep an eye on things. Not sure I’ll get much work done today, especially with what sounds like a battle going on just above my head. Sigh.

Bill—I like your approach. (BTW, in a previous life I interviewed Frank Zappa.  On the phone…but still.)

The best news of the day, of course, is that HOCKEY IS BACK! 

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, Steve.  Sitting in a half day legal seminar which meant fighting traffic to get downtown.  Free breakfast at least!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

I threw in the towel on the Cubs at the end of the 11th. It was 11:20 already and nothing good was happening... and so it goes. Til April I guess...

On tired everything, got myself up for an easy hour run today (5.5 miles). Ran over to Lincolnwood (neighboring village) and now remember it has no street lights on its side streets! Even with a headlamp, it was DARK. Luckily, no oak trees Smile

Happy hump day, masters!

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, my new shoes have a hot spot.  The stitching at the top of the shoelaces rubs on the top of my right big toe knuckle, and rubbed a blister on today's run.  Crapola.  I guess I need to go to the running store and start trying on shoes.....

8 miles total today in a foggy 63 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

These people need to get out into the normal world more often.

Ha! The "new" normal? Not sure what that is any more.

Good luck with the inventory Steve, and good luck with the roofers Tramps. You're right - you expect workers to show up to the job knowing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. Kind of scary, like a doctor saying right before surgery "it's the left leg that's broken, right?"

Sorry about the Cubs everyone, though the folks around here are excited about playing the Rockies since the Cubs beat the Brewers all of the time.

Hope that nice weather continues Erika!

Enjoy that breakfast KSA.

Wow - it's great your race filled up Jay. Watch those bribes though!

It was downright balmy here this morning. A humid 59° at 5:00 AM. I went to the Y and did 55 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rower and then ran/walked 5.5 miles with the Y girls. The PT session yesterday was not real strenuous. There's 3 of us in her class and we're not all at the same fitness level. I hope she picks up the intensity a little.

Off to feed the kids. It's "brunch for lunch" day - omelets, pancakes and hash browns. I'll be slipping on maple syrup after the kindergarten kids finish eating!

Love your round-ups, Steve.  I'm tellin' ya, you need to write a book!

Holly - Sometimes there's no substitute for going to the store and trying on shoes.

A few months ago, I binge-watched "This Is Life" and fell in love with the show.  I watched the first episode of this season last night.  How the heck am I supposed to wait week to week to find out what happens next????

20 min predawn walk in ultra foggy conditions, followed up by about 30 min of core/ST doing my new PT exercises.  I have a chiro appt this morning and he'll do ultra sound on the hammy area, which I think will help with the soreness I'm feeling, but otherwise things are feeling decent.  My initial intent was to walk for 30 min, but decided to do the 'smart thing' and dial it back to 20 and see how things feel.

Almost a catastrophe in the Fatozzig household this a.m.  The coffee grinder bit the dust!   There was enough coffee left over from yesterday for The Hub, but I had to wait 'til I could stop at Eureka Natural Foods on the way to work.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it, but I survived . . . barely.  First thing after work - buy a coffee grinder.

The chorus of this song has been playing in my head all morning now, but substitute in the words "Grinder!  Looking for coffee beans!"  The Hub got a good chuckle out of it.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Hello Runners,

I'm combining last night's swim workout with today's stretching and strength workout to make one entry.

On Monday night (I guess that's three for one) I swam 1200 yards for the first time after doing a week of 900 yarders.  What had originally taken 30:00 to complete was down to 24:00 since I was eliminating rests in the middle of sets, but not swimming noticeably faster; or at least I didn't feel that I was working harder.  The additional 300 yards filled in the time to get me back to 30:00 or so (31:00 to be exact).

So Tuesday night was 1200 yards again, and again it was in 31:00, but the difference was that I swam 50 yards of crawl, 50 yards of breast stroke, and 50 yards of backstroke to complete 150 yards, and repeated that 8 times with 1:00 breaks in the middle to get my HR down to 120 or so.  I had been doing 25/25/25 / 25/25/25.   Eventually I will work this to 100 / 100 / 100 for 300 yard intervals with breaks between each 300, or if my HR doesn't climb too high after a while, I'll eliminate the rests as well.

After I get that up to 6 sets = 1800 yards (~ 1 mile) I'm going to throw in a 25 yard length of butterfly at the beginning of each set.  I haven't done the butterfly for more than 25 yards in about 42 years.

This morning was 5:00 of stretching (basically a very easy low back and hamstring stretch routine that my chiropractor gave me over a year ago and I've been following religiously) followed by a "pull" workout consisting of pulldowns, rows, curls, internal and external shoulder rotation, and hip abduction and adduction.  I only do one set of each exercise and I use a resistance that causes me to fail around 6 or 7 reps on most exercises, but work at it until I can get up to 9 or 10 - then increase the weight so I fail at 6 or 7 again.  I don't know if anyone recommends this type of training for people my age (54) but I think that it's a style of training that more people could benefit from as long as they attend to proper form.  I move slowly, try to get full range of motion, and try to be the quietest person in the gym.   The exceptions to the rep range protocol are hip abduction and adduction where the weight stack is light so I do high reps, and internal and external shoulder rotation.  Due to a torn rotator cuff a few years back, I make sure I can get at least 12 reps on those exercises.  It's hard to keep perfect form on those with heavier weights that cause failure in the single digits.

No swimming tonight but looking forward to Thursday evening's workout.  It will likely be a repeat of last night's swim.

. . . basically a very easy low back and hamstring stretch routine that my chiropractor gave me over a year ago and I've been following religiously . . .

I'm very interested in knowing what this routine consists of.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Even though it got down to 44o last night for the coldest since mid-April,

I was going detour from the afternoon 'mute over to the lakeside park

I've come to like to circle down the 800' beach and up-and-around

the grassy lawn before it gets too really cold but I got too tired

reading what BTY's doing.

whew.

Hello Runners (and tet),

I'm combining last night's swim workout with today's stretching and strength workout to make one entry.

On Monday night (I guess that's three for one) I swam 1200 yards for the first time after doing a week of 900 yarders.  What had originally taken 30:00 to complete was down to 24:00 since I was eliminating rests in the middle of sets, but not swimming noticeably faster; or at least I didn't feel that I was working harder.  The additional 300 yards filled in the time to get me back to 30:00 or so (31:00 to be exact).

So Tuesday night was 1200 yards again, and again it was in 31:00, but the difference was that I swam 50 yards of crawl, 50 yards of breast stroke, and 50 yards of backstroke to complete 150 yards, and repeated that 8 times with 1:00 breaks in the middle to get my HR down to 120 or so.  I had been doing 25/25/25 / 25/25/25.   Eventually I will work this to 100 / 100 / 100 for 300 yard intervals with breaks between each 300, or if my HR doesn't climb too high after a while, I'll eliminate the rests as well.

After I get that up to 6 sets = 1800 yards (~ 1 mile) I'm going to throw in a 25 yard length of butterfly at the beginning of each set.  I haven't done the butterfly for more than 25 yards in about 42 years.

This morning was 5:00 of stretching (basically a very easy low back and hamstring stretch routine that my chiropractor gave me over a year ago and I've been following religiously) followed by a "pull" workout consisting of pulldowns, rows, curls, internal and external shoulder rotation, and hip abduction and adduction.  I only do one set of each exercise and I use a resistance that causes me to fail around 6 or 7 reps on most exercises, but work at it until I can get up to 9 or 10 - then increase the weight so I fail at 6 or 7 again.  I don't know if anyone recommends this type of training for people my age (54) but I think that it's a style of training that more people could benefit from as long as they attend to proper form.  I move slowly, try to get full range of motion, and try to be the quietest person in the gym.   The exceptions to the rep range protocol are hip abduction and adduction where the weight stack is light so I do high reps, and internal and external shoulder rotation.  Due to a torn rotator cuff a few years back, I make sure I can get at least 12 reps on those exercises.  It's hard to keep perfect form on those with heavier weights that cause failure in the single digits.

No swimming tonight but looking forward to Thursday evening's workout.  It will likely be a repeat of last night's swim.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

anachrotech

Well, I'm starting all over AGAIN.  Best I can do right now is a real fast walk / slow walk intervals, but I hope to start the C25K soon.

I missed my endorphins. 

Wish me luck.  I want to at least get to where I can do my Saturday 6 mile.

Marathon Maniac #957

BTY - Great job on the swimming!

Anachrotech - welcome back!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anachrotech

BTY - Great job on the swimming!

Anachrotech - welcome back!

Thank you.  I'll probably won't post much until I actually do some running (or what passes for running for me).

Joe618

I threw in the towel on the Cubs at the end of the 11th. It was 11:20 already and nothing good was happening... and so it goes. Til April I guess...

Yeah, there were sooooooo many bad years as a Cub fan, I just can't not watch a key game.   And, they COULD have won...had their chances.  I was then up at 5:15am this morning for a plant tour with 12 of our young engineers of a Toyota factory, as we also implement the Toyota Production System (Lean Manufacturing) at our plant.   Even with a headache from fatigue, it was  a fantastic day and got our people thinking well.

Got home and got in 5.2 miles in 86F and a desiccating south wind.  Getting mileage back up and it's going OK.

And now I do it again...my OTHER favorite team, the Oakland A's, fell quickly behind the Yankees.   My whole season could be done tonight.   Or not.

I like baseball.

Jay, megacongrats on the sellout on the HM.   I used to be RD of a marathon with a limited capacity and I remember those pleading emails when we'd sell out.   Good on you and enjoy the race prep.

Steve, awesome to only be off $10 on a big inventory count.   Enjoy the audit, you'll be fine.

Rock on, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.