Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 1 (Read 441 times)

Another good salad. -cesar mix or romaine -sliced mushrooms fresh -croutons -grilled chicken breast with some spice on it -cooked bowtie pasta -cesar dressing and grated parm -whole black olives or serve the dressing on the side Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

All this talk of food is making me hungry. I learned a good trick not long ago. I love kashi go lean crunch, but I am not a person who measures things. A suggestion I was given is to cut up the banana (insert favorite fruit here) and put it on the bottom of the bowl, then add the cereal. It fools your eyes into thinking there is more in the bowl than there really is. using smaller plates also works.
        Kashi has a lot of calories in it, doesn't it? I looked on the box at the store and I think there were 190 calories in a a serving. I know they're not as healthy, but you get a lot more "bang for your buck" with Cheerios. Love 'em with some blueberries, strawberries or bananas sliced on top with a little skim milk (no sugar). That way if I go over a cup serving, I don't feel as guilty. I'm interested everyone's feedback about going off meds for BC, hormone replacement etc. I agree that if you don't have to take them, good for you. When NOT taking them affects your quality of life, then it's not such a good idea. I tried going off hormone replacement meds a couple of months ago, and I couldn't handle it. I was waking up 3 or 4 times a night drenched in sweat (sorry everyone, TMI I know). I had to change clothes, sometimes even the sheets because it was so bad. When you don't sleep at night, you don't function during the day. So, I went back on. I know the risks involved and yes, I know I'm a couple of pounds heavier because I'm on them, but it's nice to feel like a human being. I hope when all of you "younger" women start this process, it's easier for you.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - granola-type cereals are always pretty high in calories, even though they are low in fat and very nutritious. That's why I don't snack on it much - I could just eat it by the handful easily, and rack up a huge number of very nutritious calories. That's why I mix Kashi Crunch half and half with Fiber One, which is very low in calories and very filling. I get the great granola taste without overdoing it. As for the hormone replacement, I agree with you that if your quality of life is being strongy affected by miserable symptoms, well, I'd rather not be miserable.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dutchie42

Hi Everyone, Forgot to check in last week. Weighed in at 128.09 lbs (58.1kg) last Thursday. Lost a little bit. I've been loosing weight slowly but steady so I just continue what I'm doing. Holly: I used to do that too but exchanged my unhealthy pre dinner snack with a bag of little carrots at first. Later on only half a bag. And these days I don't need a pre dinner snack anymore. Well, most days anyway.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Renee the dog

Kashi has a lot of calories in it, doesn't it? I looked on the box at the store and I think there were 190 calories in a a serving.
              Hmmm. I'm a 3 meal a day girl. Tried the grazing thing -- not for me-- I gain weight 'cause I never feel full. So 190 cal in the Go Lean + 3/4 cup of 1% milk = 266 calories. Considering I'm supposed to eat 1800-2000 calories a day, that doesn't seem like a high calorie count. I've been eating that lately a couple days a week, and the nice thing is, I'm not hungry until lunchtime. For me, a less complex cereal -- just Os or just rice -- doesn't keep me satiated through the morning. So for me, those are calories well-spent. I like the hint about putting the fruit in first, but I try to stay away from anything that involves a knife first thing in the morning... Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

JLynne - Yes, you do what you have to stay sane. My SIL is having trouble, but I don't think she's gone down the hormone replacement road yet. One of her problems is she's a sweater (as in body sweat, not something you put in Tongue ) anyway, so the hot flashes don't help. I've been told that whatever your mother went through, you can pretty expect to do the same. I have no idea what is in my future in that regard since my mom not only had a hysterectomy in her 20s (?), but died at 45. I do, however, remember sitting in the living room freezing our butts off while she was over on the couch in the lightest clothes she could put on with a fan blasting her in the face. Roll eyes

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie - I'm exactly like your SIL. You ought to see me when I get off the treadmill. It can be pretty disgusting. Blush I feel warm all the time but especially at night. I'm not sleeping in much these days... I never remember my mother's menopause experience. I remember her being crabby in her late 40's, early 50's, but she had six kids, a full-time job and a husband who was an alcoholic and didn't work. No wonder she was crabby. Nono - you're right about the Cheerios and Rice Krispies not sticking with you all morning. Maybe I should try the Kashi. If it keeps you full until lunch, the calories would be worth it. Thanks for the tip, and I hope you feel better. (maybe try some of that bourbon you were talking about on the other thread Wink) Dutchie - congrats and keep up the good work!
                  evanflein

Jlynne, one thing to remember about HRT is it doesn't make you miss that phase completely, just puts it off. It might be worth it to go through the symptoms and be done with it. Hints I try: I have terrible night sweats for about a week every month. I find that sleeping in a night shirt helps cuz I can throw off the comforter without getting chilled. Sleep on a towel. When you wake up wet, you can dry off, toss the towel and your bed is dry (or get another towel...). Estroven PM. It's an herb-based nutriceutical sold in the health food section of most groceries. My doc recommended it when I said I didn't want any hormone treatment (including Nuva-ring, or BCP). It seems to help a little bit. I think the increased breast cancer risks of the HRT far outweigh any quality of life concerns... Kashi Crunch, yes it's higher in calories than some cereals, but that's for a full cup. Most granolas are higher calories for a smaller serving.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jlynne - I eat Fiber One cereal every morning. I have a whole cup = 120 calories plus it is my full day of fiber requirements right there. Little bit of skim milk and some Nutri-sweet too. 200 calories tops for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunchtime. As for the nightsweats - I am going through that too. I sleep with our slider door open a crack - even this time of year - and wear a real light weight nightie. I saw on "The Doctor's" a few weeks ago that you can now buy "wicking night wear" just for this problem. I still have to look into that though.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Renee the dog

Thanks for the tip, and I hope you feel better. (maybe try some of that bourbon you were talking about on the other thread Wink)
                          Oh I thought about it. But, I'm on my own again this week, so I will wait until the kids are asleep tonight. My kids are generally coordinated, but the day I have a drink during the day is the day someone will injure him/herself and I'll be in the emergency room: the parent with bourbon on her breath... Black eye Anyway, in weight news, my watch is loose! So, unless metal can stretch, I'm getting smaller!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

I saw on "The Doctor's" a few weeks ago that you can now buy "wicking night wear" just for this problem. I still have to look into that though.
                            Just sleep in your running clothes..... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly - I'll FINISH in sweaty wet stuff, I don't want to START out in it! Loved the 7 menopausal dwarfs - they made me laugh because I can relate to all of them. Nono - great news about your loose fitting watch. If you switched from bourbon to vodka, the ER staff wouldn't be able to smell anything. Big grin Thanks for all the tips on healthy breakfast choices. I know I'm my own worst enemy - if I ate better, I'd probably be running 6 minute miles!
                                Just sleep in your running clothes..... Smile
                                sounds funny - but one of my best nights sleep i did just that -- slept in a loose long sleeve running shirt with a pair of pj shorts and slept great!! the night sweats are getting to me too -- at least 2 or 3x/night -- gross!! i decided to try something new with the Kashi Go Lean Crunch today -- also my favorite cereal - i measured out 1cup this morning, used some with my yogurt then used the rest to nibble as a snack later -- that way i'm not going into the box for extra helpings with no idea how much more i'm eating (cuz it's usually TOO much). leslie - love the 7 menopausal dwarfs!!

denise