Masters Running

12/26 Happy Day After Christmas - Runs And Such (Read 376 times)

jules2

Avoided all the illnesses and excesses of Christmas and ran a 6 mile handicap race then into the pub for a couple of beers. 6.13 miles in 41.51 so looking forward to 2009 and back to racing again after this years problems. Good luck to everybody for next year.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

my new Sugo running skirt. 44:53, 8:58 pace
      You must have the Sugoi Bijin model guaranteed to sub-nine. - color, etc.? ps - Sugoi means "fantastic" in Japanese. good luck tim. Tomorrow'll be 28 same as in November but I'll get at least 32 by 1/1

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

a 6 mile handicap race
        We silly Americans (at least those who don't golf or bowl) are curious about how such a race works. Slower folks get a head start? Fast folks have to run with a sack of flour or a child on their shoulders?

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks Holly, but Twocat Emailed me his in depth recovery plan from his serious bout with AT also. But would love to see Steve's plan as well if he wants to Email it to me. biketm42 at webtv dot net Nice runs today already Smile T Bo
          Tim, I don't maintain the RA Log anymore but it was active during my PF bout. If you scan through from April 20, 2007 when the MRI results came out and then especially starting May 21st when I started my transition from water to land, you can see what I did to recover. The first 40/40 week was week of July 9th. (I opened my log for all to see so you can just click on "view log")

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

srlopez, you have that figured out correctly. The handicap race is a lot of fun. Runners leave the starting line at times adjusted to their expected finish, so the speedy guys go off last. It's a lot of fun. Dallas Running Club puts one on every year and I ran in one in Australia a few years ago. Finish line work is a bit busy for the volunteers though, as everyone comes in around the same time. What a nice run for you Perch. This is as much confidence now as it is overall conditioning. Once you get in a good rhythm at that pace, you know you can sustain it when you are great shape like you are. Lou, while your natural comfortable pace doesn't "fit" into the general guidelines for easy, keep in mind that they are just guidelines. I sense you are very comfortable at that pace; if you weren't, you would ease off it. Good to hear from you Roy and wishing you continued recovery. Tim, I hope you get some encouraging news. I ran a slow 4.6 with the Saint today at the park. My leg didn't bother me too much as we went pretty slow. I was thinking this morning that maybe I am lucky this leg is a bit weak and gives me trouble, because it keeps me from running too fast too soon.

jules2

We silly Americans (at least those who don't golf or bowl) are curious about how such a race works. Slower folks get a head start? Fast folks have to run with a sack of flour or a child on their shoulders?
              The start is from 11:00 onwards and you have to use previous form to predict the time it will take you to run so its similar to a golf handicap system. Iin my case I guessed 43:00 so they put me down for a 11:17 start, in theory everybody should then finish at 12:00 but luckily it never quite pans out like that. Some do it in fancy dress, one year I suffered the humiliation of being overtaken by a pink fairy with a dog on a lead, it wouldn't have been so bad but it was a small dog. I must admit this year I hesitated when overtaking the two St Trinian school girls as they were a sight for sore eyes from behind.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xor

a pink fairy with a dog on a lead
                Wasn't me. My two dogs aren't good in races.

Mariposai

I am a sloth this morning. I had the same thoughts as perchcreek to out for an early morning run, but laziness won. My plan is to do my long wave run today so I can be free to go skiing with DH tomorrow. Wishing and praying for GOOD news from Tim's doctor. Please promise us that you will go easy on your recovery stage, OK pal? It is good to see the Jogger around here. I hope you stay away from the flu bug Holly. We don't want you sick.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

In a hurry since I went to the foot doctor on my lunch hour, and need to get back to work. In short Sad He said I was potentially still 6 more weeks away from running....even though I am pain free. He said while I may not feel pain, the AT is still healing and has a way to go for full recovery. He gave me the Shocked when he looked at my black and blue broken toes. He said that alone could keep me from running 6 or so more weeks Angry One other issue that bugged him was, my left foot still turns inward way to much. But was better than when I seen him last, when he gave me a brace to wear to help correct this problem. This is usually the part where I say "screw it", I am going to start running anyways....but won't... Not funny anymore. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

. . . one year I suffered the humiliation of being overtaken by a pink fairy with a dog on a lead, it wouldn't have been so bad but it was a small dog. I must admit this year I hesitated when overtaking the two St Trinian school girls as they were a sight for sore eyes from behind.
                      Big grin Thanks for the chuckle! RunninginDC/Liz - I'd like the interview questions, as well, if you don't mind. fatozzig at yahoo dot com. Thank you! Tim - I can only imagine the doctor's astonishment over your broken toes. Sorry to hear about the extra weeks. I know you're tired of hearing it, but you will be so happy you let yourself fully heal. Guaranteed. My 3-mile run this a.m. put me over 1,000 miles for the year. Yea! Also did a hour of core/strength training. Now I need a shower and gotta go looking for underwear for the Hub. Can't get much more exciting than that! Have a good one - Smile

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I wouldn't feel so bad about being passed by a pink Faerie...it could have been PBJ... I have been beaten by a clam...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

I wouldn't feel so bad about being passed by a pink Faerie...it could have been PBJ... I have been beaten by a clam...
                          But at least it wasn't a Subway sandwich.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LMAO Holly! I so remember that picture. I am happy to report that I have yet to be beaten in a race by someone wearing a costume. It's good to see Roy again. Perch, that was an excellent run this morning. Tim, it's great that your AT is pain free but it sounds like you need to not let that lull you into starting to run again. It's almost a good thing that you busted those toes if it keeps you from starting back to early. Hang in there! Lou, I am always guilty of running too fast on my easy runs even if I am trying to run slowly. Today is a case in point - 8 GA miles in what should have been 7:54 or so but wound up as 7:45 - 1:01:45. It was a nice day for a run - 45 degrees and sunny, north winds at about 10 mph. Yesterday's 4 miler apparently did the job of getting my legs back feeling good again. There is something to be said for those magical healing miles, though they certainly don't feel magical while you are struggling through them.

Once a runner . . .

King of PhotoShop

Yesterday's 4 miler apparently did the job of getting my legs back feeling good again. There is something to be said for those magical healing miles, though they certainly don't feel magical while you are struggling through them.
                              Daws summed up this oddity when he said that your hard runs should be easy and your easy runs should be hard, and that makes sense. You should go into your key workouts sufficiently recovered so you feel them as easy to execute. Then when you do your recovery run the next day, it often feels like you are barely slogging through it because your legs are tired. Spareribs
                              wildchild

Carolyn

I had a "hard easy" run today - 7 miles in the snow with my best furry running buddies. 20 degrees and overcast, but not windy! Yesterday I skipped my run because even though it was 30 degrees, the wind was 30 mph. I got Spirit of the Marathon for Christmas, and watched it last night with DH and DD. None of us really liked it - we thought it was kind of slow paced and boring. Happy Boxing day!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.