Masters Running

Wednesday, 4.20.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

At Robin's Par-tay in Boston, she introduced me to Marc, who is a runner and personal trainer. And he introduced me to the concept of 'rhythmic breathing.' Basically, it is the concept of alternating foot strikes when you exhale. Breathing in and out on the same side all the time produces stresses on just one side of your body, which leads many people to minor/major injuries always on the same side of their body. Rhythmic breathing can at lease balance out, and therefore reduce those stresses. Here is the article that Robin forwarded to me that explains the concept a lot better than I can:  http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-on-air-breathing-technique

This morning: 7.1 RW miles in 45F temps with a near-fool moon just beginning to set. I tried rhythmic breathing on this workout, and it took a lot of focus because I never really thought all that much about foot plants and breathing together. But when I was focused on it and into it, it felt good. Of course, them my mind would wander, and I'd lose that focus and have to start over again. I imagine that with practice, it will come more naturally, and without as much focus required. I'm one of those people whose injuries are almost always on the same side of my body, so I'll be interested to see if this makes a difference. Also, my pace as pretty good this morning (11:38 average, including a half-mile warm-up), but I don't know how much (if any) rhythmic breathing played a part in that.

We have a meeting this afternoon to begin the process of developing the numbers and negotiating a conservation easement on 170 acres that crosses borders between our town and a neighboring town. For me, this is good stuff.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...jay//......yeah, the Breathing Becomes the Focus, it's a good Distraction Technique

=========

still trying to Grow Some Skin over these damn bunions

Luckily

Pickles has given me about 2-hours of Grass Pulling

to do out in the yard

so

I'll be Rythmic Breathing and Trying to Grow Skin

..............Kinda reminds you of The Karate Kid doesn't it??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I normally go for a 2 in, 3 out pattern of breathing (when I am thinking about it) and I have never even been a Hindu.  Maybe that is why I have few hip issues? I always thought it was because I don't run very far or very hard.  I may try to flip that around to 3 in, 2 out based on the article.

Today was 5 miles at the park and 3 sets of a core workout that I have been trying to get more consistent at.

Yesterday's first in a long time hill workout left me with some sore spots but nothing too bad.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Back home, safe and sound.  Bet everyone is ready to start looking forward and be done with all the Boston chatter.  Got it!  Just want to squeak in with one last thanks to Marj, Henry, Jay, and dear Stumpy for a really memorable time in Watertown, to Robin for the party (missed the walk, deez--found the bgood, thanks!), and to you all for caring enough to track us.  Really swell of you.  DH also sends along his HUGE appreciation to Jay for the 1:1 lesson in race walking.  He noticeably reduced his pace in the 5K!

And of course, congrats to everyone.   (well, except the Sox, who kept me entertained and focused.....until the bottom of the ninth, at mile 25.  Ooof, huge deflating sound from Fenway that created a headwind.)

Like Jay, I usually get injured on the left side.  (Not to mention, that was side where the cancer was detected.)   Think I'll try out the breathing routine.

Um, tw, so the grass must be in some vegetable or flower beds?  Because if not, there's this thing called a lawn mower.....  so assuming the former, you must have some pretty big beds going on there!

Sayhey Carolyn, Leslie, I have a trailrun for you, and you Midwesterners too!  Last year, we met a lovely couple from Canada who work for a company that is part of John Hancock.  They came down to volunteer at Boston.  The hotel we stayed at had a little reception Monday evening and they were there again.  So the race is "Run for the Toad," and it's in Paris, Ontario.  http://www.runforthetoad.com/

This year's date is October 1, 2016.  50K and 25K.   Deb and Doug guarantee you won't be disappointed in the spirit of the race, and the food after is pretty darn good, too.

Well, I have that 'swallowed a melon whole' feeling in my tummy as I'm missing everyone and wishing there'd been more time to hang out and chat.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Amy, glad you are home safe and sound.  I spent some time this morning reading your blogs (from your tagline) ,,,,Very nice writing, I really enjoyed "The Sisterhood of the marathon trials" and "How it Begins?".

Jay, I have been doing rhythmic breathing for quite a while. Ironically it sounded exactly like a book I read when I first started running called

The Complete Book of Running by Claire Kowalchik.  She is a co-author with Budd Coats of this book that you sent the link for. It does help keep focus for me. Last night though, I got into a 2-2 pattern and it took a while to get back in rhythm. Good old belly-breathing does the trick.

Tomwhite, good luck on your workout of grass-pulling and skin-growing. I have a lot of grass coming along with the perennials in my flower beds too. We try to make it grow in the lawn though

Dave, I did hills yesterday but don't have any sore spots. Our hills are not that big.

Good runs to all today, I plan to go to the Y after work for some weights.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

I think I tend to do the 2 in 2 out breathing mostly, so maybe I should try the 3 in 2 out.

5.8 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice long runs for fatozzig and Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was just a light wind.  I ran 3 miles at an 11:11 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Bet everyone is ready to start looking forward and be done with all the Boston chatter.

TIRED OF BOSTON.
                   You've gotta be kidding amy, especially for those of us who didn’t take advantage of our chance to do it when we could have done it, I’ll never get tired of Boston stories and comments, particularly from those who have been there in one-way-or-the-other, including volunteers, spectators, etc. and done it, no matter when.  Maybe those who have done it get tired of it but I doubt it same as how could anyone else get tired of Boston?   Never.
                  BREATHING.
                  After personally thoroughly discrediting a theory about ten years ago that you should breathe through your nose and exhale through your mouth when running, I’ll start mixing-and-matching my breathing with running strides when I start wearing shoes or a watch, i.e. never. Besides, I thought “3x2" was MikeE’s running regime not his breathing. And no, I am not stubborn.
                  RUNNING.
                  Another sunny five mile run-a-mute with temps predicted to reach into the eighties for a record-setting fourth April day in a row but with forecasters predicting it’ll be back to normal tonight.  we’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I'm not sure what I do - when breathing.  All my injuries are on my left.  Weaker mechanics on that side.

4.3 miles this am, in the cool air.  Slow...gosh, so slow.

Then BBB to work.  Saw a girl biker down on one of my busy streets with police, fire truck, ambulance and a neck brace on her, although, all that said, I think she was ok.  That's two crashed bikers I've seen on that road in the last 2 months, it's scary.  At a stop light, another girl biker complimented me on my new black and purple bike shorts that match my purple jacket and Gigi.  There is a lot of fashion to consider in the biking world!  Running is simpler that way, and safer.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My breathing when running sucks.  I've known that for a long time.  I need to be more diligent about working on belly breathing.  And I listened to a podcast awhile back about the alternating breathing.  It DOES take concentration!

A big shout out to our Boston runners - You guys rock!!

I think my Garmin is lying to me.  In fact, I KNOW it's lying.  This morning's 5 - the last mile was supposed to be hard (and it was!).  El Lying Garmino said my pace was a 9:09.  That's just not possible.  Not only was I running almost as hard as I could, but it was a net downhill almost the whole way.  I'm slow, but I'm not THAT slow.  Cripes, my tempo miles last week were 8:47 and I absolutely was running harder today.  So I don't know what bug is up its butt, but it better change it's tune.

RANT ON:

Last Wednesday I placed an expedited order for some memorial cards for Saturday.  Paid an extra $30 for the expedited service to have them by last Friday. Today - still no cards and the info from the UPS tracking is worthless for this particular delivery.  Called TinyPrints, who looked into the matter and had UPS call me.  To paraphrase UPS - It's stuck in transit and there's nothing we can do for you.  Me: Can you change the delivery to where I'm going? UPS (in a "you're really boring me tone"):  There's nothing we can do for you.  Call TinyPrints.

I called Tiny Prints and politely, but with emphasis, said, Hey.  This ain't gonna work, folks.  So Tiny Prints is redoing the order at no charge and sending it by 2 day delivery to where we're staying in Cambria.

Thank you, Tiny Prints, for coming through (at least they better come through or I'll be demanding requesting a full refund).  And UPS - you can bite me on this one.

RANT OFF

Okay - and on that note - have a great Wednesday, friends ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

''Um, tw, so the grass must be in some vegetable or flower beds?  Because if not, there's this thing called a lawn mower.....  so assuming the former, you must have some pretty big beds going on there!''

yeah,

this dawned on me while I was out there, I meant flower beds..........

and

after doing it,

we're never going to plant anything that we can't eat

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

fatozzig good for TinyPrints, boo to UPS. I guess I am not surprised at each firm's reaction. Delivery companies are more or less of the attitude, we generally keep our word and if not, well maybe next time. Have a nice day.

As to breathing I stopped doing that some time ago. Found all the inhaling and exhaling took way too much concentration. Now I just moan a lot and eat an occasional person. 

Tomorrow it is off to Lexington Kentucky for a conference. Mike E would love this trip. Two flights out and two back all in about a 60 hour time frame! On the plus side, at the conference's end there is a quick trip planned to a local bourbon tasting bar! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I used to be a professional breather before I started running, with all that yoga nonsense I used to do. But that got me way more injured than running ever did, so what do I know?

Boston, yeah, just got home driving from there. I did NOT earn a BQ with that trip, since it took well over four hours...

In all seriousness though, thanks everyone for remembering me and tracking me on Monday. Loved reading through that thread! I do have some pictures I'd like to share, so could someone please remind me how to post photos here from an iPad? Thanks.

Yesterday I went out for my assigned 30 minute walk, from my apartment to the post office, up to Boston Common and around it, and then back down to the grocery store to pick up a couple things. Then I still had another 10 minutes to walk back home, oops. Overachiever as usual.

And today I swam repeated circles in the tiny pool of the adjoining hotel spa for about a half hour, feeling like Zoolander who can only turn right because he's not an ambi-turner. I guess that makes me not an ambi-swimmer?? Regardless, my quads, calves (and abs!) are all still quite sore, but that's to be expected. Tomorrow I get to try a little 3 mile jog. Yippee!

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks O.M.  Check today's post if you've a minute.

tet, it was my 10th.

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks Starr!  Check today's (and you might like it O.M.) post if you have time.

tet- my 10th Boston.