Masters Running

Thursday, June 5th Daily (Read 650 times)

tnally

Aamos, I'm not a regular here, but had to drop by to wish you and DH all the best. It does seem like one of those "miracles" that this event took place in such a supportive venue. SO GLAD it turned out well. Best of luck with the surgery! (Oh yeah, and GO SOX!) Big grin Tom
      The above statement is not true. I will address this later when I have time...and reiterate some thoughts about 'testing', cardiac risk factors etc... (edited to keep my tongue in check.)
      Happy to start posting citations to academic evidence for what I wrote. It is not that all tests at all times are dubious. But, the evidence favoring putting seemingly healthy people through an essentially random battery of tests seems to be of uncertain value. Even an X-ray can increase a person's chance of coming down with cancer. Yes, the odds are small, and it will not be for some time. However, it does mean that getting an X-ray better produce benefits that are likely to outweigh the costs. Before this turns into something it should not I am not an MD. However, I am an expert in statistics. I discuss issues like cost-benefit analysis with medical researchers and those that study how medical research generates conclusions. I am not a neophyte in the area.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey, thanks everyone--and I didn't mean to stir up a debate, it's just so frustrating to deal with this when he'd been having regular check-ups, following orders, etc.--he even flosses regularly! FYI: we've gotten an email from the Steamboat folks checking in and following along. They really are special. OK, so surgery started and things are good so far. Post your miles folks, talk amongst yourselves--it so helps to check in here. Your support truly means a lot to me, and I'm looking forward to printing this out and showing it to D when he's back among the conscious. grins, A ps: Carolyn, I'm so happy for you, congrats!
        Masters 2000 miles
          Aamos, WOW. I have never posted to the daily, but I happened upon your post and was overwhelmed by your story. Mr. Aamos and Aamos are in my thoughts and prayers. Mr. Aamos was so fortunate to have this happen at a race, where the qualified personnel could help him so quickly. Get better soon, Mr. Aamos!!!! John
            OMG, Aamos, Big hugs and prayers to you and your husband. I will be thinking of you/him all day. I haven't had a chance to read everyone's reply but when I saw 4 pages on the daily already I knew something was going on and had to read your entry.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos--just wanted to add my best wishes to you and your husband. Hope things continue to turn out positively as they seem to so far. As another with a family history of cardiac problems, I can understand a lot of the concerns raised here. It's also one of the main reasons that keep me running. I was late logging on today and was surprised to see so many replies already. I though everyone was really busy running today. then I read the first and said--"No wonder!" Hope DH is a Sox fan, too. they seem to be in a good stretch to keep his spirits up Smile Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Speaking as a computer programmer with no knowledge of medicine or statistics, Smile I always look for a family doctor who is slow to order tests and medication. I only want that stuff as a last resort. When I was in the hospital for dizziness, my doctor came by and said that I had a tiny discrepancy in my first stress test but wanted me to do another type to make sure it was nothing. He said that he could discuss it with a cardiologist and there happened to be one available in the hall, but that he would almost certainly recommend a more invasive test. Since medical stuff sends me into panic attacks, I requested he not talk to the other guy. (Kind of stupid of me to more afraid of a medical test than a possible health problem but I have a hope that if the other test really was necessary my doctor would have known that. This incident makes me have second thoughts.)

I Can Go The Distance

Amy, you and your DH are in my prayers also. Glad to hear that the surgery has started out well. I was not going to post my miles for the day until I got to your follow-up post. I hope that reading about your friends' day here at RA and Kick will help you get through the day, along with our prayers. 7 miles w/3 mile tempo run for me today: 2 mile warm-up 22:58 Tempo run: mile1: 8:36 mile 2: 8:28 mile 3: 8:13 2 mile cool-down 19:52 Total: 7 miles in 1:10:06 10:01/mile pace. Have a great day everyone as we hold up Amy and her husband. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg - I wouldn't be surprised if the heart rate reading was accurate. When mine was wrong, it was really wrong - like well into the 200's, and this usually occurred when I was in the car and drove through some unidentified electrical interference. It happened consistently at particular intersections. The only other time it did it was when the battery was going out in the chest monitor. PDR - hope you are feeling better - missed your posts.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Post your miles folks, talk amongst yourselves--it so helps to check in here. Your support truly means a lot to me, and I'm looking forward to printing this out and showing it to D when he's back among the conscious. grins, A
                      I already talked about running today. So, here's something for "D" to make him smile!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy, hugs to you and DH. Were you still on the marathon course when he collapsed? How did the race folks get hold of you? I agree with whoever said it must not have been his day to go - so lucky that he was close to help, and not out on a solo run somewhere. I spend virtually all my running time out on solo runs, but when it's my time to go, that sounds like as good a way as any, out running some trail somewhere. Are you still in Ft Collins? I wish I was closer - I'd come sit with you in the waiting room! Liking my new job so far, but not liking the long commute. It was snowing at home when I left for work today...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

lamerunner

Hi Aamos I too read but almost never reply to the daily, but you have moved me to log in for a change. You and DH are in my thoughts; hope all goes well with they bypass. My father died at 39 from a heart issue, so it is something I do think about as I head toward 50. I read your posts often and enjoy them. I am also an attorney, bankruptcy mostly. I confess I checked to see your time as Steamboat.. ( sick runner, I know) your maniac exploits are impressive! How quckly were they able to find you? Grins for you and DH!
                            Because I cannot help myself here are links to two articles written in reasonably plain English on why it is often a bad idea for people without any symptoms of ill health to get tested for more or less random possible diseases. One of the most important things about these articles is that they include citations to the underlying research. The first is from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on sreeening for coronary heart disease. Here are the two primary recommendations: 1. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends against routine screening with resting electrocardiography (ECG), exercise treadmill test (ETT), or electron-beam computerized tomography (EBCT) scanning for coronary calcium for either the presence of severe coronary artery stenosis (CAS) or the prediction of coronary heart disease (CHD) events in adults at low risk for CHD events. 2. The USPSTF found insufficient evidence to recommend for or against routine screening with ECG, ETT, or EBCT scanning for coronary calcium for either the presence of severe CAS or the prediction of CHD events in adults at increased risk for CHD events. The second article is from a web site called Science Based Medicine. This one is on cancer screening and is a two part article. I am not generally endorsing the opinions of this web site as many of the articles come without citations, but this one does. Part I and Part II. Again I do not mean to imply that no one should ever get screened. It is just that seemingly healthy people without elevated risk factors (and alas age can be an elevating factor) should think about the risks that testing can bring about: more tests, unnecessary surgery, etc.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

On a less serious note, I keep noticing your attachment to some ball team out east. Since you have apparently deserted your Michigan roots, you are not allowed to savor the hoisting of the Stanley Cup by the Red Wings last night! You'll just have to wait until the Bruins get there (fat chance!).
                              Pssst.........psssssst......Amy...start talking basketball here.
                              Vista
                                Wow, aamos that's quite a story. I am sure your positive attitude will help him get back on his feet in that 6 week time frame. I'm pulling for you both. Mark