Masters Running

Thursday, June 5th Daily (Read 650 times)

Basketball!? I am angry at basketball. Has it always overlapped so much into BASEBALL? I love baseball. I'm not so fond of basketball (except when the r.s. or DS1 play). Aamos and D. I'm glad that you have each other and that D. is being cared for appropriately. I am in the waiting room with you. Aamos, we prayed the rosary this morning, the glorious mysteries. You both were blessed but, I feel blessed for the opportunity to pray, sometimes I forget. Thank you Aamos and D. As to whether or not this test or that should be done. I have a BSN but only worked in L&D. I took statistics in college, sorry to say but I am not a fan... (No offense TwoCat, somebody has to do stats, I'm just glad it's not me) One thing I've learned about statistics and this is purely subjective (shudder!)... they don't really help an individual. As much as one would hope, medicine is not an exact science where everyone is placed neatly in a category. Medicine is an art and a science. Sometimes a physician might just have a gut instinct to order a test. Perhaps the patient doesn't have all the risk factors but something nudges the doc... Case in point: My friend's sister died of breast cancer, so, sure, my friend had risk factors... but her doctor said, "Patty, this might seem like overkill but, I'd like you to have an MRI instead of a mammogram this year." Patty agreed and the MRI showed something suspicious the size of a grain of sand (would not have been picked up on a radiograph mammogram) The grain of sand was removed and proved to be a very aggressive estrogen-fed cancer. Patty opted for a bilateral oophorectomy (ovaries removed). Patty is cancer free. Sure, this is women's health and not cardiology. But I think that the question was about routine screening tests and if invasive cardio tests should be performed without symptoms. I think the physician pointed out earlier that these tests are NOT scheduled routinely because there are risk factors and the procedures are invasive. The tests are ordered when indicated. I guess I just think that we can't rely on statistics to treat individuals.
    LaVita
    seemomgo

Amy - Is surgery in Ft Collins or Denver??? If you are in denver then contact me - you are welcome to stay at my house. loriboll at aol ...... Prayers for you and DH.
        FWIW, I have a cousin that had a heart attack last spring. Similar story, he was assumed to be in good shape, ran 10K races occasionally. I think he is in his late 40's early 50's. One parent still living, the other lived to be in her eighties. No family history of CAD. No problems with his check-ups, cholesterol etc. He had a heart attack while working on some physical job around the house. I believe they put a stent in? We are not in a lot of contact, so I don't really know the whole story. LaVita - I enjoyed your post. Statistics tell us the probability of something happening in a large population. Every individual is unique. Know your risk factors, use your gut. I am certain I needlessly underwent an invasive test a few years ago only because my insurance would cover the procedure and the doctor wanted the business. I love doctors, just not this one. It did not seem to be really medically warranted, but I trusted his opinion. The procedure left me completely incapacited for a week. And then he still wanted to run some more tests....so I ran for the hills...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke, Sorry to hear about your bad experience, glad you ran for the hills! We all need to educate ourselves, trust but verify (who said that?) So I wrote my previous post at work... I came home, got the mail, and read a note from Riverside Radiology... "Dear LaVita Dolce, We are pleased to tell you that your mammogram was normal." Yay! Am I going to be complacent now? No! Montly SBE (self breast exams) and yearly check-ups with my PCP and Gyn. I would consider going to mammograms every other year but my Gyn. prefers yearly. Any of you all have an opinion on this? Okay, back to why we're here: 1735 87 F unknown humidity % 17.3 miles on the road bike I like my bike.
          LaVita
            Just stopping in to see how Aamos and D are faring. It was great to see Amy's post while the surgery was underway. I am waiting in the Charlotte airport and with luck I'll be on the ground at Bradley airport in just a few hours. I think I'll hug my family extra hard when I get home. Amy, if you are checking back in, please know I am holding you and D in my heart and sending recovery strength your way each minute. We need your grins for a long time to come! Karin

The Jogger

Just in from work and quickly logged on, was shocked to see the daily but glad to read all will be well. God, you were so lucky this happened where and when it did. Take care Aamos & DH and look forward to the future...... Roy
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm going to give DH a big hug tonight!! I worry about him because his dad had a heart attack at 39 and then developed diabetes. He made it to 72, longer than he expected. I ran 5.3 miles this afternoon WITHOUT my Garmin because I hadn't recharged it. Perfect weather again - 60 and overcast. My ankle started bothering me the last couple of miles. Now it's really sore when I lift up my foot to take a step. Is there anything I should do?? Sad
                btb1490

Amy.... Sad Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and your husband. I cried when I heard the news from CNYRunner. Someone was watching over your husband. It wasn't his time yet, thank goodness. Godspeed to him with his recovery, and to you for the supporting role you are and will be playing. I wish I or someone was there with you to help you. Thank goodness you have this online community here. Life sure can take sudden unexpected turns, but I'm positive this detour you both are facing will end up with a silver lining. All the best to you and your husband. Putting a face to a name...
                    My ankle started bothering me the last couple of miles. Now it's really sore when I lift up my foot to take a step. Is there anything I should do?? Sad
                    Don't lift up your foot to take a step.
                    Vista
                      I hope SteveP doesn't listen to morning sports talk radio, two national hosts were debating with one saying Batman is not a super hero because he doesn't posess any super powers. I think someone here might disagree with that. A test for me to see how well I pay attention with increasing heat and humidity. On the plus side I ran slower, had put water on my cap and stuck it in the freezer last night, and stopped my run a mile earlier than I had planned because I figured I had reached a point of diminishing returns. Still felt fine but figured my first run in mid 80's temps wasn't a time to push anything. I did, however, manage to run at the hottest time of the day. I'm a slow learner. Unlike Eliz I actually prefer it when the temps are warm when I run, but then again I rarely run to set any kind of speed records. The principal in our building has been out all week because of a death in his family. We have put together a photo album titled "While You Were Out". We took various pictures in his office- a student who gets in trouble a fair amount sitting at the desk with his feet up talking on the phone, two teachers toasting with beer mugs (with apple juice) with signs reading Principal's Pub and All Day Happy Hour, Teachers sitting at his desk with candy cigarettes playing cards, etc. If he doesn't like it I will be on here seeking employment advice. Wink Hope some of this brought a smile to your face. Tut

Renee the dog

5 mi tonight with the babysitter -- really she's my running partner more than my babysitter anymore! Renee did 2 and then went home. We ran part of our night after handing the dog to Mr Nono up on the boardwalk. So funny how in the blink of an eye there's "season" and people and all the shops open. It wasn't very crowded so it was easy to run. Very fun.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

You all are the BEST! And you all pray even better than you run--just back from the ICU--surgery went well, he was out of surgery by 2:30, the breathing tube was out at 7 pm, all signs and vitals are good and strong! He was able to talk with me, is alert, and not feeling a lot of pain yet (guessing the anesthesia and pain killers haven't worn off yet). Am printing this out to bring to the hospital--thanks just doesn't begin to go anywhere near how I feel for you. Yes, and everyone, go hug someone you care for and appreciate them a little extra after you read this! Will be in touch, you can count on it! GRINS! A ps: nothing else to post, as I didn't get around to running today Wink pps: we're back in Rapid--D signed out of Ft. Collins {he was helicopted there}AMA, but that's another story. Thanks for the photo, Bob. So thoughtful of you!
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            --just back from the ICU--surgery went well, he was out of surgery by 2:30, the breathing tube was out at 7 pm, all signs and vitals are good and strong! He was able to talk with me, is alert, and not feeling a lot of pain yet (guessing the anesthesia and pain killers haven't worn off yet).
                            outstanding, Amy! We all wish him the very best and the quickest recovery... Cool
                            SteveP

(((((AAmos & DH))))). As you and your family are in our prayers, God Bless the RDs and EMTs on hand. We can do everything to the best of our abilities and some times things simply happen. Don't get me started Craneium. Any darn fool in tights can save the world if they have "powers". The Batman has a "super" brain and bank account. Lets not forget the sweet ride. Chicks dig the car.....And another thing...the garb..The other wannabes have all the bright flashy "look at me" designs...Yup.."Super egos"..How can a pansy @$$ wimp wear a red MUG over blue running tights honestly say, "Oh I hope no one notices me"..ACK. AND that WonderAmazon makes running in over the calf high heal boots look fun, easy and a good idea! Let me tell you, it's not that easy, nor is it good for your feet....I've heard any way. That's all you need to know about that. Any way DW and I went to the Iris Farm. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/531384494_a6d8f7b1b0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.leelanau.com/blog/the-iris-farm/&h=375&w=500&sz=142&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=beVNqt75om5d2M:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2B%2522the%2Biris%2Bfarm%2522%26as_st%3Dy%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG. She ordered a few. When she went to go pick more...I ordered her a few more. Evil grin . Mom's estate sale finally starts today. I may be keeping a low profile. We still have not addressed her air conditioner collection. Maybe one works, maybe not.

SteveP

Maniac 505

Amy, WOW WOW WOW! So glad to hear Dan is recovering well. reading through this thread had me so worried, (and we are so lucky to have Doctor Dale here). Arf and I so look forward to seeing you and Dan and Frank, at future races, Dave