Masters Running

Sunday 17 September 2023 (Read 37 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

I must be the first one up and done this morning. I ran 3.35 miles easy this morning in 55F temps. A little brisk but doable sans shirt.

Enjoy the day

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Joe. Good shirtless 3.35 miles to start your day.

There was another anniversary celebration at the restaurant where we had dinner last night; a cute couple was celebrating their 61st anniversary with a gaggle of family. They make us look like beginners...

I got out a little before dawn again this morning (yes - getting close to lunchtime), for a good 6.2 mile RW workout in refreshing 47° temps, with shirt.

We're heading back home from VT today, with a stop to visit a friend who recently moved to the Lake Sunapee region of northwestern NH. I baked a peach pound cake for her before we left home, and I hope it has survived the trip so far.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Shadow - nice shirtless at 55F.  Same temps here as the clouds rolled in overnight obliterating yesterday's last vestige of summer but no shirtless from me.  What's your shirtless degree limit and coldest?  The Seattle Marathon used to feature a shirtless guy who'd get lots of cheers from the rest of us wimps as he came back often through miserable rain and wind across the out-and-back on the floating bridge.  However, I think MikeE is our only other shirtless runner now.  I guess I would too if my belly looked like yours. Enjoy it while it lasts.

14 blocks down to the cityside park in preparation for a couple of miles out at Ikea later this morning, and probably through the early afternoon once their Swedish pancake breakfast and maybe Swedish meatball lunch are included, .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Shadow.  I wore a light long sleeved shirt (pushed sleeves up pretty soon) at 59 degrees.  I hate to be cold.  6.3 miles done.  My early miles are getting more and more miserable.  It used to be just the first mile, but as I get older it stretches well into the 2nd mile.  Did OK after that.  Beautiful morning.

I hope the cake survived, Jay!  I'm sure it will be wonderful- even if it is squished.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Shadow. Until your post yesterday, I didn't realize you were right on the Delaware Bay. That must be a nice area to live in.

Everyone's rooting for Moebo to stay healthy so she runs Baystate and we get a nice Masters Meet-up TM

Looks like I missed KSA's birthday and Jay's anniversary this week. Belated congrats to both of you.

Up at 5 and headed out with my bike in the truck at 6...only to realize it's really dark at that hour now! Oops. I puttered around for a few minutes and headed out later.  Nice cool morning, so I got 50 miles done at a decent pace; long for me.

Barn cleaning chores today. We're finally tackling what to do about an old pole barn on our property. Everything from tear it down to fix it up and modify it for actual usable space is on the table. It was used for boarding horses by the previous owner but it's not one of those fancy horse barns, just a crude dirt floor, pole frame, with T-111 sheathing. The latter--along with the roof--is rotting out badly and I wonder how those poles are doing below grade. I park my lawn tractor in it and we've lazily thrown things like ladders, kayaks, and gardening implements back there but it's a mess, too big for our purposes, inappropriately laid-out, etc.  Mice, snakes, birds, and various other critters consider it a housing development, too. Anyway, first step is to clean it out to see what we actually need for storage. Home-ownership is so exciting.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

Beautiful morning here, same temps as previous posters. Marj accompanied me for a 3.1 mile walk with a few sitting breaks along Muddy River

Longest I’ve gone in quite some time and we had to take breaks as my heart rate accelerated and I became a bit wobbly. Our club 5K isinn2 months and I’m not sure I can do it. However, I’ll keep doing 5K’s about once a week till then. Yes, old age sucks but it beats the alternative.

Woke up feeling crappy in the middle of the night - Covid negative this morning but will have a complete rest day and retest tomorrow. I really hope it’s just a head cold but I guess that is how Covid is presenting right now as well - sore throat and nasal congestion.

Yesterday 5.2 mile run with the SS crew and a nice post-run breakfast. Went home and did a bunch of Peloton classes including bike and strength work - I clearly felt great yesterday morning 

Spent the afternoon doing stuff around the house then 4p mass, drove to Maine and had a fun night at the band in the campground.

Today will look quite different  Oh and Jay - we had far less damage yesterday in OOB than we did the week before during that fast Friday afternoon storm!!

I have to work the day before Baystate so hopefully I will be on the route cheering on Moebo and maybe we can plan a post race meet-up!! Keep us posted on your plans.

denise

dnaff

I took a rest day yesterday and am still not quite ready to run so it was a workout with free weights, Thera bands, and some body weight stuff.  Looks like the afternoon involves a whole lot of tree trimming.  I believe it is close enough to fall that we can get away with it.  We are babying a couple very old trees and have to be careful.

I have some salmon for the grill to round out the day.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

tetsujin209: I really have no temp limits for running shirtless. Typically it is > 50F. I challenge myself with lower temps by trying to run at least one shirtless run a month. Winter months are usually on warmer days or just a 0.5-1 mile cool down or sprint. I've scared a few neighbors doing a loop around the block a few times in the snow just to get the sans shirt run in. 😂

Tramps: I live in Bucks County, PA but we own a vacation home in North Cape May. House is less than a 0.5 miles from the bay. So it's nice to run along bay and near the ferry .  Spring to fall we spend more time but winters we visit 1-2 days a month to check on house.

Coastwalker: safe trip home

Heading to beach with DW again one last time this weekend before heading home.

Good running all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

well, running fast is a no-no. I can barely walk this morning. It'll loosen up (the plantar) as the day goes on, but it's not a surprise. However, I was hoping for a surprise, a pleasant one. 3 weeks out from track meet, so I think I'll forget all about "testing" my speed and just do short, slow jogs every 2-3 days until then, and a few days of nothing before. The faster stuff I did yesterday was at moderate effort, not race effort, so I'll probably have ok, but not good times.

Shirtless Joe, I commend you. I wear as few clothes as possible when possible; just socks and shorts. Tet has us beat because sans socks AND shoes!

everyone seems to sleep in on Sundays now, even Jay the nightstalker.

Karen, I missed the birthday; happy belated birthday!

Tramps, I'd suggest tearing the thing down, sorting out reusable lumber, and building a new pole barn. I don't know the regulations in your area, but usually ag buildings under a certain size don't need a permit. Pole buildings are greta because you don't need to mess with cement. I'd put a floor in it, though, with maybe 18" clearance underneath in case you need to crawl under there to run wire, pipe, or anything. Make a nice covered farmhouse porch in front, with double doors, and you'll be hanging out there with all your gear instead of in the house!

Henry, you can do it. Just maybe not as fast as you'd like. Think of it as a walk in the park, with jogging just being a bonus.

Deez, get well soon!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Tramps my limited experience makes me think Surly Bill  might be right, that just tear it down is the best option. Anytime I or somebody I know has tried to save a structure with a major rebuild, it has turned out to be way more costly than starting from scratch.

Speaking of old barns and regulations, there is what looks like an interesting battle of wills near my house. There is an old barn that the town will not issue a permit to tear down. The idea being it is "historic." Well, the owners are like fine. Then you take care of it. Which, of course, the town is not going to do. There are two parts to the barn, one has nearly collapsed, the other . . . give it time. Neither have windows. The roofs are not all there. If you are an artist I am sure they would make an interesting subject. But, I would just let them tear them down at this point.

Nice morning for a run today and I went out and did six this morning. I forgot to turn my Garmin on for the first mile, so I guess I only really did five.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good afternoon Masters, I had a decent run with an interesting group of runners from RR. I led them through a training run for distance for those about to run a HM in the next couple of weeks. We ran in 2 groups, I led the quicker group of the two, and we managed an 8'30" - 8'45" pace for most of the run. WE did not manage a negative split but  a few were recent additions to running so all in all it was a valiant effort. I enjoyed myself as the conditions were cool but nice, little wind and we ran some fabulous trails through Whittier parc. Now I will prepare the things I need as we are having guests over for a BBQ on a beautiful sunny Sunday 68 F. Have a great Sunday all!

Good run, Sub, and enjoy the cook out!

Thanks, all, for timely AND belated birthday wishes!  I'll be 71 for another year, so no problem!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

Stumpy, Let me know when you're ready and I'll do that marathon with you!

Deez, sorry you are sick. Once I get through this week of training, I will start finalizing my plans for the race. I am (finally) starting to feel optimistic. 

Jay, sorry you can't make it. Hopefully we will meet another day.

A few days ago I got an email from the Paris Olympics marathon just to let me know that I am still on their list of winners, and I should start making plans to pick up my bib next August. In the meantime, they sent a video of the course. Looks pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCLmbGHMv-0

5.1 for me this morning, then  3+ hours in the car for the ride back to CT. It was nice to get away, but even nicer to come home.

TammyinGP

Hi All!

yesterday's wildfire smoke that drifted in caused the AQI to be too poor to run in, so had to kibosh the run and decided to can corn instead. That was my Sunday project assuming I had been able to do my long run yesterday. I think I canned about 14 pints of corn.

thankfully, the smoke was mostly gone this morning, still a bit hazy, but not too bad, so I got in a 17.5 mile run in a little over 3 hrs.

soon we'll head over to my parents for a Sunday family dinner. My brother is back after his 3 week road trip and I believe his plans are to move to Colorado. Guess we'll find out tonight what he decided to do on his road trip through the west and mid west states and where he wants to plant his feet.

Tammy