Masters Running

Monday, February 15 President's Day Runs (Read 398 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika – nice fast finish LR!

Wildchild – what Walt said...

{{{Walt}}}

Sue – your cake looks delicious!

X-training day:  I started with some stretches and planks, then lateral raises, shoulder presses, bent rows, leg lifts with ankle weights, face-up and face down, glute raises, dumbbell curls, Mariposai’s butterfly crunches, and 46 push-ups, followed by 2 recovery miles on the TM @ (10:54, 10:42).  Legs felt extremely tired and stiff at the start, but pleasantly loosened up by the end.

A note about yesterday’s LR:  I took Leslie’s advice and used Kinesio tape, individually wrapping my two middle toes and pinky toe on each foot before the run.  Not only did I not get the blisters under my toenails that I often get on 20-milers, the toes were not even tender at all.  From now on, if I am running 18+ miles, I will wrap my toes this way.  Thanks, Leslie!

Btw – I did do my push-ups over the weekend, 44 on Saturday and 45 on Sunday, but forgot to mention them.

DH and the kids get the day off, but here I am at work again (but grateful to have a job, I tell ya).  DH did a little dance while I was getting ready for work, singing, “I love working for the Coun-ty.”  I told him that his habit of gloating was very unattractive.

Just as well the kids are out of school, with another 5-8” of snow due before day’s end here.  Very unusual to have 3 snowstorms in 10 days. 

Only 2 more weeks till March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice weekly mileage PR Holly!

I decided to sleep in this morning rather than get up for a short recovery run.  I was quite tired and felt the extra sleep would do me more good than a little run.

Yesterday was a spectacular day.  There was an Inter-faith Musical gathering yesterday in a local Jewish temple.  There was the Temple's Choir of course, and then 4 other Christian Choirs including ours.  The Temple is huge, holding well over 1500 people in the main hall.  It was nearly full.

Our first number was "Let There Be Praise" performed by the Praise Team - an Octet of 4 men (including me) and 4 women that leads our Contemporary Service every Sunday.  After that piece, the rest of our Choir joined in for two more songs.  Our Choir is spectacular as I've mentioned a few times and we brought down the house with our numbers - most especially a roof-raising rendition of "Battle Hymn of the Republic".

I have a batch of Spicy Turkey Chili cooking in the Slow Cooker.  If this thing is as good as I think it will be, I'll be posting it in the Slow Cooker thread tomorrow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Thanks, Holly!  Glad to hear the kinesio tape works so well for toenails.  I have a black one that is about to slough, and I'd like to avoid it again if at all possible. This might do the trick.  Sorry about another snowstorm - won't be long and we'll all be complaining about the heat and humidity (which I would welcome at this point).

Carolyn - The New Orleans tradition of a baby in the cake is attributed to the early French and Spanish settlers.  The baby represents the Christ Child.  The "trinket" in the cake is usually plastic now, but beans, ceramic babies and other various items have been baked into the cake. 

72 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  I've discovered I have to keep the incline fairly steep to keep the weight on my heel and balls of my left foot. When I drop below the 10 setting on incline, I start putting weight on the outside of my foot, and the pain flares after a long workout.  No pain after the workout this morning. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Runners,

IRC this morning 54F, sunny and no wind. I did a 3 mile recovery run at an easy 10:30/mi pace. Also did 46 pushups and ab work. Like Holly, I too forgot to mention pushups over the weekend.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Tramps

Carolyn--I loved your snow description yesterday.

EZPZ dead-leg 5-mile RAL + core work.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Holly, I'm at work today, too. I can't remember if state employees have the day off, but we don't here at the university. Kids are off school today and tomorrow but it's Parent-Teacher Conferences on the schedule so the teachers are at work.

Sounds like a wonderful day at the Temple, Byll. What a crowd, too! Will be interested to hear how the chili works out.

SteveP, you've been putting in some impressive miles lately! What's your next race coming up?

No run for me today, but maybe a "recovery pool run" after work. Seems a shame to waste such an awesome day... it was 20° this morning and could get up to 40° today! Sorry to hear of more snow storms headed for some of you. I think I heard that parts of MD (where WRFB and PDR live) got more snow in 10 days than we got all year! Feast or Famine, I guess.

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger - do they ever make recordings of your singing?  It would be great if you could post one on youtube.  BTW, how's your DW?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, one of these days I'm going to get a recording.  But I don't have one now.

Holly, thanks for asking about DW (also everyone else who's asked too).  She's been feeling a little better.  We don't think it's her back this time like it usually would be.  It's more in her upper butt area.  She tried walking this morning - got out about a mile and it started hurting so she turned back.  I hope that didn't set anything back.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Congratulations Tramps and Holly S. on yesterday's 20 milers!

DW continues to run in her quest to get ready for her HM.  She went out yesterday and today in the arctic cold out here!

While I cannot report running I can report on V.D. dinner!  With Valentine's falling on a Sunday few of the local restaurants were open so I made dinner.  A really good one if I do say so myself!   Heck my arm is still in a sling from getting sprained yesterday patting myself on the back.  I bought a really good steak and made it with a balsamic marinade.  But the best part was that I decided to finally open one of those bottles of wine you keep for a "special occasion" that never seems to arrive.  Well it was phenomenal!  Add to all that this whole dinner cost way less than a local "fancy" (such as we have) restaurant and I was one happy puppy kitten!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Nice job, Twocat! We did that, too. But then, DH invited his mom and her manfriend, so we put the special bottle away again and brought out some more run-of-the-mill cabernet. We grilled leg of lamb on the charcoal grill that had been marinating all day, and served with garlic mashed potatoes (still from my garden), grilled asparagus and salad. Also had roasted garlic (in the spuds and extra for the lamb) and carmelized sweet onions to send it over the top. Figure this dinner would've been well over $200 for all of it at a restaurant, cost us maybe $40 with everything.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hello folks!

I did my own version of the biathlon yesteray.   Ran 4 miles, then I let DH take me out for breakfast and then to the gun club for 2 rounds of skeet shooting.   I just felt the need - and I knew he'd enjoy it too.    I don't think I've shot a gun for at least 2+ years.    Then I made shrimp scampi during the rained out portion of the Daytona 500.   Someone has his priorities ..... 

I did a few pushups and situps yesterday until I felt a slight ache in my back.    Trying to build the strength back up. 

Rest day today - but I fully intend to run in the a.m.   I'm going to tell DH to kick me out the door.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mary.. as I was watching Biathlon yesterday I was thinking, how about a Bimarathon. 20,000 gun shooting runners!

2 Magical B-Day Miles with Tory and Sadie, 20 min spinning and 2x23 pushups.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

What's wrong with this picture: I do work for the county and I am in the office today--we're open, altho the courts aren't (they're state).  Go figure.

Took a few rest days but got in a run of the mill 10 miler.  I'll start adding on miles soon--just seemed like it made sense to take it easy for 2 weeks after the Miami 26 miler.  It is very hard to read about your veddy strong long runs and stick with my plan, however....and the you all are gourmet cooks!  I feel so minor leaguey.

D. and I had an interesting weekend.  We decided we would try and learn Spanish, so we got some CDs and DVDs from the library (our library also has a free program on it's website, called "Mango," that has interactive lessons for an array of languages.    It's really fun.

Puedo hablo espanol un poco ahora.  En la restaurante, puedo preguntar por cafe, aqua de mineral, vino blanco and pan. O, and la cuenta.  Tengo algo hambre, pero no grande hambre, es muy, no?   No saber mucho, pero saber mi coche es pequeno y viehjo, que lastima.  Buenas tardes o buenas noches costa este amigos.

sonrisas,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Maniac 505

Holly (Or Leslie)  tell me more about taping your toes,  I missed the original post and a quick look didn't find it.  That sounds like something that I could use.  do you just do a single layer around those toes?

Aamos,  I had two years of manditory Spanish in high school.  Hola Amigo is about all I remember.

moderate effort 5 miles for me,  Today is my Friday YEAH

wildchild

Carolyn

Hola amigos! 

I kinda played hooky today.   I do feel a little bit like I'm coming down with a cold, but nothing major, so I used that as an excuse to stay home.  I'm not busy at work, so I emailed the project managers and said if they had anything for me to do, email it to me, otherwise I'd take a sick day.   One guy sent me one question that took about 2 minutes to answer,so I had the day off.  DD had the day off  from school, so we watched some Olympics and took the dogs for a walk in the snow.

Bill, your choir sounds like fun. How was the spicy turkey chili?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.