Masters Running

First Saturday run of 2010 (Read 471 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Harriet, so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear-old-dad.  I know he will be missed.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Manchild

Nearly 5 miles on snow covered trails.  Nothing like running on freshly fallen snow!

So sorry to hear of Harriet's father's passing...I have been lurking on the site and will always feel some kind of bond with this group of runners...

Now to football!!!

Chris

I'm filing today's run under the heading:  you never know who you affect or how you affect them by simply doing what you do.

With temps in the high 20s and winds sustained in the 20s as well, gusts approaching 50, and the wind chill at 15, I so wanted to limit today's exercise to the bike trainer.  Listening to all of you folks where it's really cold, though, made me feel like a bit of a wimp (please, don't stop sharing how you laugh at wind and cold, I find guilt to be a most effective motivator!), so I headed out for what I hoped would be at least 5 miles.

I was managing the cold and wind OK, although my legs were fairly dead from yesterday's 5K.  Was still trucking along when stomach distress hit.  Between that and lingering congestion from a sinus infection, I ran up the white flag and surrendered to the elements, both outside and in my body, after 2 miles of running and 1 of walking.

I wasn't beating myself up too badly - I'm pretty proud of myself for actually getting out there on a day that would have definitely kept me inside just last winter - when one of my neighbors stopped me as I walked back to my condo.  My relationship with the others on my little courtyard is basically to wave and say hello, and not much more.  I know this guy to see, but not much more.  He asked my name, introduced himself, and told me what an inspiration I am to him when he sees me out running all of the time.  I was literally blown away in a way that 50 mph gusts never could have done.  He's younger than me and much fitter-looking.  I've seen him walking and running a few times in the nice weather, and I'm positive he'd blow me away in a race even without really training.  To think that I could inspire him was just mind-boggling and humbling.  Suddenly those 2 miles seemed like a pretty big deal.  

And I went public with him and another woman that I passed earlier with the fact that I'm training for a marathon in May.  The more I keep telling people, the more I guess I'm going to hafta actually do it.  Eeeekkkkkk!  

Enjoying the gift,

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Thank you everyone.  I told dad the day before he died that I talked about him with my online running buddies and that I called him "Dear-old-Dad" on the forums.  He liked that. because he used to use that name for himself when I was little.

He got a chance to meet NJ last week and we have some photos of the two of them together which are, of course, now priceless.  I suppose it is a huge coincidence that he died just a couple days after meeting this dear sweet child...but maybe not.

He accepted his illness and disability with so much grace.   I still can't figure out how he stayed so optimistic.  Two days before he died he was in pretty bad shape, and he told the therapists that he wanted to get up and try to walk because he had to build up the strength in his legs.

If interested, here's his deal:

Arthur J Langlois

My running is not much of a priority right now.  I'm awfully busy making arrangements, hosting incoming family, etc. Sadly, I'm going to have more time on the weekends now for training.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

PDR and WRFB, my condolences to you and your entire family on the passing of your father.  There's been a lot of racing the last couple of days: hopeful (3 min better than last year), Walt (3 min PR), tet (and with a polar bear plunge), franc (50K - wow), eliz, Sarge (with DW), and WoodsLady.  breger, nice pictures of your family.  eliz, it's neat you are now a running inspiration in addition to being a musical inspiration.

Nice long runs for Tramps, BC, and jlynne (on TM).

This morning, I did a 5K race.  When I woke up, the temp was 10°.  By the time I left home it was 7°.  When I arrived at the race site it was 4°.  At the start (and finish) of the race it was 5°.  There was also a strong wind.  Fortunately, the roads were clear.  I had expected them to be ice covered.  This is the second winter race in a 4 race series.  I started with a mile warmup in 9:07 which convinced me to change my gloves for mittens and leave on all the clothes I had.  The race took me about 27:30 for about an 8:54 pace.  I was 2/4 in my AG (60-69) (a young 60 year old whippersnapper who wasn't there last month took 1st).  I haven't seen the posting of the race results yet but expect I finished  close to last months 31/48 OA.  I saw a number of my equally crazy buddies and lead my AG (barely) for the series AG award.  When I got home, I did 2 miles on the TM at a 9:50 pace to get 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I don't think I could race in those temps, Tom. Nice going.

What a nice obit for your Father, PDR. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. It sounds like he had a full life and a lot of friends and family.

No run today...shoveled snow instead. Walt.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Harriet: Sorry to hear about your Dad. You will be in my prayers today. I glad you had such a wonderful relationship with your Dad, not everyone has that blessing. Thanks for sharing the newspaper article about him with us. As an old Navy man myself, I love to read stories about that "greatest generation" who served during WW2. Thank you for your father's service to our country.

Eliz: I hear the same thing from younger runners who I know can easily beat me in races and it blows me away too. But at the same time it helps to keep me going each day. I too have made public both here online and to my running group that I am going to run a marathon this year. I guess we have to do it now. It is my first one in thirty years! We will have to keep each other motivated through the year. My race is in May as well.

Charlie: As you may remember, I lived in Oklahoma for about 6 yrs. (El Reno) so I have been happy to see both OU and OSU in bowl games. OU did pretty good against Stanford. Hope OSU can come back in the second half. I just saw Thurman Thomas on at half-time, he looks pretty good.

5.2 mi recovery run for me this morning in 52:32 (10:07/mi). Felt pretty good after my long run yesterday. IRC 57 and no wind.

Have a great evening everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez4boyz – nice running yesterday, and lots of cool swag, too!

Eliz – you, too – and how cool to have a student catch you running – you inspired in a new way - as well as your neighbor!  You are right that we can have more of an impact than we know.

Woods Lady – nice running – braving heavy wind to run a 5K!

{{{PDR and family}}}  Harriet – my condolences on your loss.

18 mile LR today to as I officially enter marathon training.  It was 12° (feels like 1°) when I set out in my numerous layers.  Wimpy me, I only did 8 miles outside (ave 10:09) before opting to do the next 10 miles on the TM (at 10:00) watching the rest of Doom.  It did cross my mind that Erika would have been tougher, but then I thought, “Hey, that’s why I HAVE a TM in the first place.”

DH and I survived another household project today (installation of an exhaust fan in our bathroom), and now it's time to begin dismantling the Christmas tree. 

SteveP - when are we going to hear the whole story?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Harriet and Lou, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.  I love it that you told him that we 'knew' him too...   and especially that he got to meet Baby Nate.  It says so much about him that he dealt with his illness like he did; it's a tough one.  It also says a lot about you both that you stayed so close and were such a support to him.  Thanks for the stories you've told.

I do have 2 runs to report... yesterday was 5.5 on the TM at a 'borrowed' gym... I really could have run outside.  Was gun shy after the last two attempts were so slippery.   I think it was 30F. 

Then of course today (well, I did hear the path by the river was clear) I had to plan 16 outside.  Ha.  (Tet did you cause our weather?)   I have no whining rights because of Erika (love you anyway)  but it was 10 or 11 when I started, (12 last time I looked, don't think it warmed up much)  & 16 mph winds with just a little gusting.  Not bad headed east but west was straight into it.   It would have been a good day for a Henrun run.  Anyway.. 10.08 miles, 10:16 average pace not counting water stops.  One of those I got water out of the sink, bent over & used it like a drinking fountain.   Got my balaclava & neck warmer wet.  Stoopid.  so then I wadded up paper towels & tucked them in there so they'd stay away from my skin.   Don't you wish you could run with me?  hee. 

I need to do some adjusting obviously, am not quite sure what.  My hands were cold even with handwarmers in my gloves.  And my core was cold, just was chilled clear through... that's really why I stopped, besides my frozen nose. 

Nice 5K TomS.   Wow, you were even colder than I was! 

Yep, SteveP.   you know you'll have to tell this one.   Hope you're out of the doghouse.  It is too cold for that right now.  unless you have lots of straw.    Thanks for your nice comments the other day.   Any new snowy adventures with Tag?

Eliz, that is very cool.  

Woods lady, congrats on starting out the new year with a 5K.  

PDR my condolences to you and your family.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

I'm filing today's run under the heading:  you never know who you affect or how you affect them by simply doing what you do.

With temps in the high 20s and winds sustained in the 20s as well, gusts approaching 50, and the wind chill at 15, I so wanted to limit today's exercise to the bike trainer.  Listening to all of you folks where it's really cold, though, made me feel like a bit of a wimp (please, don't stop sharing how you laugh at wind and cold, I find guilt to be a most effective motivator!), so I headed out for what I hoped would be at least 5 miles.

I was managing the cold and wind OK, although my legs were fairly dead from yesterday's 5K.  Was still trucking along when stomach distress hit.  Between that and lingering congestion from a sinus infection, I ran up the white flag and surrendered to the elements, both outside and in my body, after 2 miles of running and 1 of walking.

I wasn't beating myself up too badly - I'm pretty proud of myself for actually getting out there on a day that would have definitely kept me inside just last winter - when one of my neighbors stopped me as I walked back to my condo.  My relationship with the others on my little courtyard is basically to wave and say hello, and not much more.  I know this guy to see, but not much more.  He asked my name, introduced himself, and told me what an inspiration I am to him when he sees me out running all of the time.  I was literally blown away in a way that 50 mph gusts never could have done.  He's younger than me and much fitter-looking.  I've seen him walking and running a few times in the nice weather, and I'm positive he'd blow me away in a race even without really training.  To think that I could inspire him was just mind-boggling and humbling.  Suddenly those 2 miles seemed like a pretty big deal.  

And I went public with him and another woman that I passed earlier with the fact that I'm training for a marathon in May.  The more I keep telling people, the more I guess I'm going to hafta actually do it.  Eeeekkkkkk!  

Enjoying the gift,

Eliz

Thanks for posting this Eliz, your posting was a huge inspiration to me and congrats for "going public Smile"

Hi charleygross, it is good to see you here.

dg, I would love to run with you someday. Great job on that 10 miler today. I think I would have gone a-la-henrun on that weather.

fussyrunner, 3 hours of ex. wow...you are one dedicated fitness guru. How are you liking your zumba. It is really fun, isn't it?

Walt, congrats in that great race you had yesterday. Way to go man.

My goal in 2010 is to taste that famous banana-chip muffin Smile

I need to follow Tramps' example with that holiday detox.

Great 12 miles on the dreadmill Jlynne.

Rest day for my wings. I purposely dedicated this day as a rest day since I knew that we had to go to the airport to drop off my cousin and pick up our DS. I think I am going to pick up a movie from tramp's list and watch it tonight.

I was all teary eyed when I read Harriet father's obituary. What a great man he was. I felt like thru the years I have known this man thanks to PDR's postings about him.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy New Year, Everyone!

PDR - So sorry to hear about your Dad.  What a wonderful relationship you had with him, though, which is a blessing many people miss.  I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Tom - Nice job on the race!  I think you were brave to just walk out of the house in those temps.  Never been in them, and don't want to be!

Mary - You did the New Years Day race!  Good for you!

Eliz - That's very cool about the neighbor.  You go, girl!

Twocat - Tim Tams - only the best cookie ever invented by man or woman.

And this says it all:

It's quite unfortunate I found these at  Winco.  Could be my total and complete demise.

22 trail miles today, with the first 17 total agony for Karen.  For once it was she who made the HUGE mistake and not me.  And yes, I've taken a bit of glee from the situation . . . and she knows it.   She did a hard strength training on Thurs, ran her 10 miles yesterday instead of tomorrow AND didn't refuel well yesterday, and was totally dying toward the end of the 17.  She gutted those out though, which made me quite proud of the ole gal.   Needless to say, the first 17 took a bit of time, and I ended up completing the whole 22 in 5:59:49.  Yes, UNDER 6 hrs.  Barely under, but I'm taking it.

When her sister was here at Christmas, she taught Karen a new way of climbing hills when walking.  It seems like it's going to help take a lot of strain off the calves, which is going to be very nice.  I do think, however, that I slightly strained a muscle in the bottom of my foot, so it's off to ice, ice, baby.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I enjoy all the posts here and yet I have to say that Eliz's post made me grin and grin. You Rock! Inspiration shows up in many different ways and I can totally understand that you inspire many. I am so glad someone made that admiration public Eliz.

PDR----you describe your father's grace and courage beautifully. My deep sympathies and condolences to you, WRFB and your family. You have been graceful and strong as well as you cared for your Dear Old Dad and saw him though some tough struggles in these last years. I hope all the great memories sustain you in low moments and that you'll have a chance to breathe in the near future.

Walt! Way to go with that zippy nerdy sock PR. Dude! I don't think that PR will last for long at all.

One of the running Js saw a Fat Ass 50k on a local races/run listing in September and persuaded me to join her today in North Adams, MA (blizzard land of the Berkshires or at least it felt that way). Well, in the end she couldn't go, but I decided to start the new year with a challenge and convinced Mr. CNYrunner and the kiddo to come with me. I didn't make the full 50k distance----meted out in 5.2 mile laps along Route 8. I covered 26 miles or 5 laps and was the only one who made it that far. 15 runners total and 5 who planned to run the full distance. Plans change on runs like this---laid back with a self check-in chart at the end of each lap. I'll post the results once they show up on the WMAC.org site. The wind was fierce and the snow was blowing the entire time. By the time I neared the end of the 5th lap I was arguing with my self and sane Karin prevailed and said: Hey, that's the Subaru up ahead at the sign-in table and there are heated seats in there....what do you say self? There's warmth and wait....that's the kiddo holding up a cup of coffee and a bag of Sun Chips. So, not quite a full fat ass, but a good 26 mile training run and some new friends along the way.

If I ever run a full 50k it will be in nice weather that doesn't require fleece, goretex, a gross of Kleenex and de-iceing in anyway.

Holly you are no wimp! Nice run and yes, we have been watching the Dr. Who specials---watching right now in fact. On to Dr. 11 soon!. We DVRed most of yesterday's marathon too. It's weird to hear David Tennant speak out of character. Dr. Who is British and yet the actor is Scottish and his distinctive brogue makes me look twice at the TV screen. He's my actor crush for now.

MTA: Leslie....they have Tim Tams at Costco or at amazon.com.....they look way too good!

SteveP

I'm sorry to hear about your loss PDR and WRFB. He sounds like a good man. Your family is in our prayers.

Breger...I forgot to plug the slow cooker in before I left for the day. DD#3 called and I took a good natured ribbing. When DW and I finally got home, the slow cooker was still unplug, but the griddle was hot. A great man once said, "Doh!"

We're eagerly waiting your marathon Eliz!!. It's kewl that you are an insperation to a neighbor.

As tough as Erika is, Holly, you're right up there.

A lot of us would love to run with you DG

Steve, I think we really need to hear the "first date" story. Will you share?

DW and I had worked together and worked out together at the gym. A local observatory had opened it's doors to the public and I asked if she wanted to go. She accepted quickly and said her(4) kids would probably enjoy it. "Gulp". Kids on a first date!! Huston, we have a problem. To help mask my terror, I picked up a set of "Hillbilly" false teeth. The Mrs.P to be lead the way. She had no idea that I had them. The false teeth were making me drool down my chin. When ever the kids(I counted 6) looked back at me, I'd smile and guffaw....Sometimes I snorked, but I couldn't talk with the teeth in.  If a kid talked to me, I'd smile, guffaw and drool. After, we went out for ice cream. When the waitress took our order, I finally took the teeth out, placed my order and then talked with the kids. The kids thought they were my real teeth and I was all deranged or something.Four years later we were married. Those who have felt sorry for Mrs.P, she knew what she was getting into. I was the one in the Batman shirt.

SteveP

SteveP

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance