Masters Running

Monday, March 15 Runs and Not-So-Runs (Read 501 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie – I am in awe of your 25+18 weekend.  Wow!

Mariposai – I love naan!  Heck-of-a running week you had last week - well done!

2 slow and gentle miles (10:54) on the TM, just enough to help loosen up my stiff and tired legs, followed by dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, lateral raises, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, stability ball crunches, 4 chin-ups and 74 push-ups (25+25+24).

Yesterday the river was higher than I have ever seen it, and I had to detour several times off the river trail where it was flooded.  The churning water was beautiful to see, and the ducks and geese were having a lovely time in it, oblivious to the rain, but I was dismayed to see the widespread litter of trash at the water’s edge, mostly plastic cups and beverage bottles.    I hate litter bugs.  Why is it so hard to find a trash can?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly and everyone else.  Just got off work this morning, it it real hard to go back to work after a month off and I am beat.  Will do three easy miles when it warms up this afternoon.  I did go lift some weights this morning but just enough to get a good burn,it has also been over 6 months since  did any lifting so it does not take much to get sore. 

HOLLY what river  are you talking about?  Perrysburg area?

Have a nice day all and run well

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

There were some very impressive long runs over the weekend - especially Leslie!  wow!

I got in 4 miles before the rain Saturday and 6 yesterday.   The only thing impressive about those runs is the fact that I ran the whole time.

Saturday I went to the mall with my sister and wehn we left, it was very wind out so I held the door tight so it didn't bang into the car next to us.   Well, it did "bump" it, but very lightly.   The woman that owned the car was coming out of the mall and she started screaming at me!   She was just the most miserable woman I've ever come across!   She came right up to the window and called me an inconsiderate bitch and threatened to key my sisters vehicle..... and NOTHING happened to her car!     Wow - we had to giggle as we drove away - she was one very unhappy person.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Some minor flooding going on here too. The melting snow from the Northern States.

No runs to report this morning. It's going to be 60 and mostly sunny so my plans are to show off these white legs and RAW.

After yesterdays run I'm really considering changing my Green Bay entry from the Half to the Full. There's a few Family functions and Easter weeked between now and then but I think I could pull it off.  I'm going to train like I am doing the full but I'm not going to fret about it if I can't manage my long runs over the busy weekends.

Leslie.....I am in jaw dropping awe of your back to back long runs too.....Man...you rock ! Or I mean to say....Gal...You friggin ROCK !

Morning, gang!

Holly - nice recovery run and weight work to kick off the list.   Ditto your litter bug comment - I routinely pick up others trash and wonder the same thing.

Derrick - hope you aren't too sore after the weight lifting!

Denise - nice to know I was in such good company yesterday - the rest felt good, huh??

dg - when I was making my oatmeal yesterday, I did try a bite right out of the box.  Must be an acquired taste ;-).

Mary-  congrats on running the whole time for both runs - exellent!!  Sorry about the hateful bitch - she probably didn't even notice that there wasn't a scratch on her car - hope she was embarrassed when she realized there was no damage. 

5.7 miles on the TM this morning - 4 @ 11:00/mile pace.  If I don't blow away, I'll do an hour of weights and core for lunch today. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

HOLLY what river  are you talking about?  Perrysburg area?

It's the Great Miami River, south of Dayton.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning. Quick check-in. Hope you're all doing great. I am one with my wet vac this morning. Basement is flooding. 2nd time in 10 years that has happened (I live on a hill). Over 5" of rain will do that. It's only a inch of water in spots and am just keeping up with it until I handoff to DW when I head to the airport. The street flooding is ridiculous around here. Feet of water everywhere. School was delayed 2 hours and it was an adventure getting the kids there.

Well, day 8 of no running. Charity team trainer said take another week off and try 8 miles Saturday. At least the cold and cough has abated and I can cross-train again. Might try a light jog later this week and see how the old tibialis tendinitis is doing. I'll decide whether to run Boston or not on 4/18.

Hi everyone.  I've missed y'all.

I'm back from Breck but not yet in the (running) swing of things.  I overslept this morning and had to scramble just to get to work.  I need to get kicking with the training again or Boston is going to be ugly.

I got in a few minor runs last week - most notably a terribly hard 3 miler at 10,000 feet altitude up and down the mountains.  This was probably the hardest 25 minute run I ever had.  I was dieing at the end.  All the other runs I did last week were on the treadmill since the roads got snow covered.

The skiing was amazing.  Skied hard 5 out of 6 days.  Perfect snow and not too cold nor windy.  I got some new, shorter 177cm. skis and have never skied better.  So much easier to turn vs. my old 190's.  It was a blast skiing with DS and his GF.  DS has really grown into his 6'5" 21 year old body and was skiing like a pro.  His GF was a "never-ever" skier but she took a lesson, did great, and had a blast.  She can't wait to ski again.  She had never even seen snow before and when I asked her how she liked snow she answered:  "Snow is really cool but the cold sucks." 

DD2 and her family were up there also and that was a blast.  She has 2 little ones so she only really got to experience the mountain (on something other than beginner slopes) for one morning.  But I finally got her out there with me (without the little ones) on Friday morning.  Since DW and I go to Breck most every year I know every inch of the mountain (there are four distinct peaks) and I took DD2 everywhere and she had a blast.

There is a T-bar that goes up to the top of the mountain (expert terrain only).  I've only been brave enough to go up there once, several years ago, taking a run off on the right side of the T-bar that I remember making it down, but it wasn't pretty.

Well, on this Friday morning with DD2, looking up, we could see that that run was groomed.  So DD2 talked me into going up the T-bar again.  I reluctantly agreed (I'm a cautious skier.)  We made our way to the top, looked off to the right and saw that it was roped off with a sign that said "Closed for Avalanche Control".  Uh oh.

We look to the left, which is open.  Now we're in trouble.  All we see are Double Black Diamond signs and other skiers disappearing over the crest of the hills never to be seen again.  We're decent skiers but not at that level.  I ask a guy "What's the easiest way down".  He thinks for a minute and tells us to "stay on the trail and he thinks it winds around and isn't too bad".  Gulp.

Fortunately he was right.  It was a Blue-Black trail that we could handle nicely.  It was actually pretty fun so next year my regular ski partner and I will be up there a lot.  But that was five minutes of terror which I'm blaming entirely on DD2.

The only bad part of the week was that DD2's husband got a bad case of high-altitude sickness and never really left the hotel room, other than to get more O2.  We all bailed a day early to get him back to sea level.  Missed meeting Carolyn because of that.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Bill, welcome back!  Sorry you left early and I didn't get to meet you, but it sounds like you and your family enjoyed your trip (except DD's husband).   If you ran 3 miles in 25 minutes at  altitude you were doing fine -  I can't run that fast in the flatlands!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Good Morning. Glad to see today's thread is the correct month. I was confoozled. .  loved seeing the pic in yesterday's thread of the St. Patty's Day run in Seattle. That was my first ever race. I had just started running 3 wks prior to the 5K and had worked my way up to 2 miles on the TM before running that one. I had no intentions of being able to run the whole thing without stopped, but I did it and had a blast! That is one FUN race!

Today will be a rest day for me after my long run on Saturday and my recovery run yesterday. Feeling good today and we are in for a nice warm day, but going to rest anyways. I have a sports massage scheduled for tomorrow on my legs during my lunch hour. Normally I run on Tuesdays after work, but not sure I should after a leg massage?

Tammy

Henrun

After 2 days of no running for we wimps due to the 'monsoon' we finally braved it dressed in as much goretex as we had. We both did 40 minutes and escaped cabin fever. They promise that sun and warmth are coming tomorrow (think 'Annie'). We can hardly wait.                                

Welcome back Byll-sounds like you had a great time at Breck.

dg.

hi everyone!

Can I plead a snoring induced (not mine!) coma?    I read part of the daily earlier but was too tired to put together a reply.   Especially after reading about your weekend runs.   oh my. 

Now I just have a minute but wanted to pop in.  

Sue I cannot believe you did 3 hours!!!   How are you today?  Sorry if you already said.   Thanks... my 10 was probably a little more than I should have done for my butt, but my head needed it & it's ok.    .... if you keep trying that oatmeal on a regular basis you'll be a convert in no time.   ;-)

Slo_hand, I was thinking about you Sat. am as I spilled oatmeal all over myself.  well, it was just a little.  it also goes well with morning coffee.   and red wine isn't bad.      but beer sounds good.  Wink

Denise how cool you got in that race!

I had an ekg this morning and the results included biatrial enlargement.   Does anyone know how likely that is to be running related?  There were studies that did show that, but I don't know how much you'd need to run to have those kinds of changes.

which reminds me... Derrick.  i'm glad you're back at work but sorry it was tough!   I'm having a similar procedure next Monday.  Do you have any advice?  I don't know what to expect afterward; I keep reading conflicting information, & I want to have some kind of idea of how to prepare.   I even got conflicting info from my Dr. office.

Erika are your eyes ok??  Will you quit doing that?????????

6.4 miles this morning at the gym, a 9:44 pace, weight machines & stab. ball hammie curls & side planks.

ok, gotta go.

Thanks for the kudos re my weekend.  I tell ya, I don't know how people train for 100 milers.  I feel like I'm eating, breathing, sleeping running for 50 and am definitely ready for it be over.  So a 100-miler?? Ugh!

Erika - Your pace on hilly terrain amazes me.  The frozen pony tail - too funny!

Nancy - You always make the most delicious sounding food!  Re the marathon - I need to put it on my To Do List.  I emailed the info to my friend.  Don't know if she'll take advantage of it at any point.

Holly - How's the butt feeling?  All the trash on the river bank - probably more accumulation because of the higher levels, all the rain, etc.  It is unfortunate, though.  Don't know why people think the earth is their personal garbage can.

Rest day for me, and I sure could use a nap right now.  But no rest for the wicked, right??

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi dg.

I have only heard of left ventricle enlargement or thickening as a result of too much running (athletic heart syndrome).  Not sure at all what your results mean.  Didn't they say anything?

There was nothing on my echo, but I do get sinus pauses and bradycardia from time to time which is part of athletic heart syndrome.

Byll your trip sounded great, minus the 5 minutes of terror.  Shoot, I can't breath the air above 5,000 ft so going for a run at 10,000 is really impressive.

As Tammy said, it is unseasonably warm on the west coast today, so although I am wiped out, I may go out for an easy 2 miles at the peak temp of 64 pretty soon.

ETA - did my little two miler, beautiful day

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Deb, eyes are ok I guess. We both (RP and I) had the blurry vision thing on the run, but got better once we got inside. The residual effect for me is a burning sensation, but not bad. I do think sunglasses help, if only because they serve as windbreaks and keep some warmer air by the eyes, but they fog up and slip and poke me in the head and uck. I've never liked sunglasses. Good thing I've never needed to wear glasses! But I'm overdue for a vision exam and should mention it when (if) I go.

Trash on the ground, in the water, in the trees, it all drives me nuts. I've stopped a run to make little piles of it, and gone back later with a bag and picked it up. I've also brought trash home to throw out... that really tickles the kids to no end, let me tell you. ("oh great, mom's dragging home garbage again!")

Incredible amount of rain and wind some of you have been getting! Here's hoping the basements dry out soon without too much residual damage. Sounds like some new flooring is in the future for some.

Welcome home, Byll! I'd missed that you were going somewhere, sounds like it was a good trip!

Gym workout at lunch with DH, but we're both feeling tired. I think it's the Spring Forward effect... 16 minutes on the elliptical (1.7 miles) and about 20 minutes of weights. Bleh.