Masters Running

Friday, 2.26.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Interesting discussions in the last few days, ranging from PB&J sandwiches (and the many variations thereon) to wet/dry wipes, the stresses of work, DD's missives to Tet, weather (as always), travels to and from, short and long runs and walks, and (unfortunately) lingering injuries and illnesses.

Speaking of weather, I took Wednesday and Thursday off because of it. We had torrential rains and wind and thunder boomers early Thursday morning that kept me inside. Thunder shook the house at 3:21 am, and I never saw the cat for the rest of the night...

5.1 RW miles this morning in 35F temps with stand-you-up-and-stop-you winds from the west, and with about a 3/4 moon high in the sky and peeking through the clouds as they flew by. Nice morning...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I set out to do 3-4 miles looping the neighborhood hills but in the end I logged 6.5 miles. It just felt good.

The Royal Blues, the High School Jazz Band plays at the River Music Experience in the Quad Cities (LINKY). Not only do I get to watch and listen my DD play...I get to enjoy a beer while I do!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay.

Yep, it's finally the 26th.

Fantastic finale day of x-training in order with GS and friends at the swimming pool over the lunch hour for open swimming from 11am - 1:15pm. They want to get there at 10:45 am and stay until we’re kicked out. Wish me luck. Afterwards, mostly watching down at the glacier as they run up-and-down the beach breaking up shoreline ice. Yippee.
        NEW ORLEANS - even if they are not there, not that it isn’t worth any excuse, no matter how feeble, are we be sure the posies aren’t just using the two-cats and maybe others in the vicinity as an excuse to spend the weekend in various NO culinary dives? I would.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

morning, all.  I got a rare daylight before work run this morning, as I had an 8:30 dentist appointment (to make up for the one I spaced on LAST Friday).  So 3.85 miles at 8:50 pace.  I may have pushed wearing shorts based on last night's forecast, as there was still some ice on the puddles, but it felt REALLY good.  I have serious doubts that I'll be able to maintain anything close to that pace for 3x the distance next week, but did I mention, it felt REALLY good?

to be our ROTC training grounds in the early sixties.

Sounds so long ago. Oh, it is. .

I find myself doing this for the 80's.  And it's slipping back into the 70's more than I might like.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

good morning friends!

Tet/Enke mentioning the Magnolia neighborhood and Discovery Park area sure makes me miss Seattle running. Wish I would have ran more when I lived up there. Only ran a bit less than 2 yrs in my early 30's before I quit. I enjoyed Discovery Park and of course, even just running on the Burke Gilman trail was always a favorite. I could bike it for 30+ miles or run for whatever distance I chose too - it was literally right out my back door.

I did manage to get in 3 consecutive days of running although none were very long - just a few miles each day as my time allowed. today will be a non-running day as I have a fundraiser after work for my nonprofit and will be gone til late evening.

Tammy

. . . it felt REALLY good.  I have serious doubts that I'll be able to maintain anything close to that pace for 3x the distance next week, but did I mention, it felt REALLY good?

Is it kind of a kick in the pants when it feels REALLY good??  I'm usually astounded when that happens.  

Tet - I have loved reading about your adventures with your family this last round.  Thank you for sharing.

5 feel good miles this a.m. in foggy conditions - which always messes with my asthma.  But I kept it slow and am working on form.  Amazing how much better running feels when using good form.  Who'da thunk! 

Have a run planned at Headwaters tomorrow with a few gals from the Humboldt Women Runners FB page.  This will be the first time I've run with anybody on there, except Heidi, who I've pulled over to the dark side.  I'm looking forward to it!

Last night had a really good talk with Coach.  I think we've mapped out a plan to keep me healthy and injury free, while getting me prepped for my 24 hr run in July, which is at the same place I did the mud run two weeks ago.  I've told Coach, so I'll say it here, as well:  My goal is 80 miles in the 24 hrs.  That'll be almost 5 full trips around the lake.  I haven't shared this with my buddy, Karen, yet, but I think I'm going to share it with her sister.  If anyone can help me reach my goal, it's Kate, so we'll see.

Enjoy your Friday, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Worked until about 10:00 and then went out for a run. 4.1 miles, 33°, cloudy.

I ran to the Post Office to mail a letter and then I explored around the Village of Barboursville a little bit.  It's a strange little town where streets wind around and then end.  It's stuck in between hills, railroad tracks, a river, and branches off the river. But there are a few routes that will get you from one side of town to the other and that is what I set off to find today. Luckily I was successful and didn't end up in the middle of nowhere. 

Just got done with a noon meeting.  I hate meetings, I really hate meetings on Friday, and I really, really hate meetings at lunchtime on Fridays. (Only thing worse is a late afternoon Friday meeting.)  And this meeting is with the people causing me so much work so it is a quadruple negative. But I survived.

Weather is calling for 67° and clear skies on Sunday. Sounds good.

Sayhey! MM#130

So good x 3, Kevs!

I ran 12 yesterday, too, Mike E, but in 2 batches!  And 6 this am.  Long sleeves last night and again this am!

Love Quad Cities.  That marathon should get more hype, as it's really lots of fun.  Love the school kids from the towns all along the course.

Agreed as to NO food, but then, 2cat and Posie are prolly some of the best cooks on this board.  They may be filing some discerning reviews for us to salivate over this weekend.

Enjoyed your explorings Dave--sounds neat.

Holly, Erika, GB folks, I have a question--it's in the GB thread if you have a chance.

Doing a 5K tomorrow but it's for a Make a Wish type group and there may not be timing.  Hope to get in a long run Sunday over the bridge a few times with Speedsters.

Happy Fridays!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I forgot . . . .

2Kitty - - - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Those are some distrubing bananas, Leslie.

But, yes, HAppy Birthday, Matt.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Hey all. Been a while.

Happy birthday Matt and belated one to you Leslie. I spent mine stuck in Dallas due to weather issues. Not a biggie as we planned on celebrating as a family tomorrow. I got a new age group too.

Been on IR for over 3 weeks with a dodgy knee. Seems as you get older and don't strength train or foam roll consistently you end up hurting yourself and require PT.

I will be reading a little to catch up but as always this place is a buzz of activity.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

....FeelGood Miles are the Best Kind fatozig//.......

.Happy B'Day twocat>>>>>>it's the same day as my Crazy Brother, but I'm not drawing any conclusions....

eta- good to see CR checking in.....

==========

still low 40s here,

20s tonite

......40-min trekking poles, but Warm would have been better

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Those are some distrubing bananas, Leslie.

But, yes, HAppy Birthday, Matt.

+1 on both counts!

Hey C-R, happy birthday to you, too! Sorry about the knee. As Jay said, a lot of us have been nursing lingering injuries and illnesses. Hope yours is better soon.

I've never been to NOLA, but my sister has a few times and she insists I really need to go. One of these years...

I'm thinking I'm going to start ending my texts with Thank u, Love u and see how far that gets me. (not far, I'm betting)

Haven't run yet but will this afternoon. I'm taking a break from reading an RFP draft for the final (I hope) time.

Happy BIrthday TwoCat

Hoping everyone else stays off the injured runners list - it's not fun and actually getting hard to read running posts 

Had granddaughter overnight last night -- she is delicious enough to make me forget I can go out for a run tho!!

denise

mrrun

Happy Birthday Twocat - we loved NOLO, hope you do too

(((DL List))))  far too many peoples on it

we just saw Hail Caesar!!! - a must for anyone who likes old movies

marj