Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.25.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (5.6 miles with hillage)

C-R (8 sunrise miles with a friend and a rooster)

Tramps (5 miles)

Jlynne (4.1 TM miles + 25 min of weights & core)

Stumpy (4.5 bike-path miles in almost 50° temps)

Henrun & Marj (1 hr run on Heartbreak Hill)

Holly (17.1 miles on dry pavement in 30° temps)

Opus77 (5 miles at 8:40 pace, 20° cooler than Saturday)

Mike (6 miles before the onslaught of family & friends)

Wildchild (5.5 steep trail morning miles with the Ultra Dirt Divas in 20° with 3" of new snow)

Evanflein (7.5 miles with hillage on toasted legs)

Twocat (16 morning miles with 5 at faster than marathon pace)

I hope everyone has a great Christmas (or a great Monday depending on what you do), and that you enjoy the company of family & friends, and that you all eat well.

This is the end of an essay I found yesterday, and that we read before dinner last night. For perspective, it was written in NYC on Sept. 19, 2001.

"In a city where any food imaginable is normally available at any time of day, cooking takes on more meaning. If we feel hungry, we can order in egg rolls or curry. But if we feel hollow, we can bake pumpkin bread or molasses cookies. Comfort food is what someone cooks for you. Comfort cooking is what you do for yourself.

And the reason you do it is very simple: cooking is the most sensual activity a human being can engage in, in polite company. My stew involved smell (onions softening, Cognac reducing), touch (the chopping, the stirring), sound (that sizzle of beef cubes hitting hot fat), sight (carrot orange against the gold-brown of mustard and beef stock) and especially taste. Making it was a way to feel alive and engaged.

Whoever said cooking should be entered into with abandon or not at all had it wrong. Going into it when you have no hope is sometimes just what you need to get to a better place.

Long before there were antidepressants, there was stew."

By pure coincidence, I made the Dijon and Cognac Beef Stew described in the essay for dinner, and it came out great and we had a great time. DW surprised us all with red plaid pajamas, so we all changed into them for group photos (which may not be posted here or anywhere else).

My 6-7 mile workout yesterday morning turned out to be 9.1. It was a nice morning, and a good workout. It rained early this morning, so I didn't venture out then. The rain has since stopped, but now the wind is howling outside the windows, and I didn't pack clothes to deal with that, so I might skip today.

Have a GRETA Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//..............stew sounds like A Plan...............

================

25-degrees in knoxville this morning

50-min on Hills,,,,,,,,ugh,,,,,,,,,,

Not Pretty,

but it's done

...................Merry Christmas and Safe Travels,,,,,,,,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Merry Christmas y'all!   Just got back from a noon-ish 5.1 mile run from the house with my daughter.  Son is on the bike trainer in the basement.  We took a couple of pictures with inflatables in the last mile of the run.  Maybe we ran off some of the cinnamon rolls and  last night's sparkling wine.   

Christmas Eve service was beautiful.   Family photo from after the service is below. My son isn't smiling in this one, but it's the one I put on facebook. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

And a picture from today's run.

Marathon Maniac #957

Merry Christmas!

KSA - Love the pictures.

Okay, it is almost 3 and I have just finished cooking and clean up.  Whew!  And I am not even hosting the meal...  But, I agree with Jay's quote - I do enjoy cooking, and my kids and niece were chatting me up while I did so, so some good family visiting time included.  I made my family a big late breakfast with bacon, eggs, biscuits, fried potatoes, and cinnamon rolls (heart attack, anyone?) and then made sweet potato casserole, falafels, turkey breast in a crockpot (to take to my stepdad's for dinner), and cabbage rolls (to have for tomorrow's dinner).  Since DH took the week off and the kids are out of school I wanted to have some leftovers for them to munch.

Since I am the only one working this week it is going to be very hard to make myself get up at 5:30 and get a run in, but I won't catch that pace bunny if I don't.....

5 miles for me this morning in a windy 20 degrees.  I was not dressed warm enough, and need to rethink my layering for the cold.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Love the pictures, KSA, glad you had the time with your kids.

Jay, that's a great description of the inner joy of cooking. I do enjoy cooking and being creative, but I tell ya sometimes getting home late and not having a plan or inspiration, it can be hard. It's nice to have time off work to not be on a schedule and do what you want. Tonight we're grilling cornish game hens (which is weird, they're domestic so why do them call them game hens?) and we're not sure what else. Potatoes for sure (still have quite a few from the garden) and veggies...

Yesterday's dinner with the family was really good and we all got stuffed. My lasagna was a big hit and gave the leftovers to my folks. Our family gift exchange involves lots of food items and miscellaneous things, nothing big really. Lots of coffee and chocolate changed hands last night! Today was a quiet morning with DS1 and his DW and their cats. I kind of wish they wouldn't do that because Emma hates it, but they sure are cute (Emma doesn't think so). We had english muffins with cheddar, eggs and crabmeat with a spanish cava (sparkling wine) and cut up fruit. Yum. Then gifts, which was mostly us giving them stuff they needed for their house and cats. I'll probably do a short treadmill run later today. Don't feel like bundling up again.

Quickadder

Happy Christmas ya’ll.

My Christmas Day run didn’t happen. DW admitted to the local hospital this morning with what is hopefully just a lung infection, but will be there at least overnight.

I have come home from the hospital to cook a late Christmas dinner for DD, her husband & son and myself. May need a few extra miles tomorrow to run off the calories.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Oh no, Quickladder!  I'm so sorry about your wife.  I hope she is OK and gets released soon.

Yay!

Everyone is enjoying their christmas and/or day off!

10.2 on the trails, more people up in the hills than I expected!

Quickadder, there's a flu going around here, maybe that's what it is? Best of luck with a speedy recovery for her!

We took friend to the airport in the morning, opened presents around 11:00 or so, they ordered chinese food as per Jewish christmas regulations, and I went for a run.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After the feaux snowflakes from mini-bubbles at the Christmas Parade on Friday, slight real snow on Saturday aftenoon became three inches on the lawn by Christmas morning, just right for the first Frostie of the year and putting in the first (and only) x-c ski tracks in a local park

KSA - Beautiful vestment photos, . . .
                      especially those leggings.
                      DD too?
                      good luck ql.
                      Thanks to all the docs, nurses, staffs, etc.
                      on Christmas Day, and every other day
                      for all 8,736 hours of the year too,
                      without respite

another hohum day for the supergoddess

Okay, it is almost 3
                      and I have just finished cooking
                      and clean up.  Whew!  
                      a big late breakfast with
                      bacon,
                      eggs,
                      biscuits,
                      fried potatoes, and
                      cinnamon rolls (heart attack, anyone?)
                      and then made sweet potato casserole,
                      falafels,
                      turkey breast in a crockpot (to take to my stepdad's for dinner),
                      and cabbage rolls (to have for tomorrow's dinner).

5 miles for me this morning in a windy 20 degrees

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Merry Christmas everybody!

Well...the whole brood has left.  Two days of a houseful of kids.  I really enjoyed having my kids around but, unfortunately, Eric never showed up for either day.  I'm pretty sure he has been using again.  It just takes all the fun out of everything when you have that hanging over your head.  Hopefully, he'll get back on track soon.

I managed to get my run in before everybody got here, today.  It was 3 below with a 15 mph wind making the "feels like temperature" 23 below.  I headed into the wind and got about 3/4 of a mile away before I turned around to go back home and grab a facemask.  I hate wearing those things but I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.  I attempted 2 x 3 miles at "strength" pace, which is 6:40, but only managed 6:56 running into the wind and 6:42 running with the wind.  I was at 9.6 miles when I got back to the house and would have added another .4 but the kids were already arriving so I figured I'd better get in and get ready.

So--I guess that's about all I have.  I think I'll go to bed and watch a little football before going to sleep.  Even though I took the day off, tomorrow, I'm going in at 5:00 to work for an hour, or so.  See ya!

oh, Sumpi'n Claus also visited us last night. I left him a shot of Cognac and a cigar, with a note saying to help himself to the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWnP2jO06gc

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Wishing everyone a fun and lovely day.

Ohhh and I hope your day included some smile miles.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Delayed post sorry --- rough couple of days!!

Sunday - started with a festive 3.2 mile annual Christmas Eve run with friends followed by breakfast. Unfortunately the day was marredafter by a couple of pretty psychotic phone calls from Justin. We had his girls for our family Christmas Eve, but Nina was so sick and clingy it was a difficult evening. My niece did manage to get a couple of adorable photos with her and their dog tho!! Maria had a blast with all her older cousins.

Christmas Day - slept in, shoveled over an hour with dh. Went for an easy run in my snowboots, wondering if I should have put on sneakers with grips and I fell at exactly the 1 mile point!! My sunglasses gashed my face so bad!! Fortunately I was only running on the side streets near my house and someone drove me home. The gash is awful - 7 stitches, but the swelling and bruising is crazy!!

Can 2017 be over yet????

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - sorry to hear that about Eric. I hope it is not as bad as you think.  Nice run, btw, in super cold.  You are way tougher than I am.

{{{Deez}}}  and Ouch!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."