Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 04/17 (Read 513 times)

Top 'O the World!

Hello Frances!  Nice to see you in here

Gosh, I HOPE Leslie is taking today off!!!   Kelly, I think she should come out & run w/you!   

Nice race Joe.  Looked like fun...& nice pic too

Glad you're feeling a bit better Arla!  This has been a long bout for you, hasn't it?!  I'm still messing a bit with that cold that just won't completely go away but, it doesn't sound anything like what you've had....& had to take along on vacation Tongue  don't worry, you'll bag that pace bunny soon enough - I have faith

Yup, Spring yard & garden work is DEFINITELY cross-training, Carol! speaking of which......

Jewels - how's your knee/ IT coming along?? 

Jim, I told Doug about your "nice, consistent 11 milers"...pointing out that he hasn't been that focused...& ...that you were going to kick his butt @ the BB!

Hey Kev! Hey Ev!

K then, got my taxes done & filed, Pomeranians tortured groomed, 5 hilly miles w/Mairead & Doug soooo, I guess I should go do something with my back yard!!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey HEY Hey - Nope, I'm not at work.  Put in for the day off many moons ago.  I'm actually more tired today than I was yesterday.  Guess I was still working off some adrenaline.  Also, we had to drive back yesterday, which was about a 6-hr drive.  Rained liked an SOB for about the first 4 hrs of driving.  So, so glad that didn't come in the day before.

Joe - Congratulations on the trail race!  How fun!  So maybe, just maybe, you're leaning a little further toward the dark side?  Hmmmmm???  You're gonna kick buttooty next weekend.

Carol - I agree with Arla - yard work is cross training.  And Shorty was a tad "misty-eyed" while watching the implosion of TX Stadium, too.

Arla - That illness is still hanging on?  Dang, girl.  Good job getting some running in anyway.

Ev - You have two more weeks, right?

Jim - So you gonna take Arla's challenge and go for the full in December???

Jewels - How's the knee?

Cindy - Sounds like they're going to be able to fix your car.  Is that a good or bad thing?

Frances - Welcome to our little family.  The more the merrier!

Hi, Kelly!  Thanks for coming to "see" us again!!

I'll do a race report, but in the meantime . . . . wow.  One thing is definitely for certain - I could not have finished this race without my buddy, Karen, as my pacer.  She was amazing.  She yelled at me, cajoled me, laughed with me, cried with me, or just let me be whenever it was necessary.  I barely made the second cutoff, and I only did that because of her, with 2 minutes to spare. The climb at the end - holy freaking cow.  I finally told Karen I could power walk it, but there was no way I could even try to run any of it.  It felt never ending. 

Saturday evening, a lot of runners were staying at the same hotel we were.  You could pick 'em out 'cause we were all walking the same - like we had cobs stuck up our butts.   You'd see someone walking and say, "You run the race today?"

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this, 'cause 2 days later, it feels sort of surreal.  One thing is for sure, a lot of what kept me going was knowing how many people were rooting for me.  When I wanted so bad to quit, you guys were constantly in my head, as were my friends here at home, and I just kept thinking that I couldn't let anybody down.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Frances! Welcome to our little group. We're old, slow, and proud of it! What we lack in speed, we more than make up for in stubborn persistence! Plus peer pressure, sometimes I think I keep at this just because, well, what would people think if I quit? heh.

Leslie - really, I just can't even imagine 50 hilly mi and NOT wanting to quit. It sure says something about you that you kept going. I also can't imagine what your legs feel like today. Thank goodness for Karen - there's something to be said for someone who knows when to shut up when you need peace! Also, I assume your digestive tract cooperated? You've learned so much over the last few months about how to feed yourself.

Cindy - way to pick on Doug. Gotta keep him on his toes!

Had a tough go making 5 mi today. Have no idea why, I wasn't off running long enough to be deconditioned, guess the bug is still keeping my body hard at work. I'm working hard and way off my usual pace.

Arla

Ex runner

Hello to Frances and welcome......good luck with your training.

Way to go Joe.....love the pic! Sounds like you had a great time and a super nice "time". Congrats....

How is Ms. Leslie feeling? I watched a lot of the live video stream they had going on but they shut it off at the 12 hr. mark, and I was like wth.......my friend is still out there! Looking forward to your race report and tell Karen she's a great friend for getting you through the difficult section at the end.

Knee sucks.......I really want to "pick" a marathon race and start setting goals but, I need to get this figured out soon. Heading back to the doc in a couple of weeks to see if he can work some of his magic.

Gotta get movin'.......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Just popping in to say hi, and wanted to welcome Frances.  Thankfully there are no speed qualifications for this group or they would never let me in.  You're going to love it here....these people are the best.  Sounds like you are being smart in your running progress, and on a really good path. 

Good friends are so important, especially at the end of a freaking 50 mile race!  I'm so glad Karen was there for you, and that you remembered we were too Smile.

Katy and I had a nice run in the cool of the day this morning.  Even ran alongside a 4 time boston qualifier guy.  Didn't catch his name...wish I had asked now.  Anyway, nice to chat for that 100 yards or so we kept up w/ him Smile.

No time to comment more, but looks like everyone is doing pretty well....except Jewels, with that *&^% knee!  Can you swim with it?   Arla, sounds like you're getting better, bit by bit.  Begone bad bug!!! 

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

2m recovery last night but checked 5 bins for x-training. I could really feel the burn going up all the steps on the new bin though not winded. Maybe good for strength/hill training, think I will work that into the schedule at least every other week. Good for BB's hills.

Leslie rest up we can wait for the full report til you're up to it. Google The Day after the Marathon London, hilarious will remind you of your hotel lobby.

Cindy aahh your soooo fun-neeee . Doug can kick my butt anytime he chooses, cause #1 he is a natural and #2 he gets more running just back and forth at work than I do all week.  Sucky wind today huh? Glad u and the Raid got out, Doug too!

Arla that really sucks with that bug, is there a dr in the house? What's he say? On a fall marathon who knows haven't ruled it out just need harvest to cooperate a little more. It's normally over by the time I was supposed to be at peak mileage, don't wanta have to get up at 3 am to get long runs in then work til dark like last yr . I dunno, So far I really don't believe its something I can physically do regardless of work at this point anyway.

Jewels hope u get a good report on that bum knee.

Nice Katy run Carol. Local gal is doing boston, her mom is going along they are really excited. She won the Lincoln marathon women's open division. Comes from an athletic family, her dad walked on at Nebraska Football as a reciever (very fast but a little too small for div I) and her mom's family are all good athletes.

Hi to Ev  Joe Kelly Stumpy and Evry one else.

50 mph winds stuck in office for now.

MTA a welcome to Frances

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hiya everyone.

Welcome Frances! Always good to see new peeps here. I like your patient approach.

How are you feeling Leslie? That is some accomplishment. We are very proud of you. 

Arla- hope you feel better soon. You'll get your pace back.

Jewels- get that knee better. The races will be there when you're healed.

Carol- no crying here over Texas Stadium. You guys are coming to open our new stadium this year. Just as we opened your new one last year with a Giants win, the Cowboys beat us at the first game in the Meadowlands in '76. So now I suppose it's the Cowboy's turn to spoil our party again?

Cindy-sounds like you're back to being your very busy self again.

Jim-50mph winds? Your running has been going well.

Hi Kelly and Kevin and Ev and whoever's around.

Not much to report runningwise here. An 8er last night will probably be the longest of the week. Getting a bit ansy for the race and the weather does not look good. Temps from 34*-45* with rain. Winds out of the northeast which means a headwind the whole way of 16mph with gusts to 35! Yikes!

Getting a bit ansy for the race and the weather does not look good. Temps from 34*-45* with rain. Winds out of the northeast which means a headwind the whole way of 16mph with gusts to 35! Yikes!

Keeping fingers crossed Mother Nature stops PMSing and decides to give you all a break.

Jewels - Frigging knee.   I know of one stretch for the IT band, if you want the info.

Carol - Hey!  You kept up with a Boston runner!

Jim - Yeah, all that climbing is definitely excellent cross training.

Arla - Nothing really major re intestinal issues, but I did get pretty behind on the calories.  Absolutely nothing sounded good except chicken noodle soup, which, besides when I saw The Hub, was available at only 2 aid stations.  Unfortunately, I couldn't carry a warm container of it around with me.  Hardly any chewing involved and easy to swallow, which became 2 big issues.

I'm feeling good, except for being tired and some residual soreness in the right hip joint. The blister I got is even mostly gone.

Was suppose to walk or slowly jog 3 miles this a.m., but when I got up at 5:45, it was pouring rain outside. . . . . I went back to bed. 

Got my new running schedule, which takes me through most of June.  As I requested, Coach gave me weekends off for the next month or so.  Only working out during the week.  Very nice.  Maybe I can get some much needed yard work done now.

Later, friends ~

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Welcome Frances.....post often.

Leslie, how are your body parts?  Hope things are starting to return to normal.  Again....what an experience that must have been.   Yeah, Les....two more weeks for me.  I've been resting and healing up body parts.  The taper wasn't planned to be a nearly total absence of running, but it has kinda turned out that way.  April 25 is the day.

Jim.....those 11 milers will definately help you in the 10K BB.  When is that race?

Arla....relax and just ease back into it.  You're right, you're definately not deconditioned. 

Joe....you've got the hard part done.....now go get it!

Hang in there Jewels. 

Carol....glad you got in a nice cool morning run. 

My taper runs have been hit and miss.  I got a nice 6spot in this evening.  Pretty windy out there....not the 50 that Jim has but evry bit of 35. 

Hey Mtn, Frances, Stump Ultra and evryone else.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good evening all.  I did my running on a basketball court for an hour and a half last night.  First time in over a year and a half.  I had stopped when it seemed I would get an a-fib episode shortly after playing.  The good news is--no a-fib, no bruises (very relevant in the game I play in) and nothing major sore.  Now I have to figure out  how to deal with the fact that both basketball and yoga are on Monday night.  no overlap, but I usually feel like rest after yoga and not a couple hours of BB.

Joe that looked like a fun race.  Not familiar with the area, but maybe I ought to give it a try.  Even a 10K and I would have been seriously tempted.

Leslie--not even remotely tempted .  Glad to hear you're healthy and recovering well.

Jim--that autopilot rig of yours is amazing.  But can't you let dessa ride by herself and you could get something else done and really multi-task?   Just hop back in at the end of the run?  I had a little idea that farming was really high tech, but I'm glad to hear more of the details first hand.

Jewels--hope your doc comes up with something good for you.

Arla--Hope your crud clears out soon.  I'm sure it's getting frustrating.

Hi Frances.  nice place to be.  Can't complain, they let me in here.

Max the dog wants to go out for a walk.  Have get out and get to bed--I took another unplanned rest day so I have to get up early tomorrow and be good.  May actually be back to tights weather around here.  36 this morning and it looks like more of the same.

Good night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I had been passed by a few on the way out, but passed by none on the way back.

I like to use this measure of success, too.  It takes a strong finisher to not get passed in the last half of a race.  Probably several of the ones that passed you early on got passed by you in the later stages of the race.  I think this race will prove to be a valuable tool in your upcoming marathon.  Good Luck, Joe!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Thanks Ev. Hope you're healing up what ails you. You have a lot of good training for your race as well.

Good going on the cross training Stumpy. I was never a very good b-ball player.Should have been a little chilly up your way.

The gym membership is helping to ward off the taper madness this time around.

Last night was Body Attack followed by a 6er on the mill and abs workout.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, I never let skill get in the way of a good BB game.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

4 with LuLu this morning, a couple interval like thingys and a squirrel fartlek into the mud. I Let Dessa Lou off leash the last half mile, she took off like a rocket and looked back at me with her little dog smirk like "You're so sloooow!).

Wicked little storm last nite, we had either an F0 or a very strong whirlwind as it ripped 4straps and one mount bracket off our hot tub. I watch the swirling dirt go right by our picture window. The UPS driver watched 2 swirling masses but didn't see a connection above but alot of rotation in the clouds. Anyway had to be at least 70 mph accompanied by small hail and later heavy rain just shy of an inch. Glad we have the ground ready to go as I can hook my planter and get all the gremlins out of the system now.

Kevin glad you got to hit the bball courts with no probs, sounds like a sport you have missed .

Joe yup nice to have the gym to shake off the taper crazies!

Ev come on up BB is memorial day. Fly into DIA rent a car and u can be in Boulder in less than an hour, stay in Westminister or Broomfield 10-15 min away. It would be a nice fun race after your big one!

http://www.bolderboulder.com/site3.aspx

Hey to the rest of ya all, better use this rain break to get some office stuff done.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

. . . we had either an F0 or  at least 70 mph accompanied by small hail and later heavy rain just shy of an inch.

Jeepers!   And loved your description of LuLu.

Joe - "Body Attack" sounds a little too strenuous right before a marathon.

Hey Stumpy, Ev, Carol, Jewels, Frances, Kelly, Cindy, and all you lurkers out there.  Happy Hump Day!

Did 2.75 eezy miles last night after work (had to go to the bathroom too bad to do the whole 3).  Started out with sluggish legs, but they loosened up after about half a mile.  The lungs are still pretty PO'd though, and my low back is really tight this morning.  Other than that, I feel great!

Yack atcha'll later ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance