Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.4.17 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Henrun (3 sunny, windless miles, with temps in the upper 30s)
    RunnerKSA (7.2 morning miles on a beautiful TN day)
    Bioguy (24:00 in the “Run Like The Dickens” 5K)
    C-R (10+ miles in very tired legs in mid-30s, sunny weather)
    Quickadder (10.5 morning trail miles at 10:28 pace for a ‘double-double’ weekend)
    Jlynne (6.1 morning miles in 29° temps, under a bug moon)
    Pfriese (8.8 morning miles through town in beautiful weather)
    Tomwhite (60 min workout in 60s temps)
    Tramps (32 mile morning bike ride in mid-40s temps)
    Holly (7.5 EZ miles in sunny 34° temps)
    Mike (6 differently-paced miles)
    HermosaBoy (2:42:39 at the California International Marathon at almost age 54!)
    Fatozzig (30 min of core/ST + plyometrics)
    Surly Bill (4.7 miles at 8:09 pace with temps in the upper 50s)

Stumpy (lake loop in 30° temps at about 9:20 pace)

Falconfixer (7 miles at 8:30 pace)

Deeze (1.1 post-work, challenge miles in scrubs)

Wildchild (7 afternoon trail miles with a friend + 5.5 group full/Super moon trail miles with temps in the 50s)

Tammy (10.5 morning miles with the ladies trail group in the first snow at 3K ft. elevation)

Evanflein (11.2 miles on slick/snowy surfaces)

Twocat (18.8 miles)

Great race, Bioguy, especially after such a long race layoff!

Hermosaboy is just a racing animal - he never fails to run impressive times!

Great photos from Wildchild (what is the person on the left wearing?) and Tammy. Lots of good runs yesterday. Evanflein is so right about winter runs being different than summer runs. That has me a little nervous about my half up in Maine on Saturday - I dunno what the roads will be like, and if they are snow-covered, I'm in trouble. If they are ice-covered, I may be a DNS because, even with traction aids, there is no way to racewalk on ice without either being slower than molasses, and/or potentially pulling a hamstring.

We had a good, very busy trip to NJ, including watching a niece who is a HS sophomore perform in strange but enjoyable HS play (She Kills Monsters). I also got in 2 good workouts for a total of 18+ miles; I went hard on Saturday, and really felt it by the end of yesterday's 7+. So with that, and after the 5-hr. drive home, I took my regular SRD this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

the world is back to normal and the earth is spinning around the sun - welcome home Jay and great work-outs over the w/e

congrats hermosoboy!

mikeE - have you heard of email?

haven't figured out today's run - the problems of retirement....

marj

Glad you had a good trip, Jay.

3.2 miles this morning.  50 degrees but the bottom is about to drop out.   Now to wrestle the cat and get a huge pill down his throat.

2.3 miles on the treadmill after work.     5.5 for the day.  Holding off the pace bunny.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

there is no way to racewalk on ice without either being slower than molasses, and/or potentially pulling a hamstring.

good luck.

ps - do RW'er's ever fall down?

the world is back to normal and the earth is spinning around the sun - 

haven't figured out today's run - the problems of retirement..

marj - me either but with dense fog (hiding the moon, unfortunately) portending a sunny day after a week of rain <<<(SeattleMarathon/SeattleMarathon)>>>, maybe a five miler is in order.

ps mike:  49¢ x 450 = $220.50 of lost entry fees

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Yeah, neat photos from Carolyn and Tammy.  Both very creative.

Hermosaboy deserves another shout out.  Wow. Amazing racing.  That is a fast field as well.

Jay--you've paid your fee, if the worst happens, go for a nice 13.1 mile hike.

ps mike:  49¢ x 450 = $220.50 of lost entry fees

Poor Mike. I don't know, though.  There's something special about an actual hand-signed, written letter.  It's a lost art.  I kind of miss holiday cards, too, though we still get and give a handful of them.

4.5 mile run on a crisp clear morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay--you've paid your fee, if the worst happens, go for a nice 13.1 mile hike.

Even better, it's a free race.  Neat story and well worth the read if you haven't heard about it.  https://downeast.com/marathon-man/

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy Folks!

Just 3 miles on the TM for me this morning, followed by about 15 minutes of core and weights.

Happy  Survive Your Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Even better, it's a free race.  Neat story and well worth the read if you haven't heard about it.  https://downeast.com/marathon-man/

Yeah, I know. #jokefail

Be safe. Be kind.

Now to wrestle the cat and get a huge pill down his throat.

Good luck with that one!  We have one cat in particularly (Ziggy) who I don't even try.  If he needs a pill, he suffers the indignities of going to the vet.  Otherwise I'll just end up in the ER with both arms shredded.

Speaking of cats - Everything was frosted over this a.m.  I couldn't quite bring myself to put on my running duds and get out there, so I spent about 2 hrs shepherding cats in and out to the door to go to the bathroom after feeding them (and me in and out of bed and sleep).  I had just fallen back to sleep at one point when Wilson and Ziggy decided it was time to play.  When the old man (Ziggy) decides he wants to play - regardless of the hour - I don't get upset.  If he's still feeling frisky at 15 1/2, who am I to squash his enthusiasm?

I'll get in my 4 after work.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Today will be a rest day for me. But no rest is included in that day. Working all day, then getting the house decorated tonight. My house is not large by any means, and I can't stand clutter, and right now I have 5 Christmas tote boxes out with decorations. This will also be a purge time - going through stuff we don't use. I change things a bit each year and include some different decorations, but also have things I haven't used in years. If it hasn't come out in the last 3 yrs, I'm getting rid of it. 
                      Christmas trees were pretty pathetic this year. There are only about 4 places in town with the pre-cut trees you can buy, but at $10/ft I'm not going for that. In past years, we could get a nice 6ft tree for about $35. But with all the fires this summer and burning down some tree farms, there aren't as many, so they can charge more. We went to a U-Cut farm yesterday that we would go to years ago, but their quality during the years of drought we had really deteriorated their inventory, but figured we'd give them a shot. Well, at $4/ft the price was better, but trees were pretty sad looking. Found one that is only 5 ft, but it was literally about the only one we would find that was fairly uniform in shape and didn't have a ton of dead needles. Got it home and realized just how sad it looked. sort of a yellow-green, not dark green. Because so many others were really bad at the u-cut place, this one seemed better at the time. But I'll just try and put enough ornaments on it to cover its ugliness. Both my husband and I agreed though that we are sort of over the whole Christmas tree thing and probably won't get one again. We can decorate the house and create other festive decor without a tree. Not really a tradition that either of us are super connected to as it is.

Tammy

...new PT exercises today,

Leg was Toast

so

........30-min......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Whoosh.

Yeah, I know. #jokefail

Image result for whoosh emoji

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

It was warm enough last night that Emma went out on the deck with DH when he was grilling. It was about an hour later that I asked, "Where's Emma? Did she come in with you?" And no, he hadn't seen her so out we go calling her. She came in pretty quickly, but was down on the driveway. Her little paws were so cold! She warmed up on my lap though. Silly kitty.

Today was going to be a rest day, but it's going to be up to 30° today and upper 20's tomorrow, then MORE snow on Wednesday. I'm thinking Wednesday looks like a good day to take off. Smile

Holly, true enough about the stabilizer muscles. I could sure feel it in the ol' hip flexors and glutes. But that might also be from the hardpack snow removal I was doing Saturday.

Meant to comment on Bioguy's Dickens run. Love races with a theme like that, as obviously this group does, too! We have a Beat Beethoven 5k done every April as a Symphony fundraiser. You have to finish the race before Beethoven's 5th Symphony ends, and you get a free concert ticket. I haven't run it in years, it's pretty hilly and usually icy so I've passed on it lately. But I might do it this year if the conditions are good.

Tammy, I'm hemming and hawing on the Christmas tree thing this year. We have a beautiful fake, it looks so real you'd never know unless you get pretty close. Got it when a local Christmas store was closing and the co-owner was a co-worker at the time. She gave me a crazy deal I couldn't pass up... $200 for an $800 tree. It's way too big for our house though, and it owns the living room when it's set up. I might just string lights around the window and call it good. 

RunnerKSA, GL with the cat and the pill. We've had some that don't seem to mind, and others that will fight to the death (or close). I've had some pills get so spitty and wet they just about fall apart but they keep coming back...

Jay, I wouldn't blame you if you passed on the race if it's icy, regardless of cost or lack thereof to enter.

Henrun

Fantastic Feat hermosaboy.

Kevin- great article- hope Jay gets to do it.

2.4 sunny miles this morning in shorts- before December really becomes December in New England.

mrrun

ended up with 3 miles roaming around the 'hood.  we couldn't see the moon last night because of the cloud cover

marj