Masters Running

Wednesday’s Daily 11/17/2021 (Read 38 times)

Yay, starting my first daily in probably over a decade!

I’m in Atlanta, psyching up for a conference tomor— er, today. But I can’t get to sleep because it’s only 9pm back home.

Did great on my low-sugar pledge toda— er, I mean yesterday.

Happy running, biking, walking, hiking, core work, surgery prep or recovery, and so on!

SteveP

Thank You for the start Econo.

Tramps - Emily Scott Robinson has a nice voice.

Holly - Consider a contingency plan for carting you foot freezer to work. Just in case.

The BTY family is adorable!

His stage name is Dickey Lee. He wrote a bunch of 60s hits like "I Saw Linda Yesterday" and "Patches". I spoke to them a bit.

The fella is quite a crooner.

I met a friend for a 9 mile trail run at Elk Meadow park over in Evergreen, and it lived up to it's name because there was a large herd of elk lying in a meadow!    They're so tame they don't even get up when runners or mountain bikers go by on the trail.  Lovely shorts and tee shirt weather again.

Last week  I went to a city park and a turtle as begging.

Surly Bill - Cool bird watching.

I got 2 miles in. Dunkin went with me and he sat down in the snow after 1/4 mile. We turned around an went back. He laid down in the snow nd started whimpering. He has a vet appointment Thursday. I tucked him onto the couch and went back out.

The pooch was very clingy when I got home.

Dunkin started playing with a toy. It's very unusual for him. He started playing tug of war with his toy. DW was pleasantly amazed.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Econe - thanks for the start!

Steve - Beautiful pics!  I hope Dunkin is okay!  Our old guy, Dexter, has been more affectionate lately, always curling up right by one of us on the sofa and soliciting pets and lovings...it worries me a little, as I wonder if he knows something we don't....

No run for me today.  I have to go into work a half-hour early, which doesn't leave me enough time, so I will do about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Good morning Econo. You reminded me that I have some Reese's Cups in the fridge. Maybe I will get some dessert now that I finished breakfast.

Ran 3.34 this morning.  Back in shorts for a day.  Going up into the 70s today but the high tomorrow will be back in the 40s.

I think it is safe to say that the Sabres aren't terrible.  3 of their best folks are injured along with their starting goalie, yet they beat Edmonton, lost to Toronto by 1 when they scored a goal with 11 seconds left in the game, and then they beat the Penguins in Pittsburgh.  So I broke out my 30+ year old Sabres coffee cup today.  It is from back in the day when coffee cups were more "cup sized" and not the monster sized cups you see today.  I save it for when Buffalo is doing good and it reminds me of my father who loved the Sabres and coffee. I carefully hand wash the cup so the logo is still there.

Thanks for the start, Econo.  Good luck with the time adjustment.  I'm not good at that....          Steve- gorgeous pictures and I sure hope our dear Dunkin is OK.

It was warm here this morning, too- 55. While I was out running it felt like it really changed- it got cloudy and the wind picked up, but the temperature apparently didn't go down.  I was glad I had a thin long sleeved shirt on.  4.7 miles done.  We have a Vandy game tonight so that might be it for today.

Humpday- whatever that means for me in retirement life, which is probably not much.  Catch y'all later.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks for the start, Econo.  Good luck today!

Steve--that first pic is gorgeous.

Dave--nice cup story. They've been known to turn things around dramatically mid-season but, so far, Falcon's Penguins (I just like saying that) are looking downright bad this year.

Holly--aren't you our moderator (or whatever it's called here)?  I'd suggest shutting down that old thread that popped up. I suspect that's robot stuff.  You can never trust robots.

Beautiful autumn day here in the upper 30s and sunny.  IRC 5-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hmmm - so I censored it and locked it (not something I have done before), so can you still see it?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Nope, locked up tight.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Beautiful autumn day here in the upper 30s and sunny. IRC up on the Hillside later in the morning when the sun comes up, and the fourth day of the 15 day fall sumo tournament that's on NHK-World from 8:30am-9am is over.

早上好. (zaoshang hao).
                    おはようございます (ohayou gozaimasu)

Econo - except for covid travel concerns, you getting to start the daily made me think you might have gone to another conference in China or Japan (where you exchanged too) to start us off as you used to too sometimes and then stop by on the way back for the Seattle Half Marathon.

ps - When I used to have to fly across five or six time zones in those days from south of erika-land to the East Coast for meetings that included a member from Hawaii, there was lots of dozing off as the 8am meetings were starting at even before j-o'clock for us.   Good luck to you in staying awake at your conference.  Any running opportunities in such a famous running mecca?

ps Jay - when did you start running/RW'ing at j-o'clock?

I hope erika survived the weekend deluge down in Portland and can enjoy today too.

Dave - way to go against the Penguins.  With their 14 PTS being way ahead of the Kraken's measly 9 PTS, we're already dreading a scheduled match against the Penguins' winning ways in December.  I hope you get to enjoy the 30-yo Sabres cup all season long instead of just until next week or so.

I would actually not recommend clicking on that link.  Eric needs to be notified.

KSA - I miss a lot but ever since I double-checked with DD about ten years ago before opening a blind link in an unsubjected e-mail from DS that she never did without any explanation about what it was about and, sure enough, it was a spam that got into the e-mails of all her friends and even professional contacts who opened it, I don’t open herein either. However, the JK123's post of postings from four years ago was kind of fun, especially for those of us who were still running for real then.

With the skies at 4:30 am dark and as starry as the city lights allow, a walk down the ‘hood to the lakeside to see the 97% waxing moonset at 5:28am seemed in order but I couldn’t find the moon in the sky where it used to be the last time I saw it in September, . . . until I looked much further north along the other side of the lake past the floating bridge.

Otherwise, if the season’s low temps keep dropping another 5F (to another season low at 37F this morning), we’ll be down to erika-land freezing by the end of December or January.

No photo description available.

11/17/21 (5:10am)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave, I'm disappointed in you. Just $44.99 and one of these 3000 9" Reese's Thanksgiving pies could have been yours:

They sold out pretty quickly!

No activity yet for me today, but I did cancel my pending surgery as the hospitals are filling up quickly around here with Covid patients and I felt it was just too risky. I'll reschedule, but it will probably be next April after we get back from our Arizona trip.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

How Do, Folks -

Nuthin' for me again.  I'll get back on the exercise wagon, but my brain needed a break.  Also, I woke up in the middle of the night completely nauseated and was again for a couple of hours.  I have no clue what the issue was.

Steve - Great pics, but the sky over the parking lot is my favorite.  Poor Dunkin!  Hopefully, it's just a little bit of age.  You're a good doggie dad.

Gotta go ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

Doug, sorry to read that you are having to reschedule your surgery.  We keep an eye on the Michigan numbers since our kids live there.  It is getting worrisome again.

Is it bad to say that when we heard of the uptick in MI, especially in Ann Arbor, we simultaneously broke out into the Michigan Fight song substituting the word Covid wherever we could.

Another day of PT exercises here.  I know they work and I know I need to keep after them.  But I wish I felt like doing something more after they are done.  Compared to running, they don't seem like workout enough.  But they do work the needed muscles and then I know I have to rest afterwards.

Off for round 2 of dog walking, Happy humpday everyone.

MurrayM

8K moderate/slow pace today. First day with rain pants and raincoat stayed on for the first 3K...it usually comes off after 1K....and the first run with snowflakes mixed in with the rain. Can't remember the last run in sunshine!

Tried something new on the long hill. Alternated 20 walking paces then ran 40 all the way up. My heart rate never went over 153 and didn't have to breath hard. Will definitely use that strategy in the future.

BTY

Also, I woke up in the middle of the night completely nauseated and was again for a couple of hours.  I have no clue what the issue was.

Me too....I wonder if there was a virus in the photos I sent you.   Be careful looking at them everyone.

I woke up with a migraine at 1:45 AM and finally went to the sofa at 3:00 AM.   No sooner had I lay down than I was back up again.   The migraine progressed until about 11:00 this morning, and then it seems to have passed pretty quickly, once I felt well enough to go take a hot shower and soak in it for a few minutes.  20 minutes later I was in my car, driving over to the bike shop to pick up my ride.   "Mad Dog", the owner, explained that the bill was a little higher than he expected because he spent a couple of hours troubleshooting the problem with the rear mechanicals (my words, not his) and in the end he switched out the derailleur for a new one, and that solved the shifting problem that I wasn't aware that I had.  Basically I was shifting over gears, especially in the higher gears.  Surprisingly it didn't need a new chain, which he said to expect to change out every 1,000 to 1,500 miles.   I put exactly 2,000 miles on it this past season and he said it was still in very good condition.

What I found interesting about the bike, which I paid $20 for somewhere around 5 years ago, is that it is at least 20 years old.  I had no idea, I thought maybe 10, or a little oder maybe.  The other shop wan't really familiar with the brand but Mad Dog said the company (Mongoose) went out of business in the early 2,000's and this one looked like it was just a little older than that - late 1990's probably, early 2,000's maybe.

So far I've been able to tolerate a cup of black coffee, some applesauce with my vitamin and HBP pills in there, and a plate of rice crackers with Cashew Butter (my whole 30 alternative to PB) and blackberry preserves.   I'm not 100% sure, but I think the whole migraine/nausea thing came about because I eliminated black beans (and other beans) during the Whole 30 back in May, and last night was probably the first time I've had any beans besides baked beans, with some hot dogs, since back in April.  I forgot all about reintroducing a food slowly and methodically.

I think GN finds out today whether he made the first cut of the Basketball Team or not.  I asked him how many other freshmen were trying out, and he said 21 or 22!    Egad, there are probably only 45 freshman boys in the school district!  I said, "Oh, that's great, maybe they will have a freshman team then."  But he said, nope, they already announced there will just be Varsity and JV.  He told us the other night that he has never even had a basketball lesson in his old school - basically they played frisbee for gym class, because the History Teacher was the gym teacher and he liked playing frisbee.  Oh, and he was the principal's son.

I spend a lot of my interaction time with GN with a quizzical look on my face.

I spend a lot of my interaction time with GN with a quizzical look on my face.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance