Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/13 (Read 428 times)

"To live only for some future goal is shallow.  It's the sides of the mountain which sustain life, not the top.  That's where things grow."

-- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Happy new week to everyone! 

Ev, I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to suggest that Leslie run w/ Karen evryothr time Big grin.  Seriously, I have generally been the slower one in a running friendship, so will give you that perspective.  While the bonding that we have had on runs has really deepened our friendship and I wouldn't trade for that, I prefer to run with her only about once a week and do the other runs on my own.  I'm sure you and Karen will find a balance that works for both of you. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Thanks Carol and great quote.

I agree with Ev and Carol , Leslie. Is there a time when you can bang out your uphills alone and then the need to accomplish goals are lessened during your runs with Karen? I'm sure you'll figure it out. So many times you have conveyed to us your friendship with her.

Got a great deal at Kohl's ($42) on a pair of Aviva trail shoes yesterday. There they were all shiny and new this morning and I was thinking well that's not right . So off to the quite muddy trails today with a steady rain and 53* for a 10.5 miler. They felt real good except since I have only been running in Free's , quite heavy. Then about two thirds through I slipped on a wooden foot bridge and went in the river on one side, while my other side remained on the bridge. No sense running with one soaked shoe thought I, so I got to a spot and soaked the other.

Finished, dried off, rehashed via phone my friend's day at the Napa Valley Marathon, then 4.5 miles on the gym treadmill plus pushups,situps,pullups.Thoughroughly pooped.

Good week all.

Nice run, Joe!!  Great score on the shoes.

Thanks for your input, folks.  All your points are valid and not taken lightly.  When we start out the run, we're pretty even, but as it progresses, she gets slower.  I think part of the problem might be that she pushes too hard on the hills in the beginning and saves nothing for the end.  If it wasn't for the fact I'm training for LD at the end of April, I probably would not be so bothered about having to slow down.  Regardless, I need to keep in mind that the goal is twofold: (1) run together because we're friends and that friendship is important, and (2) on the weekend long runs, it's about building endurance.

10 wet miles in the Community Forest this a.m.  It went really well, better than I anticipated.  My legs were tired, but not dead like I anticipated.

Had a "I'd love to shoot the dog owner" moment.  Please indulge me for a moment re language.

There's a leash law in the Forest.  The fine is $121 per dog off leash, so when Karen and I run there, Charlie is on leash at all times, unless he's going down into one of the creeks to get a drink.

We come down #12, I'm a little bit ahead of Karen.  I go to turn left, and 2 women with 3 dogs are coming up the trail.  Two of the dogs are off leash.  I tell Karen, "Dogs off leash," and at the same time the owner says, "Oh, they're nice."  Bull^&*#!  As soon as those two dogs saw Charlie, they came at him with no reservations.  One has some mastiff in him, and he had teeth fully bared.  Karen's trying to get away from them, but between the two dogs, she was surrounded, and the bigger of the two kept going after Charlie.  I mean, he was out for blood.  I'm screaming at the lady, "Get your %^*& dog!" and trying to figure out if I can kick the crap out of him without him attacking me.  The lady finally gets to the dogs and she's yelling at them.  I'm still not sure how Karen managed to drag Charlie out of there, but I tell you what, I haven't been that scared over a dog in a long time.  I was freaking pissed!  As we ran off I threw back of you my shoulder, "There's a leash law! Put *bleeping* dogs on a leash!"

I don't know how she did it, but Karen stayed under control the whole time.  I could see her mind flying to figure out how to extricate herself and Charlie from the attack.  We stopped a few feet down the trail and gave Charlie lots of "good dog" pats.  He was trying as hard as Karen to get away, while trying to protect her at the same time.  Poor guy.  Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

There's a very good way to exemplify your friendship with Karen and Charlie, Leslie. Yikes. Happy no one was hurt and bitten but these people are dangerous. Buddy is very protective while on leash and there was a time when 2 bigger dogs (Great Danes with a numskull master) let their dogs come up to him. I turned on the trail and there they were, no human in sight. I  had to let go of the leash and hope for the best. Thankfully there was some mutual rear end examinations and they moved on, but no way I would have had a chance to intervene without being mauled. The dog owner eventually showed up walking on the trail and could not give a you know what about what had happened. I let the ahole know what I thought about the whole situation but I doubt he heard it.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Leslie, your situation with your running partner is similar to mine. When we first started running together this summer, I wasn't as strong a runner, so there wasn't as much of an issue. My intention was just to build base, and so my mantra was "miles are miles", even the ones at 12+ min/mile paces. But eventually that got to be a real drag, as I got to be stronger and faster. I ended up getting out to run earlier in the day to run at my own pace, then I'd do a couple more recovery miles with her a couple hours later, inadvertently training myself for doubles in the process. Now we hardly run together anymore, especially since she only runs on the weekends, and in the later afternoon to boot. I remember being a bit sad about that, but as another running friend wisely reminded me, running IS a solitary activity. It's personal. Doesn't mean we can't share it with others, but I see that as more of the exception than the rule. Just my 2¢.

Hey to everyone! I ran 11.4 miles today in the driving rain and I was grateful. Smile And yes, I was in Aruba last week, had a lovely time. Ran a bunch there too. Hamstring is still feeling the effects of the strain of six weeks ago, but getting better everyday. Can't ask for more than that.

Have a great week, all!

Hey Carol.....thanks for starting off the new week.

Leslie....It's been so dry here in OK a "10 wet miles" would be welcome.  Glad things went well......except for the dog encounter.

Joe's got some new shoes.....nice!   And only when talking about dogs can this phrase be appreciated......"Thankfully there was some mutual rear end examinations..." Big grin

OM.....welcome home.  Glad you got some rainy miles in and glad to hear you enjoyed Aruba.  Here's to further healing of the hamstring.

I got another 3 spot in yesterday. 

Enjoy the frontside folks.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                And only when talking about dogs can this phrase be appreciated......"Thankfully there was some mutual rear end examinations..." Big grin

Weeeelll, that may not necessarily be true.  Just depends on how the examination is happening. Wink

Well, after all my worrying about Karen, she gave me an opening in an email this morning to approach the subject with her.  One of the things I told her is she's the one who got me running in the first place, and I would be hard pressed to drag my butt out there weekend after weekend if I didn't have someone to run with.  Also, I don't want to be her sister who says she'll run with you then leaves you behind, never looking back.  It's been hurtful to Karen in the past.  The gist of her comments were I am not doing myself any favors running ahead of her, stopping and waiting, rewind, play again, but that I need to keep running.  If the opportunity arises for her to catch up, she will.  She doesn't want to be holding me back.  We're going to talk about it more this weekend, but I'm feeling better.  Karen is one of those people who gets caught up in other people's accomplishments as much as her own.  She's a great cheerleader.  It's a wonderful gift.

OM - Hope you had a wonderful time in Aruba.  Another "must go to place" on my list . . . along with hundreds of others.

Yea!  Ev pumped out more miles!  Nicely done, son.  Nicely done.

Rest day for me.  Just got out of a meeting with one of the attorneys in our firm, my Hub, and his friend.  They want to move toward opening their own BBQ/meat smoking/catering business.  They left the Health Dept pretty bummed, but I think I have a way to pump them back up.  I'll need to do some more investigating re the HD's requirements for such a business.  The guy over there told them he couldn't tell them anything, that things are changing on the state and county level and if he were them, he wouldn't even think about doing something like that right now.  WTH??  Give me a break!  A good thing about this, though, is it's making them step back and really think this thing through.  Perhaps start out with a smaller goal and build on that.  We'll see . . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Weeeelll, that may not necessarily be true.  Just depends on how the examination is happening. Wink

Weeeelll, you just may have a point there, Lesli!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi OM! Welcome back! Did you bring me anything! Joking Glad to hear that the hammies are coming along, seems like for many folks it's a long, long road to healing. You probably know a little more than the average person about how to take care of that.

Carol - I could never get through that book, but that's a good quote.

Leslie - Lydiard once wrote that "it's far better to run too slow than too fast". And irresponsible dog owners make me just as mad as graffiti "artists". Just had an offleash dog growl at me last week while the owner laughed and said "oh, he's friendly"...made me want to growl back!

Joe - newly muddy trail shoes, what fun! Trail shoes sure are a heavy and stiff, though.

AG win for me on Saturday and 3rd for Mark. Happy campers! Then a really tough 20+ miles in drizzle, with lots of climbing, mud, rocks, downed trees (and I'm talking redwoods here), four river crossings (two of which were dangerous and required us going through two at a time and supporting each other), and even some boulder scrambling! Wow! The river was too high for us to make it to the hot springs (would have required technical boulder scrambling through poison oak - no thank you), oh well maybe some other time. Quads a little sore today so 2 easy recovery miles was a good day.

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey Ev, heard this song yesterday, thought of you because of your handle. Then I watched the video and thought of everyone here! Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXe8PFKsOIc

Aruba was great, no real pics just yet, since our camera battery seemed to always be dead when we remembered to want to take pics. So I was forced to just "remember real good". Wink We did meet a couple from Toronto on our sunset dinner cruise who offered to take photos and email them to us once they got home. So let's hope!

The running's been coming back, I'm happy to say, and I even did a long run of 11.4 miles on Sunday in the pouring rain. Felt great in spite of the nasty weather. Then yesterday I ran a speedy 4.5 miles in the wind, and it was good to know my legs weren't trashed from the day before. Now it's back to no running again for a couple days as I recover from the biopsy I had yesterday afternoon. All the more reason to be sharing that video today... free hugs to all.... Smile

Nice going Arla on the win!  Sorry no hot springs soak....but sounds like the rest of the day was perfect!

OM.....great song and video!  Thanks for the hug and I'll send hugs out to evryone also.

Awww...I'm liking the hugs all around theme here Smile.  Very uplifting video...thanks OM!

Arla - woohoooo!!!! AG win for you...what kinda bling did you get?  And good call on avoiding the poison oak!  Oh, and I haven't read the book either...just lifted the quote Wink

Leslie - hate stupid dog owners!  They got more than their share when the clueless genes were passed out!  Sounds like you and Karen are both thinking along the same lines, a truly in synch friendship like that is a treasure.  I’m wrestling w/ train vs. relationship as well.  Gal at church wants to start running, and I think it could be very good for her on many levels.  I’m really struggling w/ giving up my workout time to get her going, and don’t want her to sense that vibe from me.  So hopefully can get a run in before I meet her and dispel all that.

Joe - LOVE that you had to get the other shoe wet Smile.   I'm convinced we are all 40 or 50 something going on about 11...which is just about perfect.

OM - running in the rain...nothing better. Glad your bod held up to the 11+.  That's the sign of a good VC...having such a good time you can't be bothered with the camera batteries.

Ev - looks like you are getting some consistent running in these days.  And the jokester as always.

Hey Stumpy - how are you doing?

Hey Cindy - hows the reduce the work schedule plan going?

A couple of firsts for me yesterday.  Ran 5 miles in the morning, then got started on some ART for my IT band and a glute muscle I can't remember that are both recurring problems. Topped that off with my first ever spin class in the evening.  Seem to be doing pretty well, although where they worked on my leg is feeling pretty bruised and I'm scheduled for another round tomorrow.  Still bike shopping, but think I have it narrowed down and have almost convinced myself to part with the $$'s.  Would like to have a chance to ride it some before my first sprint tri of the yr on 4/10.  Following an olympic tri plan since my running and swimming volumes are already there.  Just need to get the bike piece in place.  

That's all the news that's fit to print. Gotta get some work done so I can pay for my toys Smile   

Progress Trumps Pefection

Congratulations, Arla!!  Sounds like a lovely run/hike, too.  (not!)  Glad you didn't injury yourself right before your big 50-miler.  I would've had to come down there and smack you around if that had happened. Wink

Thanks for the hugs, OM.  I don't have speakers here at work, so will have to check out the video link when I get home.

Hi, Ev!

30 min of stationary cycling followed by 1 hr of core/strength.  Hopefully, the legs don't poop out on me tomorrow like they did last week.

Later, friends ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys! Decent run week last week and a snowy forecast and my farm parts order got backordered (no working weekend whoohoo) so we escaped to RMNPon Saturday. Instead of a long run Sunday I got in a truly awesome AT ski tour to Loch Vale in RMNP.  It was 4 hours uphill with a 40 minute lunch break relaxing session then just over an hour coming down, including some wait time for friends on snowshoes. Incredible snow and backcountry skiing with 6 inches to a foot of new over a solid base, like skiing on whipped cream. It twas' a snowing blowing bastard when we crossed the lake and took shelter in the woods for lunch but temps were mild in the twenties so not so bad. Heavenly in the forest coming back down. Monday morning brought snow and black ice to the Colorado so we decided to sneak in some more snow time in the morning and let the commute crazies play bumper cars on the front range. We went to the now defunct Hidden Valley Ski area in the park borders and I skinned up an hour with a 10 minute trip down and Lynda put some snow under her snowshoes before heading down to reality.

Joe cool you got the other one muddy, break em in right now! Nice Workout!

Carol hope you find a sweet roadbike. My sis had a sweet Trek she did the ride across the state one year, I got to ride it even tho much too big for it what a cool ride. Good luck with the glute IT band thing, seems to be contagious 'round here including myself.

Leslie, you guys good enough friends and open an honest enough with each other to come up with workable solutions to your pace dilema. Sounds like you are well on your way in that regard. And the dog thing, get the strongest canine pepper spray possible and spray in the Stoooopid owner's eyes, but save another can for the aggressor dog. As per the smeellin' the butt thing, Dessa Lou was watching (she really does watch dogs on tv) the Westminisiter Dog show and goes around the back of the tv, Lynda tells me she is trying to find a butt to sniff.lol

Arla, first huge congrats on the AG win, WooHoo then wow gettin' pretty extreme there!

OM, nice 11 miler to get back in the swing. The camera battery thing seems to happen to me all the time I go to RMNP in CO . lol  on the remember really well!!  I think I took 3 pics all during our tour, I couldn't be bothered. Good luck on the biopsy.......

Hey Ev glad u are gettin's some runs in, man you missed a good one this wkend, Ed was our ski "tour" guide.

Cindy hope they let you get a little more run/me time in, spose with high season just beginning hope you can wrangle it!

Snow and cold on the farm today, went to an auction and bought some old equipment to cannabalize for parts. I guess I coulda bought new and standing around at a farm sale all day to save a couple grand is not the best use of my time but I was baptized into this farming life by fire in the early 80's farm crisis so the frugal streak is strong. Hard week ahead to get stuff ready for the field and corn to haul but cold and snow means we are still probably 7 days at least from farming. Glad I have a warm shop. One of these years it will be time to spend our winters not working.............

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim - Glad you and Lynda were able to have some fun before the even harder work begins (I don't think anything you do can not be considered hard).

10 miles w/ladders.  Sing-a-long with me!  What a difference a week made . . .  They were still tough and I still hate them, but I never felt like puking, and only once did I feel like I went way too fast.  Oh, and I'm still able to walk.  Big grin  Major difference from last week.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance