Masters Running

Wednesday, 1.25.17 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good runs/workouts yesterday by Jlynne (5.5 outside), Holly (5 TM), TW (20 min greenway, 40 mi. poolrun), Paul (7.3 intervals outside in singlet), Tet (4.5 walk-a-mute), BerthaSlayer (10 - pyramid hill workout),

I'm glad you're coming back to life, Leslie.

Thanks for the tutorial on keeping cars functioning in the frozen tundra, Evanflein. If I saw all those plug-ins, I'd wonder why there are so many electric cars there.

Good luck at Shiprock, Mike.

Holly, your DD sure keeps your life interesting, doesn't she? I don't know that she should be in trouble for causing an uproar because there was no fight, thus no uproar. If the kids who showed up to see a fight caused an uproar, then aren't they at fault?

Tabata, stairs, and kettle bell, in addition to running, can make for a challenging week, Lori.

Don't let those senior discounts go to your head, Steve.

I woke up late (4:30) this morning, and have been trying to ketchup ever since. Since I got a late start, I had to shorten my workout to 4.3 miles. My damnstring was still achy from yesterday's slush slog, so I took it easy this morning. I had some unanticipated drizzle for the last couple 'o miles, so I'm calling that a minor, unintended violation of TC Rule #1. Meetings galore today, so I'll be on my way.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay

Woke up late at 4:30? Yikes. Oh wait its you nevermind. Hope you can catch up.

Hang in there Holly. She's learning lessons that will serve for the rest of life.

Lots to catch up but work has been busy. Frankly not sure how humans can survive in those low temps but you all sure amaze me down here. I shall not complain about zero degrees ever again!

ran early today as I have a biz trip with flights this afternoon. Interstesting thing I learned about my "new" self. I'm not an evening runner. Ran 4 last night and it was a labor. Ran 4 this morning and it was smooth as silk. Guess I need to get my runs prior to 1pm.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

As the great Steven Wright says, "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up."

Yesterday I stopped at the gym after work and did some ARC trainer & weights.  It was pretty packed so I may have spoke to soon about the thinning crowds.  Luckily, for reasons I don't understand, everyone wants a treadmill or an elliptical so the ARC trainers are always available. There were some distracting people on the ellipticals in the row in front of me. There was a girl going side to side and up and down way more than normal, and then there was a guy who kept bending over 90° and moving his legs real fast.  It was making me dizzy so I tried to focus on the TV in front of me.

This morning I ran 4 miles. 34° and heavy fog.

catwhoorg

Labrat

My daughter managed to give me her stomach bug....

Skipped yesterday (went to bed as soon as my wife got home from work). Going to take today off running and be ready to go back tomorrow.

I did bring my stuff, I just know I am not recovered enough to run.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Both sound like recipes for disaster (or viral videos), Dave.

A quick 3.1 miles for me this morning after helping to get DW installed downstairs for the day.  easy 20 mph sustained as a tailwind going down the lake with the unfortunate corallary headwind on the way back up.  felt good that I didn't give everything back that I got going downwind.

Nice XT routine, Bertha.  I need to work on doing more.

Tet, I will say I've been a life long fisherman, but for some reason, being a fisheries biologist never seemed to increase my catching.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henry, my DW gets senior discounts just by virtue of being with me, even though she hasn't quite hit 60 yet.

Another somewhat carpy day with gray skies, but no wind or drizzle at the time. I actually would prefer something like 20s and snow on the ground -- at least the conditions would match the season! Anyway, I took my neighborhood pavement route for 4 miles at a 10-ish pace. Felt good all the way and may or may not go out for a run tomorrow around the lake.

Hang in there, everybody!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..jay//......this one is a little bit Pricey,

but

look for a hamstring brace that will support the way this one does

https://www.braceshop.com/product/bauerfeind-myotrain-elastic-thigh-brace

I actually

made one using a XXL knee brace with hinges  and three Velcro straps

to give the support

and pulled it up to cover the Hamstring Area

hope it helps

============

sitting it out today,

got a BackSpasm on the same area I had the Shingles,

so

trying to figure out what I did so I DON' DO DAT

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

There were some distracting people on the ellipticals in the row in front of me. There was a girl going side to side and up and down way more than normal, and then there was a guy who kept bending over 90° and moving his legs real fast.  It was making me dizzy so I tried to focus on the TV in front of me.

Thanks for the chuckle!

The Hub is 56 now.  I keep  looking for senior discounts that might be available now.  Although he's totally into saving money, I think this one feels like a low blow. 

Hang in there, Holly.  My only experience is seeing what my parents went through with my brother.  I don't envy you.

t's official - I will survive.  Back to work today.  Thankfully I didn't have the pukes or poops with this, just body aches, fever, and coughing, etc.

So it looks like we'll be trying Prozac for our kitty, Wilson.  Over the past year+ we've been dealing with an over-grooming issue with him, meaning he has groomed certain areas of his body hairless - his entire belly and the insides of the thighs of his back legs and spots on his front legs. I don't believe it's allergies because his diet hasn't changed, and until last October he had actually lessened the licking and had grown back some nice fuzz on his belly.  And then we were gone for 8 days in October, had a different house-sitter, and it intensified all over again.  Poor guy, he's a very nervous cat and is always trying to lick us, too.  He licked himself so much awhile back, he actually licked off half of a nipple - I kid you not.  

Took him to the vet and she said there wasn't much we could do besides trying to get him to wear a sweater until he forgets about licking or trying a small amount of Prozac for awhile.  The sweater won't work, so we're going to try the Prozac, so long as there are no negative side affects.  If there aren't, he'll be on it for probably 5-6 months to try and break the habit.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure he started all of this when we were gone to Africa for 3 weeks.  Poor Wilson.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Poor nervous kitty!

Dave, nice description of the over zealous elliptical users!

I took my dog and went up to Cougar Mtn.  No, I don't think cougars visit that mountain, it's too suburban, but you never know!  We did 5 miles, for our fat butts.  Time to shed my winter weight!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tramps

Internet!

We don't have cable in my area, so we're dependent on DSL for internet access and...you guessed it...we lost our phone service on Sunday, which is huge deal when you work from home.  We didn't get things cleared up until just now (knock on wood). Tribee's traveling for work this week so I was the one stuck at home waiting for the @#$% technician to show up. They kept pushing back the day/window they were supposed to come out and I didn't dare leave until they did. No phone and no internet really limited the work I could do.  You don't realize how dependent you are until it's gone.  First world problems, I know.

On the plus side, the house is really clean now.

ETA: It's 70F here now.  Crazy.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I am beat up from yesterday's hill workout so I bailed on my daughters for the stair workout class. They can keep each other company. In the meantime I have a 4 mile recovery run to attempt. It will be at least one mile as I need to keep my mini streak going. It is day 30 for me. It is my record. I should be able to keep this streak going until at least next Thursday when hubby and I head south for vacation.Cuba. It is an early 25th anniversary gift to each other.  That will be the test for sure. Because who wants to run when they are laden with food and adult bevs. Although maybe that will in fact be the incentive to run at least one mile a day. Problem is that I can't run well on sand. We shall see. All I know is that there better be SUN. I miss that yellow ball in the sky.

Catwhoorg I hope you feel better.

Holly I am glad my kids are no longer teens. My eldest was a horrible teen. Now she is mellowing. But she is 32 so she is getting old herself. It should get better.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

5.0 mile walk-a-mute.
                          40o / cloudy .
                          Getting back into the swing of things adding the additional 0.5 miles

onto yesterday’s more direct route of 4.5 miles to avoid the urbany,

drug-infested alleys along the shorter route and divert

through Daejong Sister City Park and Pavillion instead.  Much nicer.
                          Senior discounts

Since a stranger had guessed my age at the time (63) on the nose for the first time in my life not being assumed to be younger than I was, I should have realized it wasn’t going to do any good.but I hung back a ways when I realized the young kid in front of me was going to hold open the heavy, 8'x4' iron-cast bank door for me. It didn’t work. However, I had to admit I kind of appreciated it and now I’ll even speed up to have someone do it.
                          The worst was an earlier experience at a grocery check-out during a visit up in GS-land way before his time and while catching up with three other high school classmates who had coincidentally all converged at the checkout together.  None of us looked that old yeet back then so, when I paid the register amount before the tax had been calculated in, everyone thought it really funny that I, still the youngest looking one in the group ever since winning The Least category in our high school beard-growing contest at age 18, was asked if I had a senior discount card.  They still tease me.  Don’t mind it a bit any more though.

TM - nice try dave but I still won't use 'em.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tabata, stairs, and kettle bell, in addition to running, can make for a challenging week, Lori.

Indeed!  And enjoy your vacation!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

No phone and no internet really limited the work I could do.  You don't realize how dependent you are until it's gone.  First world problems, I know.

On the plus side, the house is really clean now.

But I am totally with you. No internet is a huge inconvenience, both at work and when I am working from home.

Kitty on Prozak - hope it helps

Today was my turn for parent duty to provide the meal for the BB team after school and before they got on the bus to head out for their away game.  I took the afternoon off, bought 5 fresh loaves of Italian bread, ham, turkey, salami, roast beef, ham, and several kinds of sliced cheese, and made giant subs, which I sliced diagonally and wrapped, and served with toppings and condiments separately (they are girls, after all), along with chips, sliced oranges, and cookies.  The coach said to plan to feed 15, but I planned on 20.  The girls were very polite, and all thanked me, a couple saying I had "really stepped up."  I think perhaps some of the parents were guilty of not bringing enough food. These girls can really eat, so I knew better than to leave them hungry. 

DD received 3 days of In-School-Suspension, which means she sits in a room at school separated from the other kids, but is allowed to complete her classwork.  She was not allowed to play in tonight's BB game, and may be kicked off the team.  I will know that tomorrow. I hope not, as being on the basketball team is the most positive thing she has going right now.

{{{Catwhoorg}}}

{{{Mariposai}}}

6.2 miles for me today, followed by about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--I hope everything works out for your DD.  I've never agreed with punishing a kid by taking away a sports or any extra curricular activity...like you said...it's the one positive thing she has going.

I had to rush home and get to my run, tonight, so I could go with Debbie on her...I don't know...third...fourth birthday dinner.  Anyway, I did a mile warm up 6 miles at a modified tempo pace and a 1 mile cool down for a total of 8 miles.

So, I was just about home and I was running on the shoulder facing traffic and took a left turn, staying close to the curb and still facing traffic.  An SUV was taking a right and, as he turned, he just about ran me over.  I had to jump to the left a little and I turned and give him a dirty look as he drove down the street.  I couple minutes later I hear a vehicle come up and a guy say, "Are you alright sir?  I am very sorry.  That was my bad.  Is everything okay?"  It was the kid in the SUV--he must have been 16 or 17 years old and I was I was so impressed that he took the time to turn around and come find me to apologize.  I told him everything was okay and I told him I appreciated it.  I have been almost hit many many times in my days, but nobody has ever come to apologize...and it was a kid.  Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!