Masters Running

Tuesday, May 20th Daily (Read 548 times)

...vista//........My Dad was/and is into Pumping Iron since the 60s, Mom has been Walking for about 20-years+ (we think she's somewhere near Patagonia by now ,,,,,,sorry, couldn't resist) I grew up watching ''Jack Lalane'' on TV and reading ''Strength and Health'' Magazine.... (and actually know who Bernarr MacFadden was) ...but Claire has a Running GrandDaddy...... ====== ........25min HeavyHands non-run workout............just taking it easy, StreetRun Tomorrow..... ....................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Roch, I doubt we even gave you a scare even when it was 3-2. Vista, I have no clue on those teams. Enlighten us. No other runners in my family except for my wife and my brother in law. Some of you know who he is. Inspired by my running he took it up himself and hasn't missed a day in over 30 years. Today's run: 3 miles along the ocean in Long Beach, WA. Miserable, rainy day but happy to get a short run in. This is a cutback week and I am not going to mess around with it. Off to work. Hi Karin! Spareribs
        Vista- interesting start to this morning's thread. I am pretty sure neither the Mets nor the Rays have had a no hitter. Nice to be back.
        You are right......The Mets and Devil Rays are TWO of the teams without a no hitter, but there are actually two more and we are not counting the Washington Nationals as their record carries over from their Expo's days. I will give a bit longer into the day to reveal the other two........just for those who enjoy guessing. And by the way.......good to have you back
        Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jlynne - We have very nice adoptive families all selected for all but 2 little boys. Any takers?? Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hey....... I appreciate all the concern on my finger. I COULD pull out selective "hearing" about now and pretend I don't hear any of you, but I won't do that. Yesterday as I went out to prune these particular bushes, I WASHED THE BLADES of the pruning shears. Of note is that I have NEVER done anything like that before? Premonition? I don't know. I think God was just helping me out knowing I needed all the help I could get. Anyway, this might have meant a cleaner cut The second good thing (or bad thing maybe) is that these are fairly sharp shears. They cut bushes clean and easy. I THINK that was good in this case. I washed the finger area well, put peroxide on it and then have used neosporin to cover it. The area has sealed over and looks clean. Again, I think this is good. On everyone's suggestion here, I have contacted a nurse friend who actually has a specialty of dealing with "wounds". She will take a look at my finger later to see if she thinks it needs any further or different attention. Thanks again for the concern. I promise to stay away from any thing sharp over the next few days. Joey
            Vista
            dg.

good morning Smile Vista, I wonder if one of those 'hydrocolloidal gel' type bandages would be good for your finger. I had amazing success with one on a wide & deep abrasion. I also think it might be good to have it looked at. Bill, just the way you like it. Big grin good morning Mary! -) Mike, good for you. seems you broke it. Sue, I had the exact same puppy belly thoughts. Mary, some for me too. I talked to a PT (runner) this morning & he agreed with your sports medicine guy re track direction. I've been thinking, (!), maybe it's not a problem unless you have some pre-existing structural / gait problems, which I do. Seems the margin for error would be smaller. Teresa, another good luck for tomorrow! {{{erica's feet!}}} SR, good boy. ... did I hear something about toast?? Neither of my parents ran but my dad was very involved with gymnastics, weightlifting, & handbalancing. he took us to 'the gym' every Friday night & we worked out, this was before gymanstics was very popular. on the way home we'd pick up pizza, then go home & watch 'the man from uncle'. Smile. Here's a picture of him... I posted this a long time ago on CR, but he's been so discouraged lately, he tries so hard to exercise but has so many things that hurt & don't work. Gives up for a while, then regroups & tries again. just like us. He'll really like it if I tell him I bragged about him, so here it is. he's the one on the bottom.
                People! Before we play baseball trivia, some propers for Jon Lester and the Sox! Backround: I sat at my desk in late summer of 06 in tears. I read the Globe online most days, and that day the headline news in sports was that our then-22 year old promising young pitcher, Jon Lester, had just been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and would not be finishing the season in the bigs, but was scheduled to begin chemotherapy. He started it in Boston, then returned home to Washington State to continue his treatment at home. He returned in the 07 season--the 1st game he pitched when he came back was televised, his parents were there, and again, most Sox fans ended up with wet eyes. Then he pitched the clincher in the 07 Series. Now a no-hitter. And just in case the story seems too made up to be true, add in that everyone who knows him talks about what a modest, unassuming just plain nice guy he is. I was listening on XM radio last night, then figured ESPN would cut in as the 9th inning unfolded, and sure enough, it was on TV. Sox fans stood through the inning. I think Terry Francona (Sox manager) was in tears when he embraced Lester when he rushed to the mound after the last strike. Mike Lowell, another cancer survivor and our 3rd baseman, was right there, as was the entire team. Life is good. grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                TammyinGP

belly farts . . . that's cute. I've been lurking and seeing all those cute photos of the pups. in our family, we call "farts" - butt burps - always have. That is really the only term my son knows for that. I always thought "fart" sounded so vulgarish - didn't like the word - so we made up butt burps instead. but belly farts sounds cute. No runners in my family either. Dad was never an exerciser - just whatever exercise he got doing stuff around the yard, working in his shop, etc. Mom would exercise once inawhile to a Jack LaLane type show, or we'd take our dogs for walks. That was about it back then. Now my mom exercises - works out at a Curves 3x/wk and has done so for 5 yrs. never missing a workout. I have one brother and his exercise is biking. He lives and works in downtown Mpls and that is his sole mode of transportation - so he gets lots of biking in. My running has been 'meh' lately. I've been getting in 3-4 days a week - but all shorter runs, so only around 18-20 a week. Will try a 9ish mile run this weekend though - first longer run since Eugene. Have a good day everyone.

Tammy

dg.

Hi Tammy. Good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you are. Amy, what a great story! TW, my dad read Strength & Health magazine too. Pategonia. Roll eyes good luck tomorrow. forgot to post my run. changed directions at the track & it did seem easier on my knee. being careful. run was 3.19 miles, 11:15 average pace. hr about the usual.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - tell your dad I think he's a stud-muffin....verrrrry nice legs.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

2k warm up then 3X400 at 1:30 each with 1 minute rest then 4X1K at 4:26, 3;57, 3:54, 3:46 with 1 minute rest 2k cool down

Recent Best times: None recently

Mary - ooooh - puppy belly!! Thanks! I agree with you about people being friendly (or at least civil). That's one of my pet peeves right now. I try not to take it personally, but it still aggravates me. I started giving Jesse belly farts when she was a wee puppy. It didn't take her long to figure out that she had to guard her belly whenever Mom rolled her over on her back. Now she loves the attention and just lays back and surrenders. It's not as much fun when the puppy is 10 months old ;-). Jeanne - we're not as cold as you, but we did dip into the 30's last night. Almost time to put the house plants out for the summer. Tom White - very funny! dg - awesome picture of your Dad - those are some strong legs!! I haven't thought about the Man From Uncle for years. Amy - yes, life is indeed good! Nice story - thanks for sharing. Joey - I'll bet your finger will survive without Mayo Clinic intervention. Sounds like there wasn't much left to sew together, and as long as you keep it clean and dry, you should be okay. Assuming you are up to date on your tetanus immunization? More of a concern with a puncture-type wound, but still a consideration.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning All, Speed day for me today. 1.5 mile wu then 6x800m w/400m recoveries. The 800 times were 3:47, 3:55, 3:55, 3:53, 3:57, 3:56. Total was 6 miles in 55:27 (9:15/mile pace). After taking Rib's advice about running the day after a long run and then taking a rest day yesterday, my legs felt great this morning. Neither of my parents were runners. My father played basketball in high school and the Navy, but was inactive most of his life. He did walk in later years. My mother was more active. She bowled and played golf most of her life. She too walked in later years. My mother was of the generation that believed women should not run. In her words "it is bad for the female organs." My father loved to watch track and field on TV and during the Cold War years we would always go to the USA vs. USSR track meet at the LA Coliseum. We also saw the US Olympic Trials there a few times. While my parents did not run, they always encouraged me in my running. Have a great day All. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon to all. out for another 3.2 miles lake loop this morning in just over 30 minutes. about a minute faster than the last and no need to stretch partway through. Icing after and I hope it continues. I'm figuring another week or so of this nice level distance to make sure I'm healing well and then add some distance and elevation. My mom wasn't much for exercising while I was growing up, but now goes to a class a couple of times a week. the only sport I knew that my dad did was softball in a church league. my only remembrance of that was him tossing his cigarette in the grass when he went up to bat Dead Since he passed away at 38 from a heart attack (and I've already past that age) it's a big inspiration for keeping me in shape. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

DG.. wow, strong dad! Cute pups Mary.. we can watch them grow the last few days! Back in WV for more hill work (I mean work work or both actually). Really hammered them there hills today. That 7 mile route with the 400 ft hill during mile 2 (and miles 3.5-5) had me gasping for air but I beat my prior times by 2 minutes (59:06, 8:23 pace.... mile 2 was 10:20 and mile 6 was 7:02!). Really felt good after it was done. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova