Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.21.18 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm not a church-goer, but I went to church this morning - sort of: The local Methodist church has a men's group that meets once a month, and they invited me to come to speak to the group at their breakfast meeting this month. We talked about my esturary-centric non-profit group - how/why it was founded and what we do. And we talked about the growing problem of flooding in our estuary and our town, including the causes, what is being done about it, and related issues and other possible solutions. We talked for about an hour, and could have kept going, but they had to break 'cause their services were going to start soon. It was a good, lively conversation.

Evanflein, I suspect my quad problem was caused by too much running, which works the quads more than racewalking. Two days earlier this week, when there was still snow on the ground, I did a fair amount of running because I couldn't get enough traction for racewalking. I ran more on those two days than I usually do in a month. Hence, I think, the problem.

I went 7.4 relatively-EZ RW miles this morning at 4:15 in 30° temps. I felt the quad just a little bit, so I went for a consistent pace without regard to speed, but was still a scootch faster than yesterday, so good stuff.

OK - gotta go. Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sounds like an interesting meeting Jay!!

3.2 miles outside then Body Pump. Now time to get ready for church then GOOOOOO PATS!!!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - nice to see you back!

Surly Bill - what does a drug addict want with organic juices?

Toothache pain is such a drag, and the pain in the jaw where the implant was feels just the same.  I had to pair the pain pills with 800mg Motrin and even that didn't completely get rid of the ache in the afternoon/evening when it is the worst.  Now my 2.5 days' prescription of pain pills is gone and I am just on the Motrin.  And it still hurts.  I know, wah, wah, wah.  I hate dental pain.

I did get out to take advantage of the warm temps (43 degrees) because I can't bear to spend another day being a sludge.

6.5 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...holly//........have you tried a Heating Pad??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Surly Bill - what does a drug addict want with organic juices?

That was the discussion at home; that if they had stolen the previous ones and tasted them, why would they steal subsequent ones? 

Seriously, it's probably because it's not bolted down, and since it's delivered it must be of value in their mind so it's automatically taken. We can't have a garden hose in front of the house, either.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

That sounds interesting and worthwhile, Jay.  Glad you got to speak to/with that group.

Finally got myself out the door about 11 and drove to the path for some flatness.  7.3 reluctant miles, but it feels great when it's over!  It was 61 and partly cloudy, which felt downright strange after the bitter cold we've been having.  There were a lot of people out enjoying the day- families with kids on bikes, dogs etc.   Got it done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, hard time falling asleep last night (not sure why) so didn't get up early to run.  I did meet a small group (4 of us) for the Sunday morning coffee ride.  Easy pace.  I pulled quite a bit since the spin class is at least better than nothing.  Called the coffee ride since we'll stop at Starbucks or Dunkin' Doughnuts late in the ride.  That was 19.5 miles total.  Around lunch time I went for my run.  In the 60s by then.  First 10 miles were fine, last 3.5 were Gallowalked (although mostly run).  More folks than I usually see were out.

RunnerKSA, they surprised me with the Pearl hire.  And it didn't look good with the events of September (the scandal with the assistant coaches--including Chuck Person--and the agents/shoe companies etc).

Have a great day everyone!

. . . running. . .  fair amount of running . . .  ran more on those two days  . .  .

I have no idea how to process what I have read.  My image of you . . . well . . . I . . . just . . . can't . . .  

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I'm still laughing about Tet's karate story and getting kicked by his little sister.  Never challenge a younger sibling... And the slalom at the bus stop must've raised some eyebrows.

Jay, hadn't thought of that, but then I suffered terribly with sore calves from (I suspect) the hotel elliptical that had a shorter stride length than I'm used to. Hope you're better soon. Good job this morning, did you stay for services?

So glad to hear Mike E isn't getting sucked in...

We watch our local team (UA Fairbanks Nanooks) hockey, volleyball and some basketball. DH is a UA grad 2x over (U Arizona and U Alaska Fairbanks) so we watch a lot of Wildcats basketball and football on cable but don't have too much interest in much else. We'll watch the Super Bowl just cuz it's a good opportunity to snuggle on the couch and eat snacks.  As a descendant of Minnesotans though, I'd have to root for the Vikings.

Good for you for getting out there, Holly. Sorry you're still having so much mouth pain but you're right, it affects everything: eating, talking, sleeping... Hope it gets better soon.

Falcon, I'm going to have to remember that tactic line. Our consultant always reminds our management that Hope is not a strategy so now I have a good add on.

Nothing for me yesterday other than marathon shopping, some shoveling and a movie with DH. We did see The Post and really enjoyed it. I was surprised by all the smoking though, but I guess it was pretty commonplace in the late 60's/early 70's. I highly recommend it. Today I'm heading to the pool for some pool running. Shin is better but still sore when pressed or going downstairs. COLD today, with -25° temps in town and -15° here at the house. Brrrr.

Tramps

I've had to work through the weekend but I just took a break to get my 5-mile run done in amazing 68F weather. Toasty.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

So glad to hear Mike E isn't getting sucked in...

Me, too - whew!

Falconfixer - you must be in phenomenal shape.

Leslie -

Erika - hope that shin clears up.  You still in for The Pig?  I'm getting ready to register before the end of the month.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I cannot tell you how nervous I am about this game, today.  I can't even allow myself to believe they will win.  I really don't see anybody beating the Patriots, either.

I won't even get to watch the whole game.  We have to got to Eric's house and deal with his dog.  Eric is going into an in-patient treatment facility, tomorrow and the only way to get him to agree to go was to promise to take care of his dog.  This dog was dropped off at his house over a year ago by a "friend" who took it out of a junkyard.  It trusts nobody but Eric and has been known to bite people.  Eric, of course, loves this dog and refuses to get rid of it.  I was going to stay at his house and take care of it but this house stinks because the dog pees and craps in the house.  It has never had any shots.  I have been stressing about this for two weeks when I agreed to do this.  Debbie was talking to a lady at church about it, today, and she has agreed to go with us and see if she thinks she can take it to her house while Eric is in treatment.  So--even though there are some hurdles to jump with her talking it--at least, there is some hope.

I ran an easy 6 miler, today.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

7.3 @ 8:12 (impatience to get it done).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

....Good Luck mikeE//.....take a pork chop........

===========

40-min x-bike.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike, that is great that Eric is going for treatment but the predicament with the dog is unfortunate. I hope that the lady will be able to help. Can't  record the game? I have the DVR set for MrStarr since he is out of the country. I actually talked to him this afternoon on WhatsApp and they might be able to get the game on WiFi at the mission in Guatemala.  He sounded super excited about being a part of this trip and hopes I can go along next year. Oh, he found his meds too after I told him that they weren't here. It seems I am always finding things for him.

There was a lot of purple in church today.  My shins were sore today (I told you I was out of shape) so I just walked the same route as yesterday.  2 1/2 miles, sunny and breezy. A storm is coming with 8-12 inches over the next 24 hours and winds up to 31, gusts to 41.  We hired someone to plow the driveway but I have no idea when he will get here.  Something tells me I will be late for work tomorrow.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich