Masters Running

Sunday 1/20/19 Freezing Runs and Workouts (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

The wind howled around the house last night, and we got maybe 6 inches of snow on top of the layer of ice that was laid as the temperatures dropped.  I stepped out on the deck last evening to put a trash bag in the can and nearly skittered across it.  8 degrees when I got up, the high is forecast to be 13 and will drop tonight to 10 below.  Brr...Plus, I have definitely picked up DD's cold, with coughing and a very sore throat.  Bleck.  Hitting it with Zicam every few hours in hopes of minimizing it.

5 miles on the TM, followed by 25 minutes on the recumbent bike.  This gives me 36.5 miles this week, which is the highest mileage week in several months.

Stay warn out there, folks...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Thanks for getting us started, Holly. Sorry about picking up the cold.

Mike--I hope Ryan's hip improves enough for you to do the race together. (That's some chilly temps up there, too.)

Just rain for us overnight, which melted all our snow. Very comfortable low-40s this morning for a 5K run.

Howling winds now, though, and temps are supposed to plummet. With all this wind, power's already gone out once, briefly. I suspect we'll see a more significant outage before the day is through. (Sigh.)  Hopefully, I'll get to watch the Pats win later.

Hang in there.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Congrats on the weekly high mileage, Holly. Good call to finish it up indoors.

Glad you got your run in this morning, Tramps. Sorry about the power outage. I hope that was the last of it.

I went out at 5:30 to try for a workout, but didn't make it past the neighbor's driveway. With the roads snow-covered and slick, plow guys racing up and down them to get to their next job, and sleet making things more slippery, it just didn't seem like it would be fun or worth the risk. So I cam back home, made some coffee, and waited till after daylight to start snowblowing and shoveling. I've got 2 miles of that cross-training done, and may get in another round before this storm leaves us later this afternoon, only to be replaced by those same howling winds and dropping temps. We're hoping to avoid losing power overnight.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I Happy Sunday everyone. Holly- thanks for the start and so sorry you’ve picked up the crud that’s been going around. Take it easy today.

The storm hitting the East Coast looks wicked. I hope your power stays on Jay and Tramps. And good luck with the wind and ice.

Mike - I was so sad to read about Ryan’s hip. Hopefully it’s just a temporary setback.

Enjoy that hat warm weather Starr!

it was 2 degrees here this morning. At least the sun is out 😎. The Y doesn’t open until 7 on Sunday so D-H and I went to church first. I’ll head over there shortly.

And speaking of power, we went out for breakfast after mass. Right after the server brought our food, the entire restaurant went dark!  Apparently someone hit a power pole and it was out for a few miles down the street. Since their computer system was also down they offered us a free meal. I had $20 in my pocket though so the server got a nice tip!

...we Lucked Out on the Snow Fall,

but

the 14-degree WindChill made me Chicken Out today

================

...40-min NordicTrak.....

hitting the soccerfields tomorrow

...............Good Work-Outs to Ya..........watch yer Footing.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56lcqdGAa4

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Holly, and good job on the mileage.   Mike-  fingers crossed for good recovery for Ryan's hip.

Jay- good call to go back inside.  That sounds dangerous and NOT fun at all.

We have snow!  A dusting, which we consider quite the event.  It's windy and very cold, so treadmill for me.  4.6 slow miles- didn't feel great but wound up with a 31 mile week which is my highest since the pneumonia started.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Rest day for me. Pretty boring day. The most exciting thing is a Twitter conversation about how you draw an "X".  Here it is if you're bored.  I use technique #5.

https://twitter.com/SMASEY/status/1086844761040924672

Draw an X

Mike E

MM #5615

I do 8...like most Americans.  What is wrong with you, Dave?

Marathon Maniac #957

Nope.  #7 for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

#7 for me as well. Good job on the mileage Holly!

Another 4.3 miles on the treadmill today. I’d guess the total snowfall to be around 8”. But the neighborhood streets are a mess and I don’t see them as runnable right now 😕 Of course the single digit temps aren’t exactly calling me either.

Anne

MarathoninginMT

I love the title of this thread.  I ran 6.12 miles this morning and I didn't need gloves, a hat, multiple layers, spikes, etc.  It was lovely.  And at SEA LEVEL.  Air is a beautiful thing.   This is my first time to the island of Kauai and so far I love it.  Way less crazy than Maui or even the Kona side of the Big Island.  I am about 20 hours into this vacation and so far, still dry for dry-January.

It is 33F and snowing in Missoula.  

Joe618

Holly, thanks for the start!   A solid mileage week for you...thinking you need some Vicks on your feet now??!!

Mike, you had a terrific run.   But sorry to hear of Mike's hip...yeow.   Hope that's temporary and doesn't take away your marathon plans.

Tramps, sorry, but I'm pulling for the Chiefs.   One of us will be happy....

Jay, you made a wise call.   Just isn't worth the risk on these gnarly days.

Jlynne, sweet decision on the tip...good for you.   You may have made that server's day.

Montana, you are happy in Hawaii!   Be dry and happy, good for you!   Enjoy the warmth!!!!

A dusting of snow in Nashville...horrors!   I'm sure that messes things up big time on all your hills, KSA.   Glad to see your miles up as you crawl back to good health.   And welcome home!!

Thanks a lot for the insight into Life On A Treadmill.    That helps.   Especially the reminder to hydrate.   It's warm and dry in that room, as most gyms and I forget that.

Today, the Hansons called for an 8 mile "Long Run" which meant in their language about 45 sec/mile slower than target marathon pace.   The temps were 10F with a modest north wind this morning.   The bigger question was footing, as the streets were still snowpacked and icy after the 7" of snow yesterday.   So, out I went anyway, wearing screw shoes and decided to just do the best I could, speed wise.   I did get the full 8 miles in but it was slower than I would have liked, due to the footing.   Where I could (i.e. clear pavement), I was easily able to get to the target pace but the aggregate pace was 20 sec too slow.   No worry.   Today was a day to just get in the miles.   38+ for the week, so that's encouraging.

Have a greta week all!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

We've been getting slammed with rain.  Even though we have drains on our downspouts to move the water away from the house, the ground is so saturated, we're now having to use the sump pump . . . or rather The Hub is having to use the pump. Happy Birthday to him!

Mike - Hopefully Ryan doesn't have a stress fracture or something like that.  I'm assuming he moved home awhile back??

Vicks on the soles of the feet?  Hmmmm . . . .

I got my hair cut and colored yesterday.  I feel like a new woman!  Although sitting for 2 hrs was a challenge.  Thankfully, she let me get up whenever I needed to, but by the time she was done, I was done.  I head back to work tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm going to ask again about working from home, as well, until I'm able to be there full time.

12 pregnant obstetrics nurses from the same hospital?  Wow! How're they gonna deal with that?

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

We got about 3 inches followed by sleet. So, no running, but walked to the local cinema to see “Roma” a film sure to win an Oscar for best foreign film. It’s in black and white and projected in 70mm. With surround sound. It’s more of a meditation than a drama. Now on to the more mundane Pats game. Very deep freeze expected overnight and I’ll be singing in the morning with a choral group in a MLK concert.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Call me a 7 too, . . .

Even though there's no "x" in either language,

it's the same stroke order as Chinese/Japanese

calligraphers do for the "x" parts of certain characters,

e.g. father - 父 .

Good job on being safe, jay.

I love shoveling snow but lots of older folks

who don't do it that much die when they

think they can still do it non-stop like their

younger days so everybody please be cautious.

Mike - with all that was going on yesterday for you,
                                good job on remembering Debbie’s birthday.
                                Did you need to get a present other than dinner?
                                Steve - in case you can get back to the daily recaps for tomorrow, adding ‘em all up for the last couple of days was kind of difficult but, I think it’s been about 100 miles or so and 10-or-32 thousand stairs, . . . I think. Thanks.
                                Full moon struggling to stay visible this morning through hazy clouds but it didn’t last long as the cloud cover built up, thereby much sealing the fate of seeing this evening’s full lunar eclipse.

Otherwise, two mile lakeside run as the moon slipped out of sight and then laboriously spending another 2 miles criss-crossing up-and-down on the six stairways (34, 57, 13, 110, 51, and 310 stairs, respectively), built into the hillside where needed between the two parallel trails across the top and bottom of the hillside (1,732 stairs total) to figure out a route maximizing ascending stairs and minimizing going down, mostly by utilizing narrow, little walking and dog paths alongside some of them and looping back to the 13 stair connection as much as possible.  

. . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)