Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.18.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:

Tomwhite (4 hrs hiking (clomping) in 90° heat)

Marj (run to the bike store, than 8 mile detour to home, both with helmet)

RunnerKSA (3.1 pre-work miles in warm weather)

Tet (5 miles under threatening but dry skies)

dg. (4.31 morning miles with windage and hillage)

Fatozzig (40 min of core/ST)

Holly (4.3 morning FL miles)

Stumpy (1 mile airport walk - whoopee)

Wildchild (10.25 trail miles, pre-snow)

Fatozzig (2.25 miles of jogging/walking)

StarrRuns (arm exercises and clarinet workout)

Tammy (4 nighttime miles)

Evanflein (10.1 miles from work to home at a fast clip)

Good clomping, Tomwhite!

You’re a character, Marj. I wonder what the other runners thought about a helmeted runner.

Good luck to your son, RunnerKSA!

Sorry, dg, but I can’t help with any experience with a egoscue tower. But good luck with it if you sign up for one.

Nothing like laptop ants, eh Fatozzig? Congrats on the jog/walk!!

I’m glad you made your flight, Holly, and got home safely.

I’m sorry about your ongoing back issues, Dave. I have a town forest clean-up coming in a few weeks - thanks for making me nervous about it.

Snow, Wildchild?? SNOW? Yikes. Bummer about the propane issue. It’s a good thing you like camping.

I’m sorry your running buddy wasn’t out, Mike, but you probably needed the rest too.

I’m glad you didn’t get hammered by the storms, Starr.

Tammy, didn’t I just read a story about your town, and how the unwillingness to impose new property taxes was causing services to shut down? I’m glad all 3 measurers passed this time. It may be a financial burden for some, but it also may save the town.

Evanflein, NH also gets a bit bone-headed when it comes to talk about an income tax. It’s nice not to have it (or a sales tax), but that doesn’t mean all our finances are well-covered.

I had started doing ‘bicycle’ exercises (on my back, bike leg rotations, using elbows too) a couple of weeks ago for core and hip work. But I was still achy, and getting a little more so. So I stopped doing that exercise a couple of days ago, and I feel a lot better. Weird. So I'm back to doing crunches, which don't create discomfort.

I went 6.9 RW miles in 67° weather, under a half moon, and with the sun rising. This was my warmest workout since probably early October. But I felt good, and I pushed the pace a bit, and still felt good. I'm starting to see more early-morning vehicle traffic as we get closer to summer, and the snow-birds and tourists return; there must have been a dozen cars out there this morning! One year to a new AG.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay!  You are the BEST!

4.1 miles done.      2 1/2 more after work on the treadmill.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.  Interesting.  I do those bicycle w/ elbows to opposite knee things. I've always heard they're safer than crunches for your back. YMMV, I guess.

Leslie--ewww on the ants. Hope they recede.  I suspect our weird mild winter will also mean extra insects this summer.  I heard a news story that the cicadas in nearby areas are showing up 3 or 4 years early due to the warmer weather.  Good to see you jogging/walking!

Holly and Stumpy--hey, at least neither of you got dragged off your plane.  The bar for a "successful" flight keeps getting lower.

Dave--geez, real labor sounds tough.  Stick to running.

Wildchild--mindboggling that we're in the 90s and you're prepping for snow.  We ran the numbers on our tank and figured it was worth just buying it and having the freedom to change dealers as needed.

Starr--there's a difference between hockey I care about (which is over) and the other stuff (which isn't).  Though I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Pittsburgh get a drubbing last night.    Good luck with the dental work.  Yuck.

Tammy--congrats on the election results.  I'm sure that was a lot of work for you.

Erika--hope all the aches clear out.

Rest day yesterday with record-setting heat in the mid-90s.  EZ 5 miler today as we head back to the 90s.  I need to have some patience while I see if fewer miles and more rest helps my knee situation. Right now, ironically, it just feels like a taper before a marathon when everything's a little achy and out of sorts.

ETA: Sorry to hear about Chris Cornell's death.  Always liked the band and his various solo efforts.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Jay, I can't recall if I linked a story about our community before or not? perhaps.   I know these new taxes will impose a burden for some, but in the grand scheme of things, our county pays some of the lowest taxes of all those in Oregon.  The animal levy (a renewal, not new) is only costing the average homeowner about $1-$1.50/month), the safety levy is more and will cost about $15-$18/month and I'm not sure on the library. I wasn't paying attention to that one as much as far as actual breakdown of cost. I just voted for it because I feel libraries are valuable. 

I was shocked to hear of Chris Cornell's death. Way back in my Seattle days, I was actually friends with his brother Peter, so through him became semi-familiar with Chris although at that time he was traveling, touring, do his own thing that he wasn't around as much. Such a talented family all around. 

hotter today, probably low 80's. Will run again after work.

Tammy

Thanks for all the LOVE the other day!!  I LOVE this running community!!

Tramps - I was going to say the same thing -- hard to believe Wild is dealing with another snowstorm while we are on day 2 of 90's!!

Personally, I LOVE the 90's, but my dh is miserable as he does electrical work outside in this and all types of weather!!

1600m swim, 10 minutes pool running. No 12 hour shift today but went to church, prayer group and now time with my grandbabies!!

Maria is right here on her bike with her helmet on and I think she wants Nonna to get a move on!!

denise

Lots of drama here lately, from Holly's travels to wild's snow and propane. But I think everyone here is a lot tougher than the norm and we always manage to get through.

I've felt like a bit of a prisoner in the house this week due to having to be home with the various workmen. Well, today they finished until coming back Monday for the really major stuff, but I just couldn't get up the ambition for a bike ride this afternoon. Something about mid-80s with a 20mph wind just doesn't seem like a good idea when I'm not acclimated to the heat. Besides, it promises to be about 30 degrees cooler tomorrow and I have the whole day...

Right now the air around here is alive with maple seed spinners, cottonwood fluff, and pollen. The pollen not only coats everything like our car that we had to park outside, but it also apparently gets through the screens and leaves light dust on everything inside as well. A major cleanup will be in order once our construction work is done!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Sorry some of you are dealing with the heat!  I'll take the snow, thank you very much.  We have about 18" so far, and it's supposed to snow for another day.  We've already plowed and shoveled once so far and I expect we'll need to do another couple of rounds.  Yes, we have a woodstove, and it's very cozy inside by the fire!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I'm so behind here at work, so gotta make it quick.

Tammy - I've glad the levies passed. I often wonder how people think government entities are supposed to do everything the citizenry wants done when the citizenry doesn't want to help pay.  We are in desperate need for road repair all over Humboldt County (besides other things, of course).  Last I heard, approximately $130 mill worth.  But are people will have pay a less than $1 gas tax for the road repair?  Nope.  Boggles the mind.

I'm feeling none the worse for my 2 miles last evening and did about an hour of core/ST this morning.

Also - imagine my great delight when I looked at the calendar last night and saw that my cortisone shot is scheduled for June 9 and not June 23, which is what I had in my head for some unknown reason.  I actually got a little giddy!

Sounds like I'll be working with The Hub at one of his big jobs this weekend.  *sigh*  I know what that means - a lot of weed-pulling, raking, filling garbage can with debris, hauling and dumping, and bending and squatting - - great cross-training!! 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Welcome back Holly (and Mike)

and happy May birthday to Starr too.

five miles under thinning

but still thorough cloud cover.

Amy’ed a couple of roses

out over the sidewalk.

marj - no bike helmet for me today but tomorrow’s annual Bike-to-Work Day has become a Bike-to-Everywhere Day so I’ll at least try to make it to the Starbucks Headquarters aid station for my annual cup of their otherwise ridiculously expensive coffee. Any bike days anywhere else?

Incidentally, since triathlons require wearing a bike helmet at all times on the cycle course, it stays on too when breakdowns, accidents, etc. occur enough within running distance of T-2 to beat the cycle course cutoff time by running/pushing. My PR: two miles in an Olympic distance tri in Japan.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

pfriese

Warm, windy, & very humid 14 mile run this morning. The TV weather people are predicting big storms later this afternoon. I saw tornado/storm chasers heading west on my way back in from my run. Schools/sports are canceling after-school activities already. Being weather aware, but Oklahoma is a pretty big state... Hopefully, we will just get some rain.

Paul

...fatozzig//....Old Pharmacy Trick

mix a little Boric Acid Powder

...............................................(one bottle lasts a 1000-years)>>>>>>>ok, a LONG TIME anyway

in separate (small) containers

of jelly and of peanut butter,

leave out overnite

see which the ants pick

THEN

you can put out that bait for either Sweet Eating OR Grease Eating Ants

usually

knocks out the entire colony in a couple of weeks...........Slow but Permanent......

======

yet another Rest Day for me.........meh

good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...fatozzig//....Old Pharmacy Trick

mix a little Boric Acid Powder

...............................................(one bottle lasts a 1000-years)>>>>>>>ok, a LONG TIME anyway

in separate (small) containers

of jelly and of peanut butter,

leave out overnite

see which the ants pick

THEN

you can put out that bait for either Sweet Eating OR Grease Eating Ants

usually

knocks out the entire colony in a couple of weeks...........Slow but Permanent......

Thanks!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

My mojo left me this week.  finally, tonight, I did a measly 2.5 miles around the workplace.  Oh the heat and humidity near killed me but I lived to run another day.

Trails Rock!

mrrun

Any bike days anywhere else?

i've participated in lots of bike to work days in boston while working.  i'll probably ride tomorrow morning to support strength in numbers although i'm not working.  biked this morning in the may HHH, but did not this afternoon - high 90's.

Jay - is it your bday today?  or why else would you almost be in a new AG?

marj

evanflein

Jay - is it your bday today?  or why else would you almost be in a new AG?

I was wondering that myself. He kind of slipped that in there, didn't he!

I can't imagine anything more creepy than ants in my laptop. Ok, maybe ants in the toaster... Hope you can get rid of the little buggars. They have their place in the world, but not in the house!

Welcome home to our travelers. I'll count myself in that group, having been in Anchorage Tuesday after that conference the week before. I'm done traveling for awhile though.

5.8 mostly easy effort miles this afternoon. 63° and partly cloudy, it felt just about perfect if not a little warm in the direct sun. Legs feel better this afternoon. I think I was just really tired yesterday.