Masters Running

Wednesday January 14 Runs, walks, rests and everything else ..... (Read 579 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sorry, I haven't noticed before now.....a really big Welcome to George Smile BTW, I am the forum Clown and idiot Big grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

5 degrees this morning with wind chills well below zero, but wasn't going to run anyway as I felt a twinge in my calf running on the treadmill yesterday. Taking a few days away from running to make sure everything is ok as I have had problems with my calves before. On another note I saw on caller ID that my Mom was calling me last night after 9:30, not a good sign. My Dad was taken to the hospital and is in the ICU with bleeding on his brain, so I may be a bit distracted but like the support of this group so thought I would share. Thanks for listening.

Renee the dog

Oh Craneium {{{ }}}} Those calls are the worst. Sad Hang in there and I'll be hoping the best for your Dad. (rest day for me)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

{{{{{Craneium and family}}}}} hoping for the best. keep us posted.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Peter... Conover. Closer to your neck of the woods than mine at least ...but too far to meet up.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Sarge, that was a nice picture you posted the other day of you and your wife on a snowy run. Twocat, sorry to hear of your health scare. I'm glad your getting everything checked out and hope all is well, or at least minor. jlynne, happy birthday to your son and his wife. Teresa, sorry to hear of your husband's health concerns. I hope they are resolved quickly. deez, good luck with your surgery. craneium, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's trip to the hospital. Your whole family is in my thoughts. Good vibes going out to Donna and TomD. Nice long runs for Peter, Twocat, Tramps, WRFB, jdmom, PBJ, and perch. Good job on the speedwork for Holly, perch, busi, maine, breger, and SLO. This morning, the temp was well below zero (an average of my thermometers and the reported temp was about -10F). Last night when I heard the temp was going down I wondered if I'd be able to bundle up and go outside but this morning rejected that idea. It was another 8 miles on the TM at 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                Brrrrrrr, it's so cold out there for many of you! Right now, I feel lucky living here on the coast of Virginia where it is not going to get much below 20F! I would definitely be on the treadmill if it were minus any degrees. Busiman, good to see you back and congratulations on a sub-3 at Hartford. That is awesome. Tim, it's good to see you feeling better and back posting. I am sure you are afraid of the pain returning but you will be okay as long as you back off at the first twinge. I wish you a speedy return to pain free running. (((((Craineum))))) Sending prayers your way. I hope your Dad makes a full recovery. Five easy TM miles for me this morning (8:10 avg. pace) and then a weight/core session with more knee rehab. I think the rehab is helping, but dang is it ever boring to do those exercises.

Once a runner . . .

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Cranium--Best wishes to your dad and the rest of you. Hope everything turns out OK. Is he in Rochester? I know there's some good hospitals there with the U Of R. Tselbs--but think how easy it would be to get "more miles than degrees" Wink Timbo--every village needs an idiot, but I'm not sure you're fully qualified. ETA: Welcome (a little slow) to George. I was a little suspicious that you might be in the Boston area with your Bruins logo. (great game last night, eh?)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

that Meg is sure fast, her easy pace is mine speed workout pace...I wow to you sistahh. Craneium my thoughts and prayers are with you. Do your parents live closed by? Prayer and support to your mama as well. Predawn speedworkout for the Posie this morning (her butterfly wings sure hates waking up so early to fit in this speed w/o) 2 miles w/u; 800: 4:03 ----1' recovery jog 1000: 5:05 ----1' recovery jog 800: 4:03 ----1' recovery jog 1000: 5:05 ----1' recovery jog 1000: 5:05 ----1' recovery jog 1000: 5:05 ----1' recovery jog easy cooldown and 8 miles total for the day. Hard workout since I kissed good-bye to yet another 800 to welcome one more 1000 in this workout. My plan is to be doing all 1000 by the end of January. As last week, I concentrated on proper breathing and forms during the last two. twocat, how are you today? You are back to work, I hope. How is Tobias doing, SRlopez? Timbo, you are not the forum clown, you are the energy of this forum. Happy to see you recovering so well. Busiman, happy to see you around here again. I hope to hang out around Hartford in the fall...I am loooking at it as my fall marathon and it would be so kul to see you there.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

xor

A Tobias update (written today, in fact) can be found in my last two posts over here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/170f5f42976b4b898423c69c9431d901/3 Warning: harsh language to be found in the last line of one of my posts.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timbo--every village needs an idiot, but I'm not sure you're fully qualified.
                        I totally beg to differ on that TongueSmile - Hey Mari...what do you have against Clowns...I get told I'm a Clown by everyoneWink jdmom3 , actually I keep forgetting to add...I still have the broken toes issue I am dealing with too. But the AT is what I am taking about when I say my foot feels good. But really could run right now, and I don't think it would be too awfully painful with the toe issue (Maybe a short dreadmill run tonight is in order) TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

A Tobias update (written today, in fact) can be found in my last two posts over here: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/170f5f42976b4b898423c69c9431d901/3
                          "Don't fart in the space bed" had me rolling....Big grin ETA - Craneium - sending some extra prayers for your Dad.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A Tobias update (written today, in fact) can be found in my last two posts
                            My computer is refusing to post over there (just my stupid computer). I suggest Pet Steps. We got them for our old cat, Fatso, and they work really well. All our cats use them now to get on and off the bed It only took me working with him for about 10 minutes before he realized how much easier they made things. We're going to get another set for our couch. The ones at Bed Bath and Beyond are $40, but you could probably find them cheaper somewhere else. I'm was such a slug this a.m. Overslept! Undecided BUT, I got into work early to compensate for leaving early for my dr appt . . . but then had to deal with computer problems. Evil grin So, basically I have accomplished absolutely nothing this a.m. Blush {{{Cranium and Family}}} Stumpy - Good luck with all the doctor stuff. I'm NOT looking forward to the medical bills that I know are on their to my mailbox at this very moment. I have a nice round $5,000 deductible I have to pay before my insurance kicks in. The upcoming weather for all you folks in the middle of the country looks absolutely miserable. Stay safe!!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Thanks, but I have 3 sets of steps. He goes up the steps. Training him to come down the steps has been problematic, and I've spent 4 years trying. He likes the express elevator down.

King of PhotoShop

Craneium, I hope all is well with your dad. Please keep us all posted as everyone cares here and we will support you. SLO HAND, I know you are a very good runner, but that workout seems unusual if it is in the wrong point in your program, OR it may be just right. Hard to know what is right if it came from a book. But here is something to think about. Tonight or today I hope you back off and just do a nice recovery run, slow as you like, and then tomorrow pay careful attention to how you feel. You should be ready to run "easy" or GA pace, with no after-effects from that track work when you run on Thursday. If you experience any stiffness or lassitude, that would indicate that the track workout was a bit much for you, as I suspect it was given your having to back off it a bit. Frank Shorter and many other top runners swore by doing tons of 400's so who am I to argue. The trick to that workout however is to not do them at such a fast pace, and keep the recovery short. This is why I asked busiman last night to talk more about his workout, and I'll post some comments about that workout and yours later today. Good work Bill. And no, you don't need the data! In my RA log all my daily runs are coded as "slow/recovery" because until I can run "easy" that's what they all are. But since my sore ham/butt is feeling better, I am seeing some easy miles sneaking in there, and for the first time I am able to enter in my log today 2-1/2 miles slow and 2 miles easy. Feeling pretty good about that. Also, because I am 62, it seems natural that I should also talk about the weather. It was 36 when I went out this morning, very pleasant. Right now it is 55 and sunny, a beautiful day. Spareribs