Masters Running

Tuesday, January 19 Daily thread ...... (Read 561 times)

TammyinGP

I'm hoping to head out for a run at lunchtime. We seem to be having a brief break in all the rain hitting the west coast right now. Hoping it holds out a bit longer. I went for a 2.3 mile ez recovery run yesterday morning, after my hilly race on Saturday and then another 7 mile hilly run on Sunday.  The recovery run was the right thing to do because my legs feel great today.

speaking of sinkholes, I received this sad news this morning. He is sort of a 'colleague' of sorts - as we both belong to the same professional association, (Oregon Crim.Def.Lawyers Assoc) and he's been at CLE's I've attended.

Police sent to a Southwest Portland home early Sunday to check on a man who hadn't been heard from since Thursday found the man's body in a backyard sinkhole, the Multnomah County Medical Examiner's Office reported.

Michael Zerwas, 57, was found partially submerged in water in a hole about 25-feet deep, the office reported. Police had been called Sunday morning by a friend of his who lives in Iowa. She said she talked to Zerwas on Thursday but had been unable to reach him Friday or Saturday.

Police found the front door of the home at 8500 S.W. 52nd Ave. was locked, the medical examiner's office reported. The back door was open, and when police searched the backyard they discovered the hole. A neighbor told police there had been a depression – but no hole – in the backyard.

Calif and the coastal areas of Oregon are bracing for what will surely be alot of damage and ruin this week.

Tammy

Tramps

Neil wrote many of the songs for the Monkeys.    If THAT doesn't make you a fan........

I did not know that...but somehow I'm not surprised.

I never cared for the Monkees either.

Now I"m sounding like a grumpy old music-hater.

I'm not...really.

Aamos makes me laugh even when she hasn't run yet. (BTW, how the heck did Sweet Caroline--of all songs--get mixed up with the Red Sox?)

ETA:  Tammy, that's sad.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

tramps...you are funny.

Carolyn and Erika, I use a headlamp and I do carry a flash light in each hand as well . Also, please know that the streets were snow free today, so no problem with speeding up. Besides, by running faster in these areas allowed me to put a little speed in my run and not to be so scare Smile

Great job speedy holly.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, you should reposess your weights from DS1.  Or gee, even splurge on another set - I bet you could find one cheap on Craigslist.  I find it really handy to have weights at home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

(BTW, how the heck did Sweet Caroline--of all songs--get mixed up with the Red Sox?)

Aamos - Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't have something to do with the owner's daughter being named Caroline?  I LOVE Neil Diamond.  And Ev, Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show is one of my favorites to run to.

Tammy - We were in Brookings Sat/Sun and, needless to say, the ocean was angry.  It was really cool to watch.  I think the storm is coming from SoCal and heading north.  We're suppose to get dumped on for the next 24-36 hrs with some high winds.  Mt. Shasta got 2' of snow in 24 hrs.  It's my understanding we're suppose to get hit again next week, but with warmer temps, so they're worried about snow melting and more flooding.  {sigh}  Sure am sorry to hear about your colleague.  What a horrible thing to have to someone.

Erika - Have you ever thought of using resistance bands as opposed to free weights?  They're relatively inexpensive, and you can get them in varying degrees of resistance.  They're easier to take in a suitcase, too.

Holly - Re the kinesio tape.  I can't get it locally, but that's not surprising.  A lot of PT places uses it.  One of those offices might be able to tell you if it can be purchased locally.  Or maybe contact a medical supply store?  Otherwise, I get it off Amazon.  It's about $10-$11/roll (plus s/h), and I usually have it within a couple of days.  If you're just taping the ends of your toes, a roll will last  a long time.  You'll have to cut a section off to see which way it stretches.  There are lines on the tape backing that run parallel with the tape.  Some rolls the tape stretches the same direction as the lines, some rolls the opposite.  I have no idea what. 

30 min of cycling, followed by 30 min of TRX-ing.  I cut back on the reps for the core specific exercises, and my back isn't hurting as bad.  Will be a tad smarter this time and gradually increase the reps as my core strength increases.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

2.) Neil Diamond -->> "Sweet Caroline" --> "Oh Oh OH --> "Good times never seemed so good!" --> 8th inning --> Red Sox, YAY!

So now I finally get why Jimmy Buffett did Sweet Caroline as a medley with "Why Don't We Get Drunk . . . . " during his shows at Fenway a few years ago.  The things one learns on a running forum . . . . . .

Too busy to even lurk this past week with two, count 'em, two courses starting, in addition to all the other stuff.  Running when I get home tonight and will check in with everyone then.

Eliz

also counting the days 'til spring training  

flomotioncoaching.com

I did not know that...but somehow I'm not surprised.

Ha, good one!

After further research I must make some what of a retraction.  Diamond wrote a few (not many) of the Monkees songs.  And thanks for the correction of the spelling......who knew?     Well, I guess you did.

Othr really good Diamond tunes would be Holly Holy and I am I said......good stuff.

Hey Hey we're the Masters.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Aamos - Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't have something to do with the owner's daughter being named Caroline?  I LOVE Neil Diamond.  And Ev, Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show is one of my favorites to run to.

No, but I like that story (there was a guy who working in the media control room for a long time who did have a daughter named Caroline, and the song may have been played for her at one time), along with the one that links the song to Caroline Kennedy.  The woman (an Amy) who selected the music for Fenway in the late '90s started playing the song and it caught on, so she only played it in the later innings if it looked as if the Sox would win.  It wasn't cemented in at the middle of the 8th until a year or 2 before the Sox won their first Series in 86 years. 

...........................................................................I'm guessing it's not going to change any time soon.

Carolyn, Rockies tickets are on sale tomorrow.  Boston's there June 22-24--do you know, they charge more for the Sox? 

Running, right, this is a running board. 

1.) I still intend to run after work. 

2.) I have been thinking all day about what to write about in my column this week; any suggestions?

3.) I'm working with the Y on their annual  newbee running training that culminates in the Mickelson Trail half and full marathons--am thinking about running it myself, June 6.

I did 6 lunges at the gym earlier and a bunch of boring machine/weights stuff, and all the while I was wishing I was running.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

AAmos--welcome to spring training fever.  Now that the Pats' run (see, I'm on topic) is over, I can't wait until the truck leaves.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

blah blah blah Baseball blah blah blah spring training blah...

Kevin, that was a lame attempt to keep on topic. Sheesh.

Hey Amy, no help on the next column till you post a link to that other one. Deal?

Leslie, I've tried the bands over the years, different types... just can't seem to get into them much. I'm sure if I had a demo of it for a full workout I'd feel differently. They always remind me of physical therapy.

4 miles on the treadmill at the gym, 35:25 or 8:52 avg. This treadmill I was using felt really hard at 1%. Seems so odd how they all feel different at the same setting. You'd think % incline would be pretty easy to calibrate, no? Legs a bit sore from Sunday's weights, but foot and ankle are fine.

Hey Hey we're the Masters.

Too cute there.

Glad the foot is holding up Erika (get it!)

Tammy that is truly tragic.

Rest day plus too much left over cake going into the freezer before it ends up in my belly.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tammy, nice job on your course PR on Sunday.  Sarge, I liked the video of your race.  It reminded me of some of the local small ones I've done, popsicle stick finish and all.  The snow reminded me of my winter races.  breger, nice you got to run with your clone.

Nice long runs for holly, mariposai (in slush and rain), and nono.  Good job on the speedwork for breger and Holly.

This morning, it was about 30° and just a little wind.  Once I got to the end of my driveway and stayed on paved roads, there was no ice.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:20 for a 10:02 pace.

We are now at my mother's on the other side of the state.  I accidentally left my running shoes at home.   Tomorrow, I wasn't planning on running.  If we stay an extra night, I may go out in the retired shoes I've been wearing for every day use.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

SteveP

Larry...Let me at your Dr...You gotta get fleet of feet like right now.

I feel for you in the boss department Holly.

Sorry to hear about your colleague.

Neil Diamond has some kewl talent. When I take apart the lyrics though......When singing "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"....I change one of the lines to "Slap up your babies and crabby old ladies"

Have fun with your Mom TomS.

4.2 miles with my fuzzy clone. If you looked at our back hair, you would swear we're twins.

SteveP

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love reading everyone's posts!

I'm still ahead of the 2000-km pace bunny, but it's getting challenging.  We got 10 inches of snow yesterday, and it was snowing lightly when I woke up today.  I drove over to a side road that doesn't get much traffic. It's also wide and straight, so you can see cars coming from a long ways off.  I had my YakTrax on, but it was still challenging.  It felt as if my feet were slipping backwards with every step.  I made 5 miles, but it wasn't pretty.  I have to figure out what to do tomorrow!  DH and I finally decided to buy a treadmill, and it will be here soon.  We can put it in our basement where it's nice and cool, and he's hooked up a TV we can watch.  That should be better than the Y, where I overheat and get bored.

Maniac 505

YEAH!!! It is friday night for me!!!

All this talk about Neil Diamond,  what happened to Neil Young!!!

Friday night for me,  I go back to work on Thursday, one day  for our annual Coast Guard inspection,  other then that I have the next seven days off.  hope to get  some long runs in this weekend, 

There was a post on the maniac Bulletin board looking for another team member for the Bataan death march marathon,  sounds like they might match my anticipated pace for a solo run,  I sent out an E-mail.  I might run that one with some company?  we will see the E-mail response