Masters Running

Monday Runnings and other exercise- July 17 (Read 35 times)

3.1  to start the day before a 1 night trip to Boston for a mediation with a crazy person

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Good morning Masters.  I ran (and I use that term loosely) 5 miles this morning.  A misty fog made the humidity bearable.

Friday we drove to Atlanta to meet my older daughter and older granddaughter (from Tallahassee).  We took them to out to dinner and shopping.  Saturday my daughter went back home and we took the grandkid to Legoland Discovery Center and then back here to WV.  She'll be here for a couple weeks, then spend a week with her grandparents to Michigan, come back here for a couple days, and then we'll drive her back to Tallahassee so she can start the 4th grade on time.

.......... before a 1 night trip to Boston for a mediation with a crazy person

...I can find you a LOT of those closer than that.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Head Procrastinator

Smile

Hi Masters.

Loved the pictures, Carolyn.

Great shameless plug, Marge and Henry, I am heading to the Berks on Thursday myself, love it there.

Rode 41 Saturday, 36 yesterday and struggled to run 30 mins this morning. Have a great week everyone!

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          Henrun

Too tired from a busy weekend I went out for a 2.6 mile walk in the HandH after a long,refreshing sleep.

Thanks Hally, our 65+ running club is also pleased with the plug.

TammyinGP

amazing pics from yesterday Carolyn!

will try to get in a few miles this evening since I won't be able to run tomorrow or Wed. With the time change and almost 3 hr layover in Seattle, it'll be an all -day travel day just to get to MSP - then the drive to our hotel about 1.5 hrs from airport. I can probably get in lots of walking at SeaTac though.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

4.3 miles for me today in 66 degrees.

Okay, back to work....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

3.1  to start the day before a 1 night trip to Boston for a mediation with a crazy person

Some would put us in that category...

Sounds like a nice couple of weeks for you, Dave. Good thing the statute of limitations has expired and you can come back to Michigan.

Ran 4.1 this morning on the rail-trail in IRC: 60s, no wind, clearing skies. I always feel like I'm cheating when I do that a couple hours before I go to my doctor for my semi-annual checkup. It seems to lower both my BP (116/58) and HR (52), but they are pretty good lately anyhow.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Some would put us in that category...

...seems to be A Theme today..........our Pool was closed due to being '' Chemically Imbalanced''........

told

the kid at the Y I'd come back tomorrow

'cause I didn't want to Dissolve....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA -  as tomw indicates, it's probably too late for most of us

but maybe henrun can serve as a psychiatrist kind of like

the jury consultants do.  Either way, be careful.

Has anyone else really been called really crazy for real?

By the way, not as much anymore as when no one eise except Zola Budd and the famed New Englander Charlie "Doc" Robbins and AAU long-distance champion were running barefoot, but has anyone else been openly called crazy and they mean it?

Marj - thanks for RWcover-worthy pic and gem about you and henry.

Even though I'm only 74, I'll never run a 5:31 marathon as henry did eight years ago at only 75.  In fact, I'll consider myself lucky to be still running, or doing anything as-far-as-that-goes, in nine years when I'm 83 too but, thanks to his daily inspirations, and you too, I'll never stop pretending.

ps tammy - after you run'walk up-and-down and in-and-out all the spider-leg concourses at SeaTac, maybe rest up in the skyview lounge or, if it's not accessible from inside security, the meditation room, . . . if you can get in.

At 83 years old, Brookline doctor is still running

both members of the New England 65 Plus Runners Club. Dr. Henry Wolstat has been running for more than half his life, ever since a former neighbor invited him on laps around the neighborhood in preparation for a local road race. Now 83, the retired Brookline psychiatrist says the camaraderie and support of the New England 65 Plus Runners Club (ne65plus.org) keeps him pounding the pavement. “I started running before it became popular,’’ said Wolstat, who had previously kept in shape by hiking, skiing, and cycling. “The exercise [from running] felt good, and it was a good stress outlet when I had my private practice. I’ve kept it up ever since.’’

Wolstat persevered despite an inauspicious result in that first race, a 5-miler in which he finished almost last. Just two years later, he competed in his first of 40 marathons throughout the United States and Canada, including 11 Boston Marathons between 1976 and 2009.  That final year, he crushed his sub-six-hour goal with a time of 5:31:12. A mere 75 years old at the time, he was edged by his wife — Marj Radin, 11 years his junior — who finished at 5:30:02.

“We’re both retired from marathons now, but we still enjoy running for the exercise and the social aspect. We see people we know from the [New England 65 Plus Runners Club] in races all over,’’ said Wolstat, a former club secretary who now serves on the board alongside his wife. “We’ve made a lot of friends. It’s quite a lot of fun.’’

Wolstat joined the organization after moving to Brookline 15 years ago, and Radin followed when she turned 65 seven years ago. Founded in 1991, it has grown from a handful of members in the Merrimack Valley to more than 700 runners from all six New England states.

Membership is open to all who meet the age requirement without regard to competition results. The lifetime membership fee costs $50.

Wolstat, who had a right-knee replacement last fall, has resumed running 5Ks and aspires to double that distance. While many of his fellow club members set age-group records, he is content to finish toward the back of the pack.

“I’ve already done a lot of mileage,’’ he said, “but I’m going to keep running as long as I can.’’

me too

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

They're special in Boston.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Has anyone else really been called really crazy for real?

The Hub called me crazy one time during a nasty spat.  I think he meant it for real.  

Great article, Henry!

I'm still alive and kickin'!  Not sure why I haven't been posting, except I feel like I've been on the move for over a month now.  This past weekend was my first weekend home in a four weeks.  I'm ready to stay put for awhile.

I've been running little bits and working on getting my core/ST 3x a week.  This week will be my first week since early February to have an actual schedule to follow.  Bursitis is still an issue, but I am so close to it all going away!  Sitting continues to be the worst thing, so I just stand a lot, unless I'm at home.  Two weekends ago, I volunteered at Mt. Hood 50/50 (both days) and had a blast.  That one's gong back on my hopeful list for next year.

Okay, that's about it.  Hope things are going well with all of you.  Now that I'll be running more, I'll try to be better about getting in here.

Have a great week ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, it's an employment discrimination case, so not as crazy as some I've had. My flight is 1 1/2 hours late and my hotel is going to be marginal. The "normal " hotels were $600-800 a night! I'm talking Courtyard and Hampton level.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

catwhoorg

Labrat

8 and change on my hill route after work.

Giving training all week so unlikely to get any lunch runs in.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Last day of vacation!! Sad to end but I'll be back up here by Friday night - that's one of the bonuses of being seasonal and working 3 12 work days!!

Biked 50.2 miles avg pace 15.2 - wish I could get faster but thankful just to be out there!! Quick change and out for 2.2 run/walk. Than enjoyed a fabulous afternoon by the pool with friends!!

Bed early - not looking forward to the 4am alarm!!

happy trails my friends!!

denise