Masters Running

Saturday 16 September 2023 (Read 35 times)

Kicking us off but I'm heading off to Murfreesboro (ugh) for a church thing, so no recap.  Impressive work by all yesterday, though.

4.2 miles and beat the rain.  Had to start before sunrise for a change- barely light enough to see, but it got OK in a few minutes.  Ken got rained out for his bike ride.

Catch y'all later and have a greta Saturday.  Jay- enjoy the weekend.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - have fun in Murfree Town, at least the name sounds fun.

No fall yellowing leaves yet but at a nippy 52F this morning, my feet are happy I switched this morning's planned SM Summer 10k virtual to yesterday afternoon's seventies making the pavements nice and warm for the longest distance in a couple of years but, though started petering out around five miles, depending on knee issues, operation schedule date TBA, etc., the last half marathon distance in their summer series seems in reach after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

I had my fastest run of the year.

- Parkrun #26

- 28:32

- 3.14 on the Garmin

- 9:05 pace

About 20 seconds off a Parkrun PR from last year.

Tramps

Thanks for the start, KSA.

Nice racing, Dave!

tet--yeah, I think the wet Baystate (2009) was the year the beers were running in Rhode Island (Newport?) and they had even worse weather. At Baystate, rain let loose in the second half of the race and there was a stretch of road where one lane was closed for runners and one was open for traffic. The problem was the road had a steep camber so all the rain was flowing from the higher traffic lane and pooling in the lower runner's lane, resulting in ankle-deep water, which you couldn't really avoid. I just remember hoping my shoe wouldn't come off from the suction. I also remember shivering uncontrollably in my foil blanket afterwards as I tried to sip some soup broth to warm up. Ah, fun times.

Much nicer weather here today. Gorgeous, in fact. It was in the 50s overnight! Our weather pattern seems to have gotten out of summer mode and we can enjoy the outdoors again and keep windows open!  It was so nice, I was inspired to do 7.8 slow miles on the trails today.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning all,

I ran 10.25 miles (shirtless as usual) this morning in 63F temps and a brisk 5+ mph wind here in North Cape May. My original plan for today's long run was 10 but I haven't run further than 8 since hamstring issues. But I got it done and I was somewhat surprised that it seemed to go as well as it did. I had no issues.  It was a good run. We'll see tomorrow or later today if I'm still walking. 😂

DW wants to hit the beach later so I'll have plenty of rest.

Enjoy the day.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

moebo

Good morning!

Congrats, Dave, on the speedy Parkrun. I guess that effort in the 15-miler is paying off. 

When is Baystate, and where will the meet-up be? Let me know, and I'll try to be there too.

Jay, I'd love that! The race is Sunday, October 15th. If I can get through next week without hurting myself, I am gonna do it. I don't know the area so I'm not sure where we can have the meet-up, but I'm sure we'll figure something out.

We are in NH this weekend for our annual apple picking outing at Cardigan Mountain Orchard. Woke up this morning to some gusty winds (thanks to Hurricane Lee) but decided to get my cutback run done anyway. It was fun! 13.75 miles.

BTY

Good afternoon (by the time I hit <Post>Wink, Masters!

Men's Breakfast talk on Forgiveness is in the books.  In spite of the sound system not working so my music playlist never played, it went off pretty well.  I had a guest speaker who really stole the show but the whole thing went better than I could have imagined or hoped for.

I swam last night before going out to the "Olde English" pub in downtown Albany to celebrate our Son In Law's birthday.  It's a place I've mentioned here before - built in 1730 or so, the 2nd oldest building in Albany, and as a History Nut (especially for Albany's History), it made my day that my SIL thought it was a good place to go.

Swim workout was harder than planned/intended.  It was supposed to be an easy one after taking off a good chunk of the first half of September, this being only the third one since returning.   I did 2 x 200 yards of both freestyle and backstroke, and 4 x 100 yards of both flutter kick and backstroke kick (with fins), for pre-sets.   Main set was where it got hard, harder than it should have been.  It was planned to be a ladder from 50 yards up to 150 yards, in 25 yard increments.   I did the 50 in 39 seconds, the 75 in 58 seconds, the 100 in 1:21, and the 125 in 1:44.   I stopped after the 125, and finished with an easy 100 yard cool down.  The pace per 100 for each of those was 1:18, 1:17, 1:21, and 1:23.   The only one of those that was done at a reasonable pace was the 50 - all of the others were too fast.  I knew each was too fast when I completed them and tried to slow the next one down, but it wasn't happening, and when I checked my pulse after the 125, I could feel some irregularity in the pulse, and shut it down.

Leaves are just starting to turn here in upstate NY.  Further to the north, in the Adirondacks, they are well beyond "just starting".  But we will reach peak in mid to late October-  then sometime in early November the leaves will almost all be off.  Except that at our church and school property, we have a great many mature oak trees.  They are known to hold their leaves until just after Thanksgiving.  So I announced this morning that we would be having a leaf cleanup day on the first Saturday in December, and right on queue, someone mentioned that it would be too late because there would be snow covering them.  This happens every year.  If we do the cleanup in the "fall months" (which I remind everyone, it's fall until December ~21), then all those oaks drop their leaves after we've done leaf cleanup and they'll get buried by snow and our early cleanup would be for naught.   Yeah, we could get a foot of snow this November, and it could make December leaf removal difficult or even impossible, but it is what it is.  I should mention that the people who mention that it will be too late are never part of the cleanup day, so it's no surprise that they don't know the situation yet.  And even with the best effort we can put into it in December, we'll still wind up with oak leaves everywhere in the spring, because some don't fall until March and April!

BTY

tetsujin209 I have no idea how you can stand having an app talk to you while running. I was ready to permanently delete the Run Keeper app after the second quarter mile done alert. Fortunately, I discovered you can tell it to keep quiet. As for marathons, still on track to run (easy) the Kansas City marathon in October and then see what I can do in the Rocket City marathon (Huntsville, AL) in December.

Dew point seems to have plunged back to earth for the foreseeable future. It was in the 40's this morning. I went out for a 14 mile run and tried to pick it up a bit during miles 3 through 12. My Garmin called it a success, crediting me with a positive performance condition score for the interval. I should go celebrate! Yes, I have a low bar for going and celebrating. 

Let's play how far under qualifying will you need to get into Boston this year? Here is the news release: https://www.baa.org/new-record-set-qualifier-applications-2024-boston-marathon-first-year-partnership-bank-america. I am going with 5:01. Just adding a second to get me the over on 5 minutes. 

I still cannot understand why they do not just add another wave. It would make so many people happy, bring more money into the BAA and Boston area. Why the unwillingness to do it?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 I have no idea how you can stand having an app talk to you while running.

Twocat - me too but I think it started in Trail running day when I was pretty much all alone and, especially in the middle of the night, having company was nice.

Notice:  Ultra Trail Mt. Fuji Race 2023 (UTMF) around in the base forests (vs Summit Race when I was over there) is on  NHK World from 2:10 - 3:00 pm EDT r

in ten minutes. See ya.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good run, Dave!

Marathon Maniac #957

Leaves are just starting to turn here in upstate NY.  Further to the north, in the Adirondacks, they are well beyond "just starting".  But we will reach peak in mid to late October-  then sometime in early November the leaves will almost all be off.  

Just beginning to see some leaves change here, but the best weeks for color are usually the last two weeks in October.  The first week of November usually brings the brightest colors, but only for a minute until they all fall off and die, and then by 11/10 everything is mostly bare.  Bleck.

Btw, the news from my husband's doctor that I had to wait until I got home from work to hear was this:" The next step is for you to make an appointment with your doctor to talk about next steps."

Dave - nice 5k!

Steve - is the big scary lump part of what is already going on with the hip, or is it something new entirely?

KSA - what's wrong with Murfresboro?

Moebo - here's hoping you don't hurt yourself!

Leslie - are  you behaving with DH gone?  

I feel so draggy and low-energy today, no idea why.  Motivationally defunct.  I planned on doing lots of  yard work when I got back from my run, but after trying to dig a hole in the rock-hard dry dirt of my flower bed, I settled for watering instead.  Then we went grocery shopping, stopped at Sam's Club for massive amounts of TP and paper towels, and then I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with AT@T and Ashurion ordering a new replacement phone for DD's broken one.  Cooked lunch and cleaned up the kitchen and now I am trying to decide if there is one more item I can check off in the chore range before giving up on any more productivity for the day.

It was in the mid-40's this morning and it felt COLD to me....I will have to remember to throw on another layer until I get acclimated to the cooler temps.

3 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Masters.

Sorry for the late post, but that is what happens on vacation sometimes.

Congrats on your fastest (so far) Parkrun, Dave!

Sadly, Moebo, we will be visiting a friend in NY on Oct. 15, so I won't be able to wildly cheer you on at Baystate. However, I still expect you'll have a greta time with the other RA folks, and a greta race as well.

We arrived at our inn yesterday afternoon, and were offered (and took) an upgrade to a larger room with a king bed and a fireplace for an additional $10/night. We had dinner here at the inn which was decent, but not special.

I didn't bring my headlamp on this trip, so I waited till almost sunrise, about 6:15, to head out this morning on an exploratory RW workout of some of the roads here in Norwich, VT. The hills were pretty constant but, thankfully, not beyond my capability to manage them. It was a fun jaunt, and I got in 5.5 RW miles, followed by some good stretching and core work. After that, DW and I drove to Hanover, NH (5 miles away) for a great breakfast. Then we explored a local antique fair, did a little shopping at the King Arthur Baking Company company store, went to an amazing local farmers market, and then did a bit of hiking. The route for our hike was incredibly steep, and we never made it to the top because we exhausted ourselves. But we did make it to a trailhead for the AT, which was our goal, so we were happy with that. And we added another 3.4 miles of walking to the day. Now we're relaxing a bit before heading out to dinner to a restaurant a few towns away that looks pretty promising.

The best part of the day, however, was that over breakfast (and after our first cup of coffee) DW and I both agreed to sign up to stay together for at least another year! One of DW's sisters encouraged us to sign up for 5 years, till #50. But we agreed that it would be looking too far ahead, and that taking it one year at a time, as we have been, makes it easier to also take it one day at a time, and to live in the moment instead of in the future.

We heard that the impacts of Hurricane Lee weren't too bad back at home (but I wonder how Milktruck, who is more in the direct path than we were made out), and that a neighbor took in both my delivery of fresh coffee beans, and a box from the farmer's market with, among other goodies, several pounds of tomatoes that I'll use for making more sauce. So life is good.

I hope you've had a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

4 mile fartlekish run

1000m 3:58

400m 1:21

200m :39

All surrounded by jogging and walking. PF was almost nil at start but got sore as I went. Not too bad sitting here afterwards, though. The pain wasn't at my heel, so I wonder if I'm at the stage where the rigid insoles hurt worse than the PF. That would be nice, but we'll see tomorrow morning.

All kinds of football today! I have some puttering to do, but then GO DUCKS! Trophy fake-wife will be wearing a mu'umu'u to support Hawai'i, but my old school Ducks shirt will win the day. I'm also CO curious, let's see if they continue to live up to their own hype.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Well, Bill.  Vanderbilt beat Hawaii, so there's that.    Jay- did 6:15 feel like lunchtime?

Holly- nothing terribly wrong with Murfreesboro except it is very suburb-ish, built up with strip centers (and the university) and is 45 minutes away from Franklin on Hwy 96 which has been under construction (widening) for a couple of years now.  It rained our whole way over, but we did fine and the event was wonderful.  A lot of the female clergy in our diocese were really fans of my daughter, and they miss her.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I would do a "Moebo" marathon if at all possible, too

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.