Masters Running

Tuesday, March 3 Master's Daily Runs and workouts (Read 488 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! I just couldn't do it this morning. 2 degrees out there - not sure what the wind chill was - but I just could not talk myself into it. Plus I had a restless, dream filled night. Getting a few more zzzzzz's just made more sense to me. Maybe the treadmill tonight ..... maybe not. Have a great day Masters!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning, all! Mary - can't blame you for sleepin in - 2 degrees isn't conducive to running. Twocat and CNY - I saved you some chili and left the front porch light on last night ;-). It was delightful, and the leftovers will be even better tonight. wildchild - my uncle lives in Denver - he called last night to gloat about the lovely weather he was having yesterday... DH and I made it to work this AM, but the roads were still pretty dicey. 6.5 easy miles on the TM. Good runs to all - stay warm out there!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary – I don’t blame you. Some days the sleep is more important. Sue – hey, I love chili, too, maybe next time I will stop by for some.... Smile 9 degrees here, and I didn’t want to face that, either, so I hopped on the TM again. Actually I really wanted to be on the TM today, because I was looking forward to watching another episode of Lost. That dvd player over the TM has really made me a cold-weather wimp this year. Big grin 8 miles for me, including 8 x ½ mile intervals at (8:20) pace with 1 minute recoveries.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Waiting for the Saint to come home from taking Riblet to school, then we are going out for a slow five. How do I know it will be slow? I ran 12 on Sunday, and after yesterday's short, slow recovery, normally I would be ready to go today, but everything is different for me now and I see it takes me a bit longer to recover from a long run. I use RHR as an indicator, and you all have seen me post about this in the past. I take it in the morning and if it's still elevated, I change my expectations about that day's performance; then I am not disappointed. And the HR metrics are all different for me now. Before surgery I was high 40's. Now I am just under 60. But this morning I was at 62, so that's where I am today, headed for a probable slow workout. For those of you in marathon training, taking your morning pulse, while you are still in bed, will give you a reliable measure of how tired you are. I'll bet anything both Bill and Perch watch theirs. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

dream filled night
            Your very welcome Mary....glad I could help Big grin Burrrr, 4 degrees here this morning, but I run at night time when it is warmer out. Suppose to be in the upper 50's later in the week Smile Yum, someone mention chili...my fav food Nice run there speedy Holly, you are running very well right now...keep up the good work. Busy at work and wanted to check in and say....good morning, Have a great day everyone, TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Greetings folks! Thanks Sue....I bet the chili is fabulous and you are great to leave the light on! I thought sure that Twocat would beat me to it. Wink Mondays are slow cooker nights since the kiddo has hockey practice (never cancelled!) and I go to my granny's for dinner while he's skating. I bring her a portion of the slow cooker fare so she can have a few meals for the week. Mr. CNYrunner made a beef dish that had apricots, almonds, cinnamon, tomatoes, onions, cumin, spinach and chick peas and other spices all mixed in there. Fabulous! I thought the storm might change the plans, but the roads were better last night, so we stuck with our Monday ritual. I was glad that I could keep my date with Super Granny. She was sad because she normally reads to a local kindergarten class on Mondays. Yesterday was Dr. Seuss's birthday (Granny lives around the corner from Mulberry Street and Dr. Seuss's---Ted Geisel's birthplace) and she had her Cat in the Hat all set. Schools were closed, so she was disappointed. Six miles at 6:30 a.m. for me today---9º and -7º windchill---and then some weights, core, and stability work. I just re-read the book Run Strong edited by Kevin Beck and it affirmed my decision to work at the little things outside of my runs even more. Hi Holly! Good day to all CNYrunner
              Mariposai

How great it is to see so many great runs already around here. It was foggy here today. Don't you think that running in the fog has an element of magic in it? 6 easy miles. This is runs as your body tells you week for me after the relay this past weekend. Now it is time to put that Portuguese style chicken curry in the crock pot and get ready for work. Have a TERRIFIC day friends.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hill Runner

Good morning all, It's cold here but at least it's dry. I have a lot of respect for all of you who run in considerably colder temps than we have here in the Mid-Atlantic.....I'm not sure I could tolerate running consistently in temps colder than the upper teens. 10.30 miles of hills @ 9:13 pace. I ran without my iPod this morning as it stopped working on Sunday. I called Apple yesterday afternoon and they Fedex'd a new one to me this morning. It's charging and loading my playlist as I type. That's what I call service...Smile Good runs to everyone

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

wildchild

Carolyn

Peter, I agree with you that the teens is about the coldest I like to run in. I've done single-digits before but only if it's not windy, which it seems to be a lot here. Of course, this week the temps are in the 70's! It doesn't seem right that it's too hot to run at lunchtime in early March, though. OK, I'll quit whining, as our weather sounds considerably better than what most of you have right now. Yesterday I did a very peaceful and slow 3 mile recovery run on a single track dirt trail around a lake. I went after work, about 5:30, after the sun had dipped behind the mountains, so it was relatively cool in the high 50's. It got kind of dark at the end, but I can tell the days are getting longer! Today I don't have time to run after work because I have to pick up DD after play practice, so I'll have to brave the noontime heat. Wish me luck! Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

5 miles with the Saint and as predicted, it was otmaeir. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

so I'll have to brave the noontime heat. Wish me luck!
                        Where is my wet noodle when I need it? Evil grin Here's an interview of Barefoot Rick about running barefoot in the snow. Ouch! http://www.barefootrunner.org/09weeklymileage/weekending3-1-09.htm

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

5.3 miles on the Y indoor track this morning. The roads are so bad that even DS16 wore YakTrax to run on them yesterday! Shocked Which means they're too bad for me, lol. The snowbanks are so high that you have to inch your car out to see if anyone is coming when you try to pull out. I did see one runner, but she was WAY too far out in the road for her own good. Oh, our outdoor furniture disappeared under the snow yet again!
                            I feel like a wimp too, but couldn't brave the 17 degree temps and windchill 5 F to run outside. Plus my AT is still somewhat painful and the thought of slipping on ice with it made me nervous, so 8 more miles on the TM today. The AT is still kind of painful - not excruciating or anything and seemed to get better as I got further into the run. It actually stopped hurting all together at mile 7.5 - great! Anyway, iced it afterwards and now am wearing a compression bandage. I think I tweaked doing jumping exercises with my dd. As if I needed a reminder that jumping is a bad idea for anyone over age 30. CNY, thanks for the vibes - keep 'em coming. That dish your dh made sounds delish. I'm sold on the idea of every day running too, though I may now need to take a few days off to heal this AT strain. SR, hope you are feeling better and can get that mileage back up. I had a weather set back last week and now this week it's looking like an AT strain is going to sideline me or greatly reduce my mileage. Blah!

Once a runner . . .

Mother Nature was kind and stopped dumping rain right before I headed out the door this a.m., and didn't start back up until I was almost home. Snow flurries/whiteout up on the mountain passes has made driving across 299 and 36 a bit dangerous right now. Let me just say that Humboldt County people can be Stupid, Stupid, Stupid when driving in inclement weather. Am back on a regular training program as of today. Completed 3.25 miles in 33:27, and about 30 minutes of light strength training. The HR is staying on the high side, but am hopefully it'll start coming back down once my fitness level goes back up to norm. Av Pace/Best/Av HR 1. 10:19/8:40/145 2. 10:31/8:49/154 3. 10:11/8:58/158 4. 9:51/8:50/158 Sue - That chili sounded really good! The Hub made some Sunday before I got home, but he made it too spicy and I can't eat it. Sad The ole intestines are not real happy with the internal changes these days, and I am constantly battling heartburn and nausea. Oh well. I'm told for most people things settled down within a few months. Until then, it's a crap shoot as to what I can and can't eat. Roll eyes

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

I feel like a wimp too, but couldn't brave the 17 degree temps and windchill 5 F to run outside. Plus my AT is still somewhat painful and the thought of slipping on ice with it made me nervous, so 8 more miles on the TM today. The AT is still kind of painful - not excruciating or anything and seemed to get better as I got further into the run. It actually stopped hurting all together at mile 7.5 - great! Anyway, iced it afterwards and now am wearing a compression bandage. I think I tweaked doing jumping exercises with my dd. As if I needed a reminder that jumping is a bad idea for anyone over age 30. CNY, thanks for the vibes - keep 'em coming. That dish your dh made sounds delish. I'm sold on the idea of every day running too, though I may now need to take a few days off to heal this AT strain. SR, hope you are feeling better and can get that mileage back up. I had a weather set back last week and now this week it's looking like an AT strain is going to sideline me or greatly reduce my mileage. Blah!
                                Meg, have you tried heel lifts....made a HUGE difference with my AT (though we may be talking about different pain, I guess). Really hope you recover soon, and it is no big deal super speedy girl. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!