Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 12.26.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday's workouts:

Tomwhite (50 min on hills in 25° temps)

RunnerKSA (5.1 noonish miles with DD)

Holly (5 morning, pre-cooking miles in 20° with windage)

Surly Bill (10.2 trail miles with unexpected company)

Tet (X-C skiing in a local park)

Mike (9.6 miles with 2X3 at 'strength' pace in -23° windchill)

Deeze (1 mile in snow with fall, gash, 7 stitches)

I hope Quickadder's DW and Deeze are better today, and that Eric is OK. I'm very sorry about the Christmas day hospitalization and the nasty fall and gash. Not the kind of Christmas presents anyone wants...

Great photos, KSA, even if DS wasn't smiling.

I hope everyone who did lots 'a cooking for family and friends yesterday enjoyed the fruits of their labor, and was duly thanked for their contributions.

Mike, -23 WC is a bit (OK - a lot) more cold than I'd be willing to deal with.

3.2 early miles this morning in 26°, and howling, tree-shaking windage. DW and I will pack up and get on the road early this morning so we can try to get home before dark so I can try to clear whatever snow has accumulated on our driveway while we've been gone. Should be a fun day...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

6 miles of jogging & walking in the park this morning. 25° & pretty cloudy, but enough breaks in the clouds to see a pretty sky when the sun came up.

Yesterday was an early 4.86 mile run around the neighborhood streets. I only run on the narrow streets when I am sure the traffic will be very light. Wind was blowing yesterday. Feels like temperature of 10°. Nothing like the -80° that Mike faced, but cold enough for me.

Quiet Christmas with the in-laws yesterday. My MIL was doing better. Being involved in the food preparation seemed to give her some extra spunk. We video called with various family members during the afternoon so I saw my grandkids and their new stuff.

Lots of good stuff going on in the forum on Christmas. Sorry about those dealing with worrying issues.

Quickadder

Got out for an easy 5@5 with DD then added a fast (7:55) mile at the end for a total of 6 miles. Now at the office for a while, but intend to leave by lunchtime to visit DW in the hospital and find out if they have decided yet exactly what is wrong. Cardiologist thinks it may be a heart issue, pulmonologist thinks a lung issue ... perhaps we should get a chiropodist involved and then it may be a toenail issue!

I see the teams for the 2018 in 2018 have been set. A couple of names I recognize in my team 5. As a first timer in this game, can anyone enlighten me as to what the different colored circles against names mean? Also how the team name and captain are chosen - I don't see anywhere to nominate or vote.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Back to work today, and frankly, while we had a lovely Christmas, I am holiday'd out.  I wouldn't mind an entire day of sitting on the sofa reading and watching Netflix..

I woke up this morning with a sore ankle, not sure from what.  Might be I just slept with it twisted oddly and twinged it.  It seems okay now.  Anyway, it seemed like a good excuse not to run, so I just did some light core and upper body weights.

Only 9 weeks until March....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Still cold here in middle Tennessee.  Drove over to the path since the high waters have subsided and ran 6.2.  Tried out my new Garmin Fenix 5S and I like it.  I'm still messing with the screens.   Son is planning to mountain bike today, but he's been stuck on some work calls.

Have a good Tuesday, everyone.  Our offices are basically closed today (if you contributed to United Way you have off), but I've had to deal with a few things.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

I'm off till next Wednesday, and already feeling like I'm running out of time!

Mike, so sorry to hear about Eric, well I hope it's not as bad as you think but still.

Deez!! The post on FB looks terrible! Hope you'll be ok and minimal scarring. Geez, right on your cheek! Don't run in snowboots!!!

Quickadder, I'm on team 3. I'm not sure what the colored circles mean either and this is my third year.

Still waiting for my new Discover Card from the hack job last week. They sent it by FedEx and apparently it's been sitting in the Anchorage office since Friday morning! Geez, I could've driven there and picked it up long before now. 

Was thinking I'd hit the treadmill later but when I took DH to his office (I want the truck today!) it looked like the paths were all plowed really nicely. So, even though it's a single-digit day temperature-wise, there's no wind and I might as well get a run in the daylight, right?

TammyinGP

good morning all!
                After too much food yesterday, I'm SO ready to burn some of these calories off. Will run with the dogs later this afternoon.  
                we had a great Christmas. It's so nice having my brother living out near us now and he has a great girlfriend who he's now been with for 2+ yrs. I pretty much consider her my sis-in-law, even though they may not ever officially get married.  but who knows. 

In 4 day the rates go up for a local ultra I'm thinking of. I'll probably register for it after doing some drinking on NYE when I have this skewed perception that I'm some badass trailrunner. 

Tammy

Tramps

Nice to see folks had good holiday gatherings but very sad to hear about hospital visits and worrisome children. Best to Deez, Mike, Quickadder and others nursing bruises, physical and emotional.

Back to work today but we took a long lunch to try out some new winter gear SantaBee got me. 36F + light wind but I was nice and toasty.     16 miles on the bike.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I'll probably register for it after doing some drinking on NYE when I have this skewed perception that I'm some badass trailrunner. 

Hey, that's sometimes how I end up with sequential marathons in various states!

C-R

In 4 day the rates go up for a local ultra I'm thinking of. I'll probably register for it after doing some drinking on NYE when I have this skewed perception that I'm some badass trailrunner. 

Oh this one made me belly laugh. Been there way too many times for marathons.

Mike - I'm sorry about those issues

Deez - same for you and hope you heal up quickly

Quick - I hope your wife is better very quickly.

will keep you all in our prayers

Our holiday was spent with family and it was fun. Managed a quick 4 miles prior to dinner yesterday in some wicked winds that drove the chill temp into the single digits. Guess we sent those your way Jay. Sorry.

Taught my nephew who is 9 how to play Euchre. He liked it. Kind of a family tradition. Usually involves fun trash talking and needling

Managed 8 miles of trails today. Wind chill was near zero. Got the layering correct but had  icicles hanging off my eyelashes so seeing the trail was fun. Seems my eyes water more than past years in the cold. Anyone else have that issue? Just curious.

Loved those pics from yesterday.

Guess I better check to see what team gets saddled with me for next year. Heh.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I gotta go back and make this a screen saver or something.

Very peaceful and quiet just like

I knew it up in snow country days.

Great Christmas here in Seattle with snow on the ground (3") for the first time in ten years, non-stop Christmas carols all morning on one of the tv stations in addition to three 24/7 radio stations that'd been getting kind of old doing 'em since October, "Christmas Carol" Burnett marathon on another of the five-or-six stations my indoor antenna picks up.   Boston Pops Christmas Special was super, e.g. each of the "12-Days-of-Christmas" being related to other musical extravaganzas, e.g. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony for the "five-golden-rings," Sound of Music, Can-Can, etc.

Five morning miles in remnant snow here and there

as only goin’ up to 38o today so Frosty’s still standing tall, . . .

until it goes up to the higher forties starting tomorrow.

We’ll see.

Still waiting for my new Discover Card from the hack job last week. They sent it by FedEx and apparently it's been sitting in the Anchorage office since Friday morning! Geez, I could've driven there and picked it up long before now.

I know the feeling as DHL/FedEx’ing anything up to DD only 900 miles north of Seattle first goes 1,435 miles to sit around for a couple of days in the same “closest-city-to-Alaska-except-for-Seattle” (as we used to say about Anchorage when I lived there).  In the meantime, USPS Priority takes two days and USPS Express one-day for about half the price.

there's no wind and I might as well get a run in the daylight, right?

ps have a good run in the three-and-a-half hours of daylight up there now

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

deez4boyz rough way to spend Christmas. I am sorry to read about Justin. That gash on you face in your Facebook picture looked awful. But perhaps less painful than an hour on the treadmill!

Surly Bill heck if I were Santa I would have just stopped at your house and made myself at home for the evening.  You are some host! Funny about Christmas dinner. My parents did the same thing.

MIke E I hope Justin is in better shape than you suspect. As to your paces, these days I would be delirious to hit them when I am trying to do an interval workout.

tetsujin209 so do you run barefoot in the snow? 

Quickadder I hope they figure out the issue fast and your DW heals even faster.

evanflein I am big fan of Cornish game hens! I do not know why I hardly ever make them. Crab is another critter I think is really tasty. Are they cheap where you are? Ours are shipped from Alaska so they can be pretty pricey.

Holly S. geez when I cook I am lucky if anybody buzzes by and asks how I am doing, let alone stops to chat.  Nice that your family does not do that to you.

RunnerKSA nice pictures. Do elves get cold? I got a Fenix last year and really like it. Its instant satellite linkage is worth a lot this time of year when it is freezing out! Who wants to stand outside in 20 something degree temperatures while the watch syncs up?

tomwhite 25 in Tennessee! That seems really cold for there.

coastwalker I suspect your dinner was a big hit. I am not sure I view cooking in such metaphysical terms as in that essay. I do it as an escape from thought. While cooking I cannot think of work.

Dave59 with the cold front settling over the country I suspect that we better enjoy 25° temperatures. It looks like it is all downhill from here. 

evanflein I was out with DW and we were talking to a saleswoman about running in cold temperatures. I mentioned you willingness to run in sub-zero temperatures. The saleslady wanted to know how and I said you made sure you were all covered up. Then I went to your Facebook page to find a picture and amazingly there are none! I know you have posted pictures of your outfit here on RA where do you link from?

TamminGP I have some friends that are spousal equivalents. I am not entirely sure why they never bother to get married. Seems like the legal protections it offers are worth more than whatever might be the cost of a very unlikely at this point breakup. Try this cocktail, it goes down easy and you will be ready to sign up for that 100 mile race you have sensibly not been signing up for! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sloe-75-3205013

Tramps amazed you can bike in cold like that. My cycling friends packed it in with the current cold snap.

C-R icicles hanging off your eyelashes!  That would have sent me right back home.

Ran 13 today. It was cold enough that the roads were empty. Even the ducks abandoned floating in the local waterways. I took a few pictures along the way and you can see them in the relive video at https://www.relive.cc/view/g16493232912. While it was in the low 20's this morning for my run I fear that is the high temperature mark for the week. In the next few days highs are not supposed to crack 20. I agreed to run with my training partner on Thursday morning. I am really not looking forward to seeing how I do in temperatures somewhere in the mid-teens. This winter thing is a pain in the neck. Whose in charge of the weather? I am going to file a complaint.

In non-running news, I have been cooking for the past two days and glad to be done. My DW's family, as always, came to our place for dinner. We started with a ham chowder. Really good. It came from the Magnolia's Restaurant recipe book. Highly recommended recipe book and a great place to go for dinner if you are in Charleston, SC. Dessert was pecan bread pudding with a bourbon sauce. One of the family favorites. I was glad to hand the leftovers to my SIL and her spousal equivalent so that I did not wind up eating it all over the next few days! I am now done cooking for a few days. Not sorry at all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

you're funny TwoCat - there will be no 100 milers in my future. By ultra, I meant a 50K. that's the extent of my crazy.

That drink sure looks great! Might be making those on NYE - to serve to our guests coming over of course - not because I need to drink before signing up for some crazy race - although that may be a side effect 

6.5 miles for me this afternoon. Off to see Star Wars in a few hrs with David and my parents.

Tammy

Does anyone else feel like they can coast a bit for a while? The holiday season is nice, but it's nicer to get past it. New Year's Eve is amateur hour, we don't bother with that.

Sunny and lower 60's here this afternoon; running in shorts and t as usual.

7.8 @ 7:46

Twocat = lolz

Say, I've wracked my brain trying to decipher this code you all use. I figured out the H in DH means "husband", W =wife, D=daughter, etc but I cannot figure out the first "D". Does it stand for "damn"? Or my second guess, "dumb"? Surely not despicable, dastardly, delightful, daunting, deleterious, or designated....

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

^^^^. Dear.....   while I love my family members ( we’ll, most of the time), I have not embraced those designations!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth