Masters Running

The People of Masters Running (Read 56 times)

Dave59

I go through life half aware of what is going on around me. Concerned mostly of my own comfort and pleasure.

So, I had this idea that it might be humorous to do mini introductions of people here to help dnaff get up to speed. The reason I thought it would be humorous is because I usually get everything about people mixed up.

But as you can see, it didn’t turn out that great. I worked on it here and there the last few days. Sometimes I was giving background and sometimes it was the first thing that popped into my head when I see the name on the forum. No consistency or flow to it.

I was going to delete the whole thing, but after 3 days that seemed like a waste.  So here it is.

Feel free to correct all my errors. Don’t feel slighted if I don’t have much on some of you.  It takes years of going through life semi-aware before I learn anything about people.

SteveP – Northern (lower) Michigan. Met him twice. Once at the start of a Bayshore race and then at a Charlevoix race. Works a demanding physical job with a cast of strange folks. For some unexplained reason he now seems to recording a lot of 2-a-day runs with growing weekly mileage. Not sure when he has time to binge watch Netflix. He must be way behind on shows.

Tag – SteveP’s wonder dog. I met him twice too. He wishes SteveP would go faster in races.  He sometimes posts on the forum to provide clarifications of what really happened. Loves ice cream.

Coastwalker – Northeast. I picture the Boston area but that could be wrong.  Racewalker, and racewalking coach to people who want to learn. Organizes a half that people from the forum have done and have high praise for. It sounds like one I’d like to run.  (He may organize other races too.)  Works to save the coast from rising seas which means attending public meetings. Something I could never do.

Joe618 – Indiana. Sort of new on the forum. Training for Boston. Seems organized and disciplined in his running. That’s probably why he is training for Boston.

RunnerKSA – I was going to say Arkansas but I peeked at the profile and it says Tennessee. (I wasn’t going to do that.)  Doesn’t matter though because she is traveling somewhere all the time yet manages to keep running. Must work somewhere interesting and most people here seem to know where, but I wasn't paying attention the day that was made known.

Holly S. – Dayton, OH. Went through a lot of stress getting her first marathon done, but then has run dozens since. Met Holly at Charlevoix.  She’s the one who found the house to rent and organized everything for a great FE. Obsessed with the number 40.

Surely Bill – Southern California now but ran at the famous University of Oregon. Still is fast when he wants to be.

Fatozzig – Northern California. Has the best forum name to say out loud. Is mostly interested in events of 50 miles or more.

Anneb – Chicago. Isn’t too excited about waiting for and riding trains to work when it is 30° below zero. Seems to be a very consistent runner.

tetsujin209 – Pacific northwest and Japan. Runs barefoot or in strange sandals. Use to run races without training but seems to be running more lately. Writes some very long sentences that usually make sense if you read them slowly.

stumpy77 – Northeast (near Boston?).   Lately has been running to tire out his dog. He’s been around a while but nothing strange pops into my mind when I see him posting. I’ll have to work on that.

tomwhite – Tennessee near my favorite place I go to visit and hike once a year or so. Former pharmacist and pharmacy owner. Hip problems have him doing most his running in the pool where he has a series of abbreviations to describe his workouts that takes years to learn.

Quickadder – Not sure where Quickadder is from. He runs the mileage and pace I wish I was running.

C-R – Indiana. Seems to always post close to 200 in every month’s summary thread.

Mrrun – Boston. Married to Henrun. Does some archaeology work. I met mrrun and henrun at Green Bay a few years ago.

Henrun – Boston. Married to Mrrun. Pretty serious runner in his younger days. Ran Boston multiple times.

Jlynne – Green Bay. Hosted the Green Bay get together. She finished the half that year while I sat down at a water stop after about 8 miles and waited to see if I was going to live or die. Eventually the race was called off. 90° in Green Bay in May? I blame her for the weather since it is her home. 

Deez4boyz – Another Boston person.  Nurse where babies are born.

Tramps – I am embarrassed to say that I am constantly confusing Tramps and Twocat in my mind. Both start with “T”, both give some good advice in many areas, and both run way faster than me.  But Tramps is in Virginia and a Washington Capitals fan.

Twocat – The other half of the twin-T’s.  He is up north (Connecticut?) and makes Drunken Irish Soda bread.  He has a number of recipes on-line and I have tried the bread once.  It was good, but my wife is doing low-carb and making bread is too cruel to her so I only made it once.

Pfriese – Bearded adventurer in the Midwest.

Falconfixer – In charge of things in the military. Give me a few years and I’ll have learned some specifics.

Spacityrunner – I always see “space city runner” and think Huntsville or Houston, but it is really “spa city runner” and Arkansas.

Mike E – Minnesota. Mike is running marathons in all 50 states and getting close to the finish. Trying to break 3 hours in all of them. Hates to fly. I met Mike when I went back to the place of my birth to run the Buffalo Half and he was checking off NY State.  His son Eric was there too.

Evanflein – Alaska! Fast runner. What else needs to be said?

Mariposai – Somewhere in the pacific northwest. A transplant from South America. Paraguay I believe. I really need to pay better attention to what is going on. Organizes a race that looks like one I’d love to run, works (or volunteers) for an agency that helps folks find places to live (and more).

Bioguy – Out east somewhere, I think.  Teaches biology (and maybe other stuff too.)

Rochrunner – Old guy from Michigan.   He was at Charlevoix too.  Did we ever meet at the Crim with Tom (tselbs)?

TammyinGP – Somewhere in the pacific northwest.  Every once in while she’ll rip off a long trail run without breaking a sweat.

Wildchild – Colorado. Runs at super high elevation with scenery that most of us can only dream about.

dnaff – Northwestern Illinois. No matter how cold and snowy it was in Michigan when I lived there, she would always top me with worse weather where she lives.  Lets her house get too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Doesn’t like to sit still. She is always moving or doing something, so this bad weather she is having now must be killing her.

I pulled names from the last few days threads so no doubt I missed some but this is getting out of hand so enough is enough.

anneb

Thanks, Dave! I like it too. Being kind of new myself, it's hard to keep things straight Smile

Anne

TammyinGP

you done good Dave!

I haven't been posting the last couple weeks, so my name may not be familiar to a few of the brand new newbies, but I've been hanging with this bunch of master runners for 12 yrs now - starting out way back in the days of Coolrunning - Boomers & Beyond. damn!   I now make my home in So. Or. - but was in Seattle prior to that (1991-2000) and originally MN prior to that. Heading back to MN in about a month, so that snow better be gone! (can you do anything about that Mike?)

Tammy

What a great idea and I love the interpretation of who we all are (I, too, am a little off about where people are located sometimes).

Yes, I'm Karen and I'm in the Nashville area and am a lawyer for a very fun farm and ranch retail company.    I'm a Vanderbilt sports fan even though I'm not an alum (Joe and I went to competing schools-  IU for me and Purdue for him).  I try to run every day.   Anne and I are brand ambassadors for Oiselle and members of the Oiselle Volee team.  I've been in this group over 2 years now since I was banned from the RunningAhead women's group.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Thanks Dave!!

spacityrunner

Most excellent list!!

Trails Rock!

Falconfixer

Nicely done Dave.  Thanks

Henrun

Thanks Dave- I’m very impressed by your summary. You forgot to mention my Canadian roots.

C-R

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

stumpy77 – Northeast (near Boston?).   Lately has been running to tire out his dog. He’s been around a while but nothing strange pops into my mind when I see him posting. I’ll have to work on that.

Sounds more like I need to work on being more strange  interesting.  Excellent list, Dave--think you pay better attention than you think.  My DW would say that I do life pretty much the same way you do.  But I can get surprised by the same things over and over again.  Don't see anything wrong with that. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

<<Insert thumbs up emoticon here. >>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, Dave!  There is no way I would even try to do this.  You got mine perfect...except that It was Ryan, not Eric...and, while I am close to having all the states done, I've only done 9 under 3 hours...but, other than that...perfect!

Excellent synopsis, Dave! Thank you.

But minor correction: I'm in Northern CA, the San Francisco Bay Area. I think the Mason/Dixon line in CA is at Santa Cruz. And you forgot to mention dashingly handsome.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 – Use to run races without training but seems to be running more lately.

Tramps – Tramps and Twocat . . . both give some good advice.

scary.

However, please add yourself to the brilliancy of the “Double T’s” too for discovering something about me even I have been having trouble admitting as this January marked the first time in 42 years of running that I’ve ventured out on a regular basis for no other reason other than the running itself, e.g. not a race, no destination commuting somewhere, going to the store, a friend’s house, etc. as an excuse to run.

Not sure why but probably involved (1) the spring-like weather we were enjoying in January, (2) the live tracking, feedback for the every half mile I’ve set on my recently-discovered, photo-friendly, MapMyRun/Walk/Hike apps, and (3) discovering the network of 800 stairs in the nearby Hillside Park I never knew about.  

Good job.

thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Ha! This is awesome! And Tammy, I remember you started posting in the Boomers & Beyond forum on Cool Running before you were 40! Quite scandalous, I can assure you. 

I'm Erika, not evan, but have sort of gotten used to evan over the years. Been in Alaska all my life with, as DH would say, time off for good behavior. Well, maybe him cuz he went to school in Arizona. I went to Wisconsin so no real relief from winter there. Started running in my 40's and also on the 50 states marathon kick, but no illusions (delusions?) of any time goals for those. I run a lot of marathons with Holly, and we always have a blast!

Hey, it would be fun to try to remember how many of us we've met in real life! <goes off to start remembering and counting...>