Masters Running

Thursday 6/29/23 Runs and Other Stuff (Read 38 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

Tet - I'm with your DW - it sounds like your 10th floor views will be lovely.

Re: work - there's really nothing wrong with my job.  I work for two attorneys, one of whom is okay to work for, and the other, well, he's kind of grumpy.  It's to be expected that when you work directly under someone that you are not always going to totally happy with them, and the same is true for them.  And while I was pretty nervous about starting in a new area of practice (for me), I am finding that I like probate, for the most part.  Maybe I have been expecting too much.  Somehow as I am in that last 10 years before retirement I thought I should find a job that I am happy to go to every day, instead of feeling like, "Is it the weekend yet?"  Maybe I am being unrealistic.  I should just focus on trying to do a good job where I am instead of being discontent and focusing on the negative.  I am in fact, grateful to HAVE a job, even if it is not perfect.

2.05 miles for me today in 61 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Holly, and nice 2-and-a-scootch miler this morning.

I'm glad you got in a good smoke-free 3+ miler, Dave. Thanks for yesterday's beautiful photo.

Good molasses-free 6.25-miler, Jlynne. What will you be selling at the art walk?

I'm so glad your case of Covid was quick and mild, KSA. Good neighborhood 4.5-miler. I'll take a look at the FB page for runners over 70, but probably won't join because I don't want to invest any more time on FB.

Sorry about your bad smoke, dnaff. Indoor workouts or rest day sound like good options.

I'm glad, and not the least surprised about your positive attitude, Henrun. Shouldn't we all be taking it one day at a time? Soulds like good indoor cycling and weights yesterday. Enjoy your lunch with DS.

It's good to have favorite words, Holly, and you picked two good ones. One of mine is 'juxtaposition'. Nice 2.2-fer yesterday. If I was angry enough with my boss that I'd want to share the issue with him/her, I'd go to the office for a chat...

Congrats on a successful signing, Tet, and on having the opportunity to move up to a better view, if you chose to, in the Fall. I'm glad you had good weather for the backyard staging of stuff. Sorry you fell out of bed. Guard rails???

Sounds like an amazing WSER weekend, Leslie, and a good time at your new post. Scary about the injured runner, but so good that so many jumped in to help. Thank you for volunteering again.

Sounds like a good call to skip the ride and head to the gym yesterday, Doug. If your DW was suffering, that says the smoke clearly has an effect on people.

Welcome back, Tomwhite, and good work on the soccer fields.

Nice sproinky, neighborhood 4-miler, Wildchild. Enjoy today's long run with friends.

Good 6-miler in high hum, sub7. I'll bet everyone had fun at the zoo.

Good 22 mile ride in the humidity, Tramps.

Good 6.1 at-home miles, moebo. Good luck weighing the pros and cons of renting your property next summer. I'm sure you'll make the right call for you and your DH.

8 miles is a good run at any speed, Mike. And your 'slow' would be my 'working my butt off'.

Good 3-fer, Steve. And nice dewey photos, except for #3 which looked all but black to me.

My 7:00 meeting last night was an interesting meeting of a brand new group created to guide the implementation of the action steps in the town's new master plan. It won't be without its challenges. And two of us agreed, as we were leaving after the meeting, that they chose the wrong person to lead the group. It was clear, based on his responses/comments on several issues last night, that he just sees things differently than just about everyone else. Ho boy...

I went to our massage therapist yesterday afternoon, and she had a lot of work to do to get some of the stress and tension out of my back and shoulders. I think last weekend's trip was tougher on me than I thought.

I felt myself bubble out of a very sound sleep at about 3:50 this morning, and so got up and dressed and headed out. It wasn't the workout that I wanted, but it was still a decent 6.45 mile jaunt around the neighborhood. At 66°, there wasn't too much hea, but it was soupy out there and there sure was a lot of hum. Afterward, I did 35 minutes of stretching and core work.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dnaff

Run 2 walk 2 for 2 miles this morning.  Smoke is still hazardous but I’m going stir crazy in the house.  I’m not one for air conditioning but I turned it on when I got home to keep it breathable.  So far just the fan is running but I suppose the compressor will kick in late morning.

my running club is doing track workouts tonight.  4 x 400 with equal recovery.  The text said don’t worry about the smoke it will be better tonight.  Ok, they are mostly 30 yr olds who think they are invincible.  My morning slog was plenty.  The upside is the hs track is across the street from the emergency room.

Dave59

3.52 miles this morning. Humidity was back making an appearance. The run has not shown up here yet.

The smoke from earlier in the week that was brought in by a low pressure system and winds from the north is making a comeback today as a high pressure system takes over and is blowing the smoke back in from the south. At least that's what we are being told. The air quality has been gradually getting worse as the day progresses.

Thanks, Holly, for starting us and thanks, Jay, for an excellent recap.   Tet- I would want the 10th floor, but I can see how the bottom is more convenient.   Holly- it would be nice if you could really like your job.  I was fortunate my last 10 years and I never took it for granted.  But oh how quickly things can change!

Senior Olympics is a wrap.  Got the gold in the 10K (no one else in my age group) but pushed anyway.  I'm glad it's over.  It was warm and I was by myself most of the time.  I got past some people at 2 miles and it was pretty much a time trial after that.  I feel like my breathing is not quite 100%- probably from COVID.  I was about 2:45 slower than last year, but it really doesn't matter.  Now I want to just take it easy!

Henry- great attitude and you know what to do!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

I ran 5.1 last night when it cooled off to about 86. At least in the shady area that I run in at home, that sure felt a lot cooler than the mid 90's it was when I left work at 4:45.

Then I got up for a 5.6 mile run this morning at 6:00 a.m. Now that run felt marvelous in the cool morning air! And tonight at 6 is the weekly brew crew run. Just 3 miles and I'll slog through that one since we are expecting another mid 90's day.  Then I'm off work until next Wednesday.

Ok, gotta get things done at work - buyeeeee!

Tammy

Congrats KSA on another gold medal!

Holly, has there been any fall-out from your email?

I got moved out of a department once when I sent my dept head a strongly worded email. The dept head was a narcissistic, huge ego, bizarrely competitive-with-me person who clearly had the beginning of Alzheimer's, and I was always fixing his mistakes, which of course, he didn't like. I'm sure he wanted to fire me but the CEO wasn't going to allow that. They moved me into a dept where I reported to 2 wonderful women and learned so much which greatly helped my career. So the email ended up being a really good thing.

Pretty tired from driving DS to the airport late last night, dropping him off, then getting a phone call almost when I was home that his flight was cancelled and I went back to pick him up.  You guessed it, United Airlines. They had cancelled his flight 2 days before as well. He is very frustrated. I think he should chill here for a week and book another airline to get to his destination.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks for the start, Holly, and the recap, Jay.

Congrats on the gold, KSA!

Sorry so many of you are dealing with crappy air quality.

Tammy - Send some sun our way!  We literally have had no sun for almost 2 weeks now.  We've been a consistent 55 and muggy/dewy in the mornings and bleh the rest of the day.  The outdoor plant life at my house is not very happy and neither am I.  Supposedly, we're supposed to get sun this weekend and hit a blistering 63.  I'll believe it when I see it.

6 miles this a.m. with speed work.  I don't know what you'd call it, but it was:

3 min fast, 3 min slow

2 min fast, 2 min slow

1 min fast, 1 min slow

I started it around the 2.5 mile mark.  I had to really concentrate on the 3 min fast part to keep a sustainable pace.  So far, my coach has given me speed work that doesn't feel torturous. . . . Although, she wants me to get some climbing during my LR on Saturday and do some hill sprints.  I know where I'm going to run, and I'm trying to figure out which of the God-awful climbs to use. 

Okay - Onward and upward ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

and hit a blistering 63. 

Snork!  Just remind yourself about the mild weather you get in the winter when we are all freezing our butts.

Holly, has there been any fall-out from your email?

Not yet (that I know of).  I did send the grumpy attorney an email this morning, apologizing and saying that I had been feeling frustrated yesterday.  I'm hoping I can just crawl back to my cubicle in the back and stay out of his way.  Out of sight, out of mind.  The other attorney (the one I like, for the most part) will return from vacation next week, and I am surprised to say that I will be happy at his return.  I really just want to do a good job, but not getting much clear direction is sometimes frustrating.

KSA - nice racing!

Dave - that was a lovely picture yesterday.

Steve - you too, although the last one was black for me too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

excellent KSA.......

===============

got back

from shooting

in time for our TORNADO WARNING>>>>>>>>>drat

so

no ARC Trainer today

..........Be Safe to the rest of ya

if you're in this things' path, looks kinda nasty........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, thought I'd check in and say, "Hey!" to everyone.  I've said before that I'm not going to say it can't get much busier, but of course it can.  Wrapped up the first online course and immediately went to the summer semester (we started late for the winter semester) plus it's two classes so oddly, the amount of time needed....doubled.  Work has also been quite busy; soon to be some churn on the staff.  May involve me later this year, but in the meantime I'm picking up some additional duties, one of which is quite cool.  I'm (probably) going to be the alternate career field manager for the aircraft maintenance officers in the entire command.  Nice way to spend the last couple of years, providing a bit more focused mentoring.  And that's pretty much all I can get into in this venue work-wise.

As far as running goes, got to spend a week at Buckley SFB (Space Force Base--still trying to get used to that) in the Denver area early in June.  June was also pretty mild for the most part (compared to most years) but this week is trying to make up for it.  I got in 7.14 miles before work, then at lunch added another 6+.  Quite warm.

Need to do the homework for these two classes and an additional project related to the diaconate, but more directly for our formation director(s).  Have a gr8 night everyone!

Hi, Falcon!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Falcon, hope you waved in my direction when you were at the Space Force base here!

Karen, congrats on the gold medal!

Tet, your 10th floor views sound like they will be greta!  I think I'd miss easy access to going outside if I lived on an upper floor, though.  Does your initial ground floor apartment have a porch or door directly to the outdoors?  My parents moved to a senior living place last year, and they're on the ground floor, with a patio.  Quite nice.

I had a fun 17 mile run today, doing the Boulder Skyline Traverse with two friends.  It's a point to point trail, and hits the 5 mountains that form the western view from Boulder - Mt Sanitas, Flagstaff Mountain, Green Mountain, Bear Peak, and South Boulder Peak.  They're not high elevation ( the highest is maybe 8,400 ft) but loads of elevation gain/loss - about 5,200 ft for the day.  Thunderstorms moved in when we were headed up Bear Peak, so we tagged the peak and hustled down, deciding to skip South Boulder Peak.  It started raining shortly after, but we were dropping down a steep canyon and got below treeline. We sat under a rock overhang for a few minutes to avoid a hailstorm, then kept heading down. The sun came back out for the final couple of miles. Here are a few pictures:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wildchild - I loved the alpine flowers and rich smells of spring in the mountains.

Thanks for the feedbacks on the mve into sr housing I've been dreading all my life but now that it's happening, I can hardly wait.

Though no patio, I was thinking the first floor corner apt that miraculously opened up (just as we were figuring out that options were so slim here that we'd emigrate to Japan) would be so convenient for getting in-and-out, especially with the bike that I was thinking could turn me into a West Coast version of Roch in my retirement years is an emergency door exit only so I'm stuck with coming in and out of the main entrance past the office and probably always one more more of the 200 residents to get involved with my biking, etc. so, if it's going to be inconvenient, might as well have a view, . . . if it works out this fall as the manager indicated.

KSA - nice sr games, especially in light of all your travel woes plus COVID..

enke - speaking of travel, all the student travel coming home last week was supposed to be the biggest travel weekend since COVID but expanding the Fourth of July weekend to four days is apparently making this weekend worse.

Holly - sounds like you're walking on eggshells. Good luck with your lifeline attorney.

Falcon - fantastic so much happening for you. Nice. However, stop in with anything of interest from next month's TdF.

Steve - thanks. Back to normal and didn't fall out of the bed again last night, . . . otherwise, I was thinking of strapping myself in like Bering Sea days.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

KSA - Your performance is fantastic.

Falcon Fixer!!!!

I dragged myself out for a mile at 4:00.  Our dog, Dunkin wanted to go, which is very unusual anymore.  A mile was more than enough for him.

SteveP