Masters Running

Humping along, 11.20.19 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday:

- Nice Monkey week runs, KSA. And nice shoes too!

- Good workout while your eye recovers, Jlynne.

- Good work on the soccer field, Tomwhite. Glad your back is better.

- I agree that running and math don't mix, Anneb.

- That was a packed 3-miler, Rochrunner. I'm glad the wildlife and roadlife did no damage.

- Good workout,and nice photo, Fatozzig.

- Good poolwork by the goose whisperer.

- Good run, Henrun, for a NOT cranky old man.

- Good XC miles, Surly Bill.

- Nice run in drifting weather, Joe.

- Welcome back, Pfriese. Nice afternoon 5er.

- Nice intervals on the obstacle course, Falconfixer.

- Good run/walk, Mariposai. Sorry about the deer damage, but better to the car than to you.

- Good pacing for your 10K on the TM, Evanflein.

- Good early TM mile, Steve, and later Dunkin mile.

- Good luck finding new running routes, Dave.

- Sorry about the loss of Pierre, Dnaff. He seems to have had a good long life.

- Good job of outsmarting RRS, Twocat.

- I'm sorry about your DH's diagnosis, Wildchild. However, I'm glad to know the prognosis is positive.

I've also seen quite a few wild turkeys lately, but they and I have stayed out of each other's way. With it being hunting season, the deer are a little more scarce than they were in the summer/fall.

I woke up and got out early today, and so went 7 RW miles in 37° temps. I started easy in my first mile and then, sort of like Evanflein, kept picking up the pace a bit for each new mile. I had negative splits all along, except for #6, which I missed by just a few seconds. So it goes.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Carolyn--like everyone, I'm saddened that you have to deal with this but hope the treatment prognosis is in your favor.

Wasn't feeling it today for some reason but I talked myself into getting out there. Ironically, I ended up going a little faster than usual on this just-get-it-done run, even with a slowdown to walk a bit with a neighbor who was out for her morning exercise. Mind over matter, I guess. 5 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning Jay. Thanks for the start and recap. And great RW this morning! Gotta love 37° in the morning at this time of year.

Tramps - some times those runs you're not looking forward to turn out to be the most pleasing.

Carolyn - I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's cancer. It sounds like he's on a good path for treatment though. Prayers to both of you.

Gee Henry. I don't think you're cranky. But maybe that's why you got new digs in the city. Now you can't yell "get off my lawn" at all of the kids who walk by! And speaking of aging, when did doctor's offices and hospitals start asking questions about being depressed and thinking about suicide? Is this unique to patients over the age of 65? It makes me angry, but also sad that they feel like they need to ask this sort of stuff.

Love your Christmas shoes Karen! All you need is to tie some sleigh bells in the laces. That should drive your dogs nuts!

Nice to see Paul and Mariposai's posts yesterday.

We had similar temps to Jay's this morning, so I went out with the Y girls for 4.5 miles. It felt great to get outside! They were kind enough to walk with me today instead of the normal run, and it was great to have their company.  I tried to go to work yesterday. All of the up/down motion with my head trying to wait on customers and having that bubble move around every time I did made me sick to my stomach! I didn't finish out the day and asked them to take me off the schedule until this weekend. At least the bubble is getting smaller

Hope everyone's vision is perfect today. Don't take it for granted! Have a good one folks.

Joe618

Good reminder...jlynne, just being able to see is an amazing gift. 

Thanks for the start, Jay

Paul, great to hear from you, was wondering how you were doing.

Super busy day here, (so what else it new??).   Rock yours, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

dnaff

Thanks for your kind words about Pierre everyone.   The dog is currently getting lots of extra love.

We had a sock discussion last week and Thorlo came up often as a fav sock.  There is a discount code of C191120 at National Running Center today for 25% off.  Happy shopping.

I got out for a late afternoon run in the damp yesterday.  Ran to the soccer fields (trying to be TomWhite)   Today is a board meeting at the food pantry followed by some yoga.

Wildchild, sorry for you news.  You've got this - we're all cheering for you.

Mariposie - so sorry about your deer damage.  Glad you are ok.

BTY

Happy Humpday, Runners,

I swam 1.25 miles in the pool this morning in 43:07.    I had a workout planned as follows:

450 yards crawl in 8:15...........(Actual 8:08)

450 yards backstroke in 8:50..(Actual 8:50)

450 yards crawl in 8:20...........(Actual 8:20)

450 yards backstroke in 9:00..(Actual , but also rested for about 20 seconds to drink some water to avoid foot cramps)

450 yards crawl in 8:30...........(Actual 8:20 plus an accidental rest of less than 10 seconds)

My goal was to finish in just under 43:00, but I wound up at 43:07 because when I finished 2,200 yards I thought I was done and then realized after about 10 seconds that I stopped one lap too early, and swam almost as fast as I could (not very, at that point) to see if I could still get it in under 43:00.   I'm quite satisfied with the 43:07 time since if I had not had water on the brain I would have realized I needed to keep going and would no doubt have come in just under the wire.  And actually I'm going to blame some of the falling off of pace on sharing a lane with another swimmer during the 2nd 450 yards of backstroke.  Sharing a lane while swimming on my back just makes me a little trigger shy on the arm that is in the middle of the lane, not wanting to hit the other swimmer.   This gentleman was a bit of a newbie and didn't really understand the whole "stay on your side" rule of thumb.   Had he been a goose, no doubt he would have extended me that courtesy.  At least a Canadian one, eh.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi folks, playing a little bit of catch-up, since I missed yesterday.  I was doing my weight routine and threw in a couple of yoga cat-cow stretches, and tweaked my back.  Yeah, I gave myself a yoga injury.    So I worked from home yesterday and took it easy, and I'm better today, unless I move suddenly.  Sneezing is an adventure.  But although I skipped weights this morning, I still managed to bike in.

Good days, all!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.

Wildchild - Well that just stinks.  But it sounds like there's some great treatments available.  And having Tom as a resource may prove invaluable.

Poise - Dang those deer!  Did it have insurance??  Glad you weren't hurt.

Tramps - Your knee must not be as cranky with running as it used to be (?).  That's excellent news.

KSA - Those shoes look like they'd be hot!

I got in 40 min of ellipticalling after work yesterday, plus more upper body and core work on the equipment that I have no idea what they're called - except the pull up/dip equipment.  That's fairly self-explanatory.  The other 2 - I have no idea.  Someone told me the Roman Chair, but when I pull that up, I get 2 different pieces of equipment, both of which I'm using.

Nothing today yet, but I brought my clothes to go for a walk at lunch.  My quads are pleasantly tired from pushing the ellipticalling yesterday.

Enjoy ~~

Image result for wednesday funny quotes

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Gee Henry. I don't think you're cranky. But maybe that's why you got new digs in the city. Now you can't yell "get off my lawn" at all of the kids who walk by! And speaking of aging, when did doctor's offices and hospitals start asking questions about being depressed and thinking about suicide? Is this unique to patients over the age of 65? It makes me angry, but also sad that they feel like they need to ask this sort of stuff.

Jeanne- I’m glad your vision is improving.

A mental health screening is becoming more important for everyone, especially the elderly and the young as suicidal rates are going sky high.

No running today, but some walking as I’m trying to catch up on my rest from the weekend. In a couple of hours I’m seeing the new movie “The Irishman “ with Robert Deniro. Hope I can sit through the 3 hours plus.

And I’m working on my crankiness😇.

I guess I was in a rush this morning and missed my camel day start! Thanks Jay.

I think the Monkey half is separate due to course capacity, volunteers etc.  I wish the races were together. 

3.1 outside miles this morning.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's cancer. It sounds like he's on a good path for treatment though. Prayers to both of you.

+1  Keep us posted.

And Jlynne - all the doctor visits around here seem to have that whole depression questioning as well.  I want to start answering, "Well, I wasn't depressed before, but answering these same surveys at every visit is starting to depress me!"

No time right now, but will stop later.  3.7 miles for me today in 40 degrees.  I find that I am examining every sidewalk crack with trepidation these days.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

For anyone dealing with hamstring issues, this is one of the best videos I've seen explaining proximal hamstring tendinopathy - causes, treatment, etc.

Interesting Take Aways:

Menopause/changes in hormones can cause issues with tendons.  Dang you, Menopause!!

Stop Stretching.  You can't strength your way out of this condition.  It can make matters worse.

Limit Sitting.  This is a compression injury, and sitting only continues compression on the area.  Once things are getting better . . .

Gradually Return to Sitting.  Once your condition is improving, you have to train that area to allow sitting again.

Correct Strength Training.  It's important!  See your PT!  Get the right exercises to do at the right time.

Don't Do the Activity that Causes the Problem.  This is self-explanatory, but so many people ignore this.

Anyway - I think this is an important video for runners to watch, if for no other reason than to at least make you aware of hamstring tendinopathy so, if it starts to rear its ugly head, you can nip it in the bud quick.  Proper strengthening of the hips and glutes is extremely important in prevention and recovery.

Okay - Back to your regularly scheduled program ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After yesterday's serious violation of rule no. 1, woke up at regular-o’clock this morning and, with only a dozen or so leaves in the yard to pick up by hand under a crescent moon, took advantage of the starry skies to do a double circuit of the Hillside trails for five miles and 2,000 stairs as the sun gradually broke through too.

At the end of the second circuit at the top of the 110 stair stairway I like, when I stopped to retrieve gloves originally warranted by the 41F morning nip and headlamp I’d ditched under some leaves by a big firm and tree trunk as the Hillside'd warmed me up on an earlier circuit, I pulled out a different pair of gloves, I guess, left by someone else, and, then, next to them, a Petzl headlamp just like the one I’ve been trying to locate after one of last week’s j-o’clock runs. Hmmm, on closer look, the gloves were exactly like the Alaska Summit ones I’ve been trying to put my hands on too ever since then. . . . . . . oh, hey, I suddenly realized, I guess I found my missing gloves and headlamp. . Had no idea that’s where they were.

Image may contain: grass, shoes, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

<Very flaky Internet connectivity today thru our provider so pardon if this gets multi-posted or whatever>

Carolyn, like everyone else here, I'm very sorry to hear about your DH's condition. Keep us posted as we all send vibes for a positive outcome.

Based on my recent activity, I really felt the need to work up a good sweat today so set up my bike trainer in the basement for a short session. Instead of a long warmup as I usually do, I went for it right from the start and rode 7 miles in about 32 minutes, getting my HR up and accomplishing my goal.

Now a shower and coffee ahead with a slice of bread. I tried a new recipe yesterday and baked a loaf of "whole wheat beer bread." It's great (as of course anything with beer would be) and has a decent fiber and protein content. Plus very quick and easy to make (a batter bread -- no yeast or raising).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Hi all - I'm way behind in reading because of being away (of course the 'not cranky one' has time to read)

((wildchild and DH)) and additionally to ((dnaff, posie))

all I can say is ++ to Jay's recap

was supposed to walk mega hill with 5 women, but cold and rain cancelled it, so we caught up over coffee.  I did go out earlier for 2+ miles with hopefully more this afternoon

stay warm,

marj