Masters Running

Tuesday January 27 run and fun! (Read 546 times)

Meg... it's not getting worse. (same with your knee? sorry to nag)
    No, not getting worse and even getting a bit better albeit verrrry slowly. What are the specifics on your injury? Is it definitely piriformis or more a hamstring thing? What caused it to get better before? I ran through both bouts of piriformis. The first lasted several months and the second only about a month. I found that stretching helped a lot, as did adductor and abductor exercises (that machine at the gym that works both was a life saver to me). I would say that if it is getting better, just keep at the running and whatever else you are doing to help.

Once a runner . . .

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

More miles than degrees this morning. I didn't get out until 8 a.m. as I slept in a bit. I took the morining off to take Mom to an eye doctor appointment. Shooting pains in her right eye. All will be okay though and no surgery needed. She is relieved to say the least! -2°, 6 miles, 11 m/m pace and 164 avg. hr. I could not believe the frost that was on my face when I got home!! Luckily no school busses went by - I may have given some kids nightmares tonight had they seen me.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

ok, will itemize a little. Slo_hand... I'm really interested in your comment about 6 day a week running helping w/injuries. I'm 4-5 days. Wait to increase till it's better? Diet.. just generally healthy? I am getting slowly better, though it's been longer than 2 weeks. Do you think it matters a lot that this is a repeat injury? 6 mo. the first time.. then again in July, not as bad, & now, again, not as bad. Hmm. the lesson... don't ever listen to my advice!
        Most are under the assumption that high mileage leads to injuries. Rather it is the building of miles. Although I don't have the time to point you to specific studies re: this they can be easily found on the internet. This seems to also include frequency. One theory re: frequency is daily workouts delivers nutrient rich blood to the area's being worked. It also brings the bodies natural anti-inflamatories. I'm not making a recommendation but just throwing this out for something for you to look into. Keeping your current MPW, cut a daily run or two back and just take a little 2 miler for the 6th day. There are tons of theories and everyones body responds differently.......for me it is usually harder to come back after a non-running rest day than had I gone out for a really easy run. Granted.....I experienced the oopposite to what I just said just this week but that was fatigue....not injury. (fatigue is a pre-cursor to injury though) If you have access to a phyiscal therapist I'd take your repeat qx to him. If you think your injury has been getting better you could always try 2 - 3 days off completely and see......????? Bottom Line.....Injuries suck ! It takes years and years to harden yourself against injuries. Diet.......I really do believe in this one. Look up the super foods and make sure some of them are part of your daily diet. If your over 40......spinach every single day. Better than milk for making bones strong, besides a whole host of other benefits. My home is never without Fresh Fruit, spinach, yogurt, oats, and tea. I get my junk food.....DQ, pizza and Beer for sure. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=43 dg......I realize this is all pretty vague but that's kinda the nature of injuries........I can only go back to my HS CC Coach and his belief......injury proofing yourself.
        xor

Ilene - I believe SR is planning to run Surf City, and Arla is running the half. Have fun!!
          For clarification, in this thread, most folks think of spareribs as "SR" and spareribs is not coming to Surf City as far as I know. I am, though (fingers crossed), and I seem to be "SR" in other parts of this board. Here I am "SRL" or "smartass". My dad used to yell sometimes. I'd ask him why he was yelling and he'd say that he was NOT. He was (think of this with a Ricky Ricardo accent) "talking loud". That's Billy Mays! He ain't yelling. He's talking loud. Always.

Marathon Maniac #957

For clarification, in this thread, most folks think of spareribs as "SR" .... and I seem to be "SR" in other parts of this board. Here I am "SRL" or "smartass".
            Ahhh, I see....Smart@ss, not to be confused with Hard@ss.....thanks for the clarification.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

For clarification, in this thread, most folks think of spareribs as "SR" and spareribs is not coming to Surf City as far as I know. I am, though (fingers crossed), and I seem to be "SR" in other parts of this board. Here I am "SRL" or "smartass".
              Okay, Smartass it is. Big grin

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

8 miles on the TM. No fancy stuff like Holly but I did 4 miles slow 5.4mph (11? pace) and one mile at 6.7mph (8:57) one mile slow again, one mile at 7.0mph (8:35 pace) then one mile slow. Kind of a "mini-wave run" but I'd hate to say that cause then I would owe the inventor some royalties. w.r.t hill sprints: I enjoyed them until I torqued my foot and had to take a week off running. Now all we need is a Bad@ss.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

Everyone is writing @ss. My brain processes that as at-ss. Bad@ss, Dumb@ss, Hard@ss. They sound like smeagol/gollum is talking. Bad-at-ss. I do prefer @ss to a$$. Bada-money.

Slo

Everyone is writing @ss. My brain processes that as at-ss. Bad@ss, Dumb@ss, Hard@ss. They sound like smeagol/gollum is talking. Bad-at-ss. I do prefer @ss to a$$. Bada-money.
                    That's the $h!t !
                      Did I offend anyone by using "a" instead of "@"?? Well, cr@ppol@ if I offended @nyone. $orry!! Reminds me of when my mom would use her ring finger to flip someone off instead of her middle finger. We'd tell her, "You're thinkin' it, Mom, you might as well do it right." Her reply, "Oh, I couldn't do that!" Which would bring about a family mental eye roll. But consider the fact that this came from a woman who at age 40+ didn't know what "pecker" meant, and we're not talkin' your friendly cartoon Woody Wood Pecker, either. (Again, my apologies if anyone is offended. Wink )

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

3.25 very slow miles on the TM at the gym. I was visiting with John the entire time, so never did move out of my warm up pace to a quicker running pace. But that's okay. We had a good 35 minute visit catching up on stuff.

Tammy

xor

Speaking of running, I took Tobias the Frankenwiener to doggie physical therapy today and he got to spend time on the water treadmill. Pool running for dogs! It was hilarious. Spendy, but hilarious. As for me, I'm about to go run 7-9 easy miles. Perhaps on a treadmill depending on what I see on the radar.

Y'all are cracking me up today (said in Billy Mays full voice style). One of my colleagues will raise her two pinky fingers like Mini Me when she is annoyed with us. She's flipping us off in Metric says she.....it confuses the foo out of folks when she does that in public, but we get the point. Fatozzig! The pecker story made me laugh...oh dear. My mother's first language is German and Swiss--German at that. Many words do not translate at all and oh the stories I could tell.
                            Tramps

Leslie—thanks for the advice; I might just try that. Mary gets a tough run award. Brrrrrr. Am I the only one who had to Google "Billy Mays." Confused What is this, potty mouth day?

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

All I can say is one day without Roy and his Woody, and all hell is breaking loose on this thread! Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!