Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.28.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s thumperlicious workouts:

Stumpy (5 miles in real and mental fog, with nature intruding)

RunnerKSA (2.6 preflight, pre-meetup TM miles)

Deeze (2,000 meter swim + 11 min pool running)

Marj (3+ morning miles)

Holly (6 morning TM miles)

Fatozzig (30-40 min of core and upper body strength training)

Pfriese (6 EZ-PZ morning taper miles)

Evanflein (4.3 EZ miles)

Spacityrunner (4.1 delicious, good for the soul, pre-sunset, trail miles)

Wildchild (10 rolling trail miles with altitude attitude)

Tammy (quick little 3.7 post-work miles)

Have fun at the RA meetup, RunnerKSA! Who is going to be there?

Sorry about the left-behind bathing suit, Deeze. Did you have any luck getting your bone scan results?

You can make it through 2 rest days, CMDan - you can do it.

I’m glad you had a good visit with DD, GD1 and GS, Marj.

I hope DD’s lacrosse games went well last night, Holly. Good for you for staying for both.

I’m glad you are sticking with us, Fatozzig, and I am feeling your pain as well. Scary story about Heidi, and good question at the end for her. I don’t need to know the answer…

Evanflein, how many times have you ‘quit’ that same job? Yes, where is Jlynne, and Twocat too?

Mike, I sure as heck do deserve to be shouted at, because I should know better. Yes, I’m afraid that it is too much to ask to be able just run (or walk) how we want and as much as we want without any concern for the potential damage we could do. We are hurting somebody when we do that - ourselves. I’m glad you got out to dinner with Debbie - I’ll bet you both did need it, and I hope it helped.

Good for you for running the mountain, Spacityrunner.

Welcome back to altitude, Wildchild.

Mariposai - so sorry about the asthma. But I know you are so well prepared for the OIB Half that you will have any and all eventualities more than covered, and that your racers will all have a great time in your race.

An EZ 2.3 foggy miles for me, followed by lots of stretching.

Wishing great racing to this weekend’s competitors:

04/29 CallMeDan - Hall of Fame Run 3K, Plano TX

04/30 pfriese - Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon, Oklahoma City, OK

04/30 Opie - Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Relay (10k leg), Oklahoma City, OK

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

dg.

good morning Jay, & all who follow!

Jay, I dunno, seems like you were trying to be careful,   weren't you?  though.  if it was the apparently typical master's runners version of careful, ok, we'll yell at you.   and each other.  that could be an interesting gathering, huh?  ;  )

trying not to type as much so most of my shout outs are silent....

tw, what is a 15-hour Pharmacy CE, and why will you be there?

re Early Tuesday, ... just pretend you're in a relay.    (possibly in Oregon, in the woods, surrounded by bear pies.  just sayin'...)

an unreported 5.75 yesterday a.m. with windage and hillage.

pt this morning.   video taped running on a tm, which brings 2 of my favorite things together.    tee hee.

taking one of your hugs, Marj, thanks.   hope the visit with dd & dgc was good!

sending out hugs to all who need one.  or two.

mta. welcome, new Holly!

Tramps

EZ 5.5. Bright sunshine; warm and humid. Whew.

The injury stuff is a downer and the responses are all cliches, I suppose.  But it seems to me there's not much you can do except:

1. pay attention to your body,
        2. adjust accordingly when injuries arise,
        3. commit to preparing better for the long haul (for most of us that's more stretching, strength work, rest, etc),
        4. do what you can, and
        5. be grateful for #4. 

I've been fortunate with limited injuries (so, I know, easy for me to talk) but there are people on this forum who are inspirational in the way they persevere every day.  And as my mother used to always remind us in the face of difficulties, "There are a lot of people with a lot bigger problems."  Wise woman.

Speaking of philosophy...some guys around here might want to keep this in mind as a retirement strategy:

“I used to say, every day, ‘I am so sick and tired of shaving.’ I had to shave every day, every day, for 33 years. And even before that when I was working on local TV. And I just thought, the first thing I will do when I am not on TV is stop shaving. And everybody hates it. My wife hates it. My son hates it. But it’s interesting. I’ve kind of developed a real creepy look with it that I’m sort of enjoying. And I can tell that people are off-put by it. And the more people implore me to shave, the stronger my resolve is to not shave."

Come to think of it, some of us already have.

Have a great weekend.  Go racers!

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Wishing all the racers a great weekend! Go get that BQ Paul!!

Only working til 11 today, then it's the company bowling tournament this afternoon. 

Busy weekend for me but with our first perfect weekend in the forecast (mid 70's and sunny) I sure wish I could be home all weekend to get my garden all prepped for planting.

Tomorrow at noon, I'm working the afternoon at our spring garden fair. I'll be working a semi-political booth providing info on an upcoming measure on the ballots.  But then I'm sure I'll find the time to walk around the garden fair and probably buy stuff that I won't have time to plant yet.

And Sunday will be fun as we are going to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival to see Henry IV.  I wish this was at the outdoor theatre but that one is not even open yet for plays, I don't think, because weather is too unpredictable.  But we'll find a place to go have some lunch before the play so we can sit outside. I have 4 tix, so David will be inviting a friend to join us. He's already gone 3 times through different school functions, but the OSF will be a first time experience for DH and I. I can't believe we've lived here 17 yrs and have never gone when this is a vacation destination for so many others.  I guess you sometimes just take for granted the things in your backyard that others plan entire trips to see. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

Tammy

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.  Take care of that dang hammy!

Tramps - Love the quote from Letterman.

Tammy - Have fun!  We've only been the Festival once, but we had a great time.

Nancy - As a fellow asthma suffered, I know what you're going through.  Maybe extra pollen in the air?  Is there some dampness somewhere you're not noticing?  Good luck with your race this weekend.  I'm sure it'll be a success.

Tet - No, there's nothing topical that can help, except ice.  I do a lot of icing.  My PT said this type of bursitis not common, so at least I've got that going for me! 

40 min of core/upper ST this a.m.  If nothing else, I might actually look halfway decent in sleeveless tops this year! 

Our legal professionals association is having its first ever rummage sale this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.  We're desperate to raise money for our general fund, but more importantly for our scholarship fund.  We give out two $500 scholarships each year - not a lot of money, but better than a sharp stick in the eye - and our funds are nearly depleted because we've had such low participation any fundraising efforts the last few years. There are a couple of other events in the area (Rhododendron Parade and Humboldt Pie Event) and it's supposed to be a nice weekend, so hopefully there will be lots of people out and about. Keeping fingers crossed tomorrow is successful.

Okay - I have LOTS of work to do, so I guess I best get to it.  Have a wonderful weekend, folks ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

Morning all.

Milestone run this morning... 20,000 miles of running!!!

I started running back in June 2004 just before my 48th birthday. Primary goal was to lose a bit of weight. I had never done anything more athletic than riding a bicycle at that point in my life. Thirteen years later and I've run over 30 marathons, BQed & ran the Boston Marathon twice, rode 3 century (100 mile) bike rides including 2 Hotter than Hell Hundred rides, and have completed 2 Half-Ironman competitions. It's been GREAT!

Paul

Mta: Yes I'm a geek & have logged all my runs on a spreadsheet since 2004 (+Eric imported them into the RA log when the great CR migration occurred).

Dave59

An easy 3.2 this morning.  I'm taking the afternoon off. Just too tired to think straight and I don't feel like faking it.

I signed up for a 5k at the "Rally for Autism" event tomorrow.  I hope I have more energy tomorrow.

Congratulations pfriese. That is a great milestone.

TammyinGP

Amazing Paul!!  Congratulations!!

Tammy

Tramps

Milestone run this morning... 20,000 miles of running!!!

I started running back in June 2004 just before my 48th birthday. Primary goal was to lose a bit of weight. I had never having done anything more athletic than riding a bicycle at that point in my life. Thirteen years later and I've run over 30 marathons, BQed & ran the Boston Marathon twice, rode 3 century (100 mile) bike rides including 2 Hotter than Hell Hundred rides, and have completed 2 Half-Ironman competitions. It's been GREAT!

Awesome, Paul!

I hope the great feeling that comes from all those accomplishments fuels you for your marathon this weekend.  You've got a lot to celebrate and be proud of!  Enjoy!

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations, Paul!

14.2 miles on the D&L Lehigh Gorge trail (path) in NE PA.  No tree canopy yet and it felt hotter than last July when I ran that trail.  Made it, but it was a struggle.  Carried my handheld water and my husband came by on a bike a couple of times with water.  Pretty deserted out there this morning, but no bears!

Met up with Rockenmomof5 and Wannaberunner (Pam and Kristen) if some of you know them.   Rocken is very sick with a couple of rare diseases for which there is no good cure, unfortunately.  Wannabe just ran Boston and got engaged!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I remember Rockin'.  Will keep her in my prayers.

Paul - Congratulations!!!  And good luck with your race this weekend.

. . . does it make me a bad person that I have no interest in seeing a former co-worker's new baby (she dropped by with him/her today - didn't even know she was pregnant, I have no contact with her), but if it had been someone's dog I would've been all over it??? 

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

If I remember properly, Wannabe had achieved her goal--she was fast!  Hate to hear "no good cure".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tramps - no wonder I like David Letterman so much.

As Clint Eastwood said: "one of the benefits of the aging process is . . . not giving a carp about what anybody else thinks."

ps - nice maise 'n blue cap on the gal

but not sure the red colors match that well.

Leslie - good thing I subscribe to Eastwood's aging theory as I used to be annoyed so much at friend's kids being anointed by doting parents as "geniuses" as soon as they could turn on a light switch even before they could walk, being "most beautiful in the world," etc.  but now I absolutely know that I am just as annoying to others about my GS, . . . and I couldn't care less.  Could it be anymore annoying to have someone asked for an ID at the bank show a picture of his grandson prominently featured in his wallet (passport too) and ask, "is this good enough?"

paul - congratulations for almost running around the world in 17-years I still haven't done after 40 years and probably never will now.

However, be sure to add that IM I think you were talking about at one time to the list, even if it might not be as competitive as your half Irons might suggest or as you might like.  Even the finish line of 100-milers pale in comparison to hearing your name followed by "You are an IRONMAN!"  (ed note: not that there is anyone around by the time he gets to the finish lines of the former.) The IM's were just as much a thrill at nearly 17 hours at ages 63 and 64 ten years ago as 14:02 was at age 44, now 30 years ago but just as vivid as if yesterday.  It'd take more than twenty hours, if not at least 30 since I've always been a poor swimmer, now, though, so, unless you don't plan on slowing down any in the next ten years, don't wait too long.  Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Could it be anymore annoying to have someone asked for an ID at the bank show a picture of his grandson prominently featured in his wallet (passport too) and ask, "is this good enough?"

And I gave up giving a carp about what anybody else thinks a long time ago. 

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

pfriese

Good thing I retired & stopped shaving before Letterman; otherwise folks might think I was copying him. 

Paul