Masters Running

Teaching Thursday - 2/8/2018 (Read 37 times)

Dave59

Rather than be a good person and do some shout outs on yesterday's thread, I will selfishly ask some questions for my own benefit.

I ran 4.3 at the park this morning.  26° and light snow.

I wore my new Garmin 235 and it gave me a message about my Aerobic Training Effect:

Overreaching - This activity was very demanding. While it can significantly improve your cardiorespiratory fitness, it can become harmful without enough recovery time and should be done sparingly.

I know I am not it the greatest of shape, but calling a 4 mile run at 10:20 pace "overreaching" kind of surprised me. I guess I am just wondering what you think, especially if you have a Garmin that gives a Aerobic score at the end.

I guess that's my only question. The watch also told me I had a VO2 max of 40. I've heard that termed tossed about for years but I usually tune it out. I looked at some charts and 40 was "good" for age 59 male.  Not "excellent" or "superior", just good.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And they are?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

My question is: Where’s Jay?

Tammy—Good luck with your brother. My oldest brother had a scare this Fall, too.  He had bladder cancer back in 2009 and has to get a cystoscopy every 6 months.  This time he felt poorly the next day but decided to keep his appointment for his annual physical anyway.  Good thing he did.  While in the waiting room, he went into violent rigors and was immediately moved to the ER across the street. Turned out he had developed sepsis from a urinary tract infection triggered by the cystoscopy. A full week in the hospital; IVs,  cipro…  Very sick and he lost a ton of weight but has bounced back is doing fine, apparently.

Anyhow, regular 5 miles on a somewhat blowy but sunny morning.

ETA, now that Dave actually posted a question.  I say pretty much ignore that Garmin stuff. You know yourself way better than an algorithm that tosses out generic advice. Yes, recover from your run before doing another.  That's not rocket science; you already knew that.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

And they are?

I got interrupted, so I had to go back and add my question later.

...dave//.........as a Cooperite since the '60s here's what I got

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_test

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Geez, good thing I don't have a brother--it seems like they're taking a hammering around here lately.   But I am glad to hear that all seem to be doing well.

Another bed magnet morning, although it was abetted by the amount of crunching I heard from cars going down the street.  Our earlier snow turned to rain, which turned to snow later in the evening, and then froze.  It would NOT have been a good day for running, based on the frozen ruts in the street and sheen on the sidewalks.  So I don't feel that bad.

Dave-  I'm still trying to figure out the whole Garmin aerobic training effect thing.  I need to do some research.

I'm still home from work sick (working from home so I don't cough all over everyone) but managed 4.1 miles on the treadmill this morning.  Felt a lot better than yesterday.  I rarely get sick, but I've learned that at this age I recover a lot better if I don't try to power through whatever it is.  If I rest as much as I can, I get better a lot sooner.  It took me many years to figure this out.    I did make it to the Vandy game last night but didn't put anything on Facebook since I  hadn't gone to work.  Smile   No one was too close to me, so I think it was OK.   We won.

2 miles on the treadmill this evening for 6.1 for the day.  Feeling somewhat better, and I have to go to work tomorrow.  I'm coughing and my throat burns from that, but I think I'll live.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good start, Dave, Tramps, Tomwhite, Stumpy and KSA. Sorry I'm late, but I had to get ice melt stuff on the walks at our office before heading off for an 8:00 meeting.

Dave, in answer to your questions, I agree with Tramps.

Wednesday’s workouts:
                  Dave59 (3 EZ TM miles)
                  Stumpy (3.1 mile lake loop in 21° temps)
                  Fatozzig (EZ single leg squats + 1 hr of core/st with hip/hammy stretching)
                  Tomwhite (60 min X-bike)
                  RunnerKSA (2.5 sick, EZ TM daytime TV miles)
                  Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
                  Holly (30 min of weights & core)

Falconfixer (5 EZ Am miles + 3 EZ PM miles + spin)

Surly Bill (5.1 EZ miles)

Deeze (4.2 morning vacation miles)

Evanflein (32 min of  pool running)

SteveP (EZ 2 miles)

Good luck to your brother, Tammy. I’m glad he moved on from self-diagnosis before he incurred more serious damage.Could’a been a lot worse than 3-5 days in a hospital. I’m a chicken with lingering pain - I at least want to know what is truly going on.

Tomwhite - exercise guru!

Good job of avoiding the need to visit a hospital for a few decades, Tet. Interesting that you went back to the same one where you were born. Did they remember you?

Seems that you needed some sleep, Holly.

I left the office at lunchtime yesterday as the snow continued to fall, made beef stew for two hobbled neighbors (1 broken wrist, 1 broken ankle), snowblowed the driveway and walks (1.4 miles of cross-training) as it was changing over from snow to rain, then made a salad and pasta for dinner.

The forecast was for the rain to change to freezing rain as the temps dropped well below freezing overnight (which it did), so I gave nary a thought to going out this morning. It was great to sleep in without guilt. Besides, I had an 8:00 meeting I had to get to. And the side roads were pretty icy/crusty as I was leaving, so it was clearly the right decision to sleep in.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

ETA, now that Dave actually posted a question.  I say pretty much ignore that Garmin stuff. You know yourself way better than an algorithm that tosses out generic advice. Yes, recover from your run before doing another.  That's not rocket science; you already knew that.

I think I probably would benefit from some runs/workouts where I keep my heart rate down in an aerobic zone. I get to the upper zones too quick and then stay there for most my run. I tried the Maffetone Method a few years ago but trying to do every workout with a low heart rate was painfully boring and I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome checking my heart rate every 3 seconds. I'm not trying to get real fast. I just want to have fun and be a little bit fit.

My brother story:

My brother called me a few years ago and asked me about slight chest pains after running. I told him what I knew about possibilities other than heart issues, which aren't many. I told him he should go see his doctor. That was a Monday, they put in 3 stents on that Friday. Less than a year later we ran down to Phantom Ranch and mostly walked back up.

Dave59; I was VO2 max curious for a while, and using charts and what my watch was estimating I was coming out mid to high 50's. I don't think it matters much, since most articles say it's mainly genetic, although you can improve upon it with exercise. I think the most usable metric for training and fitness measurement would be heartrate (other than actual race times). Also, the advice given by the ghost in the watch should be taken with a grain of salt. My Polar Flow app chart is constantly telling me I'm "very strained" even though I feel fine. The levels are Undertrained, Balanced, Strained, and Very Strained. If I wanted to stay in the "balanced" zone according to what the Polar Ghost thinks is right for my age/weight/height I'd only be running 2-4 miles a day at 9:00-10:00 pace.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

so apparently we share a common theme here of brothers with health issues, or scares. 

No run for me again today. I'm leaving work early to go help coach the HS mock trial team this afternoon on hearsay exceptions and character evidence rules. fun fun. Won't get home til early evening probably. It's a shame I wasn't able to run yesterday nor today - because these are the two days that our weather is the warmest - sunny and mid 60's. It'll still be nice for my long trail run in the mountains on Saturday (20! gulp!!) but it'll be quite chilly when we start out at 8 a.m.

Tammy

. . . but trying to do every workout with a low heart rate was painfully boring and I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome checking my heart rate every 3 seconds. 

Hahahaaa!!  I've tried to train by heart rate a couple of times, but it leaves me slower than slower than slow and, realistically, I'd like to not have a 3 mile run take me 50 min.  Also when trail running, I'd be frigging creeping up any incline to try and stay in the correct "zone."  So pretty much I run based on my breathing.  So long as it's not labored and I can talk out loud to myself with ease, I'm good.  I do have a tendency to not run as easy as I should.  I'm a work in progress . . .

Brother Stories - I'll just say that most of the people who my brother's history are surprised he's still alive.  Between incidents when he was a kid and as an adult two major car accidents, a major motorcycle accident, major oil rig accident, a suicide attempt, a horrible lymph node infection from a cat scratch on his foot that was thought to be cancer at first, and two ex-wives . . .   My poor parents. They went through the wringer with him.

3 miles in a crisp, clear predawn.  Things are generally feeling good, but my left toe has been feeling pretty stiff ever since I started motoring around again.  I think the better part of caution would be to talk to the doc about it.  . . . .although he's still trying to get me into orthotics. 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

I think I probably would benefit from some runs/workouts where I keep my heart rate down in an aerobic zone. I get to the upper zones too quick and then stay there for most my run.

Yup. "Runs lots; sometimes hard, mostly easy."

But you already knew that without the Garmin.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yup. "Runs lots; sometimes hard, mostly easy."

But you already knew that without the Garmin.

isn't that also diet info (in a slightly paraphrased state)?

..well, brothers huh??

...my Crazy Brother still hikes Zion Natl Park, and wants us to do the Grand Tetons

.........my Idiot Younger Brother has 20% body-fat and has been a Swimmer since HS..........also never picks up a Check.....

........ps........he's an Idiot because he's a HypoChondriac, not the Check Thing

(when I had my 1st Hip Replacement

he found some Dr to Scrape the ''necrotic tissue'' off his femur).......duh

he's also had Hair Plugs (and now has a ''Hair Island'' at the front of his forehead)

AND

got some Dr to put screws in each of his toes IN CASE HE GOT ARTHRITIS THERE

=============

50-min PoolRun nb, cf, ris, paw

................Good Running to Ya..............if you'' think'' your Femur has Necrotic Tissue you may be Insane.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....