Masters Running

Weds 10/29 daily , early... (Read 506 times)

teresa, belated congrats to your son's XC team on their regional win. Tall, that was a nice, fast, 5K. Good job. hopeful, I'm glad you got the ok to run. I hope everything works out well. breger, it sounds like you had a nice family visit. dg, I think you're being smart taking a little time to heal up. Good luck. Good job on the speedwork for breger, Holly, and PDR. This morning it was in the low 30s with some wind. When I went out there was some snow on a few cars but none had stuck to the ground. I got in 8 miles in bit over 1:17 for a 9:38 pace. It seemed a little hard but each of the last 4 miles was faster than any of the first 4 and the last mile was the fastest. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay, let me throw this out there. My DH said to me this morning, “What do you want for Christmas? How about air fare and registration fee for any race you want to run next year? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Does that man know the way to a runner’s heart or what? But I need to hedge this with a couple things: 1. DH gets a bit exuberant sometimes, and I don’t know yet if we can actually afford this yet. One root canal, car repair, or water heater mishap could shoot it out of the water. 2. There would still be accommodations and traveling expenses to think of. I’d probably have to try to shack up with someone, and unlike SR’s friend, I am not tall, blonde, OR single. Smile Still, it’s out there, and so it’s got me thinking. What would be a good 2009 race, besides Boston of course, where there might be a great boomer gathering, or at least one that would welcome MY company? Big grin
      This is so KEWL! I think it deserves a thread of its own though - because you are about to receive LOTS of offers Holly! p.s. Do you think your DH could talk to my DH? Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – you’re right. I don’t want to bog down the daily with this discussion, so I moved it to its own thread....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Holly, are you talking about a Spring or Fall Marathon...or either. I am looking for a 2009 Marathon where I can meet up some Boomers also. Hey, atleast I am looking for another Marathon before running my first one Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

29F; 6 mind wondering miles with the fall leaves greeting my feet and the stars smiling at me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

29F; 6 mind wondering miles with the fall leaves greeting my feet and the stars smiling at me.
              What a poetic 6 miles! May all our runs be so nice. I feel like such a slacker after reading Perch's post. I only put in 13.5 hours of work yesterday with a mere 4 miles with my 5K clubbers this morning.
                This is so KEWL! I think it deserves a thread of its own though - because you are about to receive LOTS of offers Holly! p.s. Do you think your DH could talk to my DH? Wink
                IF he won't, I will. COme to Seattle!!!!! Timbo If it would help alleviate even a soupcon of your TM, I could email you my marathon travel list. It's just a page that I use as a reminder, altering for each individual race (e.g., I did not bring tights to Maui). Let me know. Oh, and DON't RUN. I am firmly in Twocat's camp. Go back and read about Joanie. Speaking of, what are you NYC Marathon runrs planning to wear for the race itself? Anyone opting for tights? Short/long sleeves or anyone being brave and going with a singlet? Lopez posted photos of his dogs on the thread munch started asking for photo help. Very cute. I think my cat Spencer is bigger than at least one, if not both of them. And he is not fat, as he would tell you (he constantly lets us know he believes he is woefully underfed and has a voice like a Siamese.) We are supposed to get to 75 today! WIll run and check back with y'all later. grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                xor

For the record, the cat that the 9 lb dachshund liked to play hotbody with? That cat was about 15 lbs at the time (he dwindled to 7-8 by the time he decided to head for the farm).

dg.

dg, That's usually when my injuries take a turn for the better. Hope it is for you too! Big grin Probably not running today as I think my babysitter is sick. Mr Nono comes home tomorrow night, so I'll just push my 7 over to then...no biggie, but it has to get done tomorrow as we are going on the Auto Train to FL on Friday-Saturday. I don't think I'm allowed to run 7 mi on the train...and gosh it would really mess with the Garmin!
                    Thanks. that is just what I needed to hear! I like the idea of your running through the train... you could organize volunteers, have water stops. the silver streak. I meant to say the other day I love your logic. if it's not a running injury, we run. and (I'm almost done!) I'm glad Renee the dog didn't have another bad experience on the beach. {{{ Peter's legs }}} Holly, that is so cool! thanks Gordon. I have never heard of that one. I'll try it when I get home. TomS, nice run, faster at the end. If it was anything like around here that was lots of wind. you are tough. and thanks.. I'm glad you think so, I have to keep readjusting my head. I was all settled yesterday, & today I thought, well, that's enough of that!
                    TammyinGP

Tim, I think you'll do fine, but I certainly understand trepidations. I think lots of people start doubting their abilities during a taper anyways, but then when you have an injury also, it really plays mind games with you. I am hoping for a good race for you and no foot problems. Hopefully this rest is exactly what you need. I ran 6.3 mi with a friend last night and I'm doing a track workout tonight. My feet really really ache though, after every run, whether it is short or long, the soles of my feet hurt. Not just the heel, which would make me think PF, but the entire sole. I think I'm just getting old.

Tammy

evanflein

Tim, I know exactly what you mean by the difference of not running by choice, and not running because you can't. Believe me I know what you're feeling! Hang in there though, you've run right up to the last week and you were cutting it tight with just a two week taper anyway, you'll be fine. Twocat will be fine because he has such natural amazing speed and ability. I'm afraid I'm going to choke. I ran 4.5 miles on the treadmill last night, and I felt sluggish, fat and out of breath. Just two miles at MP almost killed me. I'm almost losing faith in the pool running thing. It's always served me well, but have never relied on it for 2+ weeks... Good news is my foot feels ok today. (not great, but not ow-ow-ow painful, so that's ok for me!) Aamos! I'd love to have your list of what you're taking for NYC. I've never been to the East Coast in the winter. Hally assured me jeans were ok for dinner out with my friends on Sunday night, but other than that I'm sort of at a loss. I'm planning on wearing my running skirt and singlet... but I'll have stuff over that for the wait. If the weather holds as showing now (Sat night low 42, Sunday partly sunny, high 52, "real feel" 46), I'd roast in tights. Will need to take a trip to Value Village today to get throw away stuff.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Anyone opting for tights? Short/long sleeves or anyone being brave and going with a singlet?
                          Hey Amy, you forgot one other option.............shirtless Smile. Surely I won't be the only one will I Tongue Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Speaking of, what are you NYC Marathon runrs planning to wear for the race itself? Anyone opting for tights? Short/long sleeves or anyone being brave and going with a singlet?
                            Well I'm a bit undecided on my complete wardrobe for the marathon...I want to be sure on the weather. However, right now the plan is to go with running shorts, and my NYPD singlet (which gets me an easier exit right after the finish to a waiting NYPD refreshment area while waiting for our ride back to the hotel and the post race party). I will have both a short sleeve and a long sleeve shirt along with tights with me just in case. But right now the weather looks very similar to what we had for the Maine marathon which was IRC! Big grin

Marathon Maniac #3309

Quick thanks to everyone with the encouraging words...it really has made a big difference. Amy...tgreen 'at' spchevy 'dot' net...and thanks for your help. Funny today at lunch: I was looking in the office fridge for something to ice my foot down with. A pack of hot dogs looked like they would do the trick, and they had been in there for a while. Then a sales person walks in and goes to the fridge and says "hey, who stoled my hot dogs" I just kept reading the paper like I didn't have a clue, as his hot dogs were under my foot Big grin Roller Coaster Tim

Tim...I can't wait to read your race report, you're dripping enthusiasm... 3.4 easy miles for me last night. Beautiful cool conditions here in the midwest. Lots of wind this past weekend, so lots of leaves on the ground. I'll echo mariposai...I love the cruch of leaves under my feet. Weather should be great for Beggar's Night. It's beautiful here today, I haven't run many days back to back, but I may have to consider it for tonight. Holly...a race for Christmas...what a cool idea! Janet