Masters Running

Thurs 3/5 Masters Daily...and Craziness (Read 585 times)

Mariposai

Just a sweetly slow 5 miler in the rain this morning. More snow is melting here and I can see more crocouses blooming. Have a terrific Tuesday you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

I love competing in Tri's.......I like the challenge of training for the 3 sports. And I really like the cheap buzz you get from 1 or 2 beers after finishing Big grin I just don't share my beer with those "elitist jocks"........Tim, I'll keep a few cold for you if we ever do the same race.
      I have to admit, the "Tri" crowd can be full of elitist snobs...better than everyone else mentality. I have some really good Tri buds who are not that way...but have a few I don't care for at all, because of their arrogant attitudes. I love it though, when I trash one of these snobs on a long training ride Big grin And yes, being a Triathlete can be a very expensive proposition. With my race wheels, my bike cost me over $5000.00, not counting everything else for biking - running - and swim gear. And the cost of Triathlons can be ridiculously costly....my last 1/2 Iron man entry fee was a little over $300.00 Shocked. Yep Slo, nothing like those couple of beers after a hard training workout, or race Smile. Hopefully we can hook up at a Tri someday, and enjoy a few cold ones....or 3 or 4...who's counting amongst friends, huh Glad most runers are generally nice folk, who support each other...really that way here at RA TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Wow, I must know a whole different set of tri folk. Those I know are all really nice and not even close to snobs. Many used to just run but with age wanted to spread out what parts of their body they pushed each day. Others figured they were not great at any one sport but pretty good at several so . . . My solution to the cold weather in CT today is to get on a plane to Irvine California for a quick business trip. I will be back on Saturday when, drum roll please, it will break 50 around here! In prep for a day of plane sitting I did another gym workout today. Normally I just do one every other day but tomorrow is out and so might Saturday depending on how the return flight goes. Oh yea, I think the gang here is being a bit harsh on the personalized license plates. Sometimes, I think, people just like the challenge of trying to get a message into eight letters and numbers or less. Maybe the tri driver just ran out of letters? Hey, could be. Good day running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, we've missed hearing about your runs with the J's - glad you're running with them again! Craneium, today will be my 5th run in shorts in March! Hope you enjoy yours too. It's been so warm here that I'm getting that telltale "runner's tan" with the tan legs and white feet. Mary, good luck with the operation! Big grin Glad you got out for a run with Brinkster today. SloHand, it sounds really nice to have your DD bike with you. I know I really love it when my DD runs with me. And congrats on your first bike commute of the year. I wish I could do that but it's 50 miles one way, plus 4,000 ft elevation change, which would kill me riding home! Holly, I looked up the Ohio motor vehicle code, and it says "As used in this section, "historical motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event is used for general transportation." Not sure a rusty old Pinto actually qualifies. Tongue Eliz, thanks for your upbeat post and congrats on starting your 4th year of running! Meg, sorry you have a sick kid! My DD stayed home from school yesterday with a cold and sore throat, but she felt well enough to go to school today. She's almost 16 though so I left her home alone. And your "18 again" mom sounds like a hoot! I went for a 4.5 mile trail run on the way home last night, in a state park that I haven't been to since last fall when there was a series of 4 trail races there. The trails are really nice, along a creek in the woods and away from traffic sounds. I should go there more often!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

So the first evening of Operation Mary went well for both Mary and Holly. Yea! No run this a.m. as I am feeling slightly more than mild pain in the belly button area. Think I pushed it too hard yesterday. Oh well. Roll eyes Will give it a nice easy try tomorrow a.m. Our local country radio station started its 7th Annual St. Jude's Hospital Marathon this morning to help raise money for the hospital. Interspersed with songs are stories from parents who kids have been or are involved with St. Jude's. I tell ya, the stories are heartbreaking, but also so touching at the same time. That is a very, very special place, and those of you with healthy kids, give 'em an extra kiss and hug today and send up a prayer of thanks that all you have to fight is the occasional cold or flu episode.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

CNY - I'm packed and ready to go........ Breger won't notice a moving van...... Twocat - not fair, not fair!! You need to stay and suffer like the rest of us nutmeggers. We'll try to remember to turn the heat on in time for your return. 50's sound surreal at this point. Eliz - congrats on the running milestone and thanks for sharing! My yoga instructor incorporated some chair work into the practice today. I thought using a chair would be wimpy, but she had us doing some challenging moves that I will probably feel tomorrow.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh yea, I think the gang here is being a bit harsh on the personalized license plates. Sometimes, I think, people just like the challenge of trying to get a message into eight letters and numbers or less. Maybe the tri driver just ran out of letters? Hey, could be.
                Well, he could have used these: TRI GUY TRI LVR TRIS4ME TRISRGR8 TRYATRI Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Carolyn, thanks for the well wishes for dd. Hopefully, she will spend the day lazing around and be back at school tomorrow.
                  And your "18 again" mom sounds like a hoot!
                  I forgot to mention that it's a convertible Mustang. Smile MTA after reading evry's post on yesterday's thread: that's the Grateful Dead, though I'm not entirely sure of the song title - Ahh Friend of the Devil? I can sing it in my head, though. I remember seeing them when they came to UVa some time in the late 80s. It was quite an interesting experience.

Once a runner . . .

evanflein

Not very nice of me, I know, but people do put these personalized plates on to make a statement. Maybe it's not always the statement they had intended. Roll eyes
                    And so what's so bad about making a statement? I happen to really like mine, even though around here only my DH and my boss know what it means... Operation Mary is off to a terrific start, and sounds like it's bringing along a few others in its wake! Good job and I hope you feel better soon. Nothing like feeling better each day to be the positive reinforcement you need. Congratulations, Eliz! You're doing great and I bet you'll be setting AG records before your 80's. I'm looking forward to outlasting some of the local competition, too, but some of these old birds are made of tough stuff! Sue, I hear ya. I'm out of knots in my mental rope. We got easily 4" of snow last night and could get another 6" before this system leaves. Maybe more. I'm so so so done with winter. I read my log from last year and at this time I was running tempo runs on the side of the road. There's no way that would be possible this year. TomS... I must say you surprised me today. Shocked Glad you keep your stress levels in check.... I beat the snow last night and had a really good run! Finally, I found just about the perfect combination of recently plowed bikepaths, daylight and decent temperatures for a mostly pleasant 10.5 mile run after work. Amazing. Some of the road crossings were very very slick, but the paths were in good shape and there was just a little wind out of the north that I was mostly able to avoid. I did stop though at the bottom of the big hill back to my car, and walked the last .55 mile mostly holding my gloved hands over my cheeks... 8:32 average pace, a few hills in the form of overpasses over the train tracks but nothing much. I'll RAL today, goal is 5 while while seeing what Rachel Ray is cooking up... (but if this snow continues, it might be easier to stay here at lunch and just run at home later... we'll see.)
                      Well, he could have used these: TRI GUY TRI LVR TRIS4ME TRISRGR8 Big grin
                      Maybe he was french, but trijacques didn't fit. Carolyn, I call your tan a teaching tan, when the weather gets warm here and we take the kids outside that is what happens to me.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hopeful, I'm sorry to hear about your frustration at work. My first thought was, like many others, of the Serenity Prayer. My second thought was the definition of stress - The result of suppressing the urge to beat the s--t out of some sorry b------d that desperately deserves it.
                        Big grin That is the best thing I have ever read and you hit it right on the head! Thanks for the giggle!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Drive-by posting (sorry)...10 easy miles plus some walking up icy hills. Crazy weather changes continue here too. Shorts and a T-shirt...and still 5 inches of snow.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I hate admitting this, but it's in the 70's and sunny here and on my slow 7.6 mile run this morning I saw a couple of guys with no shirts. No tri-jocks though. Did a stretch workout at the Y later. JD, sorry about your daughter being sick. The Saint had a root canal this morning, her second in 3 weeks and I sure do feel bad for her; she is miserable. Tim, I'm glad you can go out and do an easy one hour run like that. I think there is going to be a new you and you will like the difference. Regarding the license plate thing, I think anyone who has a vanity plate is an egotistical and arrogant snob. Spareribs
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cool plates, Ribs! I saw Texas license plates just yesterday. I zipped in front of the car so he/she could see my University of Texas orange metal decal!
                                Hey, Ribs - I was thinking of you during my run today. I was way overdressed for temps in the mid 30s with no wind and at one point thought about taking off my wind pants and running in my shorts. Didn't, though, 'cause I figured the fine for running with PANTS tied around my waist would be astronomical! Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com