Masters Running

Friday June 19 Sticky Runs (Read 462 times)

TammyinGP

holly, have you tried calling Tim?

Tammy

Mariposai

MaEcono, once again amazes us all. Way to go mama.

Mary, lovely girls!!!

twocat, just for your information, I don't find number crunching fun at all, but oh well...it has to be done. 

Back from a 10 miler, last LR before Seattle R&R. I had to move my LR to today since we are having a graduation party for DS1 and I know for sure I will not be up to running much tomorrow after all the cooking and partying. So, 6 miles slow, stopping to pick and eat as much cherries as I could from the orchards and then 4 straight miles at MP. Weather was sticky and humid. I lost 2 pounds of sweat in the process.

Now, off to start the fun with cooking. To be done today: BBQ chicken marinaded in mango and chipotle sauce. Then make some sushi, empanadas and fresh muzzarella balls with cherry tomatoes for appetizers.
      The potato, lentil and tabbouleh salads were done last night. Oh and green salad will come from my garden. Wanna come over for dinner?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Now, off to start the fun with cooking. To be done today: BBQ chicken marinaded in mango and chipotle sauce. Then make some sushi, empanadas and fresh muzzarella balls with cherry tomatoes for appetizers.
        The potato, lentil and tabbouleh salads were done last night. Oh and green salad will come from my garden. Wanna come over for dinner?

Yes, please!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Timbo just sent me this e-mail, and asked me to post it at RA:

My head is spinning because of all I had to go through. My Angiogram
          went fine as there were no blockages, as I or the Doctor didn't think
          there would be because of the good Tri I did last Sat (would have been
          hard to do that with blocked arteries) But there was a small leak found
          in my Mitral Valve, and was repaired much the same way a Angiogram is
          performed. (I really don't know what I am really talking about with some
          of this stuff, so I can only describe things the best I can) So, to
          repair the leak in my Mitral Valve, a catheter was put into my groin
          area and was ran in the leaky area of my heart, where an umbrella type
          device was installed which fixed the leak. Luckily, my Hospital is only
          one of a few in the Country who can perform this procedure, without it
          being open heart surgery. The heart Doctor said that this is a good fix,
          and shouldn't have any problems....but will need to monitored every year
          of so, but no biggie really. But left alone, this could have been a huge
          issue fairly quickly....I was lucky there.

The worse part was trying to find out why I was having Cardiac
          Arrhythmia, and I think I got 100 different diagnoses. When I was in the
          Hospital Sunday after my episode collapsing, I had to have a Cardiac
          Defibrillation done a few times to get my heart beating properly again.
          I remember that Sun morning while running, feeling those "funky" beats I
          talk about sometimes, but didn't think a lot about it. Then that one
          time at about 2 miles into my run, where I had that long hesitating
          beat, then that pain in my chest that felt like someone hit me in the
          chest with a bat...I was stunned and scared. The Cardiologist told me
          that this was simple my heart jump starting itself much like jump
          starting a car....simplistic I know. At one point they purposely caused
          my heart to do the same think and they asked....is that the pain /
          sensation that you felt Sunday morning...I said yes, that is the exact
          pain or discomfort I felt.

During my Angiogram, the Nurse told the Doctor that my HR had dropped to
          a very unsafe level... it was 42 bpm, which is where I am almost
          everyday at some point. So based on that, he diagnosed me with
          Bradycardia: where the HR and pulse is slow, and does not pump enough
          blood for the bodies needs. He said that is why I had been having
          problems with my running as of late. This jackass (sorry, but) told me
          the normal HR for a man over 40 or so should be absolutely NO lower than
          60 bpm and if it is, it's dangerous. I then thought about everyone at
          RA, and most people there have lower heart rates because of being in
          great shape. I told him my resting HR had been that low for many many
          years due to cycling - triathlons - and running, and all the time spent
          training for these events. He then tried to put me on a drug to speed my
          HR up...and I told the ignorant - out of shape fatso no way.

While wearing a Holter monitor all day Monday, it showed I had around
          65,000 beats in a 24 hour period. This particular Doctor told me that a
          normal person should have at least 100,000 beat per day, so I was
          lacking which was causing my problems. I then remembered having a
          Colonoscopy about 4 years ago where the nurse told the doctor during the
          procedure.....Doctor, his HR has dropped into the low 40's. The doctor
          told the nurse....OH, he's a Triathlete so that is perfect for him. I
          had my files pulled from that Colonoscopy and had this Heart Doctor look
          at what my resting HR was then 4 years earlier. He didn't say much other
          than, he had never treated anyone with such a low HR before. I thought
          to myself...COME ON NOW, this is a trained Cardiologist that doesn't
          know about fitness and low resting heart rates...unfreaking believable.

My regular Doctor Friend stopped in to see me, and I explained all of
          this to him...he was appalled. He got me a new Cardiologist that
          understood the heart and athletes. (hehe, does that make me smarter than
          a 5th grader....and a Cardiologists, LOL)

During my time in the Holter Monitor, it was established - by my new
          heart Doctor - that my 65,000 beats in 24 hours was perfectly normal for
          me. But the big problem was, that around 25 to 30% of the beats where
          considered irregular. I told the Doc about my acute awareness of my
          heart beats and that I can feel these missed or funky beats all the time
          - he said with a smile... that must be a Joy. One thing to consider is
          having a few missed beat (he called them Ectopic Beats) is fairly
          common, but most people are not aware they have them.

My problem was how many of these Ectopic Beats that I had in a row. He
          said most of mine were 3 beats....then a missed beat, over and over for
          fairly long periods of time, which was very dangerous and concerned him.
          He did say that while my heart would be in this state of irregular
          rhythm, that my heart could be about 50% less efficient and that could
          very well be why my running has been suffering at times. I questioned
          him about my Tri last Saturday and doing well. He said that I obviously
          didn't have these kind of problems everyday, but he did say that hard
          effort probably made things worse for me....but he said inevitably it
          would have gotten worse anyways.

Boy, I am really trying to make this short.

I then had many many more tests done through out the week, and spent
          quite a bit of time on the TM having my heart checked out while running.
          (see, I was no a slacker even while in the hospital) I was put on many
          different medications to try and find one, or a combination that would
          make my heart beat normally on its own. There was also talk of a
          Implanted Defibrillator, but they wanted to try and correct this with
          Meds first.

During this whole time I was wearing another heart monitoring device
          that tracked my heart beats 24/7 (forget the name of that one) Finally,
          after 1 hour of doing another stress test on the TM yesterday (Thurs)
          and 30 minutes this morning, every looked "fairly" normal. And they
          think they my have found a good combination of drugs to help me.

As far as a technical name for my problem...they never really found out.
          But I heard - Cardiac Arrhythmia - BradyCardia - Ventricular Tachycardia
          - Atrial Fibrillation, but they never narrowed it down to me really
          having any of these (I in no way remembered these on my own) But I had
          the Doctors write a bunch of stuff down, so I could study on my own to
          "kinda" try and understand.

So, here I am at home....relieved, but still nervous I guess. I can
          exercise, but have to keep my HR at or below 120 bpm till my next check
          up next Friday. I can run, but to keep my HR that low in the heat, I
          will have to jog slowly and will probably have to combine slow running
          with fast walking.....that's Kewl! And I will need to start wearing my
          HRM, which I never do while running. Cycling will be a great option too,
          because that is easy to keep my HR lower while spinning.

Oh yeah, I also was diagnose with an Enlarged heart. But was told by my
          new Cardiologist that this in fairly normal with endurance
          athletes...but could possibly be an issue way down the line some where.
          But he told me not to worry about that at all. He said if all goes well,
          I should be back doing what I was before - running wise -  in about 4 to
          6 weeks. But he did encourage me to still workout everyday, but just
          remember to keep my HR at 120 or below. Then after my next checkup he
          will raise that to 130 bpm and so on.

Whew, what a ride....

Hey Holly, I can't copy and paste this for RA. And even if I did, it
          wouldn't have paragraphs and separations which you and most people know.
          Besides, my internet is messed up right now (MSN) so if you want to post
          this at RA, that would be great. Did you mention my heart problems there
          (never mind, as I received MANY Emails from the good RA folk) I have not
          been to RA since this whole ordeal. I had internet access at the
          Hospital, but had a problem with my password and logging in (sigh, as I
          missed everyone.

Other than all of this, everything is fine, LOL.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, what an ordeal Tim's been through!  Sounds like he logged quite a few miles on the hospital treadmill, too.  Surprising that a cardiologist would have no clue that athletes have lower resting heart rates.  Duh! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

wow - that sure is an ordeal!

Does Dr. Dale post here also? I know he is over at KR, but I sometimes forget who the dual posters are. I'd be curious if Dale would have any other type of feedback to all this.

I just returned from what was supposed to be a trip to the Urgent Clinic with my son, but because of the long wait even there, we just headed over to his pediatrician's office. Fell at home and cut his shin open. Needed a couple stitches. And then of course, the ice cream treat at DQ for being so brave.

Tammy

Wow!  What an ordeal.  Thanks for posting that, Holly.  It's a relief to finally hear from him.

Went out to do my court run, drop a large mailing off at the post office - - - - no addresses on the envelopes.  The postal guy gave me one of "those grins," and says, "I don't think these will make it to their destinations." Truly a brain fart moment.  Thank goodness all the envelopes have the same thing.  What a bonehead!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, nice to know other people do things like that...

So... is Tim still coming to Seattle?? If he has a paid-up ticket and a place to stay...?

I really can't believe what this guy will go through to get out of running a marathon...

TammyinGP

Leslie, nice to know other people do things like that...

So... is Tim still coming to Seattle?? If he has a paid-up ticket and a place to stay...?

I really can't believe what this guy will go through to get out of running a marathon...

marathon or no marathon, I guess his decision to come will depend on whether or not he can keep his HR below 120 bpm being in a house with a bunch of RA goddesses.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

marathon or no marathon, I guess his decision to come will depend on whether or not he can keep his HR below 120 bpm being in a house with a bunch of RA goddesses.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Well we have SUN!!!!!!!    My 5 yr old sang a made-up song to honor the sun for about 15 min when she got up and saw it. 

Way too kewl

Thanks for the Tim update Holly. I was wondering if he was meeting women while in the hospital.

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

I bet Tim got at least a couple of nurses' phone numbers! 

I had another absolutely wonderful trail run after work!  I sure love Colorado.  5 miles in just under an hour.  Not a super technical trail so most of it was runnable.  When the grade gets to a certain point (not sure exactly what it is) I walk, but this trail had lots of low-angle hills that I could run.  There was a beautiful early evening light on the hills, and it was so peaceful.  I saw 5 mountain bikers and a herd of mule deer.  Wow.  I wish all of you could come run this trail with me.  Freaking beautiful.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

he did encourage me to still workout everyday,

but just remember to keep my HR at 120 or below. 

thank you holly.

okay tim, it that`s the case, it`ll either be run a slow marathon with me or maybe get a bike or something for logistics and be available for the goddesses along the way.  Check with Mr. Erika, he`s an expert at finding goddesses at predetermined checkpoints

Just in case though, I think I`ll go run around the Imperial Palace in 8.4 times in 6:52:01 on Saturday..  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

It's kewl that Holly and CNYrunner get to pal around on some runs.

Thanks for the picture Mary.

(((((Leslie's Kitty)))))

Tag and I are packing our capes WildChild

Rest day. Around twilight, I convinced DW to drive to a park/swamp the school kids have adopted. Each spring, all the grades are hauled out there and the evaluate what's happened since the previous spring. For example, what brush pile they gathered now houses wild life, what moved into what size bird house. The last few years, the older kids have set dock sections through the swamp. They're a little too tippy to try and run on. It's very kewl though. As it got darker, DW got closer. I carried her on my back though some of the softer parts. When we got to a pond on the return trip, we paused on a bridge and watched to fire flies dancing on the opposite shore. We circled the pond to join them. While we held each other close, I sang DW songs as we joined the fireflies dance.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #3309

I was going to mention getting some Nurses numbers, but SteveP stole the show....what a good (Bat) man, really Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!