Masters Running

Wed Aug 6th Possible / Hopefully Ribs Is Out Day (Read 479 times)

DickyG

Like everyone else, looking forward to hearing some of Ribs' hospital stories.. 25 years ago today: According to my 1983 Jim Fixx "The Complete Runner's Day-byDay Log And Calendar", I did a 5-mile workout in 38:26..boy, how the mighty have fallen! Timbo: Will be interested to know how you like the Adrenalines...in the past I've tried a few Brooks models & they never seem to fit right, but the Adrenalines have gotten terrific reviews. Outstanding 9-miler in the heat Monday night. Bruce: Wonderfully consistant 1000's...excellent. Holly: Any pain on the treadmill? Karin: Don't you do any recovery runs at all? You're getting too good...but can you throw a 50-yard spiral?....neither can I. Kevin: Good luck with exam..."I remember now why I was happy to get out of school"...I still have nightmares about having an exam next day and not having cracked a book all semester....and a nice job on your fastest training run. NoNo: Dad's health sounds like it's taking its toll on entire family..but you know what?...that's what families are for. Continued best wishes. BTW, Hershey Park rocks! My sister & brother-in-law live in Harrisburg so we try to go when we visit. TomS: HUGE effort on your 9-miler! francesca: You're doing marathons in consecutive weeks?...wow. Peter: Tough run...looks like we both have the same weather. Perch & Breger: Killer runs for you both...so what else is new. Also very H&H here...did 4 miles in a rather slow 38:29 (9:37) but the good news is that I ran the entire distance without walking, a first since my groin injury. Another cool tidbit: One of #1 son's golfing pals qualified for the U.S. Amateur...I think it's at Pinehurst this year. DickyG
    lamerunner

Good morning all. Very rainy morning here in NH. Fortunately I got my run done before it really got going. I ran 9 miles, 8 at a "tempo-esque" pace, not timed but much faster than normal, then a one mile cool down. I felt pretty good. DS is getting soaked at soccer camp... Hope to hear from Ribs soon

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary - how is Nellie doing?? Pictures???
        She is doing better now after a set-back last weekend. I was up with her all night Saturday night, poor little thing. Trying to get some meat on her bones now. Luckily I can bring her to work with me for some extra TLC. Thanks for asking!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Glad to see ribs is going home. Went inside so I could use the pool after my 4 mile run on the dreadmill. H & H provided on request. 200 meter pool swim.
          Dave59

You know what I don't understand? If I would do about 20 minutes a day of some simple core exercises and stretching I could reduce my lower back stiffness, enrich my running and improve my overall quality of life. Yet, I skip it almost everyday. Would someone please explain to me what is wrong with me?

dg.

'morning! just time for a quick post. getting out the most important part... best wishes to the whole Ribs family. I hope today turns out as planned. Can't imagine it not, with all the determination you have there & that is headed your way from the rest of us. Happy Day!! a little cross training this morning... about an hour of Mark Verstegen's prehab, callanetics, & a few other things. then gentle stretching, then ice. Roch, thanks for updating us yesterday. DickyG, what great progress. phew! Sue, thanks for the shoe suggestion, I'm looking for some right now. Glad camp was a success. Pictures? Mary, thanks! kiss the little sweetie for me. have a good day, everyone.
                Sounds like things are getting better Holly, that 4 mile run, I assume no twinges?? Hopeful - glad the pup is getter better {{nono}} Byll, Perch, maybe you can blame the heat? It was 85F yesterday evening so I went to the gym. Not very busy there. Got my fav machine under the vents but it still seemed perhaps a degree or two warmer in there than usual. I was feeling strong (and fat - went swimming in the afternoon...which revealed the ugly truth). So I did my standard Tuesday night tempo (TNT) workout, but I upped the speed this time, and managed not to die. 1 mile w/u @ 5.6mph 3 x 2 miles @ 7.2mph (8:20 pace) 1 mile c/d @ 5.6mph Guy beside me on the first fast 2 miles gave me a big thumbs up when he/I finished. We were in step most of the time, with the same cadence. I think I helped him finish his workout. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Really busy day yesterday I wasn't able to post my run as I had to show one of our apartments last evening (of course the prospective tenants got lost) so here it is: Tuesday - 8.01 miles - 1:05:10 (8:09) - I went out easy and made this a nice progressive run with a few sub 8:00 minute miles to finish it off. The quads are finally recovering from Saturday's 10K. Great news from the Ribs family, I too look forward to having him post again. It's just not the same without the old curmudgeon around. Nice runs Perch & Byll - gotta love Byll's comment "Ummm. Maybe we were dieing out there?" Roy - Your either brave or crazy or both! I wouldn't have said that even though my DW doesn't read this stuff either...my luck she would meet someone from the forum and they would make a nice comment about it! Wink DickyG - I only wish I had been running 25+ years ago...you haven't fallen...just slowing down a bit! Well I have a speedwork session scheduled for late this afternoon with Joel, of course it's pouring out and doesn't look very promising for this afternoon either. Oh well, that's just what we've had to put up with this year. I can't wait for this wet pattern to break if it ever does! Good runs all.
                  Mariposai

You know what I don't understand? If I would do about 20 minutes a day of some simple core exercises and stretching I could reduce my lower back stiffness, enrich my running and improve my overall quality of life. Yet, I skip it almost everyday. Would someone please explain to me what is wrong with me?
                    Same here. Every time in the spring I have great plans to work on my core to be ready for two piece bathing suit in the summer...but it never happens...maybe I need a stronger insentive than that. Shy Bike to work a-la-Econo day 3. The legs are starting to like the hills a bit more. I so love my old rusty bike. I call her carmen since I enjoy humming songs from the opera carmen when the biking is going tough. Carmen is probably 25 years old, she is rusty like her owner, but she is a beauty when riding is concerned (the bike not her owner). She came to me free, a yard sale throw away So glad to hear that tenderRibs is coming home today. Butterfly hugs to all who are resting. I wanna be consistent with my intervals like perch and bregerville are. What Holly said about Ribs being the cook Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

DickyG - congrats on running the whole distance this morning - hope this means the injury is behind you at this point. Mary - what a cutie - wish I could bring my dog to work with me. Enke - nice treadmill tempo run! dg - thanks for the nudge - I need to take some more pictures before Jesse is completely out of puppyhood. She was "working out" on the treadmill in the basement last night and DH had to bring the electrician down to show her off. He's quite the doting father with this dog.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly - good job on the run! Your run/walk pace was faster than my run pace today (slower than usual for me). Carolyn - I've been meaning to ask - how is your job going? Do you like it? 5.5 miles for me this morning. Only 62 degrees, but 99.9% humidity. Very slow - 1:05:35. I felt every step! One of those runs where I was thinking, "OK, I'm doing this for my children. I'm doing this for my future grandchildren..." DH corrected me later - "No, you're doing this for yourself!" Yes, but at that point in my run, I needed more motivation! Dead My ankle, at least, seems to be 100%. What a quick improvement!
                        Mariposai

Holly - good job on the run! Your run/walk pace was faster than my run pace today (slower than usual for me). Carolyn - I've been meaning to ask - how is your job going? Do you like it? 5.5 miles for me this morning. Only 62 degrees, but 99.9% humidity. Very slow - 1:05:35. I felt every step! One of those runs where I was thinking, "OK, I'm doing this for my children. I'm doing this for my future grandchildren..." DH corrected me later - "No, you're doing this for yourself!" Yes, but at that point in my run, I needed more motivation! Dead My ankle, at least, seems to be 100%. What a quick improvement!
                          It is so great to hear that your ankle is doing much better. I also like to do some self talking when the running is not going like magic...ever heard the song "I run for life"? It always inspires me to keep running for life. Great tempo run enkie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I don't think you're ever too old for roller coasters. What a great way to release pent up "whatever!" Dave - I have lower back issues, as well. And even though I seem to find plenty of time for all my other exercises, the back exercises always slip to the bottom of the list. Then, like this morning, I get done with a run and think, "Cripes! My back hurts!" Well, duh! . . . and I've learned to stay off the high heels. You been wearing any lately?? Big grin

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice runs...esp Perch and Byll. I aren't the 800 intervals just the best distance? Nice workouts! I did my intervals yesterday. Today was an easy 4mile run in the fog and drizzle. If it wasn't a recovery day I would have done an hour or two. Perfect running weather! Craig
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter

Marathon Maniac #957

Sounds like things are getting better Holly, that 4 mile run, I assume no twinges??
                                Well, er..., not exactly.... I still felt that sort of stiffness and achyness in my hip/groin, but not really what I would call pain, not bad, nothing that made me begin to alter my gait. It’s so hard to tell what is just stiffness, tightness, loss of fitness from so long not running. Shoot, my running is not totally pain-free when I'm NOT injured, you know? Always some part of me a-creakin' and a-groanin'. And at this point I'm so totally out of running shape that it ALL feels awkward and stiff and creaky. (The x-training is good, but doesn't really work the running muscles like running does.) Still, today I felt some improvement, and there was no residual soreness after stretching and icing, so no damage done, I think. Back to x-training tomorrow (just being on the safe side) and Saturday I’ll try to up the running portion. Nice workout for you last night, Enk, btw. DickyG - good news! Mary – adorable! Sue – I know, I was going to take some pictures of Dexter-Dog, but then DH took the clippers to him, including all his terrier-facial-whiskers. Now he looks sort of like a miniature hyena. He’s so embarrassed. Dexter, I mean (not DH). Mariposai and Teresa – I mostly run for ice cream. And my LR motivation (when I was doing LRs) was that if I ran at least 12 miles I could have a glass or 2 of wine that night. (sigh) It’s been a long dry spell. Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."