Masters Running

Wednesday, August 4th, Vacation Runs and Other Assorted Fun (Read 478 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

No run yet, maybe not any today.  Just checking in before we head out on a day of whitewater rafting.  We opted for the 2-man duckie rafts, as opposed to the big 16 foot raft with guide, so we should have some adventure, although this part of the river is supposed to be fairly mild and family friendly.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good morning Holly, and those who follow. No run yet here either, but I did want to report last night's run, my second of the day. Seems I do Twofer Tuesdays now, without realizing it, since I've been running with the masters club in the evenings. Last night we did three mile-repeats, staying together with our similarly paced groups of 3 or 4 people. I was either too slow for the faster group ahead of me, or too fast for the slower group I had been put with, so I ended up running at least the last repeat on my own. What with running to the park from home and the warmup with the group (MrOM picked me up afterwards and we walked a bit in the park too), my total was 5.25 miles for the evening. That was after 3.1 miles earlier in the day. I think today's gonna be a yoga day....

Enjoy your vacation, Holly. Good runs, all.

BlazinCajun

My internet has been down and haven't posted since Friday. Also, haven't been able to read posts.

Ran an easy 3.5 miles this morning. Last week was the first 40+ mile week since 2006 and I'm slowly building up to more miles. Ran 142 miles in July.

Sunday I officially registered for the Kiawah Island Marathon in S.C. When I cross the finish line it will be an automatic PR since it will be my first marathon. The race is a double loop course through marsh and maritime forest. Date: December 11, 2010.

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Have a great time Holly!!

OM - your doing well with your running group!   Nice of your DH to take a walk with you too.

WooHoo Blazin!!!    How exciting .... your first marathon!!!

Nothing for me this morning.   I did not sleep well at all last night.  I got up at 4:50, let the dogs out for a few minutes, felt the heat and humidity and went back to bed.   I think I got another 45 minutes of sleep.    There is always tomorrow.....

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...Good Luck Blazin'//.......I ran at Kiawah years ago...........all I remember is the Local Water tasted like Fish....

hopefully

they've fixed that.

=========

......shootin' then running at the trails...........supposed to hit 104 today..........ohboyohboy

..............good running guys............if you're Thirsty Enough, water that tastes like fish isn't half bad.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

That makes 2 consecutive mornings with awesome light shows and no run.

Last night I slipped out to get my run in. I started to walk at about 2.5 miles. I began to experience dehydration at about 5 miles. It was about as hot and humid as your ever going to experience in these parts.

It was a very miserable run.

Tonight my DS and I take off for Ames Iowa for a meet and greet and a tour of Iowa State University tomorrow. He's got the perfect storm brewing. He works at an ACE hardware store were he is held in very high regard and is all but guaranteed a position at the Ames store. I have a brother who lives in Ames and a sister right on the outskirts. Both have offered a spare bedroom. Now if we can just maintain the focus on this Senior year of high School......My DD got senior-itis in a very bad way.

Wishing you all a happy run.

Good morning Rafting Holly.

Nice doubles there OM!

Blazin, Kiawah is a very cool place to visit.  (Haven't done the marathon there though.)  Good Luck training!

Nice rest day Mary.

Sounds Fishy to me TW, very fishy.

Those nightly light shows are cool, Slo!

Today is my tempo day and since this is a cutback week I decided on tempo repeats rather than a continuous tempo run.  Nice symmetry on the weather station - 79° 79%.

8 miles with 6 x 1000m at 10K pace (7:40ish), 1 minute recovery jog between each:

7:56

7:52

7:46

7:41

7:41

7:34

That 1 minute recovery was probably a little short but I hung in there on the last couple.  Probably pretty near VO2 max on those.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

good morning!

Holly I'm glad you checked in.  Duckie rafts, I love it.  you're taking pictures, aren't you?

Hi Esther!   You're really running a lot!   Do you like Twofers?    do you like running with this group?  

Andrew, I didn't know this would be your first.  Very exciting.   Will you use any particular training plan?   Sounds like you're in a great position to start... better than I'll be when I finish this particular round!

speaking of which, I had a startling moment when I opened up the book with my training plan last night, (used it last year & am on the same baby plan)... I have sticky notes all over the place in it, &move them when they block what I want to read.   And so, looking at today's workout I realized that I was looking at week 12, & that it's a 24 week plan, & that the marathon is Oct. 3.        eeekeek.    No way could I make anything like that up, & it is base level to begin with.  Sighed a few times.    Then I realized (happy music & colors back)  that I was looking at the next level, and so fwiw, I'm at least pretty close to the prescibed numbers.    phew.

Mary I'm doing that too... waking up & staying that way.  maybe we should call each other.  Wink

tw I don't know how you function in that heat.

fishy water yum.   I think that I'd be at least as bothered by the why as I would be about the taste.

cut back week intervals this morning, the plan was  1 mile w/u, 3X1000 @5K pace, 3 min. recoveries. 1 mile c/d.  lots of polar (& user!!! mostly user) malfunctions, but I do know the first repeat was an 8:28 pace.  Which is  noway nohow my 5K pace.  next one close to that.  last one I didn't track at all, sticky buttons.  but I know it was slower than the first 2. 

I'm late I'm late. 

Renee the dog

A 2 miler with Renee this morning. 

dg, at least you are still on a plan! 

Blazin, congrats on your decision!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

No post from me for a while. Too busy but I've been lurking some. Just got back from a week on Martha's Vineyard. Managed 3 runs including a nice 14.5 miler while there. Ran over the "Jaws" bridge on every run (where the shark goes into "the pond"). We had a really great time although I did not get in enough running. Too much time at the beach, too many good beers and fried seafood. Gained 4 lbs.

Getting back to the grind now and ramping things up for the Bay State marathon in October. Had a spirited 7.6 miles this morning @ 8:28 pace since my legs are pretty fresh. I'm sure I'll get some fatigue back pretty soon. Ooh, and I got a new job I start 8/16. I like my current one but a better offer came so I grabbed it.

Happy running everyone.

Nice to hear from you Holly and sounds like a fun time

Way to go Blazin'!

Super twofers OrangeMat---I like the twice a day running when it works in my schedule---builds the mileage quickly and yet spreads out the intensity.

Dr. J is taking her second kid on the college tour this week. Sounds like a perfect plan for your DS Slo.

Track day for me today and fun because I shared the pain  work with a friend--ran 3 miles to the Smith College track-----8 x 800 @ 3:21, 3:21, 3:17, 3:16, 3:19,3:17, 3:20, 3:16 (1:30) and ran home for cd---12 miles total. We took turns leading each speed-up and that made the workout fly by. Our time range plan was 3:20-3:15.

Aamos! Never took our dog to the DPW here, but we had a beagle and we would have lost him there forever. You are right though, folks here either contract with a private hauler to collect their trash or take it themselves to the dump and along with their dogs. We do the former.

Nice tempo running breger!

Sounds like you're having a good time, Holly.  Love the idea of flexible tubing use on the kids.

Congrats on signing up for your first marathon, Blazin!!

Mary - I couldn't muster a run today, either.  Got up, fed the cats, sat down on the couch, and thought - Nope.  Ain't gonna happen.  It was one of those times when you're so tired, you feel a bit nauseous.  I'll either run after work, or just change up the schedule and do 10 tomorrow and upper/core on Friday instead of having a rest day on Friday.

Shocked everybody and wore a skirt and to work today.  The question: "Are you expecting the sun to come out?"  One can always hope.  We haven't seen the sun in 3 days.

I've "misplaced" the thumb drive of file I took off the computer at my previous job.  That thumb drive has my entire life on it.   I dreamed last night that I found it and came to work and was so excited!  . . . . then I woke up.   I know it's somewhere.  I just have to figure where that "somewhere" is.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I dreamt I had a part in a play but couldn't find my lines....and it was about to begin.  Classic unpreparedness/anxiety dream.

I'll join Hopeful, dg, and Fatozzig in the carpy sleep department.  I can sleep fine for about 3 hours,  then I wake up frequently until morning, quite frustrating.  It made me feel tired so I just kept on sleeping and skipped out of running.

Exciting Blazin!

I have a pipe dream of getting into marathon shape for next fall. - don't laugh, it could happen. (and a quick flight to Alaska?)

Holly, good  idea with the rubber.  My two must have got tired of being cooped up back there because my DD bit, yes bit her older brother.

I can't go for a run with the mice but I can certainly run after them.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Hey Enke! The more the merrier! I wonder if it's too soon to start a 2011 Equinox thread or survey to see who might want to come up? I need a head start on cleaning up my house...

Orange Mat is cranking out the miles with those doubles! Woohoo! Good for you. I've wanted to do doubles but always run out of time. Last winter/spring I was doing double workouts 3 days a week, a gym workout at lunch then running or pool run after work. Really boosts your fitness, that's for sure.

Have fun Holly! But I must say... I cringe when I hear "sore foot" reports. We used to have a Volkswagen Beetle (long ago) and all three of us kids would fit (barely) in the back seat. My mom liked it cuz we were within arm's reach.

George, sounds like fun and exactly how a vacation should be. 4 pounds is my vacation minimum, it seems.

Planning a RAL, just 6 miles so not the typical MLR. Oh, and my great find yesterday?? DH kept it at his office. Figured he'd try it as a chair for awhile. WTH? Go get your own!!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Enke - were you in your underwear?

Lift, step, spin.

Be nice to people at work.

Tonight, the dogs and I go for a walk.