Masters Running

Race Report: my 100th Marathon on Sept 25 (Read 27 times)

Joe618

Folks, I finally finished a race report of my marathon/ultra #100 in late September.   I wanted to capture a lot so it took me a while, plus some effort to find enough photos to help tell the story. 

Link

Enjoy.   I'm still amazed by our two sons training to run it with me...that was truly a fantastic gift. 

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

TammyinGP

best race report I've read in years!!
      what a wonderful surprise to have both your sons there.  This sounds like a marathon I would like to do some day. that's such a pretty area of MN and I like point to point courses.  Grandma's marathon was like that and I really enjoyed it!
      Thank you for sharing such a great write-up with us and huge congrats on #100!

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow!  Awesome report, Joe!  I, actually, choked up and had to fight back the tears a couple of times.  Congratulations!  Those are two great sons you have!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Love it!  Now that you're retired (again), maybe you can come back and write like this in the daily

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Awesome race report, Joe!!  Congratulations on #100 and on having such a supportive, wonderful family.  Your joy shown through in your writing.  Thank you for sharing your experience ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Great report Joe. Done running now that you hit 100?

mrrun

Great report and pics!  Time for another Boston, we hope.

Great race report Joe!! So awesome of your sons to plan that surprise and to celebrate your #100 with you - sounds like you are doing this life just right!! Congrats!!

denise

Excellent report and a great memory for you and your sons.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

This was just awesome in so many ways Joe!  I know you'd always remember your 100th marathon, but how wonderful that the memories will include being with your two sons who love you so much they wanted to be a part of it.

One of the best reports I've ever read.  Congratulations to all of you!!

pfriese

Awesome race, awesome meetup with your sons, awesome race report. !!!

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Joe - nice, very nice.

All I knew about Ely was a wildlife biologist/skier I knew when growing up between erika-and-murray lands in those days was from there but now it’s Ely-Ely-Ely in Ely town for me too plus Scandinavian signs and a canoe division that instantaneously made it one of the few marathons I’d’ve liked to have been able to do too. However, did any of the canoers go barefoot or in aqua-shoes or thongs?

Mariposai, along with Econo and others from the Boomer Days made my 100th way more memorable than it ever would have been but yours will be handed down for generations with, I’m sure, some Ely or the other running it too in 2121.

So nice.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Among the top RRs ever written, Joe! So nice for you and your family in so many ways.

BTW, I remember passing through Ely, NV a number of years ago; maybe you could try running a marathon in every town named Ely. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Great report Joe. Keep on running as long as you’re able to.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - great race and report!  So awesome that you could share this with your sons!  And you are right - those guys carrying canoes for 26.2 miles - wow, humbling....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."