Masters Running

OK Boomer (and beyond) Monday Daily 11/11/19 (Read 46 times)

Tramps

Just getting us started today.

(Every time I see or hear "OK Boomer" I think of the old "Boomers and Beyond" running forum.)

Enjoying the beautiful day before we get slammed by cold that some of you are already experiencing.

5 mile run for me.

Have a great week.

Be safe. Be kind.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Happy Armistice Day.....er, Veteran's Day.  We got a tasking/request for a C-130 to fly over downtown Montgomery's events.  I'm at home (for the moment) but I had enough volunteers (double time tends to do that) to cover the maintenance part of the request.  On the running front I met my friends at our local Marriott resort (really no idea why this beautiful hotel is here in Florence, AL...).  We ran down the bridge over the lock for the Wilson Dam and a bit over 2 miles out the TVA road (lit).  Then we headed back.  When we got to the hill/bridge from the dam up to and over the lock and did 10 x 30 sec hill repeats.  Even after yesterday's miles (which included 2.6 miles, mostly walking, with DW's dogs at the local nature preserve) I held up pretty well on the repeats.  Total of 6.04 miles.

Up here there is supposed to be "wintry mix" later today (I should be on my way back south by then) and Tuesday night it will be in the low 20s (or colder) here and somewhere in the mid-20s in Montgomery.

So I assumed (I know, I know) that our big local 10k (the Dam Bridge Run) would be the Saturday before Thanksgiving (as usual).  Not this year, this year it is on the 16th).  I don't mind the drive home, but I'd have to be back in Montgomery by 5 PM....so now I'm debating whether or not to come do the race.  Maybe I can find a substitute (to lector for me, not to run for me! )….

Holly, Nice Chuck T's!

Joe, great to read how well the half went!

Will head back to the Montgomery area today.  Need to get there in time to iron a uniform and teach my spin class tonight (assuming anyone is there).  History lesson tonight, the ride is inspired by the campaign across northwest France in 1944-45.  Have a greta day everyone!

Just getting us started today.

(Every time I see or hear "OK Boomer" I think of the old "Boomers and Beyond" running forum.)

Enjoying the beautiful day before we get slammed by cold that some of you are already experiencing.

5 mile run for me.

Have a great week.

Tramps, I was reminded just yesterday of the old B&B days when I was writing a draft for yesterday's RR. I've had a lot of PCs over the years, but I have always copied various files over and still have some that go back all way to the DOS days (anyone know how to open an AmiPro file?). Anyway, I found the draft for the RR I posted in B&B for my 2002 Detroit Marathon! That was 17 years ago and I was not new to the forum even then. So i was trying to think of people that were on it then and still posting here today, people like Henry & Marj, yourself, the ageless Tom White, etc.

It was also interesting to read my old RR and remember those days of effortless running and some of the people that I trained and raced with.

Recovery day for me today as I watch the snow flying -- 4-6" today and bitter cold tomorrow. I think I see the treadmill and bike trainer looming...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thank you to every single one of our Veterans and active-duty military for all you do for the benefit of all of the rest of us.

Thanks for the start, Tramps, and the reference to the old forum. Nice run this morning. I don't know about you folks, but I've been called a lot worse things than 'Boomer.'

Sounds like a nice run with friends, Falconfixer. Good luck with the spin class and the history lesson.

Good luck with the snow, RR.

The idea of sleeping in sure sounded good in my head this morning, but I got up anyway and was out the door about 5 minutes earlier than usual for 6.4 RW miles. I may need a quick nap at lunchtime, but I've got a lot of race follow-up to get started on between now and then. It was 43° this morning, and is supposed to be near the same tomorrow morning before the temps begin to slide through the day. Wednesday morning's temps and wind may be a bit on the "What, are you nuts??" side - we'll see.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Nice to reminisce about the old B&B site. I go back at least 20 years although I’m older than a Boomer. I think “Cool Runners” preceded B&B.. I ran the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati with some of them in 1999. Several are getting together this coming weekend for the Richmond Va. half.

I was planning to head out for a run/walk this morning before the big freeze came. I started out with Marj but my “good” knee started talking to me. I turned back and did some indoor cycling and then met Marj for a short walk. Will go out for further walks during the rest of the day.

Falcon- you aren't teaching spin class in the ironed uniform, right?    Thanks for the start, Tramps.  I had intended to start us but a cat started throwing up in my home office before I got to it!

Got outside before the big chill and "wintery mix" moves in here for 3.5 miles.  Legs were tired from the back to back 6 plus mile runs this weekend.  Today is our first day of "Dress for your Day" and I'm supposed to set an example as to how to do this properly, so I started out conservatively with black jeans and low boots and company logo sweater.  We'll see how this goes.   When casual Fridays first became a "thing" I was living/working in Dallas in the 90s.  We had a female show up in spandex leggings and a t-shirt that said "0 to Bitch in 30 seconds."  Our CEO was NOT pleased.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BIG THANK YOU to our veterans, as well as those currently serving.

When casual Fridays first became a "thing" I was living/working in Dallas in the 90s.  We had a female show up in spandex leggings and a t-shirt that said "0 to Bitch in 30 seconds."  Our CEO was NOT pleased.

I worked at a vocational rehab office for 10+ years.  It wasn't a dress up sort of office, but you were at least supposed to look nice - meaning, nice jeans, nice top, etc.  I finally had to sit down with one young woman I supervised and told her that while the dress code was casual, she shouldn't be wearing anything she'd wear to clean her house. 

And I am a hard core believer that leggings are NOT pants!  If you're going to wear leggings, you need to be wearing a top that goes down past your butt.

Joe - Great race report.  The love for your family definitely shines through.  Every time I read a road marathon race report, I start thinking about running Avenue of the Giants or the Redwood Marathon.  Then I shake myself back to sanity. 

Which leads me to - Quickadder - Trail Race vs. Road Marathon??  Trail race all the way.

Erika - You've never seen these bumper stickers?    I have no idea how it got started. I like coffee, but I can't drink much of it or I get the shakes really bad.

Image result for friends don't let friend drink starbucks

I just couldn't bring myself to get up this a.m.  Up and down too many times during the night with our old guy.  That's my excuse, anyway.  Instead I got up a little bit early, got to work by 7:30 and will leave early and hit the gym.

Okay - Off to the races.  Enjoy ~

Image result for veterans day monday

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Masters!!  I'm technically Gen X, so I'm enjoying all the Boomer crazy.  Weights and biking both done today -- it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so no biking tomorrow.  Now I'm off to finish my lecture for this afternoon!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For the first time I can remember in Seattle where Veteran’s Day usually has less going on than the Fourth-of-July which, at least, has fireworks at 10pm after mostly nothing all day long, for some reason this year, the city now is planning a big parade for tomorrow. Oh, that’s for the soccer team.

50 minutes of raking neighbor’s oak leaves on the driveway and north side of yeard and our cherry tree leaves on the south side followed by three miles and 1,000 Hillside stairs as daybreak revealed a thick marine fog that’s supposed to burn off for a perfect cycling afternoon. I hope so.

Erika - nothing wrong with two hours of excellent X-T shoveling snow on your own but not that easy to do during work days or otherwise when someone expects you to be somewhere else at a certain time doing something for them, instead. Did you boys used to do it? No snow-blower? However, I always thought more than an inch or two was pretty rare.

Tramps - about as much chance of me usin’ a snowblower as a power mower, or wearing running shoes, wet suit, tights, aero-wheels, titanium frame, garmin, or most anything else invented after 1943.

remember those days of effortless running . . .

that's for sure.

me too.

very nice:

BIG THANK YOU to our veterans, as well as those currently serving.

Image result for veterans day monday

nice too.

Never seen one in Seattle, though.

Image result for friends don't let friend drink starbucks

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Quickadder

Which leads me to - Quickadder - Trail Race vs. Road Marathon??  Trail race all the way.

I worked at a vocational rehab office for 10+ years.  It wasn't a dress up sort of office, but you were at least supposed to look nice - meaning, nice jeans, nice top, etc.  I finally had to sit down with one young woman I supervised and told her that while the dress code was casual, she shouldn't be wearing anything she'd wear to clean her house. 

And I am a hard core believer that leggings are NOT pants!  If you're going to wear leggings, you need to be wearing a top that goes down past your butt.

Trail race 1 - Road marathon 0. More votes needed!

When I ran my public accounting office in England, I had a 'business casual' dress policy which generally worked well. Around 1985 I had 2 employees, both young ladies in their early 20's and I took on an intern (daughter of a client) for a few weeks. One day the intern comes to work wearing what could easily be one of her father's plaid work shirts and little, if anything, else. The employees complained to me and I quickly delegated enforcement of the dress code to them - never had another issue.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

~

Speaking of which, today one of our paralegals (who is extremely overweight) is wearing black stretch pants, a shirt that is more like a sweatshirt, and converse sneakers.  Hmmm.  We don't usually have client appointments on Mondays because they are supposed to be "administrative" days, meaning basically staff meetings most of the day to go over our cases, but still....maybe I should wear my Batman shoes next Monday.....

No workout for me today - the bed was just too comfortable, so I slept in an extra 45 minutes instead.  Tomorrow it is supposed to get down to 13 degrees.  Bleck.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

anneb

Good morning Masters (Boomers and Gen X-ers alike). I am also the latter...

I woke up around 5:15 and did NOT want to get up - I peaked out the window and snow was flying and it was looking generally blustery. I got back in bed but then laid there thinking that I wasn't really ready to give up the current streak, so I better get up and do something because the evenings are generally not good for getting a workout in. So, I managed to get in 2.5 miles on the treadmill - I think treadmill season has arrived early! Between the snowy mess and the early cold/wind, I doubt I'll get outside until Thursday. BUT there is so much less laundry when running inside, so there's that.

Jay's description of the weather sounded right on, except Chicago woke up to that this morning. I think it was around 30 still @5am, but is now in the low 20's... and that wind  Luckily I got here before 8 and brought lunch so I don't have to leave the building until 5... snow boots and all today.

Congrats on your make-up half, Dave, and your marathon, Joe. And Roch had a good race in there as well. And Jay RD'ing... and so on.

Anne

....maybe I should wear my Batman shoes next Monday.....

+1

Today is a "Star Holiday," meaning that even though the courts are closed, we're open with limited staff, but we're allowed to dress casual.  Fridays are also jean days.  There have been times I've had to bite my tongue at what some of the young women would wear to work on these days, which was starting to flow over into the other days.  One of the partners finally laid down the law on what is and is not acceptable in a professional atmosphere, even on casual days.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

''the ageless Tom White,''

......thanks roch//.........but somewhere there's a picture of me that is Looking Like Crappe.......

======

..40-min PoolRun with flotation belt to loosen up from 2nd Harvest......

also

watching the radar here, it's definitely heading our way

but

a lot of storm systems break-up when they hit our Plateau

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dnaff

We have a 'real feel' of 10 degrees right now with a monster of a north wind.  We should lose another 15 degrees overnight.  Yesterday I was raking leaves in a long sleeve shirt.  Today I've been shoveling snow for an hour in 2 puffy coats and knee-high boots.

I'm going to search the youtube library for "yoga for after shoveling snow'.  Or maybe "yoga for after trudging thru the snow with your dog".

Anyway, I will probably put on a pot of home made chicken soup and curl up with a book for the remainder of this Veteran's Day.  I echo all the others:  Thank You for your Service!