Masters Running

Mon Aug 10 Runs (Read 381 times)

Say what? How can I be the first at almost 9AM?

Headed out at 7AM, which is the earliest start for me in a very long time, but had to beat the heat. I barely managed to do that, as the sun was really coming up during the last mile of my 4.1-mile run.

To try to stay a bit cooler, I wore just a headband instead of my usual cap, but was reminded of why I don't do this often: lots of flying insects around and I really hate it when something lands on my bare scalp. I was doing a lot of swatting around my head at real (or imagined) bugs.

I hope that someone else out there is running today...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, I am!  My RP and I got out about 7:15 am.  We met at my dentist's office, which is on the edge of a nice, shady neighborhood close to the ocean.  It was about 70 degrees and humid already!  We ran a very pleasant 5.2 miles.  My route Saturday was very hilly, so this flat route was a relief!  I feel as if I'm finally back in a groove, going for over 25 mpw consistently, I hope!  Thank goodness for my Pearl Izumi shoes - they're wonderful!  I never think about my feet anymore.

Good luck to everyone trying to run in the heat and humidity!  It may be close to 90 in Maine today, even!

Good morning Roch - one state over from you and warm and muggy here as well, even at 4:30. 5 sticky miles at a 9:56 pace with a couple of walk breaks. Just couldn't get any regular breathing in the heavy humidity. I truly don't know how Breger and our southern RA people deal with this all of the time. You guys are tough.

I free-lance for a company that organizes triathlons, bike races and running events. Yesterday I covered a triathlon held in Oshkosh. A woman doing the swim portion of a sprint was having difficulties and the life guards pulled her out of the water and started doing CPR. She was transported to a hospital but died on the way. She was only 45 years old. That was a pretty sobering experience for me.

Don't take the gift for granted today.

I've been in Northern Michigan since late Friday night.  It's been a wonderful, relaxing weekend with DD2 and her kiddies!  Headed back to the airport later today.

Saturday morning I got up and ran 16.5 easy miles in the drizzle and rain showers.  It was glorious.  The temps were maybe in the upper 60s ... don't know for sure.  There were a few hills and I ran them all except one that was even difficult to walk up.  The pace ended up being 9:01 overall.  Could have run more but decided to be smart.  (That turned out to me a wise move.)

I swear I get more wet running in the H&H of S. Fla. than I did getting caught in 3 different rain showers!

Sunday I ran a slow and easy 4 miles at 9:36 pace.  The legs were feeling the hills all day.  I figured today's run might be a challenge.

This morning I got up and started the warm up.  The humidity is plenty high but the temps are nice.  I promptly determined the legs were still feeling Saturday's workout even if the rest of me wasn't fatigued at all.  So I decided it would be smart to trim back 8 repeats to 6.

3 miles warm up

6 x 3 minutes at 10K pace, 2 minutes recovery jog

4 x 50 meters at 3K pace, 30 seconds recovery jog

3 miles cool down

Ended up with somewhere around 10 miles altogether.  Not sure exactly as the satellite lost contact a few times.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, gang!

Looks like heat and humidity are going to be the theme for the day.  

Doug - I hate those bugs that buzz my face!

(((((((((SteveP, Denise and Tim)))))))))

dg - congratulations on your 14 miler in the H&H!  Your pace was great - you'll really rock when the H&H go away!

Jlynne - I know what you mean about the H&H interferring with regular breathing - feels like you are trying to suck wind through a straw.   Death at 45 is not good - especially in someone in good enough shape to do a triathlon -what a tragedy.   Thanks for the reminder of the gift.

The crisp fall air was but a fleeting moment for southeast CT.  Temps struggled to get to 70 yesterday.  This morning, it was 72 and 97% humidity for my 9 miler.  Average pace 10:19 and AHR 156.  Totally drenched by the end of the run.  Yuck!!

DH and I took advantage of the cool weather yesterday and did 31 miles on the bikes.  There's a nice website with CT bike routes, and we found one that took us from Barn Island, along the river into Rhode Island and down along the beach.  DH (the most directionally challenged individual on this planet) insisted on using his new Garmin Etrex.   We spent half an hour loading the route into the computer to download into the Etrex.  So we didn't get on the bikes until 11:00.  Then we stopped about every minute or so while he played with the d.....d Etrex.  Fortunately, I brought a hard copy of the route directions and took the lead after about the first mile (or we'd still be out there cussing at the Etrex ;-).   It will be a terrific route once the beach tourists go home for the season. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

spacityrunner

Oh Jlynne..how awful...

DG, you rock!

Teresa, good deal on the 25 mpw...

Kudos to those of you that get out there in this swampy mess...DC is under a "heat advisory" as we are supposed to reach over 100F today...the humidity is awful and the air quality sucks...that is enough to drive me indoors  to the dreadmill.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Newseum and listened to Michael Lang talk about how he got Woodstock started (he has a book out).  Woodstock is 40 years old this month...it still invokes awe and wonder in me...

Posting last nights workout today cause I was just to tired last night...

I did a first for me, I did a 25 min swim, and then a 1 hour run (on the treadmill).  To keep me from going bonkers on the mill I mixed up the speed, but overall manged 5.2 in an hour.  The fastest was 10:30 the slowest was 12:30...it was kinda fun...and today I have no unusual aches and pains...yipee...

On my way home after my workout I passed a guy running (this is like at 7:30 pm) and I just looked at him and said, man you are one tough runner  as it was still quite warm out.. 97F

I liked that swim and run thing...might have to do that more often...

Good runs and good day everyone....

Trails Rock!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill.. glad you missed the MI storms I saw on TV! Nice workout today.

Just read about Tim's calf injury.. hope it heals quickly.

Reminds me of the three kinds of runners:

1. Runners who are injured

2. Runners who are recovering from an injury

and

3. Runners who are deciding which injury to have next

Liz.. I used to alternate swimming and water running. Great way to beat the heat!

4 Miles, 2 with Tory and Sadie and 2 solo at 8:30 and 7:55 pace. Kind of warm and humid 73F going up to 100 today with heat index 105.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Jlynne, that's really odd -- and shocking!  Probably a lot moreso for her family.  

Two recovery miles with Renee this morning.  Thought about 3, but turned around at the 1 mile mark, and called it a day as we got back to the house.  Gonna fit some yoga in today, so I didn't need that extra recovery mile. 

Tomorrow: REST!  Yahoo!    Well, if rest means doing housework, teaching the younger one swimming, going food shopping, etc......

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good Monday morning all Smile

Sorry to hear that Jlynne, that is sad news, my mom died at 45 too so I never forget that it can end at anytime for anyone of us.

Glad to see you running..smarter Breger!!  Nice workouts

Yep, more H&H here too.

Out for a 5.21 mi recovery run, 9:02 pace, only had a twinge in the rt achilles for about a minute after I stopped running and then it went away.  I think the active recovery is going great (knock on wood).

After everyone's comments the other day I realized I at least needed to report the bite so I did with animal control.  I also followed up with the owners of the dog.  The bite happened on one of my normal routes that I've been running on for the last two years and I've never seen or had a problem with this dog.  Turns out after talking with the owners that they just brought a baby home last week (their first) and they think the dog was being protective.  The FIL had just arrived and he was the one that thought the dog was in the garage while he was unloading his car.  It was really just an unfortunate incident.  The dog is usually in their backyard which is why I don't usually see him.  The owners took the dog in to have him checked out on Sat after the bite and I got all of their info and double checked with their vet, the dog did get his rabies shot this past Feb and his current on all his shots.  So again, thanks for everyon'e concerns

Off to the shower and then work ... Pleasant Monday and week to everyone ...

Amie

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)

Jlynne - how terrible!  I will appreciate this day.

4 miles, 61F and felt more humid than usual.  Funny how you can really feel it at the same temperatures from one day to the next.  My first mile came in at around 10:30 so I slowed it down, but at 3.3 miles after a huge hill I saw I was at 11:10 overall and decided it wouldn't be that hard to push a little to get the overall pace down under 11:00.  That would be for the first time since I started back running.  I did it (10:55), but it was surprisingly hard!  Back to slug running the rest of the week.

One of my favourite song lines, is in the song called, "the trick is to keep breathing", in the song by the same name by Garbage.  Whenever that comes on my iPOD, I think, it's so true, and it makes the running seem easier.  During my last hill "the climb" by No Doubt came on, I didn't appreciate that....she was singing......so hard to climb, can't turn back now....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

Hey Everybody !

I'm Home !  Didja miss me ?

So much to report but I am swamped here at work. So condensed version.....My running last week sucked and no long run this weekend. Guess I just have to work that much harder now. CNY is so going to kick my @ss with her Marathon time.......

Jylnne, Wisconsin has had there share a fatalities this year in the swim. I don't know what is going on there. BTW, love your town....we had a blast in Green Bay. The Hotel Sierra is a GEM !

I've gotta get back to the tasks at hand just wanted to give everyone a quick wave !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Bill.. glad you missed the MI storms I saw on TV! 

Unfortunately we were not so lucky - we were in the heart of it.   Many trees and power lines down.   They are calling the storm "straight line winds" but the weather service is going to check out the damage as there are tornado warnings going around.    Our generator went out around 2 a.m. during the 3rd storm of the night, so this morning DH went out and was lucky to buy the last one at Home Depot.   Just got to work after finding a route that I could get through.    Good thing is - no damage to the house.

That is my round about way of saying - no run today!!   

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Cut back week for me this week. An easy 5 with DW this morning after all the thunderstorms passed. Thanks to everyone for their good wishes over the weekend.

Morning, Gang -

JLynne - I am sorry to hear about the lady swimmer.  A sad reminder to not take any of this for granted.

SLO - Of course you were missed!

Sue - Your DH reminds me of my friend's BIL and my BIL.  Hers gets lost in his own hometown, and mine loves those Garmin-esk gadgets.  Drives the rest of us nuts.

Rest day for me.  It's gonna be a sunny, beautiful day here on the ole North Coast.  I'm tellin' ya - those of you living in the H&H should come visit us during the summer.   We can have some bee-u-tiful weather here!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Busy, busy, trying to catch up at work - so much so that I am coming back tonight (after I feed the kids and drop off DS at referee-training) to finish a GAL report I need to file in the morning.  DD can play on the typewriter, which she finds to be a fascinating machine.  

No run for me this morning, but I did my usual lower-body workout and some push-ups, seated reverse flies, triceps extensions, glute raises, stability ball crunches and 5 pull-ups. 

I registered for the accounting class at the local community college, only to find out that I already took Accounting 111 and 112 ten years ago when I got my Legal Assisting degree.  I have almost no recollection of either class, but I got A’s in both.  

You wouldn’t think a 3-hour time change for only a week would mess you up much, but it was SO hard to get up this morning, in spite of turning in early.......(...zzzz....snore....)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."