Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 10.19.13 (Read 46 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

No recap today - I've got, got, got no time.

We tried to see the eclipse last night, but the moon was too low, still in the trees, and we couldn't see it clearly. Had fun trying, though!

E-Z, P-Z, 3-Z this morning, just to stay loose. It was 42F and delightful. The fool moon was still high in the sky, and was throwing enough light that I could see things and shadows, but not colors. So I was walking through a greyscale world, and it was pretty weird in a wonderful kind 'a way.

I'm off to an early breakfast with DW at our favorite dive, then I have conservation commission site walks and stops at the farmer's market and Trader Joe's and some yard work to do. One of DW's 6 sisters is coming in for a visit this afternoon, and we all are going to a dinner party at a neighbor's house this evening. Then I have this half marathon thingy tomorrow morning. Oy.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I had my chance for a bright moonlit run and let it slip by because I didn't want to get out from under the covers...Brrr...open window.

We have a suprise 50th Birthday party to go to tonight for my DW's boss...It's an office party of sorts...with relatives.

It's a work day...so I'll sneak in a RAW.

Tet's picture is a broken link...I'm not seeing it.

King of PhotoShop

Cold, clear and crisp morning at 7 today, when I did 6 miles easy with my RP at the park.  She is doing 16 today, so running the first 6 with me at my slow pace was a good way for her to start.  Felt super.

Hoping to go longer tomorrow before my flight to Seattle.    Spareribs

...mornin' guys//..............great pics of tet and his DD yesterday

==========

.........28mprnb

not really in the mood, but counts double that way

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys. Sounds like y'all have lots going on this weekend. Good luck with that half marathon Jay. And enjoy the company and great dinner!

Glad you had a good run this morning Ribs. How long will you be in Seattle?

I had my window open last night too, Slo. It was hard to get out from under all of the warm blankets. But I'm glad I did. First race since the pulled hamstring incident last February. It was only a 5k but I took first in my age group! It was another one of those "60 and over" categories and there weren't very many women, maybe 5 or 6? One of them was my 71 year-old sister Smile   Anyway, it felt so good to run a race again, and I was pleased with a 9:17 pace for my first attempt.

Off to farmer's market for some pumpkins for our annual family pumpkin carving contest. Have a great weekend and good luck to all of our racers!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mariposai might have to post pictorial proof of last night's goddess dinner when they gets off the road again but there must be something about dinner with family and friend goddesses that resulted in another foggy four miler this morning .  Sounds like a reunion shindig might be going on at her place next month.  For the time being, however, I can hardly wait to see how many goddesses come out of the woodwork if the ancient one has any extra time here. Sorry I missed the eclipse though.  oh well.

That's a good question holly how long is the i-ro-ha road climbing up to Nikko.  Both the up and down roads, each with the same 48 turns as in the Japanese alphabet are 7-8km.  Oddly enough, even though i'd love to do now that you got me thinking about it, I never thought about running the up and down routes before. 

Mikemp should be seein' lots of fall colors everywhere over there this time of year.

Post some pictures, if possible.

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=nikko+i+ro+ha+red+leaves&img=http://blog.newscom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/iroho-zaka-japan.jpg&v_t=wscreen-smallbusiness-n&host=http://blog.newscom.com/10-pictures-of-amazing-roads-around-the-world/&width=113&height=171&thumbUrl=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6Vt3VHeBjHRNabKSJq3OT878TH4zYHpo4aimhdyUqojub2GOK_GlQ8UM:blog.newscom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/iroho-zaka-japan.jpg&b=image?s_it=imageResultsBack&v_t=wscreen-smallbusiness-n&q=nikko+i+ro+ha+red+leaves&oreq=cee9ba6916ab40f8afd1063f739e1697&imgHeight=679&imgWidth=450&imgTitle=10+Pictures+of+Amazing+Roads+Around+the+World+|+Newscom+FocalPoint&imgSize=152234&hostName=blog.newscom.com

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

WTG Jlyyne. 1AG is great.

Cold and rainy here so I bagged the HM and ran some on the treadmill and when the skies cleared ran 5 with my son. Much better decision in my opinion. Now off to watch ND vs USC with three 12 yo boys. Oh my.

farmers markets are awesome. We should visit ours more often. Oh and I love the pumkin Pie (symbol). We will have one too.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Happy Saturday Everyone,

Good 12 miler on the bike trail, 1st 9 w/DW then 3 more at marathon pace.

Off to funeral home then my alma mater's homecoming game GO Penguins!!!!

Congrats to the St. Louis Cardinals ( I'm a Cards fan since 1964 )  GO Cardinals!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

WTG Jlyyne. 1AG is great.

+1

Ribs - Just curious - what is your definition of "cold and crisp" in Dallas?

Jay - good luck tomorrow!

I spent a ridiculous amount of time today sewing a relatively easy cave woman Halloween costume for DD today.  It has been years since I sewed, so I had to carefully read the pattern, then figure out what was wrong with the adjustment of my machine, etc. Still, it was worth it, because she loves it and it looks great.  The problem is, I won't be here for Beggar's Night because that afternoon is when we fly to Moab.  How will DH get her hair done up with the bones?  Joking

6 easy paced miles for me this morning in light rain and 42 degrees.

DD gets baptized tonight!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

8 miles at a 0:26 pace - felt sweet and easy. Stumpy was puzzling over differences in our runs, so true - recently I ran a Ribs' mile run. He suggests heading out for just a mile if you need motivation and chances you will go further. On that day a mile was all I had. Today I had eight of them in me and the last was the fastest and easiest. It is puzzling how different each run can be.

Well DG – you know me all too well. I did formulate a plan over a pint of pistachio ice cream.

ShockedShockedShocked   The March Movie Marathon!   ShockedShockedShocked

10 miles – a movie – 10 miles – a movie – 6.2 miles. What do you think? Are you in?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

evanflein

LaT is certainly getting speedy! Wink

Holly, good for you on the costume! When I was pregnant with DS1, I sewed almost all my maternity clothes, dresses, tops, pants... and most of his crib things (bumper, bedskirt, quilt), but I haven't done anything with the sewing machine in so long (DS1 is 21 years old...) that I'd have a hard time getting started now. Glad that worked out so well.

^5 to David on his race results, Tammy! That kid is so cool. And I don't think I'd be into the green tomato stuff either....

I've missed so much I'm not even going to try to comment on much more, except I agree that's a greta picture of Tet and his DD.

I'm in Vegas for a conference. Got in late yesterday afternoon and made it out for a run before dinner. In the dark, with the traffic. Now I'm mostly done for the day except for a reception later. I was going to go run, but it's 78° out there now and I don't really want to deal with the heat or traffic. I'm right on the strip and no car so can't really go anywhere. Maybe this is a good week to just take a break and really cut back. I have "homework" for the certificate program I'm doing today and tomorrow, and our sessions start at 7:30 a.m. so no real time to run much anyway. Oh well. Sometimes you just have to go with what life deals you, right?

Henrun

Family weekend. Marj headed up to NH to baby sit the grandkids while I ran my annual 4+ miles to the Charles for the Head of the Charles Regatta- rowers from all over the world-on a beautiful colorful fall day. The almost 1 year old GD is coming here tomorrow am (with parents, of course) for brunch.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  It's been a wet day here in Minnesota.

Against my better judgement, I went to the cross country practice, this morning...sore hip and all.  I went a total of about 4 and a half miles--pushing the girls like a mad man.  It never ceases to amaze me how much they appreciate me barking in their ears.  It's so cool.  Anyway...I can't explain, it but my hip feels better right now than it has since Wednesday morning when I woke up with it.  I think I might go ahead and take tomorrow off, though, just to give it a whole day's worth of rest.  Monday starts a new week...hopefully pain free.

I spent the rest of the day helping Eric with his project and writing a short sermon for tomorrow's service.

Okay--I guess that's all I got.  See ya!

A general holler out to everyone 'cause I'm pooped.

Although congrats to Holly's DD on her baptism!!!

Got my 4 in last night.  Today - 5 hours on the business end of a weed wacker, plus an hour on the riding mower.  Shorty spent an hour+ on the rider.  I kid you not, by the time we got done, I could barely lift my arms.  My forearms are TOAST.  We were almost done when the guy who hired us asked if we could weed wacker and mow around his ex's place right there.  On the outside: "Sure!"  On the inside: "Are you kidding me??? I can't even pick up the weed wacker off the ground."  Shorty got the rider going again, and I started wacking.  I could barely maneuver the thing.  I kept thinking, "This is how my legs have felt after a particularly bad race!"  But, you go the extra mile 'cause (1) it's what you should do, and (2) people appreciate it and recommend you to others.  I tell ya, every time I work along side The Hub, I appreciate all over again how hard he works every day.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Jeanne, congrats on 1st AG in your 5k!  And congrats to your sister, too, racing at age 71!   I've been in two races where the top AG was 50-99, and I felt bad that I might have won because I beat some 90 year olds... but fortunately, all the people I beat were younger than me!

Tet, I love your pictures of the iroha road!  I'd love to go there someday.  I've only been to Japan twice, and I'd love to go back.  Mike R, I hope you have a good trip over there!

Mike E,  I bet the pumpkin pi made you think of me because I'm a nerd. Okay, well I am, but you don't have to rub it in!  Joking

Holly, I miss making costumes for my DD.  I never used patterns - I just made stuff up.  I'm sad that she's all grown up and away at college.  Sad

I escaped the snow at home by driving down to south Boulder for my long run today.  My Garmin is in for service so I'm estimating 20-ish trail miles.   It was a nice day except for the wind - I had to walk some parts that had a full-on headwind, but it was mid 50's and sunny, so not bad.   Some of the trails I'd hoped to run are still closed because of flood damage, but I found a pretty nice route. Mostly out in exposed grasslands with rolling hills, but some parts had trees for some shelter from the wind.

Happy trails, everyone!

Carolyn

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.